Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Are there good epic level modules? They all seem to not even get to 20.

Protagonist of Swordflight breaks into epic lvls in Chapter Three. Really big battles that are still a challenge. Aielund Saga reaches about 37th. For NWN2, Mask of the Betrayer hasn't been overshadowed by any community-made campaign that I know of. You could try out a trainer module for NWN2 like Vordan's, JEGs, Heroic Dream or Battle of the Builds.

Sherry

Arcane
Hi.

Good day and a long night indeed I have completed Ch4 of Neverwinter Nights this morning after playing much of it into the night yesterday to start the weekend. I am really glad this was free on GOG when I downloaded it because it truly was a struggle at times to play especially coming off full party control in Pillars and Baldur's Gate series right? Companion darting off or casting a spell when there are creatures all about and watching the screen get filled with *Attack of opportunity* messages was very, very frustrating but I did it.

Last night I arrived back in Neverwinter with Lady Aribeth leading the charge of the army with a good portion of the city in ruins but found safety in Castle Neverwinter. A lot of that was running around destroying catapults and wizards controlling animated golems it reminded me a lot of animats in Pillars. Met a big horned demon creature, found Lady Aribeth and Maugrim hanging out after taking a portal the horned demon was guarding. I saved my progress and made a few posts here before going to bed.

This morning was the end I so desired to see. With the final Word of Power in my backpack I was able to return it and enter the Source Stone where the final leg of this long journey ends but gosh all of the encounters made it worse than some slogging I experienced in Pillars with all these Old Ones in the corridors making it painfully slow progress. I made some coffee and had to return a little later but by then I just wanted it to be over and thought it was until I had to fight two dragons! :mad::mad: Of course it is not like Pillars where I made friends with dragons no I had to fight these two so I could move forward to completing the game. Some general frustration and it was done all just for a key. :argh:

And this key opens a door to a chamber full of more Old Ones and just general annoying priest bringing back Old Ones like it was free sprinkles for everyone and not based on how many spell slots you have!! All this trouble for another key omg! :argh:

Final battle annoyance and general cringe worthy experience but it was epic to go up against Morag. It took three tries to get her gargoyle statues destroyed to remove the protection it offered her then finally she could be damaged.

I am the Hero of Neverwinter!
heart.png
heart.png
heart.png

My quick thoughts on the game are more positive than negative even though my last few steps to the ending was a frustrating one.

- ran fast and I like being able to move the camera angle around.
- multiple dialog and a few quests specific to my Druid/Barbarian.
- familiar rules engine like Baldur's Gate series so easy to pick up.
- tons of magic items everywhere and helpful for combat.
- wide choice of companions with their own quest and storyline that continues from one chapter to the next.
- fun magic system and spells.
- very poor companion controls by issuing commands vs. full control like in Pillars/BG.
- lost that exploration feel with no world map.
- recall stone made the world seem even smaller with jumping back and forth.
- Druid camp was lots of fun and well worth being there with my Druid!
- Charwood village had a nice spooky vibe.
- Snow globe part of the adventure was really unique.
- Ch2 was the most memorable for me I just liked everything about that part of the story.

So now I will be trying some of the modules suggested in this thread that I already downloaded and setup. *fingers crossed I did it right* and there are two expansion stories that are tied with one another, so I might even start on the first one and play these player made modules in between.

Thanks for reading and for your player made suggestions.

Thanks,
Sherry

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
That's what you get for ignoring all the warning signs literally everywhere to not play the OC. Either start the expansion campaign or download one of the many great modules on the vault.

Deleted Member 16721

Hey Sherry, I recommend Swordflight. I'm playing it right now and just made it to Chapter 2. Really enjoying it so far. It has a lot of skill checks, very challenging combat and everything is just high quality all around. The first chapter dungeon crawl is epic, too. :)

Chapter 2 supposedly opens the game up a bit and is much larger than the first chapter. I just started it and it seems great so far, with a cool premise. Just note that the game seems really hard. I died roughly 732 times in Chapter 1, but a lot of it was probably due to me building a terrible character and forgetting how to play D&D. Rolled a Gnome Druid with a badger companion, and I also summon a Dire Boar. Good times, good times. :)

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
what are some of the better modules with henchmen/ companions you guys can recommend? Party of 3 preferred.

I've enjoyed Darkness over Daggerford in this regard, couldn't relate to Lilura's criticisms at first, but the second time around I shared her opinion, even though I still admire the - for my tastes - great worldbuilding. Very Ultima-ish.

Kingmaker also had nice party building options.

hell bovine

Arcane
I liked the henchmen in the Aielund saga. I'd recommend all but the last part, which is all about hacking your way through hordes of overbloated hp-bags. Also, the plot goes completely off the rails.
Runes of Blood also has a few henchmen, though they aren't as interesting (but I found the trick to turn the goody-two-shoes priestess evil funny :D).

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Yep, Aielund has more party building options than DoD.

First act only has two companions (fledgling party of three is always fun) and acts 2, 3, 4 have four each. Their is some crossover but something like 9 or 10 unique companions, all up. From memory you pretty much always have a party of three (or four with a glitch). Two are romanceable.

Swordflight has only one companion in chapt.1 but in chapt 2. there was something like 8 that cycle in and out over the course of the campaign. Chapt 3 has a few, too. For c.2 and c.3 their availability depends on your choices, exploration etc.

Other good companions are Pirotase and Llarien (Paladin trilogy and Cave of Songs).

Forgot about Crimson Tides of Tethyr. I think that's party of three for most of it.

Last edited:

purpleblob

Savant
I liked the henchmen in the Aielund saga. I'd recommend all but the last part, which is all about hacking your way through hordes of overbloated hp-bags. Also, the plot goes completely off the rails.

Yep, completely agree. The last part (chapter 4, part 3) was a huge disappointment. I was really enjoying the whole saga up to that point, shame.

laclongquan

Arcane
I am curious enough to the point of installing NWN1 and plan to try the original campaign.

Diamon edition.
jiggly hak.

I want an over the shoulder view or something like NWN2 but the figure is pretty blocky that it's not a pressing need.

Is there anyway to have better pixel for the MC?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am curious enough to the point of installing NWN1 and plan to try the original campaign.

Diamon edition.
jiggly hak.

I want an over the shoulder view or something like NWN2 but the figure is pretty blocky that it's not a pressing need.

Is there anyway to have better pixel for the MC?
There's a mod for replacing the base nwn block-body with something slightly better- Gunner's body mod or something like it, look it up.

laclongquan

Arcane
Orignal campaign.. but why? :negative:
Because one should never onesidedly and wholeheartedly believe one source of review.
Despite Codex scorn NWN2OC plentiful, I find that I enjoy it much.
So.
Despite Codex and others scorn NWNOC plentiful, I still might test it just to see for myself. The whole problem is that whether I find enough interest to do that in the first place.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nwn oc if nothing else, is good for testing combat builds. Crom knows there's enough of it there.

eXalted

Arcane
You are right. I tried it, it's shallow and uninspired. Just don't get your hopes high.

Tried baldur's gate sword coast chronicles for NWN2 this weekend. Whoa, that really made me feel even more tired of the first NWN. I am getting further on hordes of underdark, but damn that game is so ugly compared to NWN2.

NWN2 has this nice look and shine to it

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Orignal campaign.. but why? :negative:
Because one should never onesidedly and wholeheartedly believe one source of review.
Despite Codex scorn NWN2OC plentiful, I find that I enjoy it much.
So.
Despite Codex and others scorn NWNOC plentiful, I still might test it just to see for myself. The whole problem is that whether I find enough interest to do that in the first place.

Go ahead. After your brain is sufficiently clogged with neo-trash the OC might actually turn out as fairly decent. Be warned though, the main problem with NWNOC is that every chapter has the same stupid "collect dragon balls" structure, which is shameful. Furthermore with so many trash mobs and weak encounter design it borders on hack&slash.

There are some memorable quests however, particularly in Chapter II, which have good writing, decent C&C and solid puzzles.
Charwood arc, spirit of the wood, snow globe, mutamin's challenge

Last edited:

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
A Dance with Rogues

ADwR has always been mentioned on the Codex for being a good modul for NWN1 and for featuring sex. I had never played it until last year and I had always assumed all the fuss about it was just because pixel sex (yay!) for nerds. I was wrong. There must be a reason why this mod has an entire wiki dedicated to it and the reason is that it's an exceptionally well designed RPG.

- The story is good and the writing is competent
- quest design is outstanding and generally offers multiple solutions usually covering the approaches: combat (if you dare!), womanly charms (i.e. use sex to achieve something/whoring yourself out), rogue skills (social, disguise), rogue skills (stealth&thieving/assassinating)
- almost all your XP will come from applying your rogue skills, kills will hardly give any XP whatsoever (with very few exceptions), for instance you might spend 1000 gold on healing supplies to kill some powerful monster but you'll only get 3 XP for it when picking a single lock might give you 150 XP. Furthermore, your wealth will mostly come from stealing stuff and quest rewards, not looting enemies.

That means you can merrily use all the different approaches to solving objectives without the nagging feeling that you have to kill them all or else you'll not get XP and loot. The game shares this property with Bloodlines, where your XP gains and wealth also didn't depend the slightest bit on how many mobs you killed. I like that.
- the dungeoneering parts outside the city are also interesting and well made
- you can buy as many bags of holding as you want (and can afford) right off the bat
- combat is challenging (if you adhere to the imperative of creating a human female rogue with 14 Dex, 14 CHA, i.e. no min-maxing a rogue/fighter hybrid or anything)

Yes, there are very graphic descriptions of sex. You can avoid most of it but imo that's pointless because you'd also avoid content. I didn't mind it and thought that for a male person it was an interesting voyage into the female psyche. I got horny in regular intervals though tbh fam.

Verdict? 5/5 Impressive. Perhaps the best NWN mod I've played.

Among all the mods I've played there are really only 2 contenders for the top spot, ADwR and Swordflight 2. ADwR has the superior quest design and story/writing imo, Swordflight the way bigger scope.

A Dance with Rogue 2
Not really bad but unfortunately a lot of the things that made ADwR great are missing. Sex is not missing which tells you that sex wasn't what made ADwR great. Worth playing once for the linear dungeon romp I guess but 3/5 at best.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom