Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM OpenXcom Thread

desocupado

Magister
And don't point me to that video tutorial. Video tutorials are the poison of the Internet and dumbing people down since the beginning of YouTube. For 99% of things video tutorials exist for, a simple text with some screenshots would be 100 times more efficient and more clear.

You can say that again, brother.

baturinsky

Arcane
Only problem with night missions was interface (pitch dakess), after I learned about ScrollLock mode I love them a lot. Against humans, at least, as other (and mercs) often have night vision too, and better one than you..

Yeah, blades are great. On the first terror mission enemies (ratmen and ghouls) brought a tank, and I couldn't scratch it with guns or bows, but three strikes with Ax finished it off. And mid-game Ax it's great against Mercs too.

Is Billhook any good? It's stats says "extra pain" though I don't know what it means. Also, rapier seems to be better for no-strength gals, because it uses straight melee.

Destroid

Arcane
And don't point me to that video tutorial. Video tutorials are the poison of the Internet and dumbing people down since the beginning of YouTube. For 99% of things video tutorials exist for, a simple text with some screenshots would be 100 times more efficient and more clear.

Yeah but they are way more work to produce.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Yeah but they are way more work to produce.
Funny thing, I was originally going to add "and their production is nothing but a statement to the laziness of their creators".

There are cases where video tutorials are good, like "how do I do move X" in games or stuff like that. But for the use of an application, it is just hilariously bad.

Only problem with night missions was interface (pitch dakess), after I learned about ScrollLock mode I love them a lot. Against humans, at least, as other (and mercs) often have night vision too, and better one than you..

Yeah, blades are great. On the first terror mission enemies (ratmen and ghouls) brought a tank, and I couldn't scratch it with guns or bows, but three strikes with Ax finished it off. And mid-game Ax it's great against Mercs too.

Is Billhook any good? It's stats says "extra pain" though I don't know what it means. Also, rapier seems to be better for no-strength gals, because it uses straight melee.

I'd guess extra pain means more morale damage or maybe more wounding. Kind of irrelevant either way IMO.

Rapier = best for high melee. Rapes house when you have a character pushing 120.

Saber = best for high melee and high strength. Put it on anyone close to the strength cap (80) so long as they have high accuracy. Also I like to have at least one of my super-gals have a Spiked Mace for certain heavily armored targets.

"Auto" or "Snap" weapons = best for low melee. They are effectively short ranged guns with almost 100% hit rate. If you have low melee they are way better than other weapons since they'll actually hit.

For stunning I like the Pipe before stun rods are available. The chance of directly killing the target is pretty low, just make sure you have a medic ready to cure their wounds.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
So, I tried this mod again (Piratez) after not having done so for a long time. The beginning went through several revisions and the latest one is quite good, starting with such limited resources you have to pretty much research how to do anything, including how to recruit more people. :lol:

However, I would like to know how long it is: I read that the average playthrough lasts about 2/3 ingame years at minimum. How many hous would that be in your opinion? 30h at least?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
However, I would like to know how long it is: I read that the average playthrough lasts about 2/3 ingame years at minimum. How many hous would that be in your opinion? 30h at least?
Much more than that, IMO.
I certainly played 40+ hours and wasn't even halfway through.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So I see xpiratez is now up to version 0.99F.5. This is some clevian version numbering.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
So I see xpiratez is now up to version 0.99F.5. This is some clevian version numbering.
I tried this version and for some bizzare reason menus are blured borked mess while previous version (0.99D) have better looking ones.

Microissues my asss... (s)he add more and more, not only features but also bugs.

Jazz_

Arcane
If I install OpenXCOM over X-COM: Ufo Defense on Steam can I play it without using the DSBox? as I understand OpenXCOM is an entirely new engine, I imagine that the dsbox is no longer needed. right?

lightbane

Arcane
IIRC you just need to copy-paste your game files inside the "UFO" directory within Openxcom. Same thing with TFTD.

Endemic

Arcane
If I install OpenXCOM over X-COM: Ufo Defense on Steam can I play it without using the DSBox? as I understand OpenXCOM is an entirely new engine, I imagine that the dsbox is no longer needed. right?

Still uses DOSBox.

When is the openxcom TFTD have the 1.0 official release?

You can download the nightly releases, they're perfectly fine to use. Even have an exe installer now.

Gord

Arcane
Huh? AFAIK, OpenXCOM is an independent engine and not related to DosBox. So no, it's not using DosBox.

Endemic

Arcane
Huh? AFAIK, OpenXCOM is an independent engine and not related to DosBox. So no, it's not using DosBox.

The Steam release is the DOS version with DOSBox. That won't change just because of Openxcom. It still executes using DOSBox:

AI2JX4s.png

Does OpenXcom actually use DOS? I always thought that text was just a cheeky joke. There's no reason to use it if you're building a new engine from the ground up, especially with OS portability in mind.

Incantatar

Cipher
Why haven't I heard of X-Pirates before? This mod is glorious! There is no fucking x-cuse to not try this out if you haven't already! :5/5:

The year is 2601. The Earth has been long conquered by aliens. You run a gang of mutant pirates. Rob aliens and their human proxies for fun, profit and power. Now with a coustom .exe that allows for a ton of unique features; bigger and better than ever before.
Piratez is the biggest Openxcom mod to date and takes weeks to finish.

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3626.0.html

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom