Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Unique/interesting RPG ideas you have

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Post any unique/interesting RPG ideas that you have came up with here, and watch them be shat on by the Codex!

• An RPG/strategy hybrid where you play as Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, leading ISIS out of the desert and trying to defeat the near infidels and the far infidels while declaring yourself Caliph. It will also feature internal politics: decide how to deal with English ISIS members calling the natives loud and smelly and complaining about how they steal shoes
  • An RPG where you 'level down' instead of leveling up, gradually becoming weaker. Has some sort bizarre, out-of-this-world setting.
  • A roguelike set in the biblical End Times, where the struggle is to survive while angels pour shit on your head. You can play as an atheist or a Christian (the final boss is Yahweh as an atheist)
  • A blobber which initially looks normal, but becomes more surreal and bizarre the more you play it.
  • A RPG that has no visuals; all information is conveyed through audio.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Iznaliu

First idea won't get anywhere due to controversy, see Super Columbine Massacre RPG.

Second idea hasn't been done in a sensible manner since Monty Python's Flying Circus in 1989. Why it hasn't been done since is a small exercise in game design and player psychology.

Third idea sounds OK, though it may come out better as a survival game.

Fourth idea is a matter of taste and preference as to when a game stops being real and starts becoming surreal/bizarre. Some people consider your bog-standard fantasy setting to be a pretty trippy experience.

Fifth idea is pretty neat, I'd play that.

Maxie

Interesting concept, but I'd flip it on its head: Being the first real-time character in a turn-based world.

As for my idea(s)? I'd mentioned them in a recent thread, but the only one I can recall off the top of my head is a Stardew Valley-esque game in a post-apocalyptic setting, though any decent fantasy setting would do.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
you're the only turn-based character in a RTwP world
Be careful what you wish for
juWTPwx.jpg

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
I would like an rpg set in the Matrix. Basically it would be an open world experience like GTA, but when you are unplugged you would be in a desolate wasteland like Fallout. While jacked into the Matrix you would fight the agents and other programs while becoming One (leveling up, gaining powers).
In the real world you would be fighting the machines and rebuilding Zion, base building.

*If you want to advance this idea please site this post.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Not really an rpg, but i always wanted to have an stealth adventure hybrid with simple progression like zelda but you fight invincible enemies. (Not really invincible, but your character is too weak to deal damage directly) You defeat them by manipulating the environment and tricking them, luring them into trap, etc.

Kinda like hitman too maybe, but with the targets actively seeking you out trying to eliminate you

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
An RPG/strategy hybrid where you play as Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, leading ISIS out of the desert and trying to defeat the near infidels and the far infidels while declaring yourself Caliph. It will also feature internal politics: decide how to deal with English ISIS members calling the natives loud and smelly and complaining about how they steal shoes

It's a better idea for the next Paradox game.

rezaf

Cipher
How about and RPG version of Butterfly Effect?
Basically, the game would be fairly short, and on your first playthrough, you'd usually do mostly goody two-shoes stuff like killing rats in a basement, saving a guys daughter held hostage by some bandits or liquidating the cruel leader of a mercenary band.
Then you'd get Fallout-like endgame slides informing you how the rats were the main food source of some cavedwelling horror which ended up up feasting on the villagers instead, how the father was a heartless pedophile and how the mercenary band dispersed and no longer could play a cruical role in the defense against the invasion of the undead.
In your next playthrough, you'd get some new options based on the ill results your decisions in the previous playthrough had, only to discover your adjusted decisions having even worse consequences in the next set of ending slides.
The purpose of the game would be to find a way to at least prevent SOME of the worst outcomes...
An hollywood everyone-lives-happily-everafter ending could or could not be present.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
How about and RPG version of Butterfly Effect?
Basically, the game would be fairly short, and on your first playthrough, you'd usually do mostly goody two-shoes stuff like killing rats in a basement, saving a guys daughter held hostage by some bandits or liquidating the cruel leader of a mercenary band.
Then you'd get Fallout-like endgame slides informing you how the rats were the main food source of some cavedwelling horror which ended up up feasting on the villagers instead, how the father was a heartless pedophile and how the mercenary band dispersed and no longer could play a cruical role in the defense against the invasion of the undead.
In your next playthrough, you'd get some new options based on the ill results your decisions in the previous playthrough had, only to discover your adjusted decisions having even worse consequences in the next set of ending slides.
The purpose of the game would be to find a way to at least prevent SOME of the worst outcomes...
An hollywood everyone-lives-happily-everafter ending could or could not be present.
sounds like yoko taro games. nier and drakengard is kinda like that, but alot more linear i guess

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Have music change according to the difficulty. For example, if you enter a dungeon that's way above your level, the music is extremely somber in a "you are going to fucking die in here". When you come back 20 levels later, the music is much more "lighter" and "fun". Not in an anime sense, but in an upbeat rock sense.

Fenris 2.0

Augur
Jagged Alliance: World War 3 Paradox Edition

Christmas 2017 and everything turns to Shit - USA and China are crashing heads over Best Korea and the South China Sea, Turkey goes full genocide against the Kurds and invades some greek islands, the Anti-IS Coalition crumbles, little green Men appear in the Baltics and so on...
Lots of Opportunity for a private Mercenary Buisness - and on the long run the Opportunity to influence History.
Start with a few men with light weapons, get your own Aircraft Carrier after 10 years of Campaining, build Codexia over the radiated Ruins of Washington/Moscow/Berlin after 20 years :)

Shin

Cipher
anyone remember that game messiah? where you'd play the little angel in diapers who had to possess his enemies souls or some shit to kill them and progress

well, something like that but less shit (the game wasnt that good, especially in retrospective) and where possessing NPC's have a real tangible effect on the environment and other NPC's to complete quests and such. there'd be certain advantages and drawbacks of possessing certain people and the actions you'd take with him/her. there should be some moral backdrop to the main story in which you gotta save God or something (similar to Dogma) but you'd have to choose between either being a goody two shoes towards the human race and maybe not save God or bring the fucking pain and make hell on earth in order to save your maker

AND THEN IN A SHAMALAYAN TWISTS ITS ACTUALLY THE DEVIL OH NOES

Freddie

Savant
Jagged Alliance: World War 3 Paradox Edition

Christmas 2017 and everything turns to Shit - USA and China are crashing heads over Best Korea and the South China Sea, Turkey goes full genocide against the Kurds and invades some greek islands, the Anti-IS Coalition crumbles, little green Men appear in the Baltics and so on...
Lots of Opportunity for a private Mercenary Buisness - and on the long run the Opportunity to influence History.
Start with a few men with light weapons, get your own Aircraft Carrier after 10 years of Campaining, build Codexia over the radiated Ruins of Washington/Moscow/Berlin after 20 years :)
This sounds really awesome.

adrix89

Arbiter
Why are there so many of my country here?
anyone remember that game messiah? where you'd play the little angel in diapers who had to possess his enemies souls or some shit to kill them and progress

well, something like that but less shit (the game wasnt that good, especially in retrospective) and where possessing NPC's have a real tangible effect on the environment and other NPC's to complete quests and such. there'd be certain advantages and drawbacks of possessing certain people and the actions you'd take with him/her. there should be some moral backdrop to the main story in which you gotta save God or something (similar to Dogma) but you'd have to choose between either being a goody two shoes towards the human race and maybe not save God or bring the fucking pain and make hell on earth in order to save your maker

AND THEN IN A SHAMALAYAN TWISTS ITS ACTUALLY THE DEVIL OH NOES
Lucius?

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Have music change according to the difficulty. For example, if you enter a dungeon that's way above your level, the music is extremely somber in a "you are going to fucking die in here". When you come back 20 levels later, the music is much more "lighter" and "fun". Not in an anime sense, but in an upbeat rock sense.

Dragon's Dogma sort of did that. The more challenging the fight, the more intense the combat music would be, with 3 variations.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
  • A roguelike set in the biblical End Times, where the struggle is to survive while angels pour shit on your head. You can play as an atheist or a Christian (the final boss is Yahweh as an atheist)

Well it's not a roguelike, but Shin Megami Tensei II covers most of that.

3rbw4j8.png

flabbyjack

Arcane
Sorry but I'll keep my ideas to myself for when I retire and make cRPGs with my wife helping me.

Planning on making several prototype games to build up my exp and see what is actually fun or not. As a programmer I have a good idea of what features would be feasible to implement and what would not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom