Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

God, how I missed Oblivion

Back in the day the codex loved Oblivion, I remember like it was yesterday
you have bad memory because the reason i began reading the codex was exactly because of its review of oblivion.
i should still have it bookmarked.
here it is: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=129
suddenly i wasn't the only one on the planet hating that piece of shit. love at first sight.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
True story. I actually loved Oblivion as a kid and still feel nostalgia for it sometimes, but I get bored pretty quick. It was my introduction to the RPG genre and it amazed me how big it was and how your character could be different(seemed like it to me at the time anyway) and it served some sort of escapist purpose for me.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Can someone explain to me what's the problem with this video? I mean, the AI behavior obviously isn't perfect, but I don't really see anything outrageous about it...

I guess the problem is that the guards assist you, while you were the one commiting the crime. They help you because they saw the other guy hitting you first and didn't register you starting the fight. This is completely unrealistic. Shouldn't guards try to find out what happened/who started the fight before intervening? Why can you be arrested but NPC can't and get killed instantly? Who do the guards don't ask you or the npc's any questions, instead of killing without a thought?

I know these things can't be easy to implement, but a system this unrealistic can hardly be called 'smart'.
Both of you need to pay attention.

The problem was that the guards MURDERED AN ENTIRE TOWN FULL OF PEOPLE. Yeah, it's unrealistic that they didn't try to sort things out or arrest both of you for fighting in the street - or even just the player - but they also killed everyone in sight and then treated it like someone else murdered them.

Completely broken. That's what's wrong.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Does anyone think that TES series would benefit greatly from more linearity? Not so much in how you quest, but from the consequences of each quest/choice eg. Joining the fighters guild means you can never join the mages guild, or joining the far brotherhood means you soon become outlawed and can never join the imperial legion etc)
It'd add to the depth & replayability if not e everything could be experienced in one play through.
Elder Scrolls games (well, Daggerfall and Morrowind) used to contain enough guilds that it was expected for every player to join 2 or 3 of them, and it made sense to have only a small number of restrictions so that players with different character concepts would be able to join guilds that made sense for their particular character concept. It was only in Oblivion that Bethesda slashed the number of joinable guilds/factions with many quests from 10 in Morrowind to just 4, and kept the most generic guilds at that: fighters, mages, and thieves guilds, with only the Dark Brotherhood being slightly original. You're correct that if there are so few guilds to begin with, they might as well make each one more detailed and mutually exclusive with the others, but having such a small number of guilds was a mistake to begin with, given that the Elder Scrolls remained vast Open World games with some degree of character customizability.

Krivol

Magister
God, I left this game after finishing few guiilds and not touching main quest at all. I tried, but it's impossible to play and enjoy this PoS. Really, it's so boring copypasta with stupid quests. Also this worldbuilding... GOD!

I saw those city walls, next to the hill. Walls were lower than hill. WHAT'S THE POINT OF BUILDING THIS WALL THEN? I mean enemy archer could pee on defensor's head.

Copypasta dungeons are just ugly - how many times I will be crawling through "the rift room"? Every dungeon seems to have one.

Oh, and quest design... Whole thief guild... :lol: I mean the ending - whole this shit to see reunion of husband and wife after 10 years. Who's idea was this? I don't mention I had sneak 50 and lockpick 40 and became thieves guild master :negative: . And all quests there: "go to dungeon, kill all or sneak past it, grab something and back. And again.

Fighters guild - go to the dungeon, kill. Go to the dungeon, kill. Oh, and pass that rift room when you are there because we are so proud of it.

If you feel nostalgia and miss oblivion - kill yourself with a spoon. This game is bland, boring shitfest, much worse when compared to Morrowind.

Look, I used to run with a stick when I was a kid, liked to imagine that stick is a sword and that I am killing ugly beasts, and Oblivion tries to simulate something like this - giving you ability to feel like a little kid again, puting his stick into the mouth of an evil priest... errr... I mean killing stuff with it. But this game tries to be realistic, and is badly design. Skyrim is a bit better, but still very shallow and bland. NV have much better created and developed world, just like Morrowind.

Avoid it like a plague.

Falksi

Arcane
Elder Scrolls games (well, Daggerfall and Morrowind) used to contain enough guilds that it was expected for every player to join 2 or 3 of them, and it made sense to have only a small number of restrictions so that players with different character concepts would be able to join guilds that made sense for their particular character concept. It was only in Oblivion that Bethesda slashed the number of joinable guilds/factions with many quests from 10 in Morrowind to just 4, and kept the most generic guilds at that: fighters, mages, and thieves guilds, with only the Dark Brotherhood being slightly original. You're correct that if there are so few guilds to begin with, they might as well make each one more detailed and mutually exclusive with the others, but having such a small number of guilds was a mistake to begin with, given that the Elder Scrolls remained vast Open World games with some degree of character customizability.

Gotchya. I've only played TES from Morrowind onwards, but definitely feel that closing & opening doors on various paths as a result of certain choices make for the more satisfying experience. I guess Skyrim attempted it with The Empire vs The Stormcloajs, but nothing actually changed. You essentially played the same missions out.
If Bethesda have any sense they'll take a few ideas from The Witcher 2, and consider restricting areas so that the game world needs to be played through several times from different angles to reveal all of it's secrets. The gimmick of open world exploration alone is no longer enough to satisfy Imo.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Restricting content (as in quests and storylines)? Maybe. New Vegas has already done that, but it wasn't really popular among everyone.
Restricting map areas? No way in Hell. The customer base would burn them to teh ground.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The setting is like a bad renaissance fair,
the combat feels designed and animated by drunk amateurs,
the story is like a first school writing assignment,
the art is akin to puke paintings of a renaissance fair,
the voice acting would be unacceptable even on an american tv drama,
the roleplaying is only there for those with severe autism,
the quests task you with mentally beating your head against a proverbial wall,
and the faces are hopw roewur ne.

tl;dr there is no life in the void, only death. If you like Oblivion you hate the elder scrolls. The OP should be castrated.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
The setting is like a bad renaissance fair,
the combat feels designed and animated by drunk amateurs,
the story is like a first school writing assignment,
the art is akin to puke paintings of a renaissance fair,
the voice acting would be unacceptable even on an american tv drama,
the roleplaying is only there for those with severe autism,
the quests task you with mentally beating your head against a proverbial wall,
and the faces are hopw roewur ne.

tl;dr there is no life in the void, only death. If you like Oblivion you hate the elder scrolls. The OP should be castrated.
What's wrong with bad renaissance fairs?

Perkel

Arcane
Only good thing in it was music and first 15 minutes where you thought dungeons like this will be the norm and still not realize everything is fucking generic as fuck.

Trotsky

Arcane
Main issues with Oblivion are stupid plot, stupid NPC's and level of writing. Oh, and filler dungeons. If tou have a mod to fix that, please be so kind and send me a link.

TBH - emperor is an idiot (I will give the most important amulet on the world to person I saw in my dreams because I am 87 years old grandpa with dementia), his guards are idiots (so, you got this amulet from 87 years old emperor with dementia because he saw you in his dreams? ok, this is fine) and whole main plot is just stupid.

A satanic cult murdering the head of state to create chaos and unleash a new age of darkness sounds like a decent plot to me I only wish there was more politics.

The one thing I admired about Oblivion back in 2006 was the graphics. It was a good looking game for the era and had a good foundation but it just didn't deliver.

Does anyone think that TES series would benefit greatly from more linearity? Not so much in how you quest, but from the consequences of each quest/choice eg. Joining the fighters guild means you can never join the mages guild, or joining the far brotherhood means you soon become outlawed and can never join the imperial legion etc)
It'd add to the depth & replayability if not e everything could be experienced in one play through.

This is exactly the experience Bethesda should have delivered. I've always liked exclusive content for different factions and alignments. It adds depth & replay value.

2016 was a missed opportunity for a tenth anniversary Oblivion remake. They could have retouched everything & made a good game but instead we got nu Skyrim.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The one thing I admired about Oblivion back in 2006 was the graphics. It was a good looking game for the era and had a good foundation but it just didn't deliver.

Oblivion never looked good IMO.
Gothic 3 came out in the same 2006 and looked waaay better IMO.

Heck, the environments were more varied and interesting in Bethesda's own Morrowind.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath

This is exactly the experience Bethesda should have delivered. I've always liked exclusive content for different factions and alignments. It adds depth & replay value.

If being in the Fighters Guild and the Mages Guild breaks your immersion, just don't do it. If you want to have new characters for the guilds, just create one. Nothing prevents you from playing the game exactly like this.

bloodlover

Arcane

Oblivion never looked good IMO.
Gothic 3 came out in the same 2006 and looked waaay better IMO.

Heck, the environments were more varied and interesting in Bethesda's own Morrowind.

Yeah good luck playing G3 on max details when it came out.

Falksi

Arcane
If being in the Fighters Guild and the Mages Guild breaks your immersion, just don't do it. If you want to have new characters for the guilds, just create one. Nothing prevents you from playing the game exactly like this.

The faction example is just one of many, with the overall point being choices and actions should be reflected in the world & story. Thus making it feel like a true RPG.
Open World devs don't do this coz they're scared of the folk who whine they're missing out. Their response should be "play it again", not "ok, we'll allow you to do everything in 1 play through".
It makes no sense. Not 1 person who ever lived experienced all things from all angles in 1 lifetime. It's stupid that so many open world games are setup as such.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I'm replaying it now too. Such a great game for me. Maybe it's the nostalgia, I don't know, but Oblivion is fucking magical.

Deleted member 7219

True story. I actually loved Oblivion as a kid and still feel nostalgia for it sometimes, but I get bored pretty quick. It was my introduction to the RPG genre and it amazed me how big it was and how your character could be different(seemed like it to me at the time anyway) and it served some sort of escapist purpose for me.

When I was a kid, the cool games were TIE Fighter, Jedi Knight and Age of Empires.

Now we have people fondly reminiscing Oblivion. The decline. The decline.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I was very hyped for another adventure this time in Jungle Rome after Morrowind aka Operation fake Messiash; then Oblivion came and it was huge :decline: cause I was playing in ren fair England a game with 2/3 of skills and 1/3 of guilds and no political tension from the fast that Emperor and all his heirs were dead and there was huge ass Demonic invasion around... and then years ago I finally played the Age of Decadence and sow game which was how Oblivion should be like. I mean starting from several origins and joining guilds from noble houses thru Imperial Legion to varous criminal scum groups like Thief, Merchant and Assassin Guilds where you every action opened some quests and closed another. It also had all those sexy Roman armors, Weapons and had this Rome in desert setting... and of course no level scaling, hand holding and TB combat too. :incline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom