Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Prime Junta

You could have simply given them the head...

I did. That's what you do when you get mugged by somebody stronger than you are.

Still not fair man. I'm the one supposed to be doing the mugging.

(Okay, seriously -- the thing I thought wasn't fair was that they didn't show up on the map. Just suddenly a cutscene. Where did they come from?)

Prime Junta

Seriously bros, this game is a lot like Nethack. Things are going swimmingly and then you encounter a gnome rocking a wand of death. I'm not even expecting to make it to the endgame any time soon at this point.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Got troubles with an enemy hiding behind his shield and riposte? Solved. Need to draw that swordmaster away from your 30 defense two hander toward your 50 defense tank? Solved. Necrosavant giving you headaches by attacking your backline? Solved. Give it to a tanky guy (high melee defense, max armor, defensive perks like shield master, steel brow, underdog...) and you'll be thankful.

What range on taunt? 3 tiles?

Also it works for 1 turn (next turn?)

Enemy wont use any defence skill and just attack?

What happens if enemy already in melee, it will take disengage hits?

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
For Iron man i also think to get 9 lives for all my people. With footwork/rotation it should save from dying often. It looks like it dont give permanent injury when activates.

Problem is that it is very hard to replace archers, few recruits (poacher, bowyer, hunter) have decent ranged attack stat. Hunter is like 50-52 for me, all others often 45-49.
Also no stars, maybe 1 at best.

What you think about 9 lives perk?

Nahel

Arcane
9 lives is good for tanky guys and can be useful for archers who get one-shotted. Not that useful for the rest of the backline.

Modron

Arcane
Any tips on what makes a good map with the crises in mind? I get the basic points like:

- Harbors at the edges for fast travel
- Good road network, no isolated islands
- A few big cities with production settlements nearby

But what should I look out for with the noble castles, or how affiliations are distributed?
Besides what you mentioned, having cities of 3 different factions close together in a somewhat central location is nice because you can quickly check if any of those factions need a siege broken via their noble house contracts. Granted you can manufacture this through missions to change a city's loyalty or during the noble wars.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
For Iron man i also think to get 9 lives for all my people. With footwork/rotation it should save from dying often. It looks like it dont give permanent injury when activates.

Problem is that it is very hard to replace archers, few recruits (poacher, bowyer, hunter) have decent ranged attack stat. Hunter is like 50-52 for me, all others often 45-49.
Also no stars, maybe 1 at best.

What you think about 9 lives perk?
IIRC also witch hunters can start with good ranged skill. And stars are random, this is why you can sometimes get a great archer - potentially - from a non-archer background. Someone with ranged in mid-high 40s and 3 stars will end in the mid/high 80s at level 11 on average i think. Still it is quite random and good archers are harder to find than good melee guys. I think the game lacks one more background for high skilled archer - not sure how to call it but someone like a... i don't know... a Bow Champion ("goes from archery tournament to another to make a living but sometimes joins a mercenery company for reasons") ? Would be the equivalent of a Swordmaster/Hedge Knight for archery.

What is people's thinking on Dodge perk ? I used to give it to all my guys early game. The reason being that early game all you have access to is light or light/medium armor so the defense boost from the perk seems worthwile. Otoh, this perk slot feels kind of wasted after i started upgrading to heavy armor. But then again early game is the hardest (or at least the most random) part so... Can't decide what to do in a new game.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Seriously, taunt is probably my new favourite perk. I never used it before, but now I would probably consider my 70 melee skill, 60 melee defence (three stars!) cultist who uses it the MVP of my team.

Explain? What's so good about taunt?
Got troubles with an enemy hiding behind his shield and riposte? Solved. Need to draw that swordmaster away from your 30 defense two hander toward your 50 defense tank? Solved. Necrosavant giving you headaches by attacking your backline? Solved. Give it to a tanky guy (high melee defense, max armor, defensive perks like shield master, steel brow, underdog...) and you'll be thankful.
Does taunt have a range or is it melee only? I've never tried it to be honest, always went for something else!

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That is what is strange. It seem everyone likes the game, but I haven't seen any big Youtubers for an example do anything. And from what I remember John Bain is PC centric and likes X-com. Nothing from PC gamer either, no Eurogamer etc etc.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In a VERY close call battle against a necromancer, I don't know how many wiedergangers and 4 (!!!) geists, everyone has to be called in to turn the tide.
Even the team's mascot.
PNcxWNR.jpg

Note the band's "leader" Ludolf to the right, taking on the necromancer.

Biter's incredible display of skill on the battlefield killed first one wiederganger, somehow restoring everyone's morale, then the last geist (seen in the screenshot), then the barely alive dog hasted to the rescue of Ludolf, who by then had killed the necromancer but was down to the last drop of health and any hit by the other undead would have finished him. Biter managed to kill one of the two undead and caught the attention of the other.

Biter died in this battle, to save the band and their leader.
Never forget the sacrifice and bravery of Biter. He will be missed. :salute:

I hate that dogs don't level up in this game.
I know I should probably have more of them and use them more often, but while I have no problem losing my sacrificial beggars, I simply can't stand it if a dog gets hurt. So I have only one and usually only use it if it is save (or absolutely required).

Last edited:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Battle Brothers not being moddable is a huge mistake, game being moddable can make or break the game sales-wise, especially if it's title like Battle Brothers, or Mount & Blade. Would be interesting to hear their reasoning behind the decision. Maybe they don't want to compete against free mods with the DLCs they might be planning?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Would be interesting to hear their reasoning behind the decision. Maybe they don't want to compete against free mods with the DLCs they might be planning?
Well, to make a game moddable, you have to plan your tech for it from the get-go.
If that wasn't done, any kind of mod support can only be an afterthought and either cost lots of time for dev (which they'd surely shy away from) or be shoddy and hard to do for modders (IMO the best we can hope for if my assumption that they did not plan that is correct).

If all of their gameplay mechanics and balancing values were hardcoded into the binaries (and not in external scripts that could be modified), then it simply won't happen, I think.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Would be interesting to hear their reasoning behind the decision. Maybe they don't want to compete against free mods with the DLCs they might be planning?
Well, to make a game moddable, you have to plan your tech for it from the get-go.
If that wasn't done, any kind of mod support can only be an afterthought and either cost lots of time for dev (which they'd surely shy away from) or be shoddy and hard to do for modders (IMO the best we can hope for if my assumption that they did not plan that is correct).

If all of their gameplay mechanics and balancing values were hardcoded into the binaries (and not in external scripts that could be modified), then it simply won't happen, I think.
But then someone could call it an error in judgement from the get-go. Sad if that is the case beause this games begs to be mod-ed.

Prime Junta

Okay, the Bolshevik Party hardcore run is in midgame. Things going well. Got a cash cushion of about 3500 crowns (was over 6000 but I just invested in some armour). Everybody's clad in chain of some variety, front line has a couple hauberks and one wolf armour, and everybody either kite or heater shields. Hitting level 7 on my most veteran veterans. I probably ought to build up my reserve, I only have one guy there ATM.

Strategically, I've been staying in mostly one area near the coast. Good places to stock up on nets, two cities, one major and two minor fortresses. Everybody likes me, yay! Also been farming some ancient ruins for a few easy 1000+ crown retrieval jobs.

In this one, I went with a bit of a new tactic: I've been building up skirmishers. I.e., when I found talent who are roughly equally good at ranged and melee, I started building up both, and gave them throwing weapons. It's working scarily well, although I really ought to have given more of them the Quick Hands perk: with most fights I can take one or two guys down before they even reach my lines, and give a few others some nasty wounds. I even took down an orc warrior with no casualties, although it did cost me, like, three or four nets -- just netted the damn thing and threw javelins at it until it had a couple injuries, then mobbed it. Expensive though, ammo costs money -- but less than fixing up injuries or training new bros, so it's most definitely worth it.

I've also been doing some light trading. Got a big score with dyes, everything else seems pretty low ROI as it is -- a couple hundred every once in a while.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have stopped fighting creatures and undead of any kind. Just doesn't make sense from an in-game standpoint. No good loot, way too dangerous and unpredictable combat scenarios. One geist can ruin your day. I just had a ghoul running around feeding unhindered on zombie corpses. Otherwise these guys are pushovers but not in combination with zombies. One of these full grown things just took a swipe at one my heavier dudes and downed him. This killed the morale of the other troopers and soon it all spiraled out of control. Not worth it. Just too many penalties for none of the rewards. Why risk the lives of your brothers for a pittance?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I accept a contract for a warlord. My starting cash is roughly 4500 geld, I'll get 3k on completion.

I keep running around chopping goblins until the fucking warlord finally appears.

Initiate combatings, I win and the only bad part is that one of my arrer boyz gets whacked in the face and saves vs deff to get a permanent limp.

I now have 1500 geld cuz I had to spend a lot on repairs and shit.

I return to quest giver and cash in the reward.

I am now back at 4500 geld and all I've got to show for it is a measly +20 or sth renown that I'd probably also get for hunting down some stupid brigands and an archer with a 20% initiative penalty.

dis sense of progression is truly very progressive such a gud gaem

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom