Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Also, consider google's personalized search result stuff and what effect that has on what some people see about him vs. those who check out GG links and right wing sites.
There's no smear campaign against this guy. Unless someone has hacked his Twitter account for the last 4 years, he only has himself to blame.
?

I mean some average person (or even a potential employer?) who googles his name because of some oblique mention on reddit or whatever may not get these negative results due to personalized search results... Or even find articles/posts defending him/obfuscating the issue.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
I dunno, he's not the only crazy-ass sjw in the industry and others like him get hired and rehired too. Plus "his people" love him mostly, anyway. And they're in most of the big companies now.
Also, consider google's personalized search result stuff and what effect that has on what some people see about him vs. those who check out GG links and right wing sites.

Don't forget he has a lucrative career in calendar modelling to fall back on even if he was totally excommunicated from the videogame industry.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
cvv I find your comments about the relative power of guns vs. powers a little confusing. I'm playing it on 'hardcore' and powers seem relatively weak as fuck.

I don't think I claimed powers are strong. Yeah, they are weak as fuck. Especially tech combos have been pretty shafted this time around.

As for modding/stacking bonuses, sure you can do that. Point is there are 3 or 4 guns that are so much better than everything else you might as well stack bonuses with them and ignore everything else. Why bother carrying around assault weapons or pistols (all of them crap), any other shotty than Dhan or any other sniper rifle than Isharay?

On Hardcore I struggled as fuck in the first half coz I instisted on using Overload and pistols with my engineer, my favourite build from ME3. Very slowly I discovered one of the best builds in ME3 is actually the worst one in MEA, since Overload is completely worthless and Carnifex has been criminally nerfed into a vegetable. Then I switched to Energy Drain, Incinerate, Cloak and Isharay and steamrolled the game. Didn't even die in the final battle once.

Btw the final battle was a joke, apparently all those people you helped before joined and fought with you but I barely registered them. The fighting was barely and more difficult than regular battles and enemies just melted anyway. And the boss just kindda hung there while you were running around pushing buttons? Jesus. Give me the experimental artsy ending from ME3 anytime. The only consolation was the design of Meridian which was once again drop-dead gorgeous. I seriously wanted to say fuck the fight and just drive around.

Also - in my previous comments I was mainly talking about MP where crafting is not a thing and all the nerfs are even more pronounced.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
I mean some average person who googles his name because of some oblique mention on reddit or whatever may not get these negative results due to personalized search results... Or even find articles/posts defending him/obfuscating the issue.

As I said. His Twitter profile = His words.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I wonder if I can get a refund if I tell steam support that I only really played for less than 2 hours, the other hours were all loading screens and shit?
Don't you mean Origin?

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
I dunno, he's not the only crazy-ass sjw in the industry and others like him get hired and rehired too. Plus "his people" love him mostly, anyway. And they're in most of the big companies now.

Don't forget he has a lucrative career in calendar modelling to fall back on even if he was totally excommunicated from the videogame industry.
I have no idea what you are talking about and I will not google this either damnit!

Edit: What do you mean "decline", it's self preservation on my part :D

Last edited:

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
cvv I find your comments about the relative power of guns vs. powers a little confusing. I'm playing it on 'hardcore' and powers seem relatively weak as fuck.

I don't think I claimed powers are strong. Yeah, they are weak as fuck. Especially tech combos have been pretty shafted this time around.

As for modding/stacking bonuses, sure you can do that. Point is there are 3 or 4 guns that are so much better than everything else you might as well stack bonuses with them and ignore everything else. Why bother carrying around assault weapons or pistols (all of them crap), any other shotty than Dhan or any other sniper rifle than Isharay?

On Hardcore I struggled as fuck in the first half coz I instisted on using Overload and pistols with my engineer, my favourite build from ME3. Very slowly I discovered one of the best builds in ME3 is actually the worst one in MEA, since Overload is completely worthless and Carnifex has been criminally nerfed into a vegetable. Then I switched to Energy Drain, Incinerate, Cloak and Isharay and steamrolled the game. Didn't even die in the final battle once.

Btw the final battle was a joke, apparently all those people you helped before joined and fought with you but I barely registered them. The fighting was barely and more difficult than regular battles and enemies just melted anyway. And the boss just kindda hung there while you were running around pushing buttons? Jesus. Give me the experimental artsy ending from ME3 anytime. The only consolation was the design of Meridian which was once again drop-dead gorgeous. I seriously wanted to say fuck the fight and just drive around.

Also - in my previous comments I was mainly talking about MP where crafting is not a thing and all the nerfs are even more pronounced.

Hahaha, the guns you mention are the exact ones I mostly ended up using when playing on higher difficulties... Yeah, the design here is just comical.

How was the hardcore difficulty early game though when you don't yet have those high damage guns? I played on medium then and already hated that...

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Why didn't you tell me that yesterday :(
https://www.origin.com/pol/en-us/store/great-game-guarantee
Well, in theory if there are any technical problems time limit is 72 hours instead (well, there is also one week limit but if I understand that correctly 24 hours after launching game for first time still applies). I never tries refund in that method but I guess it should not hurt to try?

Technical issues are certainly present. Might be worth a shot.

But... Doesn't that basically mean that you can refund any AAA title on origin at any time? :D

Modron

Arcane
I have no idea what you are talking about and I will not google this either damnit!

Edit: What do you mean "decline", it's self preservation on my part :D
Since I am such a friendly individual I will spoiler this
mv4xfZF.jpg
https://nogoblinstore.com/products/pre-order-men-of-game-development-2017-calendar-and-digital-pack
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nogoblin/men-of-game-development-2016-xtreme-edition
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nogoblin/men-of-game-development-2015
From the 2016 version but he has been a staple of the series apparently

J1M

Arcane

Another thing you can do, but isn't really required, is to take a few points in the combat skills with limited uses. The cooldown is very short, so when you are in a spot where you need a lot of damage you can instantly switch to that profile and use up the charges. The penalty for switching back is higher though. I will probably do that with my extra points now that I've maxed out the passives.

Also, I find your love of the Isharay confusing. Did you find a way to increase the clip size?

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
How was the hardcore difficulty early game though when you don't yet have those high damage guns? I played on medium then and already hated that...

Havarl was absolutely brutal. I was dying like a fly there. For some reason there's a huge spike of enemy damage between Eos and Havarl and those damn Roekaar Riders could three-shot you superfast.

Problem is the endgame has exactly the same enemies you bump into in the first 5 minutes on Eos so when you're level 60 with all the abilites and buffs they just don't pose any challenge. On level 60 even the Architect went down in like 2 minutes.

Enemy variety is also a huge problem in this game. Way too repetitive, way too samey throughout the game. The previous corridor-shooter games had mind-stoppingly boring environments but at least the encounter design was varied and interesting. Bioware was completely clueless how to make the new open worlds work - narratively, encounter-design-wise, quest-wise, content-wise etc. Mining is infuriating, Nomad is boring without the guns, the fetch quests are repetitive - this game is a fucking mess.

J1M

Arcane

Havarl was absolutely brutal. I was dying like a fly there. For some reason there's a huge spike of enemy damage between Eos and Havarl and those damn Roekaar Riders could three-shot you superfast.

Problem is the endgame has exactly the same enemies you bump into in the first 5 minutes on Eos so when you're level 60 with all the abilites and buffs they just don't pose any challenge. On level 60 even the Architect went down in like 2 minutes.

Enemy variety is also a huge problem in this game. Way too repetitive, way too samey throughout the game. The previous corridor-shooter games had mind-stoppingly boring environments but at least the encounter design was varied and interesting. Bioware was completely clueless how to make the new open worlds work - narratively, encounter-design-wise, quest-wise, content-wise etc. Mining is infuriating, Nomad is boring without the guns, the fetch quests are repetitive - this game is a fucking mess.
They expect you to go to Voeld before Havarl, I think. Although one is framed as *the* enemy stronghold and the other is framed as an interesting research expedition...

I agree about enemy variety. Fighting different species should feel different.

Martius

Liturgist
Technical issues are certainly present. Might be worth a shot.

But... Doesn't that basically mean that you can refund any AAA title on origin at any time? :D
I am not sure. So far I did it few times under 24 hours limit and all requested were accepted. I guess whole process works like steam refunds. You can always try but it may be denied.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Depends what you are into with books, but tell me what sort of story you like and give my an idea of your favorite author and I'll give you a few recommendations as I read shit loads.

As for games you might want to try Sunless Sea which was the last I played on a free trail, it was pretty interesting. i wasn't so enthused about starting it up, but it's got some good mechanics and has choose your own adventure style writing and quests, it's worth a look anyway. Another rougelike which looks good, though I never played it is FTL.

I don't know if you tried out the Witcher games but they are all worth a pop, especially if they're on sale, the first is a bit of a slog before it becomes really interesting and they all have their own problems with the combat, but I think they are well worth playing.

Also have you played all the older games. How about adventure? You could try out the remasters of the Monkey Island games, Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango, if you never played those games you are really missing out, also the telltale Sam and Max is pretty decent, as is their Tales of Monkey Island to a lesser extent.

Divinity Original Sin is pretty interesting too.

I guess you could pick up most of those games (except Witcher 3 and D:OS) for less than 10 bucks each and they are all far more worth of your time and money than this abortion of a game at 60 bucks or 42bucks or whatever they reduced it to today.

Appreciate the effort man! But there is no joy to be found in the age of decline... Well, not enough joy anyway.

FTL was ok when it came out, but rather short. They've had some big content update since I last played it though, so if you want to check it out you'll likely get a more complete experience than I did.

Played all the Witcher games, and of course all the old stuff like Monkey Island and Grim Fandango way back when those originally came out along with pretty much all the other classics like JA2, BG2, PST, all the little German gems like Albion and Schleichfahrt (Archimedean Dynasty in english apparently) etc.

DOS2 early access I've got on steam because the codex was reasonably positive about the first... Is the original DOS better? If not then I'm not sure I really want to bother. Nice effort in some respects but not quite my cup of tea (yet?).

Books... Oof. Back when I still read a lot I wasn't too hard to please tbh. Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon and Woken Furies (iirc), the Dune prequels (the house trilogy, House Atreides, House Harkonnen, House Corinno, not the newer butler's jihad stuff), The parts of Discworld where Pratchett was still in decent health... Hell I even read all of the HP books, but don't tell anyone on the Codex or anything. Of course the author turned out to be completely unhinged now with all the SJW crap, christ... Also read pretty much all the popular ones from Lovecraft to Martin and all the sci-fi stuff like Armour as well of course.
It's mostly now that I'm out of touch with the newer stuff of the last 6-10 years maybe. Always lacked a good review site or other kind of filter anyway.

On books if you like Sci-fi detective action stuff you should try The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester, it's 60 years old now, but full of interesting ideas, is brutal and moves at a breakneck pace, as does his other great book The Stars are My Destination.

I thought the Dune prequels were awful, if you haven't read the original 6 books by Frank Herbert you should give them a go. Some people don't like anything after the first book but I thought they all had good points.

My favorite Pratchett stories are the Sam Vimes Nightwatch ones. For other humorous books with good ideas try Douglas Adams or Robert Rankin (His best books are The Garden of Unearthly delights, Waiting for Godmolding and A Dog called Demolition) many of his latest books are kind of lazy, so I wouldn't start there. Saying that humor is subjective so you may either love this books or not enjoy them at all.

If you haven't read Fever Dream by Martin you should give that a go, also some good recent fantasy is the First law books, or Heros by Joe Abercrombie, or The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.

There are also some hit and miss but interesting collections of short stories by different authors based on Lovecraft. Called Weird Shadows over Innsmouth, Weirder Shadows over Innsmouth and a few more which have all been recently published.

Anyway there is a reading thread on the Public Library under general discussion on the forum if your interested in ideas and suggestions.

As for games it seems you've played everything, so I'm out of ideas, maybe get an old emulator and play sensible soccer, cannon fodder, ski or die, bar games and Samantha Fox strip poker:D

Oh yeah, I didn't forget about you or anything, in spite of mass effect andromeda's amazing transgendered and mentally retarded charms distracting me oh so effectively :D

I'll check out the reading thread, and thanks for the recommendations!

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Mass Effect: Andromeda animation lead confesses: "This one does not understand your human mouths"

mass%20effect%20andromeda%20animation%20lead%20confession.jpg

BioWare's animation lead has come forward to take full responsibility for Mass Effect: Andromeda's heavily-criticised animations, saying that "this one apologises for not understanding human bones".

Andromeda has been under fire even before it launched, with reviewers describing the persistent animation bugs as "terrifying" and "a perfect heir to the cosmic horror of the Reapers". BioWare has been reluctant to speak out about the issue, but pressure from fans has compelled the company to finally clear the air.

Hovering gently next to the microphone at a press conference outside BioWare's Montreal headquarters and reading from a pre-prepared statement clutched gently in its tentacles, animation lead Vynollendis flashed with bioluminescent regret as they delivered their message.

"This one feels great shame at having to guess how your human bones and muscles function," droned Vynollendis, mournfully. "This one possesses no bones of any kind. This one supports itself using a series of air-filled bladders, and was forced to imagine how it would manipulate a primitive framework of solid calcium deposits."

"This one acknowledges that Electronic Arts HR department forbade it from touching any more human co-workers due to the constant, lethal toxins this one excretes from its skin. This one deeply regrets the loss of several lives."

BioWare's general manager Aaryn Flynn added that the difficulty in finding a team who could "survive contact with, let alone understand what Vynollendis was saying" led to a roster of animators who only had "passing familiarity" with the human anatomy.

"Our commitment to diversity means that sometimes we have to make decisions like this," Flynn continued, shuffling away from a flailing Vynollendis.

"We apologise again for the weird crab-walking and horrific rictus grins, but we are sure our players understand we have to stand up for what we believe in."

"We embrace diversity in all its forms - whether that's ensuring great representation across the community, or hiring literal aliens from space to work on important animation issues that they could not possibly understand."

mastroego

Arcane
I knew I was gonna need the "meh" rating.
Sucks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom