Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PS4 wins the console war against XboxONE, yet it is a hollow victory as Consolesdämmerung is upon us

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
But why would I want to have photorealism in my games?

your question is basicaly, why would i want better graphics? that's like saying that there is no need to have a better pc than 386, which also billl gates said back at the time..... but somehow PC hardware is evolving

Falksi

Arcane
PS5? FFS, they've only just started making decent games for the PS4. Still, at least PS4 game prices will drop.

Perkel

Arcane
hmm ps4 was announced in 2013.

I think 2018 will be date of announcement. Unless they plan to build next console like a phone where PS5 will be fully backward compat with whole catalog (because consoles will be based now on API not on hardware). Then 2017 seems reasonable to announce. 2018 whole details and few games showcase with 2018 winter release date which makes console essentially 2019 about 6 years after ps4 which is pretty normal for console cycle.

Though for hardware it will be pretty lucklustre upgrade. HBM2 stack of 32GB, Ryzen+8core, and about 10Tflop.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...pio-is-console-hardware-pushed-to-a-new-level

Is this the end of the traditional console generation?
This is where we suspect there is a difference in opinion between Sony and Microsoft. Last year, Mark Cerny drew a line in the sand - PS4 and Pro were of the same generation and we'd require a radical upgrade in CPU, GPU, memory and storage to justify a prospective PlayStation 5. Mike Ybarra's comments about users wanting the latest technology faster suggest something different.

Our take? Mark Cerny's outlook is possibly the ideal, and more in line with the core gamer's expectations, but Mike Ybarra hinting at more frequent console refreshes more closely fits the realities of console manufacturing. Moore's Law is slowing down. A 6x to 8x leap in console power every five years is looking less and less viable, so we should expect to see more frequent, more iterative upgrades. However, likening this to a mobile phone upgrade cycle isn't the way I see things going. A new console with a 2x-3x boost every three to four years seems more likely, based on current trends.

Typically, two aspects define improvements in console power - innovative design and the ability to shrink transistors down using the latest semiconductor fabrication technologies. By my reckoning, there's plenty of scope to see performance improvements via the former, but the latter is going to be a struggle. PS4 and Xbox One launched in 2013 and used 28nm chip fabrication technology - first used on PC graphics cards way back in 2011. The replacement 16nm FinFET process used on both Pro and Scorpio only became viable five years later - and I'd venture to suggest that both consoles would not be viable without it. 10nm is starting to roll out now, but may not be suitable for consoles, while 7nm is some years away. With that in mind, more iterative console launches may be the only way to get better hardware out to tech-hungry gamers, but even so, yearly or biannual updates are highly unlikely.

Delbaeth

Learned
Complex photos (100 TB of uncompressed JPG), smarter layouts of direction (press X to follow), good levels of realistic art (Modern/Ancient/WW1/WW2/always-the-same-but-change-suits-or-dresses)/

Yeah, right.

ortucis

Prophet
In fact, there will be two variants of the PlayStation 5, each of them having a bit different specifications (not major ones).

At this point, they are just Valve's shitty PC's with different configurations.. except unlike Valve's PC's, people will buy consoles.

duke nukem

Augur
What i want in next consoles and that way in personal computers too, is new ai-processors thats only focus is to calculate ai. Its impossible to make good ai with current processors. Maybe 20-100 true north microchips for ai? They require about 1/1000 power of conventional processor, so they would not take too much power.

Some unified drivers to ease programming.

ortucis

Prophet
What i want in next consoles and that way in personal computers too, is new ai-processors thats only focus is to calculate ai. Its impossible to make good ai with current processors. Maybe 20-100 true north microchips for ai? They require about 1/1000 power of conventional processor, so they would not take too much power.

That will never happen. Most people play on consoles with retardpads. Advanced AI for such control scheme is pointless. That's why developers focus on visuals more.

sullynathan

Arcane

That will never happen. Most people play on consoles with retardpads. Advanced AI for such control scheme is pointless. That's why developers focus on visuals more.
Console games has "advanced AI " with splinter cell chaos theory years ago. Most stealth games still can't beat that.

Perkel

Arcane
I heard PS5 will have enough power to get port of Dwarf Fortress. Though Toady said they will have to fix game space and 4x4 and max amount of dwarves will be 150.

ortucis

Prophet

Console games has "advanced AI " with splinter cell chaos theory years ago. Most stealth games still can't beat that.

You think Chaos Theory had advanced AI?

Really?

If you say so.. I bet Mario must look fucking next-gen to you people, which enemies having different patterns and shit.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...nd-xbox-one-has-become-a-canyon/#7a1171ba79c1
C5WV-jIUYAE2WeC.jpg

Like any self-respecting codexer, I use adblock. I can't see this shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom