Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
all my efforts, all my money, wasted.
fuck off.
The Secret World servers will continue to exist, so transition to Legends is not mandatory.

And besides, I assume you played and enjoyed the stuff you payed for, how can you say that it is wasted?

As for the game, I'm all for it. Even though I consider this the best MMO ever just because of the story fagness, I gave up at some point because of the shitty combat. I really hope they improve this part of the game.

Drakron

Arcane
So B2P failed ... lets go F2P.

Pass ...and I certainly do not wish to go back to THAT shitty community, fuck them.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
More information over in MassivelyOP interview.
http://massivelyop.com/2017/03/29/e...-and-the-end-of-updates-for-the-secret-world/

We're confused on the status of the original TSW -- will it still be fully accessible and playable, or is it being outright replaced? If it will continue on separately, will original TSW receive updates and future content like the much-anticipated season 2, or will all new development only be in the new Legends game?

Anyone that owns The Secret World will be able to continue to play it. Secret World Legends will exist as a separate product so it will have its own account system, installation, server, etc. Future development will be focused on Secret World Legends exclusively.

Great. So old game is effectively dead.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Did anyone try out the new combat? I have it installed at home but I won't get there until late.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Did anyone try out the new combat? I have it installed at home but I won't get there until late.
Wait, did the game already go live? I thought it is months to go.

More information over in MassivelyOP interview.
http://massivelyop.com/2017/03/29/e...-and-the-end-of-updates-for-the-secret-world/

We're confused on the status of the original TSW -- will it still be fully accessible and playable, or is it being outright replaced? If it will continue on separately, will original TSW receive updates and future content like the much-anticipated season 2, or will all new development only be in the new Legends game?

Anyone that owns The Secret World will be able to continue to play it. Secret World Legends will exist as a separate product so it will have its own account system, installation, server, etc. Future development will be focused on Secret World Legends exclusively.

Great. So old game is effectively dead.
Well, TSW always should had been a single player RPG, so the fewer players play it the better. :M At least I can pretend that I'm playing a single player game.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Finally this might be playable, did they announced the changes on combat? Heard somewhere they were trying to turn the combat more active like a Path of Exile and are changing the animations, heard they were getting rid of the whole resource system too... good news having in mind what we had before.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finally this might be playable, did they announced the changes on combat?
I haven't seen any details in the few previews I skimmed. RPS did note something interesting - they're not even calling it an MMO any more; now it's a "shared world action-RPG". So that kind of tells you something.

Finally this might be playable, did they announced the changes on combat? Heard somewhere they were trying to turn the combat more active like a Path of Exile and are changing the animations, heard they were getting rid of the whole resource system too... good news having in mind what we had before.
if they had changed the game, fine. but they're doing an entire different game, i wouldn't have too high hopes.

DeepOcean

Arcane
What a massive fuck you from funcom to the TSW community...
The drama on the TSW forum is exploding, the old servers will become a ghost town as most new players will play on legends and not on classic. Anyway, if they manage to make the combat tolerable it will be a win for me but I understand why some people are pissed off.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The drama on the TSW forum is exploding, the old servers will become a ghost town as most new players will play on legends and not on classic. Anyway, if they manage to make the combat tolerable it will be a win for me but I understand why some people are pissed off.
Worse thing is... This won't even have any new content, it's just the release version with the old dlc being release later.

So everyone has to replay all the old content again for a few more years before they either release something new or go bankrupt, the later being the most likely scenario.

vampiregrave

Educated
What does the change away from an MMO to an RPG mean for future content? Such as, we know that the stories for season 2 and 3 are already written -- will we still get to see them? Will the seasons be expansion packs that will now be purchased (as opposed to smaller DLC issues)?

All future story content and quest content will be free. One of the main reasons we are relaunching is to enable us to release the rest of the story content for Secret World Legends. We will be releasing the first part of Season 2 later this year.

I'm not holding my breath though.

Stokowski

Arcane
So everyone has to replay all the old content again for a few more years before they either release something new or go bankrupt, the later being the most likely scenario.

At the moment it seems Funcom couldn't find their own arsehole with both hands.

First release a crudely bolted-together 30 minute walking simulator out of pre-existing materials, then a zero-effort survival sandbox alpha that compeltely devalues your biggest non-original IP, then attempt a significant retooling of your largest MMORPG about four years too late to help.

Management this bad is almost tragic, really.

bylam

Funcom
Developer

First release a crudely bolted-together 30 minute walking simulator out of pre-existing materials, then a zero-effort survival sandbox alpha that compeltely devalues your biggest non-original IP, then attempt a significant retooling of your largest MMORPG about four years too late to help.

Yeah hilarious. Funcom actually making money for the first time since we were doing work-for-hire for Disney in the 90's. The Park and Conan Exiles are actual concrete successes for Funcom. With profit and everything.
Such terrible management.

I haven't exactly stalked the guy, but is bylam hands-off with TSW?
Yeah, I got moved off TSW in 2014 - first to make The Park and then Exiles.

I still talk to the team though and they are still working from the story outline I wrote for the game. I'm also in the Secret World Legends beta, so I have been playing it quite a bit and sending feedback.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

Yeah hilarious. Funcom actually making money for the first time since we were doing work-for-hire for Disney in the 90's. The Park and Conan Exiles are actual concrete successes for Funcom. With profit and everything.

I still talk to the team though and they are still working from the story outline I wrote for the game. I'm also in the Secret World Legends beta, so I have been playing it quite a bit and sending feedback.
Can you tell us about the combat and progression a bit?

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Mind sharing a few thoughts on amazing management, such as:

Any explanation why Funcom failed to mention they were relaunching the game as F2P , selling the original (now never to be supported with updates) up to the day of the announcement?

Relaunching the game with no new content while removing all the post release updated content? I mean, players of the original were already content starved, now you are "forcing" them to replay the original launch content, with the updates being only repackaged old content... how long have they been waiting for an expansion to the story content?

This all sounds extremely anti-consumer, outright immoral in my opinion.

His Majesty

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Worse thing is... This won't even have any new content, it's just the release version with the old dlc being release later.

According to the current game director this year will see the launch of season 2 with what I hope will be a new zone (Congo?).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom