Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Domina , run your gladiator school

da_rays

Augur
Havent seen anything on the Codex about this one , its going to get release in the next day

http://store.steampowered.com/app/535230/

Its a gladiator school simulator with pixel arts. Seem nice . Gladiator management / hiring / equipment / skill . You also seem to need to manage food , water and wine . Ive seen a few video of the battle , seem fast pace bloody and with auto combat , but i think there is some way of controlling your gladiator for more efficienty.

Anyone have tried this while in beta? Curious at how all the game roll out .
here is a video of the gameplay . In beta of course ( also talk a bit about mind control , skill needed to ''control'' your gladiator )

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
There is another gladiator school game that I tried and it was not very good.

But I really like the concept.

da_rays

Augur
Yup , sucky crappy auto combat. I think you are able to skill up your gladiator to have them fight better ( read here ''better AI'' ) also the control mind skill which let you ''control'' 1 of your dude . Still , not much info on that and i dont know if it been tweak in the release build. Wish they shown how in depth is the management system / random events if any and so on . Still looking for a brave coidexer who might have tried this weird little thing

hello friend

Arcane
There is another gladiator school game that I tried and it was not very good.

But I really like the concept.
You mean that text-only one? It was pretty fun, for a short while. They could have developed the concept a bit more.

Anyway, da_rays, thanks for sharing, this game looks like it was made for me. Like a football manager without football. Autocombat is a plus in this case.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The combat looks god-awful. If they improve that part of the game, I would definitely buy it.

da_rays

Augur
Battles of Norghan really look nice . And currently 30% for another 40 minutes. Mordron how is the management in this game? And how is combat? Good find , I might actually get this one

EDIT: well the discount is now off , but its been placed in my wishlist . Look real nice . Gonna wait to see what kind of review Domina get after a few days

Last edited:

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Battles of Norghan really look nice . And currently 30% for another 40 minutes. Mordron how is the management in this game? And how is combat? Good find , I might actually get this one

EDIT: well the discount is now off , but its been placed in my wishlist . Look real nice . Gonna wait to see what kind of review Domina get after a few days

There's a demo on their site (didn't link to the demo page since it auto-initiates a download).

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Played it for a bit. There have been a few gladiator managament sims over the years and this one feels firmly set in that same mold. The graphics look decent enough. Combat is fast and furious and with the right research you can take over the fight and have an arcade battle. There are different arenas, different fight types and different fight rules going on. Which adds some diversity. Having wild animals run around mixes a fight right up, same as doing one where you can send one (preferably high level) gladiator against some newbies. Management is quite deep with employees, slaves, fights outside the arena, events, equipment and more playing a role. What surprised me is the quality of writing in the events. Sarcastic is a word that would fit. And fit it does. The game is quite hard and you will often lose your gladiators. It never ceases to hurt when a highly trained one bites the dust. Music is decent but I absolutely loved some of the sound effects. The little shouts you only occasionally hear in the arena are nice additions as well.

What I didn't like? The amount of clicking to train. Or the amount of clicking you do, period. How quickly food runs out and has you buy new. Even when it is very cheap and thus is hardly a drain of your resources. The real time aspect of the management. How a downward spiral seems almost impossible to turn around. All in all however I did have a more than decent time with it. Got to admit however I did not bother with the arcade fights myself. I just let the computer do that and enjoy the spectacle.

Raapys

Arcane
Press your doctore and activate 'auto-train'.

And yeah, it's surprisingly hard. I seem to be doing very well, easily besting 3-4 opponents in a row with my champion, then suddenly I get utterly raped in the next match.

hello friend

Arcane
Trash Agree 100%, I've already applied for a refund. This game would be pretty great if it wasn't real time. But it is, and it's annoying enough to make it unplayable. Reminds me a bit of those skinner box browser games. A lot of superfluous shit that forces you to be glued to the screen to play, even if you're just going through the motions.

Johannes

Arcane
I think I'll stick to Areena games.

areena-4_1208761017.4.jpg

Incantatar

Cipher
I want to play a brothel simulator with gladiator girls and real dominas now. I miss the chauvinistic German sims of the 90s.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Necro'ing this thread since I bought this game on a whim and wanted to give a quick review. Only a couple hours in but in all honestly I am enjoying the game a lot so far.

Maybe it wasn't the case a year ago when you guys were playing, but now you can pause the game on the management screen and take your time with stuff. You get to choose how best to train and equip each guy in between each event. Plus manage your ludus supplies, improvements, and employees you hire to grant different benefits.

The fights are fast and furious with lots of pixel brutality. There is an option to control a gladiator manually during combat but honestly I just prefer to watch and see what happens. Great soundtrack and I haven't encountered any bugs so far.

Again I just started playing but this seems like a fun, fairly lightweight management sim if you are into that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom