Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Were Neverwinter Nights, Dungeon Siege, and other early 3D RPGs considered to have good graphics?

Deleted member 7219

Finally, a better screenshot. Yeah, for the time those were pretty good 3D graphics. Games have come a long way since then.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yeah, for the time those were pretty good 3D graphics.
Dungeon Siege, same year:
24917-dungeon-siege-windows-screenshot-another-house.jpg

Oh look, actual texture work rather than 1 texture per map. Open world rather than 2x2 tile maps. Engine that supports more than 3 polygons at the same time on screen.

Games have come a long way since then.

did they now

Deleted member 7219

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I thought we're talking about how it looked "pretty good" or even "fucking beautiful" for that time.

Deleted member 7219

I thought we're talking about how it looked "pretty good" or even "fucking beautiful" for that time.

I already said other RPGs had a more painterly aesthetic. NWN went with the functional approach. It worked. Graphic fags might complain about the graphics but in terms of systems and moddability people were able to create good things with that engine.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"You refuse to accept the fact that Torn looked better than NWN, even though I've shown you screenshots clearly demonstrating it.

Screenshots which also showed how NWN was outdated at release. Which is an actual fact since the release was delayed.

Since you can't accept facts, it makes you a dicksucker. Period."

Go play your shitty DS. My bad, thoguh, if I knew you were a DS fanboy, I woudln't have ven replied. L0L At least TOEE fanboys actually somehting to run with - its implementation of D&D rules. :p DS fanboys have nothing.

That DS forest screen looks worse than the NWN forest screen. PERIOD.

Perkel

Arcane
Yeah, for the time those were pretty good 3D graphics.
Dungeon Siege, same year:
24917-dungeon-siege-windows-screenshot-another-house.jpg

Oh look, actual texture work rather than 1 texture per map. Open world rather than 2x2 tile maps. Engine that supports more than 3 polygons at the same time on screen.

Games have come a long way since then.

did they now

How many mods came out for Dungeon Siege?

No amount of mods can change nature of garbage.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
NWN looked pretty good at the time, and I remember it got a lot of attention for its umber hulks. Dungeon Siege looked amazing, and treating it as a floor rather than a ceiling for RPG graphics at the time is silly. TORN doesn't look bad, but what we're looking at don't seem to be screenshots so much as bullshots -- there's no UI, for example. Probably those are the best models, posed as best they can, probably with fake lighting, and hand-set camera. BIS had great artists, so they might've managed something great, but it's really not an apples-to-oranges comparison. Also, it's hard to make graphics that can be tweaked into lots of different combinations -- they tend to look worse. This is one reason that I hate paperdoll / character cosmetic stuff -- there's a reason why PS:T's characters look a bazillion times more interesting than basically any party graphics ever since.

pippin

There's also no use in nitpicking bad screenshots and comparing it to bullshots of a game that was never made :M

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
What the fuck is this thread, bunch of diaper wearing edgelords arguing about graphics in games that came out before their parents were born. NWN looked damn good on release, and comparing it to Dungeon Siege is beyond retarded - the only reason why garbage like Dungeon Siege was actually successful is exactly because it looked absolutely stunning at the time.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
NWN had great particle effects. The collision was probably the worst part but lithtech also had shitty collision. I've never played a lithtech game that wasn't janky in some way even monolith's games have some weird problems and id tech 3 was so much better in just about every way. If you want to see a good use of custom tilesets in NWN I recommend checking out the EotB2 remake the forest area at the start looks great and natural unlike the default forest tileset.

Perkel

Arcane
NWN looked pretty good at the time

Best example of drugs destroying brain.

On serious side. NWN 1 graphics was shit from day 1. Repetition of tilesets killed completely game graphically and artstyle of weapons was just plain hilarious like drawn by 6 year old kid. Especially compared to amazing unique items in IWD games.

I tried to spend hours in editor to get at least not butt ugly location with tilesets but this was impossible.

Deleted member 7219

What the fuck is this thread, bunch of diaper wearing edgelords arguing about graphics in games that came out before their parents were born. NWN looked damn good on release, and comparing it to Dungeon Siege is beyond retarded - the only reason why garbage like Dungeon Siege was actually successful is exactly because it looked absolutely stunning at the time.

How old are you, boy?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I dunno, game was dumb and didn't hold my attention for a minute, but I remember previews gushing about the graphics and I don't remember people disagreeing.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
That DS forest screen looks worse than the NWN forest screen. PERIOD.

lol tasteless bioware dicksucker

Sorry, retard, I played NWN when it was released and it was ugly from day 1. It would've been ugly if it was released couple of years before. Hell, it would've been ugly at any point in time, its ugliness is not only because of the limited technology but also because of the artistic inability of whoever did those assets.
Many older 3D games, with less advanced technology looked better.

NWN looked damn good on release, and comparing it to Dungeon Siege is beyond retarded - the only reason why garbage like Dungeon Siege was actually successful is exactly because it looked absolutely stunning at the time.

That was the point, retard. Not about the quality of the game. But how NWN supposedly looked amazing for its time. It did not. It was garbage. And guess what, it was still praised for its graphics and got attention because of that. Case in point, tasteless tards like you and Volourn. "Looked damn good" :lol:

You keep trying to convince everybody about how you're older than anyone else on this site but it's really obvious how clueless about everything you are.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know if most people considered NWN good-looking, but a lot of Infinity Engine fans who liked 2D must have felt like they were being gaslit about it. Awesome graphics, incredible particle effects, 10/10! It traumatized a hell of a lot of people and probably drove more than a few out of the hobby entirely.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
I don't remember NWN looking as bad as in those screenshots, they look like either the texture quality isn't maxed or maybe they scaled bad to some really high resolution or something. I remember NWN textures as pretty sharp back in the day...

Anyway, it's artstyle was as painfully generic and boring as possible. NO charm whatsoever. I do remember the torch throwing light that would be blocked by stuff and the shadows would move as you moved (do I remember that right?) in the academy at the beginning for example.
IMO it was too early to go full 3D if the goal was lovely visuals.
Game had big issues unrelated to the graphics anyway. What a total downer after BG2. Tough to believe the same people(?) made it.

Dungeon Siege graphics were hyped up like crazy by the gaming press here, but other than the seamless world imo they weren't too nice either. NWN looked better sometimes, sometimes worse. Also suffered from the meh artstyle problem.
Also a shit game mostly.

Lhynn

Arcane
Nwn looked beautiful at the time, especially for a game that was so easy to mod.
Shit, for its functionality it looks good even today, because theres literally nothing like it in the market.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom