Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Great Whale Road (historical, turn based, cards, hexes, C&C, management)

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
We'll be talking directly to the development team at their booth at Gamescom (full disclosure: I booked this before I had played the preview copy). I'll certainly have some comments and questions for them, but if you want to add your own, post them here.

With approximately 526 copies sold so far, this might be one of the tiniest games at the trade fair this year. Let's hope that booth pays off for them.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Oh right, they released their roadmap last week:

Early Access Dev Blog #1: The Whale Road-Map

Welcome to our first weekly Early Access dev blog post! Firstly thanks to all our players and the community activity - great suggestions and critique.

Now it is time to look ahead, and talk about what we have planned for the next few months. Please note that this roadmap is not cut in stone. We expect that we will be updating it as we move along, and as we receive more feedback.

We are aiming to release an update at the end of each month. Patches like v0.2.1 will be the exception. In this case we are splitting the scope of the release to be able to have updates ready in time for Gamescom. I know that this is not the the most exciting update, but gamedev is not only fun & games. ;)

August-Gamescom - v0.2.0: Enhanced Features, Usability Improvements & Bug Fixes
New Features:

• Ability to discard trading goods from the ship storage
  • New combat map: forest
  • Trading goods colour codes to indicate where they are produced
  • Character opinions for winter events
Improvements:

• Replacing “sleeping on board” screen with a day transition screen
  • Winter home settlement - Make winter wintery!
  • Updating sailing screens with light specific for each day stage
Bug Fixes:

• Remove ability of characters to swap places in combat
  • Characters will no longer pass through other characters during combat
  • Fix a bug where the player cannot leave a location after a saved game has been loaded
  • Fix a bug where the player cannot leave a location after combat
  • Fix a bug where armour sets are vanishing or the incorrect image is shown
Content:

• First character mission - Going north to Ribe and the Limfjord
  • Additional NPCs - Adding a second set of Saxon enemies
  • New winter events - Events at your home settlement during winter
  • New location events - Events when you are at other settlements
  • New locations along the Danish coast
August - v0.2.1: Events & Enhancements
New Features:

• Linking of events - Will allow us to combine events into chains for more story-telling options
  • Raiding of camps - This is the first phase of the raiding functionality. The ability to raid villages will be added later.
Improvements:

• Adding a weather system - Rain, and then some more rain
  • Event outcome randomisation - Some events results will have changing outcomes
  • Event character opinions - More variety of opinions
  • Trading goods balancing - Updating prices and availabilities
Content:

• New sailing events
  • New rumours
September - v0.3.0: Character Progression & Trade
New Features:

• Character to leader affinity
  • Character renown
  • Character progression
  • Character afflictions
  • Ship upgrades
  • Enhanced trade - A more dynamic trade system
Improvements:

• New sailing side-scrolling areas (cliffs, forest, swamp)
  • Fog, wind and sky variations
  • Main story events' cinematics
Content:

• New location events
  • New sailing events
  • New winter events
  • New character missions
October - v0.4.0: Combat & Story Update
New Features:

• Enhanced combat system
  • New event screen
Improvements:

• New combat AI
  • Event illustrations
Content:

• Additional Danish characters
  • Additional NPCs
  • Danish storyline chapters 2 & 3
  • Locations along the Frankish coast
  • Additional winter events
  • Additional location events
  • Additional sailing events
  • Additional rumors
We will extend the road map from this point on to the full release, as we get closer to the end of October. No studio can escape its wyrd.

Best.

Joachim @ Sunburned Games

That schedule seems slightly ambitious, but we'll see.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
RPS have reviewed this too and while I haven't read it in full, it sounds like they've reached basically the same conclusion as Bubbles: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/08/15/the-great-whale-road-review-early-access/

In fact, an awful lot about the Whale Road makes it feel like it is only a shadowy plan of things to come. All the imagery is there, the atmosphere and the vision. And what a vision. Just look at this map.

PE_whaleroad_10.jpg

I long to be able to go on raids and harass those dirty Christians in Wessex and get my warriors killed over an inconsequential argument in a tavern. I love that stuff. I’ve read a paragraph from the Poetic Edda, you know. I’ve fallen asleep to an audiobook of Beowulf. I am DOWN TO RUCKUS. But it looks like I’ll have to wait, sadly. All the scaffolding for this game exists. But the game itself? It’s nowhere to be seen. Maybe after the long winter.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Devs are staying busy, I see.
http://www.the-great-whale-road.com/blog/2016/9/30/early-access-dev-blog-the-updated-whale-road-map

Early Access Dev Blog #4: The Updated Whale Road-Map

Hello Everyone!
Gamescom was only a little bit over a month ago and we have been super busy in the meantime. Update v0.3.0 will be released on Monday (10/3) instead of today, as we have added so many new things that we have given ourselves a few more days for testing.

MONDAY - v0.3.0: TRADE, QUESTS & LOADS OF NEW FEATURES
New Features:

• Character loyalty
  • Character afflictions
  • Dynamic trade
  • Healers in settlements: See them if you want to recover quickly.
  • Fast travel
  • And hunting dogs finally hunt!
Improvements:

• A new event screen with a larger font and space for an illustration. We even added the first event images, with a lot more to come in the next updates.
  • Optimised for full HD and screen resizing for lower resolutions. Please let us know if you experience any issues on smaller/older screens.
  • Winter planning and results: revised screens and we changed the system from assigning focus points to assigning your villagers
  • A new weather system with fog, wind and sky variations
  • Streamlined the amount of intermittent screens
  • Combat rewards! Now some fights will result in you getting loot, in v0.4.0 we will limit loot to when you actually win a fight.
  • Odin, beer is no longer free! Spending the night partying at a tavern costs silver now.
  • Reduced the number of personality traits
Content:

• Two character storylines with quests and winter events
  • New sailing events for character afflictions
  • New winter events
  • Updated most location names in the game to increase their authenticity. Special thanks for historical-linguistic advice go to: Peter Alexander Kerkhof, PhD
END OF OCTOBER - v0.4.0: COMBAT & STORY
New Features:

• Enhanced combat system
Improvements:

• New combat AI
  • More new screens and Event illustrations
  • Loot!
Content:

• Danish storyline chapters 2 & 3
  • New character storylines
  • Additional Danish characters (Thorir Throatcutter & Widukind the Beardless)
  • Additional NPCs
  • Locations along the Frankish & Frisian coast
  • New winter events
  • New location events
  • New sailing events
  • New rumors
END OF NOVEMBER -v0.5.0: RENOWN & PROGRESSION
New Features:

• Renown
  • Character progression
  • Ship upgrade
Improvements:

• Combat enhancements
  • UI upgrade - part 1
Content:

• New warcries
  • Trading quests
  • New winter events
  • New location events
  • New sailing events
  • New rumors

Nahel

Arcane
So it might be interesting in one year or two, if enough people finance it. It is a pity, it had a lot of potential.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
They released a new version with a new UI and the second Chapter. Any impressions if the game's moving in the right direction?

Hello Everyone!

The last month was one of our busiest so far, across all the areas of our small team. We writers wrote more than 10,000 words for our main and character stories. The artists not only designed a new user interface, but also completed its implementation. And then they created and added all the new settlements, which we needed for chapter II of the Danish story. Development worked on loads of enhancements and fixes, with their main focus on changes to combat. The new combat design has been in tech pre-alpha for a little while now, and we will be starting a small closed alpha testing round with community members soon.

Features:
Main storyline - Chapter II.
Character quest for Kætill Steadfast.
Unlock a new hero - Thorir Throatcutter .
Nine new locations - Frisian and Frankish settlements - with the first ancient Roman buildings and ruins.
A new UI--the combat screens will be changed when we release combat v2.

Improvements/Balancing:
Product price range is shown on the map screen, as well as the originating region of trading goods.
Combat rewards are linked to winning and losing. And we can script events based on combat outcomes now.
Journey planning - food consumption and journey duration are shown.
We removed ranged enemies from sea battles.

Bug Fixes:
Fixed an AI crash issue.
Linux float changes.
Fixed a bug in combat where the player could select a dead character.
Fixed a bug when upgrading the ship, where population would be used like a consumable.
Fixed taverns in multiple locations.
Fixed missing music for some locations.
We will be shifting the roadmap back a wee bit, and move a few things around. We will post an announcement with the details shortly. "Shields!"

ushas

Savant
Um, looks like they are aiming at February/March release. There was v0.6.2 EA update on February 16.

January 6, 2017
The Last Few Weeks Of Rowing

Hello Everyone!

We haven't been very good at updating this blog in the last quarter of 2016, as we focussed on the TGWR Steam Community. Our last Early Access update in 2016 was the Yuletide patch on the 22nd of December, which included a number of fixes and enhancements to the base combat system. But we didn't stop there, and quite a few of us kept working throughout the holidays.

Mary, who is my partner in crime writing for the game, completed the storylines for the Frisians and the Franks. In the meantime I was able to progress the storyline of the Danes towards their grand finale. This week we are editing, and entering all the new text into our super important Master Text File. That will then go to our translators for the German, Italian, and French versions.

I have been liaising with Facebook and testing the Facebook Gameroom version of The Great Whale Road. We are excited that we have been selected by Facebook to be one of the first premium games to launch on their new desktop gaming platform. We had to upgrade the Unity version as well, which in turn required some code changes. We don't have a confirmed launch date yet, but it will be in the coming weeks.

Our artists completed two new side scrolling landscapes, white cliffs and sea marshes, before Christmas. Over the holidays we worked on some marketing assets and Lundenwic--in all its bygone Roman flair.

Now most of the team are working towards v0.6.0, which should be our final major release in early access. This version will include character and settlement progression, as well as a new AI and further enhancements to the combat system. We will try to include as many bug fixes as we can in this version as well.

We are aiming to fully release The Great Whale Road towards the end of February/March, which will be a busy time indie/RPG/strategy/tactics wise. But nowadays every month on Steam is busy, so we'll just have to deal with that. I am looking forward to the full release with suspense and a bit of fearful anticipation. It will decide if we get the chance to work on The Great Whale Road for a little longer to add the DLCs we have planned. We haven't made any concrete plans for a second title yet--there are a lot of dependencies and the level of success of The Great Whale Road will obviously be a key factor.

All the best for 2017 - and I hope to see you around,

Joachim @ Sunburned Games

gromit

Arcane
This apparently came out yesterday... I just heard about it, and would love to like it, but everything I've heard, everywhere I've looked, is "they could probably make something out of this." Even the Official Codex Preview, which opened pretty damningly.

Has anyone here been following this, seen the updates, have any final thoughts to add?

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://store.steampowered.com/app/464830/

steam_fullRelease_banner_1.png

The Great Whale Road is a story-driven RPG set in the Early Middle Ages. Travel through an ancient world, sailing along the North Sea and battling foes in turn-based combat. Interactive historical fiction comes to life through its digitally hand-drawn art, colourful characters, atmospheric soundtrack, and deeply researched lore.

Fight, trade and discover the story of your village and its heroes. Are you worthy to lead them to renown and riches?

Gameplay is split into two seasons. Winter to manage and plan for the year ahead and summer when you sail the whale road and visit other towns and villages. You and your warband have to fulfill a quest each year, while ensuring that you have sufficient food to feed everyone through the long months of winter. Digitally hand-drawn locations are connected by an atmospheric side-scrolling sailing mode. Grid based tactical combat means that Valhalla can be just a warcry away.

steam_fullRelease_features.png

• Storyline about the Danes from Úlfarrsted, a village on a small North Sea island just off the coast from the Danish-Saxon borderland.
  • A story-driven campaign from the north of Denmark to the south of England.
  • Character quests
  • Character progression
  • Equip characters with weapons and armour sets.
  • Four combat classes and associated warcries.
  • Land and sea combat environments.
  • An event system which covers all areas of medieval life from farming to family feuds.
  • Dynamic trade system.
  • Ship and settlement upgrades.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played it for maybe an hour months ago, it seemed promising but I wasn't willing to put much time into it. Anyone tried the full version? I have it installed and might give it a go.

Maybe I can make a gameplay video if someone convinces me that FRAPS is worth purchasing, or if there is some other convenient software that will get the job done.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Looks too gamey. What up with the card game combat.

People need to stop baiting with pseudo-historical setttings implying they tried to make combat authentic.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I challenged commie to buy it and try it, but whether he will or not I've no idea.

Nah, maybe if it's fixed, but before then it probably will be effectively abandoned and in a $1 tier bundle to scrape up some coin. I'd much rather try Crisis in the Kremlin when all the free DLC's are integrated and a bit more depth added. That looks a much more interesting game for a Red and far too few old school political sims around.

Freakydemon

Educated
Pirated it to give it a shot. Played for about 2 hours and I can say I'm thoroughly unimpressed and uninterested. Gameplay is split up into 3 segments.

I. Settlement management (Winter)
Start of the year is wintertime when you set up how many villagers will work what professions/jobs that need to be done around the settlement for the coming year. Very basic assignment and not much to it, you get an update on how they progressed at the end of winter when the next phase of the game comes into play during summer time. This plays like an extremely simplified version of the settlement management of King of Dragon's Pass, it doesn't have much depth and thus leads to complete apathy to the system. The rune sign is an indicator of how advanced this occupation is, you can spend resources like wood, tools, rope, seeds, etc. to upgrade these to increase efficiency (+5%) and increase the amount of workers this occupation can have as a maximum. The resources for these are mostly gathered by raiding or trade.

5bPw0P8.jpg

Settlement management at start of winter
After making your adjustments for the year it goes through winter where it skips through weeks/months to when interactable events take place. Usually 2-3 a winter. You pick a solution to the proposed problem and you get some text describing the consequences of your decision with resulting resources being gained or lost if applicable. For example offering livestock to the gods will reduce your food pool, sending people to hunt dangerous wildlife might reduce population if they get killed, etc.

ytYOzZc.jpg

One of the text events that will happen during winter time​

aCerh6V.jpg

Results of the assignment of labour in the beginning of winter with the modifiers of happiness and winter events​

II. Sailing (Summer)
So after the amazing fun that was extremely basic settlement management you reap the fruits of your labours in the form of trading goods produced by the craftsmen and keeping everyone well fed with the various foodproduction methods. Load up the Danish longship with said goods, food for the hard days of rowing ahead, some repair tools, pick your heroes to accompany you and set sail for adventure! Except you don't really, you can't sail anywhere but quest locations, main- or sidequest. You'll be able to stop at settlements along the way if needed of your objective but your end goal must always be a quest location. At reaching your location you're not allowed to leave until you have solved your quest which then immediately ends that Summer section of the game and skips you home to the next winter. In the screenshot below you can see how travel from your homestead to the quest location Brema will always follow this route. It is not possible to plan a trading trip from Ulfarrsted to just Ambrum and return home for example.

tIFyrOV.jpg

The world map where you select your journey's destination. To the west there's Saxon England's eastern coast, Pictland, Friesia and finally Francia as Normandy and Bretagne. You can also sail up north to the end of Denmark

lEEhW1i.jpg

Preparations for sailing journeys include picking the heroes you'll bring along and the goods/supplies for trading and consuming on the coastal seas​

Setting off in the longship at last you go through daily events similar to the ones you have during the settlement management for wintertime only now it's focused on events such as raiders trying to trick you into an ambush during foggy weather with horns, finding run aground ships, encountering easy pickings for some completely event based raiding (women, children, elderly), getting into stormy weather, etc. How you resolve these affect your resource pools of what you took along during the journey and the stats of your heroes who are also rowing. Each day of rowing reduces endurance and to recover any stat you'll have to find a friendly settlement to moor and rest in one of their halls. When a hero's stat pool goes below the annotated notch they'll start grumbling which results in losing morale which in turn affects their loyalty, this comes into play during combat later.

QMlQqPk.jpg

Sailing event where it's pretty obvious what you're supposed to do when faced with tides directing you into danger​

Stopping at towns greats you to a scene similar to your own town. Depending on the size and purpose of the town/stop you'll have different options available to spend one day. This includes hunting for pelts & food, trading goods, resting heroes in one of the town's halls, feasting at the mead hall, healing heroes, buying weapons & armour from the local blacksmith or advancing quests. You can take several of these options on the same day. You have active tasks such as hunting, sleeping, etc. which you must assign a hero to and passive tasks such as trading which can be done at any time without assigning a hero. So in one day you could sell your tradegoods, buy some weapons from blacksmith, assign two heroes to hunt, one to sleep and the last one to feast. Sleeping, feasting and healing are to restore certain stats of the hero assigned that task.

ovdSHLL.jpg

Overview of the first town you'll visit in the game, to the north off-screen there is the option to hunt for food and pelts​

When you have traded and rowed your way across to your destination you'll end up in some sort of camp or town again, wait around by doing actions and sleeping until the quest marker will pop up somewhere in town. Quests play like other events where you some descriptive text with your companions giving options or advice on how to proceed and you picking the desired outcome if a choice is offered. Of the few quests I did they all ended with fighting no matter what you picked so mileage may vary in how much choice you really have.

III. Combat
Which brings me to the absolute worst part of the game: Combat. The turn based combat is one of the most uninteresting and utterly boring battle systems I have played in the last couple of years. I didn't even mind the combat in Tides of Numenera, make of that what you will, but The Great Whale Road seems to have combat that is something you'd expect of a prototype or early alpha. There are no enticing systems at play here, no interesting manoeuvres or movements, no skills, no AoE, no nothing. All units have a non-aggressive and aggressive action per turn. The non-aggressive are moving 1 to 3 tiles (all units can move the same distance which is maximumly 3 tiles) or using a single taunt once. The aggressive action is either attacking a unit that is within range or activating a melee overwatch. The overwatch ability gives a singular free hit to the first enemy to enter the overwatch region of the character which is the reach of the weapon in all directions. Only one enemy will receive one hit, that's it. There is no area of control or attacks of opportunity for moving within reach of characters so you can run around as much as you want, though you can't run through an occupied tile. If you don't use your aggressive action you'll enter a Defensive Stance which gives 100% block chance as long as you have Defence Points (DP) left, shown as little shields above characters during combat, it will also regenerate your DP pool. Higher DP pools give higher chances of an attack not hitting if it is a slash attack or converting it to a pierce attack, losing only 1 DP and 1 HP instead of for example a 6 HP hit. Evasion gives the chance evading of an attack all together. When DP of a character runs out they can no longer enjoy 100% block chance during a Defence Stance and have no hit chance negation for the enemy.

va59z0h.jpg

Shown here is the range of Bera's "Cautious Move" taunt, her defence points (DP), her class, leadership role and her combat stats. The taunt uses warcy points which the party total of is shown in the upper left corner​

Using the attack options gives several options on how to use your melee weapon be it blunt, piercing or slashing dependent on the weapon type the character is using. Pierce will always deal 1 HP damage and 1 DP damage per hit but at lowered accuracy. Blunt will deal 2 DP damage per hit. Slash is the all-rounder which has average chance of piercing or doing high HP damage. Realistically you'll be spamming blunt/pierce attacks until the enemy loses his DP and then spamming slashing attacks.
There's no advantage over attacking separate targets since there are no morale changes during combat and no opportunity to route enemies. Using an attack depending on the weapon type (which is the only thing the classes really do, assign weapon types and taunts) will give a certain amount of hits per attack, the expected damage per hit and the critical hit chance. Each hit gets rolled according to the hitchance in a damage roulette somewhat similar to certain WH:40K boardgames.

zMhtfpU.jpg

Damage roulette of a 2 hit axe-hammer. Both attacks were hits, first hit was a Pierce for 1 HP and 1 DP damage; second hit a Slash for 2 HP damage.​

Melee weapons have ranges of 1 or 2 tiles, 2 tile weapons can reach over enemies and friendlies. Ranged weapons I didn't get access to but it seems about 5-6 tiles when used against me, they have very low damage mostly 1 HP when actually hitting. Line fighting is only there in the aspect of having higher reach weapons since no actual defensive lines can be formed with the unlimited movement during combat.

All this leads to utterly uninspired combat encounters which are always on flat planes with the exact same battle grid layout. The only variation I have encounterd during my 2 hours being the occasional small campfire blocking the middle of the battlefield for a couple of tiles, this could have created a two pronged attack scenario if only manoeuvring was relevant. Some interesting or animated visuals might have distracted you from the soulless monotony but the only animations you'll be getting is a swipe graphic for attacks, a shield popping up for defensive stance, some blood spilling, the damage roulette and upon character death the figurine turning into a broken shield & sword which falls to the ground. These are the only animations in the battle scenes I can remember seeing. The backgrounds don't do much better with it either being a generic town or forest scene. Clicking on your men and giving orders isn't even a smooth experience in that clicking on anything might not register in the game at all. Selecting units might take 4-5 clicks at times, and this was no gamelag or hanging it just refused to register the click, to select or move units. Since all selection boxes are available at all times it'll be more than once per encounter where you'll be accidentally clicking on a friendly character, who ever minutely overlapped with your actual target, leading to cancellation of your order having to redo the several clicks.

IV. The rest
The story so far is a very gripping "Your Jarl was betrayed and murdered by Saxons, are you a bad enough dude to avenge him!?" I have nothing more to say about this really. Sidequests seem to mainly revolve around revenge either by your hero companions, yourself or others who want to exact their revenge on your clan. Combat and violent means is what rules the day here. They'll throw any old excuse at you to force you back into the droning combat cycle once more.
The music ranges from acceptable to very forgetful. Especially the music played during combat only deepens the sorrow you'll feel being stuck in this endless loop for one more encounter. Also some loading times are easily 20 seconds on my HDD which is quite a while for some mediocre static 2D art.

This had some good ideas but they completely fucked the execution of every part. The settlement stuff is too simple, the sailing too restrictive which in turn makes the settlement even less impactful, and the combat so bare bones that no one would be entertained by this for longer than half an hour. It's a prototype released as a fully fledged game and it shows.

This ended up taking a lot longer to write than I expected it to.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The studio closes its doors, and the game is removed from store: https://steamcommunity.com/games/464830/announcements/detail/1660014466486400974

A heartfelt goodbye

Hi everyone!

After many a month traveling the whale road it is time to stow away the oars. Our heartfelt thanks go out to our players, beta testers, friends and everyone who worked on The Great Whale Road.

The game, while a labour of love, is certainly not without flaws. This obviously impacted sales and stopped the ideas for any expansions or follow-up titles.

We will be stopping sales of the game shortly as we are closing the studio. The game does not have any server side components, thus will stay playable in your libraries - as long as Steam exists, thus for a long time.

Enjoy the many great games out there, 2018 will be great vintage.

Thank you!
Sunburned Games

I wonder why they had to stop selling the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom