Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Less than a minute in to that video I already knew this was a cynical nostalgia cash-in rather than anything made in good faith.

Deleted member 7219

Less than a minute in to that video I already knew this was a cynical nostalgia cash-in rather than anything made in good faith.

I thought about struggling through it, then realised Morrowind is still there. I can play it any time. I don't need a shitty imitation.

Stokowski

Arcane
Looks like there's a lot of butthurt in the subscriber base, who are guaranteed "free access to all DLC while sub is active", getting gouged an extra $40+ because the company has defined Morrowind as an expansion rather than DLC.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks like there's a lot of butthurt in the subscriber base, who are guaranteed "free access to all DLC while sub is active", getting gouged an extra $40+ because the company has defined Morrowind as an expansion rather than DLC.
Zionmax strikes again.

Turjan

Arcane
Yup. They really just moved the imperial buildings over to the 2nd era, though settling Vvardenfell had only happened a few years before TESIII: Morrowind played in the 3rd era. Nostalgia cash grab is the right label for this.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
To people who have played this: is the pvp at least decent? Can you ignore the shitty quests and just play against other players?

bonescraper

Pvp is nice if youre in an organized group that knows what its doing. And you can go to Cyrodill at level 10 and never leave if you choose so.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Yup. They really just moved the imperial buildings over to the 2nd era, though settling Vvardenfell had only happened a few years before TESIII: Morrowind played in the 3rd era. Nostalgia cash grab is the right label for this.

Whats with the music in that? Sounds like something out of a generic movie trailer, not morrowind or elder scrolls for that matter.

logrus

Augur
Project: Eternity
Pvp is nice if youre in an organized group that knows what its doing. And you can go to Cyrodill at level 10 and never leave if you choose so.
Theoretically. You'll miss tons of skill points if you go at level 10 to PvP zone and never leave it.
Not that you need to collect every available skillpoint in the game to be effective in Pfp, but you need to do large part of PvE content to have enough skillpoints for any reasonable PvP build.

EDIT: And PvP is as cancerous as in any other MMORPG: meta builds of the month, exploits, people yelling for nerfs to some skills, it's possible for experienced ganker to create a one-shot build, capable of nuking new players from stealth with one strike, etc.

One thing that annoys me most in ESO's PvP is that if you are not a very good player you can spend 5s fighting before death and then riding 5 minutes to the war front just to be ganked after 4 and a half minutes of this ride ;]
I'm terrible PvP player, so I expect to die a lot, but sometimes it's just too much sightseeing instead of fighting.

Also, I have a feeling that PvP zone is too big (too much walking/riding instead of fighting) and on the other hand engine is not capable of handling large battles (which are norm - storming the keeps, etc.), you die due to lag way to often.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
:lol: Was laughing as I watched the trailer. Did they not think to ask some people "what do you like about Morrowind?" and go from there?
I very much doubt that the audience they're going for has ever played Morrowind. They might know it by reputation, but they're not gonna play a game that may have been made before they were born.

What people liked about Morrowind was the story and lore, not the "collect 50 bear hides" and "sick tab target combat" or whatever the hell TESO is doing.

Dear God! What a dead tastebud comment.

Story and lore is the weakest part in the game. And in weakest I mean, shittiest. As in, anyone like it has shitty taste in writing who doesnt know any better.

People like Morrowind because of ONE it has varied and disctinctive environmental graphic style. From the swamp to the rocky fortress in mountain, from the beach to the volcanic ashland ... TWO a varied and distinctive group of minigames we can exploit the shits out of it like alchemy, enchant, making magic. Even the broken nature of those subsystem are part of the charms, since it's designed like that from Morrowind, to Skyrim, to F3/FNV.
After those rich and diverse natures of them, the quality of writings in lores, books, quests, dialogues hit players like a dozen donkey hoofs to the groin. Painful beyond belief. I said once, I said a thousand times: Nobody play Bethesda games for the writing.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
:lol: Was laughing as I watched the trailer. Did they not think to ask some people "what do you like about Morrowind?" and go from there?
I very much doubt that the audience they're going for has ever played Morrowind. They might know it by reputation, but they're not gonna play a game that may have been made before they were born.

What people liked about Morrowind was the story and lore, not the "collect 50 bear hides" and "sick tab target combat" or whatever the hell TESO is doing.

Dear God! What a dead tastebud comment.

Story and lore is the weakest part in the game. And in weakest I mean, shittiest. As in, anyone like it has shitty taste in writing who doesnt know any better.

People like Morrowind because of ONE it has varied and disctinctive environmental graphic style. From the swamp to the rocky fortress in mountain, from the beach to the volcanic ashland ... TWO a varied and distinctive group of minigames we can exploit the shits out of it like alchemy, enchant, making magic. Even the broken nature of those subsystem are part of the charms, since it's designed like that from Morrowind, to Skyrim, to F3/FNV.
After those rich and diverse natures of them, the quality of writings in lores, books, quests, dialogues hit players like a dozen donkey hoofs to the groin. Painful beyond belief. I said once, I said a thousand times: Nobody play Bethesda games for the writing.

You're right that the environment, minigames, and I'll add open world (since it was one of the first 3D games to implement this) were MEGA draws to the game.

Morrowind's story is great though. It deals with the question of what truly makes a hero (hard fucking work, training, and practice). The whole idea of the Nerevarine was that he needed to choose that path and work towards transcending to demigod status. He wasn't simply born that way.

This is contrasted with pretty much every other Bethtard game which just presumes that you are born the hero and you just stomp all over everything and do heroic things because well, you were born with that talent.

This was profound for me but maybe that's because I, like Drakortha, was super young when I played this.

logrus

Augur
Project: Eternity
ESO's Morrowind map of Vvardenfell with locations marked (source: https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrol...nfell_with_confirmed/?st=j03y8abl&sh=c50c3043)
Vc01OQw.jpg

Nostalgia factor kicks in...

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I see they removed about all Imperial towns and forts. Hmmm. I thought they were going to lorelol that like the entire rest of the game according to earliel map screenies.

Aothan

Magister
just found out it is a free weekend, going to see what this game is like after all, but 85 gigabyte download first -_-

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom