Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Long Live Wizardry! (And The All-New Games By Ex-Wizardry Developers) - UPDATED: MARCH/07/2016

RuySan

Augur
What I liked about M&M is that most of the game is overworld, and when I enter a dungeon somehow feels special. In wizardry clones, the whole game is a massive dungeon and it kinda gets repetitive.

If Grimrock 2 had turn based combat instead of the sidestepping dance it would have been perfect. That level design is just right my alley.

That's like early-mid 2nd Stratum, not even close to the end.

the first game has 30 levels, so i'd say i was past the mid-game.

duanth123

Arcane
What I liked about M&M is that most of the game is overworld, and when I enter a dungeon somehow feels special. In wizardry clones, the whole game is a massive dungeon and it kinda gets repetitive.

If Grimrock 2 had turn based combat instead of the sidestepping dance it would have been perfect. That level design is just right my alley.

the first game has 30 levels, so i'd say i was past the mid-game.
Never mind thought you meant character levels

Puck Man

Novice
I watched some video a while back and was kind of turned off. Probably because it's not in first person perspective. But I love Wizardry and Roguelikes so I'd be really curious to hear more about it as well.

Courtier

Prophet
http://store.steampowered.com/app/494320

Wizardry transformed into a Roguelike.

It's neither Wizardry nor a roguelike, but literally a mobile game where you waltz through a dungeon, collect and roll random characters like from a slot machine (you would pay microtransaction money in the original smartphone version), and repeat. There are games like this for everything from monster girls to soccer to popular visual novels. This one does seem like a nice example of the mobage collect em all rlite genre but it's the kind of game that's legit ''casual to play on the train to work''. Cash-in on the Wiz name. Requires you to be always online in order to play. Not worth 10 dollery doos but would pick up for a couple as a timewaster

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yep, noticed the same as well after purchase. The "WizJewls" and "random adventurer packs" hinted me in.

Thank god for Steam's refund system.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
So what does "English Interface" mean in the OP? In other words, if I am absolutely inept at moonrunes, how playable are they? I assume "interface" translates only the very barebones? Because I think I watched a video of one of the Wizardry Gaidens, and even the "An encounter" message was in moonspeak.

It isn't fair that only the japs get to enjoy these games in their native language. :negative:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Lucas9

English interface means that games such as: Wizardry Gaiden 6: The Prisoner Of The Battles feature:
- All items in English.
- All enemies in English.
- All spells in English.
- "Status" or "Information" screens in English; i.e. the "Character Sheet".
- Battle commands in English.

That game in particular features ALL menu commands in English, not just the battle menu, however it is (in reality) only the first 4 bullet points which are meant. For example, Gaiden 5: Dimguil does not feature the "Character Sheet" nor battle menu commands in English.

(However in Dimguil's specific case that is because they decided to use universal iconography for all menu buttons, such as a sword for attacking, a shield for defending, etc; although quite frankly some are very hard to guess what they do: I had trouble at first because I didn't realize the Magnifying Glass icon was the standard "Inspect" command... heh).

Wizardry Asterisk for Nintendo DS (Starfish SD's very last Wizardry-licensed game, by the way) features:
- All items in English.
- All enemies in English.
- Spell names in English, but not the "descriptive text".
- The "Character Sheet" screen(s) in English.

However the menu commands are textures, which cannot be translated: only changed graphically. In any case, I've certainly learned quite a few kanji over the past few months! The PS1 ports for Wiz 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 are completely in English, as they are ports of already-in-English games (obviously).

Puck Man

Novice
...The PS1 ports for Wiz 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 are completely in English, as they are ports of already-in-English games (obviously).

Actually, if I remember correctly, there's no way to change the spell descriptions to English. Right?

Dorarnae

Arbiter

whoa what? wish it was a new game in the serie, but I dont mind a re-release of that one.(wish it was on pc though).

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Dorarnae

don't post that without more info! wtf is that? the 3ds port of elminage: original? if it is, for anyone curious, it is just a port of original to 3ds without anything new added, only a new UI.

EDIT: my god, my brain is officially fried. I didn't even recognize the elminage 2 church NPC. apparently it is a 3ds port of elminage 2, and I imagine it's a port of elminage 2 Nintendo ds remix edition, which features similar stuff like what was added to elminage: gothic remix.

AFAIK:

- 1 additional post-game dungeon.
- (obviously) all-new enemies for the new dungeon, including a souped up last boss(es).
- a smattering of new items.
- items "rebalanced" to be more powerful (i.e. most weapons featuring better accuracy, etc)
- enemies "rebalanced" to be less powerful.
- bosses "rebalanced" to be extremely over-powered.
- floor layouts of the first few dungeons "rebalanced" to be easier (i.e. doors connecting far-away points together, etc).

nothing really worth getting excited, especially considering elminage 2 (psp or nds) was never localized. i'll probably finish guess-lating it by 2031 though, so :)

Dorarnae

Arbiter
Dorarnae

don't post that without more info! wtf is that? the 3ds port of elminage: original? if it is, for anyone curious, it is just a port of original to 3ds without anything new added, only a new UI.

EDIT: my god, my brain is officially fried. I didn't even recognize the elminage 2 church NPC. apparently it is a 3ds port of elminage 2, and I imagine it's a port of elminage 2 Nintendo ds remix edition, which features similar stuff like what was added to elminage: gothic remix.

AFAIK:

- 1 additional post-game dungeon.
- (obviously) all-new enemies for the new dungeon, including a souped up last boss(es).
- a smattering of new items.
- items "rebalanced" to be more powerful (i.e. most weapons featuring better accuracy, etc)
- enemies "rebalanced" to be less powerful.
- bosses "rebalanced" to be extremely over-powered.
- floor layouts of the first few dungeons "rebalanced" to be easier (i.e. doors connecting far-away points together, etc).

nothing really worth getting excited, especially considering elminage 2 (psp or nds) was never localized. i'll probably finish guess-lating it by 2031 though, so :)

from what I've read, this is actually elminage 2 on ds for the 3ds as download only(with a few more feature like style load, also the music isn't the same, they're using the third game music). If I can buy this, it'll be nice because physical copy of the ds version are so expensive.

edit: I was able to buy the game with my japanese 3ds, looks like it takes american credit card hehe. will slowly play the game(I have so many things to play).

Last edited:

dragonbait

Augur
Hi Aweigh + all codexers,

I finally got around to upgrading my phone so that the screen is large enough that I (probably) won't go blind trying to play RPG's on it and immediately downloaded Nethack and Wandroid and Gurk 1, Ananias. + I'm a really big fan of party based + turn based rpg's like Bard's Tale, Wizardry, Phantasie, Might and Magic, Dungeon Master, Devil Whiskey, Pool of Radiance/gold box etc. and am looking to find similar games. I'm also familiar with the Iceblink engine and Questlord stuff so now I can now finally try that out on my phone. I'm wondering what other games you would recommend in the genre that are similar to my interests? Perhaps there are some similar games that have unusual names that I might not find when searching for the above rpg games etc?

Any help codexer's give would be great. :bro:

Last edited:

Emmanuel2

Savant
Hi Aweigh + all codexers,

I finally got around to upgrading my phone so that the screen is large enough that I (probably) won't go blind trying to play RPG's on it and immediately downloaded Nethack and Wandroid and Gurk 1, Ananias. + I'm a really big fan of party based + turn based rpg's like Bard's Tale, Wizardry, Phantasie, Might and Magic, Dungeon Master, Devil Whiskey, Pool of Radiance/gold box etc. and am looking to find similar games. I'm also familiar with the Iceblink engine and Questlord stuff so now I can now finally try that out on my phone. I'm wondering what other games you would recommend in the genre that are similar to my interests? Perhaps there are some similar games that have unusual names that I might not find when searching for the above rpg games etc?

Any help codexer's give would be great. :bro:

Demise: The Revelation (Free), or Demise: Ascension. You can't go wrong with any of those since it still takes a ton (400+ hours) of time to finish one.

There's also Conflux III.

They aren't really Wizardry-likes, but jusging from your list above, I'd say they'd fit your criteria.

Courtier

Prophet
Ay lads this one has been a long time coming

ifa9dpD.png

akTaUMp.png

zLmEFeP.png

tFkzHfc.png

The first time I beat him I did not get the amulet because inventory was full, so I had to leave and reenter to fight again. The second time one of the fighters lost 4(!) levels during the battle yet I was not blasted into oblivion. The only reason I survived was casting MAHAMAN to silence the enemy party and using dispel/TILTOWAIT for the vampires.

Time for scenario 2 bros
ksD5zbQ.png

qqsJRbF.png

mY8myjC.png

EDIT: HA HA THE SNES REMAKE OF 1-3 GOT THE ORDER WRONG, IT HAS ''LLEGACY OF LLYLGAMYN'' AS SCENARIO 2, AND KNIGHT OF DIAMONDS AS WIZARDRY 3

Shit dude I was wondering why it was making descendants instead of simply importing my guys

EDIT2: I checked and this version of Knight of Diamonds also only lets you create level 1 ''descendants'' (?!), so I suppose they rebalanced it to be for a level 1 party. The first floor is easy like Proving Grounds B1F (think kobolds and bubbly slimes, while the first floor of Legacy of Llylgamyn is way more difficult by comparison with strong enemies). Since I got started anyway, I'll play 2&3 in the weird order of the rom

Last edited:

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Fyi, Legacy of Llylgamyn is actually the third scenario. Knight of Diamonds is the real second scenario. Don't know why the SNES game shuffles them.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
DT2-2 demo is out, here a little video(not mine). Very glad to see they have a bunch of new track for the game, man I can't wait to play this.

Courtier

Prophet
Legacy of Llylgamyn beaten men
m5eNMdc.png

The dungeon is only six floors long........

E2u9a3c.png

........But you can only access some floors with a good or evil party.

jnbL34E.png

Finding and defeating bosses on the good and evil levels grants you a crystal..............

2MOGRCo.png

lZXZ1YM.png

The two of which you can combine into one

IdVGQt0.png

lMvNjaI.png

With the neutral crystal, L'kbreth allows you entry into 6F

Ef5Z8Fy.png

One of three rooms each containing a statue.........

fv2AuGZ.png

........Allows you to trade the crystal

ucu5ijV.png

...........For the ORB

7ep0yIe.png

HIAFmeV.png

After many hours of crawling around in the maze, the party returns triumphantly

5XohFMr.png

K826QzX.png

mF3juyo.png

Knight of Diamonds next!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
fuck yeah courtier! am enjoying those recaps. i enjoyed scenario 3, which is the one you just finished, the most out (besides scenario 5, ofc).

iam actually a bit afraid you'll get burnt out before reaching scenario 5, especially if you decide to try to "seriously" play through werdna's shenanigans.

i recommend just playing wiz 5 next instead of scenario 2 as it is the culmination of western wiz (although i think scenario 3 featured the best floor layouts out of all scenarios, with the exception of wiz 4's brilliant dungeon layouts).

wiz 5 will feel like playing a proto-version of Wiz Empire series (which obviously feel like playing alpha-versions of Elminage games) and you are going to have 50-70 hours of godlike blobbering with scenario 5.

i played 5 before 3 and 2 and it did not spoil my enjoyment of them one bit, like i said i just don't want you to burn out on old-school wizardry before getting to experience scenario 5.

and no, i've yet to finish scenario 4, and while i (as pretty much every other wiz fanatic) agree that it features the most genius dungeon layouts/designs, it is simply too punishing to truly enjoy as a game. i mean, it even features several instances where your playthrough will be impossible to finish if you ascend (descend?) to a new floor without the correct puzzle-related items.

that's just... ugh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom