Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, any good gaming podcast to listen to?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Guys! I'm interested in some podcast channels, which discuss gaming, preferably the kind of gaming the Codex is into. So far I listened Epic Battle Cry and Gametrailers podcast, which are full of shit. Giantbomb looks OK. Anything interesting?

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
http://www.rageselect.com/index.php/feature/podcasts

Good ol' Spill.com remnants. Not very Codexian, but those guys are never boring, they usually have some interesting stuff to say, and are overall professional without being fucking radio-wonnabe bitches like most podcasters out there.

Watch Out for Fireballs has some really nice retrospectives of classic games, RPGs included. Not nearly as entertaining, but they have their moments, and the subject matter is obviously relevant to us.

Last edited:

Alchemist

Arcane
Roguelike Radio is very good. It comes from a developer angle though - most on the podcast are roguelike devs talking about design, etc.

Space Game Junkie for space game news and interviews.

Sadly there really is nothing out there that caters to Codexian tastes in cRPGs.

I also listen to a bunch of tabletop RPG podcasts: everything from Wild Games Productions (Roll for Initiative, Save or Die, Thaco's Hammer, Spellburn, Dead Games Society), Happy Jacks, Fear the Boot, RPG Circus.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
:necro:

There's "new" retro gaming podcast, The Retro Hour, launched in january of 2016, they've interviewed several devs from the olden times, such as Julian Gollop, Jon Hare, and less familiar stuff, like Simon Phipps of CoreCore Design and Gremlin Graphics. The podcasts are also in youtube but they're just voice with static images.

http://www.theretrohour.com/

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
https://devgameclub.libsyn.com/
My current fave is dev game club. It is two old games developer playing old games and assessing them. Since they are a developer (they worked in lucasarts, 343 games, bethesda, ans some other the last 20 years) there are alot of cool technical insight that they give.

They play trough games in 4 to 5 episodes, then did an interview to the game's creator (if available) and move on to the next.

They even interviewed tim cain and boyarsky after their play trough fallout 1, and ken levine in system shock 2, alsosome other.

The downside is they dont get the interview 100% if the person is unavailable. That usually happens when they play Japanese games for obvious reason, they cant do interview. Iirc the only western game whose dev they didnt get to interview so far is legacy od kain soul reaver.

Of course, the only downside if you are looking for news and insights to more modern games, you wont get it since most of them are retrospective of a sort

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
My current fave is dev game club...

This one sounds great, I'll definitely give it a look

To J_C definitely give Giant Bombcast a chance, they'll occasionally have a slow one, but there's usually some amusing shit in there, especially in the emails section at the end
how the fuck do you tag a member's name in a comment?

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My current fave is dev game club...

This one sounds great, I'll definitely give it a look

To J_C definitely give Giant Bombcast a chance, they'll occasionally have a slow one, but there's usually some amusing shit in there, especially in the emails section at the end
how the fuck do you tag a member's name in a comment?

You have to put an @ just before the user's name.

J_C

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Apple Time Warp is a podcast about old PC games by a gentleman called Craig Johnston and John Romero (yes, the John Romero). They don't seem to do these very often. In the latest episode, from September 2020, they interviewed Stuart Smith, creator of the Adventure Construction Set, and had the CRPG Addict along too. It's pretty interesting stuff.

Check it out here https://appletimewarp.libsyn.com/

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Been listening that Retro Hour Podcast on and off, they've had some good guests but a lot of them are from the UK, in the latest podcast they interviewed Julian Eggebrecht from Factor 5 (Turrican etc), just a shame that the podcast is very UK-centric as they rarely interview anyone from the continental europe...and that the hosts are very much normie plebs so they ask very basic questions and only scratches the surface.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
My current fave is dev game club. It is two old games developer playing old games and assessing them. Since they are a developer (they worked in lucasarts, 343 games, bethesda, ans some other the last 20 years) there are alot of cool technical insight that they give.

They play trough games in 4 to 5 episodes, then did an interview to the game's creator (if available) and move on to the next.

They even interviewed tim cain and boyarsky after their play trough fallout 1, and ken levine in system shock 2, alsosome other.

The downside is they dont get the interview 100% if the person is unavailable. That usually happens when they play Japanese games for obvious reason, they cant do interview. Iirc the only western game whose dev they didnt get to interview so far is legacy od kain soul reaver.

Of course, the only downside if you are looking for news and insights to more modern games, you wont get it since most of them are retrospective of a sort

I listened to their latest episode, part 1 of Baldur's Gate. They don't differentiate between the changes from the original release to EE and one of those hosts called Neera "awesome", oh and they bitched about thac0. Not exactly the best start.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom