Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 5

Hyperion

Arcane
Motherfucker, missed out on the Premium Edition. Sold out everywhere. Rather than commit weebacide, I'll go the somewhat sane route and get the Steelbook Edition. Love me a nice, sturdy game box anyway. Didn't even care for P4 Golden, and have a backlog of about 9 games but this may very well jump to the front of the pack.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Going to pick my ps4 copy on the 5th, set me back 59€ for the steel book version, the normal version won't even be sold here.

The gaming area clerk at the store was geeking out about it the entire time he was making my pre order.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
So what's with all the hype this game is getting? Looks like a typical anime game

because it's a turn based rpg that no western companies except larian are making nowdays.

And when a game has a main story that is 100 hours long without open world and everything hand crafted, you know you are in for something special.

persona 3 was good, persona 4 was amazing back at the time when i played it and already i liked it more than any final fantasy i ever played.

Not even Baldur's Gate 2 or Witcher 3, which are considered content heavy have as much content as P5

Persona 5 will be something special indeed

Last edited:

Exhuminator

Arcane
I've had this preordered on Amazon for a while, I guess it's going to ship soon. It'll be interesting to read members' opinions here, maybe offer some contrast to the tsunami of overwhelming positive reviews. Or maybe those reviews are actually warranted, we'll see.

Personally the only Persona I've played was P3P. I tried to get into it earlier this year, but after 15 hours or so I just couldn't take it anymore. P3P was mind numbingly repetitive with a boring plot, just meh. Despite that experience, I've got P4G, which I plan to play before P5. I'm hoping P4G fixes all the dumb stuff in P3P, and then P5 takes things to 11.

Declinator

Arbiter
I've had this preordered on Amazon for a while, I guess it's going to ship soon. It'll be interesting to read members' opinions here, maybe offer some contrast to the tsunami of overwhelming positive reviews. Or maybe those reviews are actually warranted, we'll see.

Personally the only Persona I've played was P3P. I tried to get into it earlier this year, but after 15 hours or so I just couldn't take it anymore. P3P was mind numbingly repetitive with a boring plot, just meh. Despite that experience, I've got P4G, which I plan to play before P5. I'm hoping P4G fixes all the dumb stuff in P3P, and then P5 takes things to 11.
Why would you preorder a sequel to a game you haven't played but own which itself is a sequel to a game you found mind-numbingly repetitive with a boring plot? Boggles the mind. You should have first played Persona 4 and then made a decision or better yet still held off on preordering even if you liked P4 because there is no reason to preorder.

sullynathan

Arcane
So what's with all the hype this game is getting? Looks like a typical anime game

because it's a turn based rpg that no western companies except larian are making nowdays.

And when a game has a main story that is 100 hours long without open world and everything hand crafted, you know you are in for something special.

persona 3 was good, persona 4 was amazing back at the time when i played it and already i liked it more than any final fantasy i ever played.

Not even Baldur's Gate 2 or Witcher 3, which are considered content heavy have as much content as P5

So as a non Jrpg player, would this series be friendly to newcomers?

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Tell me...Are you still chasing black blobs around hallways. Or can you now see what you are going to fight?

Zep--

Exhuminator

Arcane
Why would you preorder a sequel to a game you haven't played but own which itself is a sequel to a game you found mind-numbingly repetitive with a boring plot? Boggles the mind. You should have first played Persona 4 and then made a decision or better yet still held off on preordering even if you liked P4 because there is no reason to preorder.
I tend to buy Atlus games by default to support the company. I like the majority of their games, any money I can throw their way to encourage them to continue localizing releases stateside is money well spent. Besides, if P5 sucks, I can easily resell it to some desperate weeb.

Hyperion

Arcane

If you decide to get into the series with Oddech's recommendations, just note that the Raidou Kuzonoha games are Action RPG's. I found the 1930's private detective sleuthing setting pretty cool, though.

Cromwell

Arcane

they said the same about p3 which meant the main story would be over in about 20 hours and you spend the remaining 80 running along corridors because you are forbidden from progressing in the story.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

they said the same about p3 which meant the main story would be over in about 20 hours and you spend the remaining 80 running along corridors because you are forbidden from progressing in the story.

p3 had one random dungeon, p5 got many hand crafted

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

It's friendly , but some of the anime stuff can be too much if you can't stand it.

I think maybe you'd like playing SMT 3 or SMT4. 3 it's a classic, the tone it's darker and the game focus on combat, exploring dungeons and party building. Persona series in addition has a lot of dating sim, and waifu hunting stuff.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

It's friendly , but some of the anime stuff can be too much if you can't stand it.

I think maybe you'd like playing SMT 3 or SMT4. 3 it's a classic, the tone it's darker and the game focus on combat, exploring dungeons and party building. Persona series in addition has a lot of dating sim, and waifu hunting stuff.

The SMT games are better than Persona, although I quite enjoy Persona 3's atmosphere. Having recently played Tokyo Mirage Sessions I'm not sure I can handle much more persona style stuff although that game was a pretty good iteration on it. Recommending SMT3 is the way to go for getting someone into the whole SMt/Persona/etc series, cause if someone should play just one of them then Nocturne is the game to play.

Malpercio

Arcane

Every Persona past 3 is casual fuck, they are basically the ME/DA of JRPG, down to people obsession with romances.

They are narrative-driven experience and you basically can't mess the characters' build or anything like that. Even the combat i a worse and more casual version of SMT3's battle system.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

If you think Persona as a series, then maybe yes. Persona 3 and 4 is really the same game with different narative, and it looks like P5 will not change much of the formula. If you think the series belong to SMT, naratively, no, because P3 onwards, Persona games has a much lighter tone. Mechanically, yes, new Persona series has a simplified press turn system from mainline SMT games. Being familiar with fusion and combat mechanic will somewhat help if you are going to play the mainline SMT games.

Persona, starting from 3, is as much a blobber/jrpg as it is Japanese high school drama game. Difficulty wise, in normal, everything is a piece of cake. Higher difficulty usually makes the game hard enough it is acceptable. There are rarely any hard wall to progress in the story though, unlike mainline SMT games where there are some bosses that is really difficult that you can be screwed out of your playthrough (or alternatively, need to grind another 10 - 20 hours). And because it is a Japanese high school drama game with a strong feels of coming of age theme, if you really dislike that aspect of Japanese modern culture, I doubt you will enjoy new Persona games.

Ivan

Arcane
never played any of these games. the only JRPG I've really played was the Pokemon games on gameboy color. what's the catch?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
never played any of these games. the only JRPG I've really played was the Pokemon games on gameboy color. what's the catch?

Well, I wouldn't say that it is a different beast entirely. There are element weakness/strength system just line in Pokemon games. I dunno if this will be changed in P5, but you also have limited number of skill slots (8 if I am not mistaken), and you need to replace old skills with new one you learn. Your party member has their own skills to learn, but the Main Character skills is determined with what Persona he has equipped. Getting new persona is a bit like Pokemon monster catching, there are shit ton of them each having different elemental weakness and skills. You can later fuse different Persona into new one that will inherit the parents' skills. The mainline SMT games has simillar gameplay (albeit deeper and more difficult).

I would say try it, so long you can stuff the high school drama stuff.

Ivan

Arcane
well, back then I didn't know what "grind" was but now I do and certainly don't have the time or tolerance for it. are these games grindy? I'm seeing these games run for tens of hours and wonder if it's due to that.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Persona games are quite long even if you don't grind. You probably will need to grind a bit if it's your first time playing and you don't know how to fuse good Persona / demons. You will definitely need to grind for optional boss fights. Participating in the social stuff like making friends with NPCs is one of the ways to alleviate grind in Persona. You unlock nice things that way, like bonus XP when you fuse a new Persona which will make them level up a few times once your social links are high enough. Getting max rank will also unlock the best Personae of whatever arcana type the NPC represents.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
well, back then I didn't know what "grind" was but now I do and certainly don't have the time or tolerance for it. are these games grindy? I'm seeing these games run for tens of hours and wonder if it's due to that.

If you know what you are doing then no. You will need to do that when you blow your money and persona/demon away for some bad summon that set you back from killing a boss, optional or not. It is less of a problem in Persona due to the easier difficulty though. You can always start the game in Normal rather than higher difficulty to learn around the system first.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
P3 ironman without hint book on normal is hard, and midbosses are made of RAPE. Dunno about bosses, because I took a hint, and prepared on them, thus they were somewhat doable. I managed somehow ironman for one year.

P4 was completely fine without grind until I get to last floor of one of last dungeon, and then it switched to difficulty level Asian. And in one turn my characters changed from healthy to exploded.

So there is no grind in P4, and you know you wanna be bit better in P3 ironman. But as long as you don't abuse certain mechanic, you'd be too tired to be able to do much grind.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Normal was best for P3 FES, and for P4. Easy is just for these who wanna just enjoy story.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom