Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

rezaf

Cipher
I can only admire your guys resilence.
My crisis is the undead invasion, and those guys slaughter me - especially the necros, with their utterly OP ability to teleport behind your lines and chop off your archers head in one turn. Using their teleport skill should end their turn - it'd still be OP, but at least somewhat fair.
Anyway, I don't think I have the heart to press on.

In some parts, this game has so much going for it. The world map reminds me of Darklands, which unfortunately begs for comparisons which end up making Battle Brothers look pretty unfortunate. The world also feels fairly tiny.
The battle engine is neat, but suffers from a considerable lack of options and (to a lesser degree) progression.
When you have chainmail type gear everything stagnates, since it's practically impossible to offset the massive fatigue impact of heavier armor, and even so it's still far too common for a necro to seal the fate of a soldier in a single movement or something similar.
In my playthrough I've not encountered a single named item.
And even with somewhat high level guys, combat always seems to play out like low level AD&D, when you're clearing the Slums in Pool of Radiance.
There's the odd combat against a horde of low level enemies, which becomes a slaughter, but then there's always some Ancient Honor Guards or whatever, with half a dozen Necros whom you always miss and who leave your guy bleeding with 5 HP after a single attack.
So you either save-scumm or enter a downward spiral - or you grind for many hours trying to get back to where you started from.
If the game at least had a ton of different missions and sidestories to it, but noooo, it's all the same handful of basic missions over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over ...

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Possibly stupid question: Why doesn't 'Dodge' change the stats on your Brother?

It says '15% of your current Intitiative as bonus to melee and ranged defense'.

Am I missing something? Other bonuses - like 'Fortified Mind' show up right after you activate them.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter

Am I missing something? Other bonuses - like 'Fortified Mind' show up right after you activate them.

Its actual Initiative.
So if you wear armor/weapons it decrease actual Initiative. When you use skill and get tired - it lower your Initiative.
It show in combat as a buff.
Still do not get why it not show outside combat - especially that Nimble show as buff outside combat.

cannondwarf

Scholar

Intitiative is not a static stat, it decreases as fatigue fills up, so you may start with +10 def from Dodge, but end up with 3 or 4 later in the same battle due to fatigue.

Tigranes

Arcane
4th company, the Manic Jesters, did a couple ambitions and some nice missions, but things remain precarious. Undead are a real trouble for me, as I rely a lot on pitchforks, bows and spears.

How to stop nachzeheres earing corpses? Stand on them?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
How to stop nachzeheres earing corpses?

by spamming them with arrows until they're dead

speaking of arrows

'yo sellsword go plz keal them greenskins at their camp'

-> goes to camp -> 'plethora of orc young'

enemy was defeated in 5 turns of indiscriminate arrow spam

-> get reward -> go to another town

-> goes to camp -> 'plethora of orc young'

enemy was defeated in 5 turns of indiscriminate arrow spam

-> get reward -> go to another town

-> goes to camp -> 'lots of orc young'

:despair:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Oh also, is it just me or are injury recoveries level-scaled.

I remember that a couple dozen days ago I'd hardly ever get an injury that would go past 3 days to heal, meanwhile nowadays I even get some that have a whopping threshold of 3-6. And what is making me the most suspicious is that I distinctly remember that the SAME injuries I'm getting now with the huge thresholds didn't take that long to heal before.

Murk

Arcane
Retired my main ironman company on day 160 something. It was a godawful map, and had a godawful start where I probably spent 50 days before I could even get to 12 bros (and I wasn't getting expensive backgrounds, either.) Just too few 1-skull contracts to start, horrible islands that slowed things down dramatically, and after exploring the map and the noble war starting I figured enough's enough, time to start anew.

New map is nice -- only one town is separated by water, but it joins to mainland from all directions. Decent organization of cities to fortresses.

This time I think I'm going to focus on a small group of power leveled bros. Getting student for them all, gonna see if I can keep a small number of good background, good base stats. I've come to absolutely love Squire background as a good multi-purpose. Hedge Knights and sellswords can be so good though... unless you get RNG fucked and they start with low skills, in which case rip the 3-9k crowns you just lit on fire.

I inadvertently seem to only recruit expensive backgrounds when the majority of their cost is subsidized in the gear they bring (greatsword, good helmet, etc.)

Kayerts

Arcane
My crisis is the undead invasion, and those guys slaughter me - especially the necros, with their utterly OP ability to teleport behind your lines and chop off your archers head in one turn. Using their teleport skill should end their turn - it'd still be OP, but at least somewhat fair.

Why are you bringing archers to a fight versus ancient undead? Arrows do nothing to them, except the aforementioned teleporting archer-murderers.

Rest of the post is pretty reasonable, godspeed sir.

Kayerts

Arcane
How to stop nachzeheres earing corpses? Stand on them?

Nachs are fun enemies because the optimal tactics against them change as the game progresses.
Spearwall will probably work in the early game; if you've got a back row of polearms or archers, even better.

Midgame, this still works. There may be enough of them that a pile of corpses begins to form 2 ranks out, which may lead to feasting. You may need to advance over their dead.

Late game, you will face mobs of 30 with 8 of them as T3 nachs to start. These are one of the more challenging groups in the game, just because it's easy to miscalculate and lose 6 bros before you realize you won't be able to regain equilibrium. Strategy here is different: T1s are irrelevant, T2s are mildly annoying but not very relevant, T3s are deadly. Solution: actively avoid killing T1/T2s until all or most of the T3s are dead. T3s are tanky enough that they're going to take a while to take down, during which time any corpses lying around will result in more T2s or T3s. Once the T3s are down, your warscythe and greatsword-wielding bros should be able to clear the remainder efficiently.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
if i drew undead scourge as the crisis i'd probably hang myself
I just got that as my first crisis.
Was enough bullshit for me to move on to another game.

I mean, seriously, what is the reasoning behind those 2-tile speared ancient legionnaires two-hit-killing most of my 150+ armored and mostly shieldwalled bros? The fallen heroes are a fucking joke compared to them. And there is no quick way of getting to them, as the other shielded legionnaires are harmless, but take time to smash.

Maybe if I took some time training all my bros in hammers. Which was never needed up to this point, so naturally I don't even have one bro trained in hammers - before I met those legionnaires I was gonna ask "What's the point of hammers? I can kill everything just fine without them and even get to keep the armors".
Now I know.
Not gonna spend the time looking for non-undead contracts to grind for hammers, nor do I feel any desire to replay this.

Oh well, got 40 hours out of it.
Maybe again in a year or so.

Murk

Arcane
You don't need hammers to get through them, 2hand swords can do the trick too (the 2-tile hitting swing).

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well... whatever the case, I have not enough of that. Very mixed group.
I had one 2H axe guy with berserk, frenzy and 80+ melee skill. Death incarnate.
My band would have been unstoppable if I made all of my bros like that.

Now that I think about it... that guy was no doubt the most valuable member. I am truly beginning to see the point of people who rarely use shields at all. Killing things faster than they kill you simply seems more important than "holding out a few rounds more".
And really, those 2H-spear ancients just kill through the shields anyway, so who cares?

Coming back in X months, then. See what has changed.
I was getting weary of it, tbh, so it is a good time to stop for a while.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Oh also, is it just me or are injury recoveries level-scaled.

I remember that a couple dozen days ago I'd hardly ever get an injury that would go past 3 days to heal, meanwhile nowadays I even get some that have a whopping threshold of 3-6. And what is making me the most suspicious is that I distinctly remember that the SAME injuries I'm getting now with the huge thresholds didn't take that long to heal before.

Just got a fractured skull. "Will heal in 5-9 days".

I remember getting a fractured skull somewhere at the beginning too. Then it was 3-6, and I remember that very clearly. Level-scaled injuries confirmed.

Now I'm wondering if level-scaled equipment repairs are also a thing. I check the repair icon, it tells me "all repairs will be done in 5 hours and will need 1 tool". "Lolwut" I think, then check my band. There is only one item in the entire company that needs repairing, a decayed full helmet that is at 220/230 condition. 5 hours to repair 10 points of damage?

AMG

Arbiter
You probably confused it with severe concussion which takes 3-5, the icon looks similar. I didn't notice anything fishy about injuries myself.
As for repairs dunno, maybe decayed items take longer, because they're decayed.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My problem with spears is that I get too attached to them and late game I realize they are not so efficient anymore. And it's too late because I'm an idiot and specialized 3 bros in them :M

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
My problem with spears is that I get too attached to them and late game I realize they are not so efficient anymore.

fake news

i have two speardudes and they never lose their usefulness, except maybe for skellingtons

spearwall spam takes care of ghouls, direwolves, all kinds of zombies, yung orks, zerks extremely well

stuff that is 2smart to suicide by spear is typically flimsy enough to get poked to deff with the thc bonus (goblins, raiders with shields)

even ork wammos can have a hard time going through yer spearwall, although against those i change one of the spears for a warhammer

also you can use the spearwall p well to herd stuff that refuses to suicide exactly where you want

i only ever change both spears to sth else when fighting skellingtons... ahahaha who am i kidding, i avoid all skellingtons like the plague BECAUSE THEY ARE SO FUCKING BORING

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Darth Roxor do you also specialize the bros for spears? I always find the spearwall+(remains active even when engaged in melee) intriguing

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom