Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I actually think one crossbow is enough and 2-3 bows are a must, even from the beginning. The 1-2 tiles of extra range are really important when fighting ranged enemies. If they can hit you and you can't... then you have a problem

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Do not listen to the guy above guy above me.
Xbows are more about hybrids and heavy armor when bows are more about damage and dodge.
Xbows have less range so you can wear heavier helmets with no penalty, they have more accuracy so you can spend points at melee sKills. Low rate of fire so you do not take overhealm and not build initiative but grab heavy armor instead.
Bows have great range so no helmets, great rate of fire so initiative plus overwhelm so light armor. Ranged defense is more important as you do now want to get hit when you are light armored.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
That is a good idea actually but my hybrids carry javelins/throwing axes instead. They can throw 4 of them in 2 rounds and then proceed to hack with their 2 tile range weapon of choice

da_rays

Augur
Havent touch that thing since i saw it in EA. Finally break and bought it. I really like what im seeing . Did 2 quick runs on my diner break , and dayyumm. That game is harsh . In a good way. Any good tips for a beginner? Ive been severely mauled with my 2 campaigns ''quick started'' . Im guessing fishermen and tailor dont make the best of teammate heh?

any advantage to take up militia / hunter or any 1500G+ caracter over the cheap one? I get that the cheaper one need some fighting experience AND surviving those said experience to get better and eventually decent fighter.

Also, love that map and how you move around the world. It give a very darklandy feeling . Incline all the way for now . Im REALLY glad ive waited for the release on this one.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
That is a good idea actually but my hybrids carry javelins/throwing axes instead. They can throw 4 of them in 2 rounds and then proceed to hack with their 2 tile range weapon of choice
I find trowing weapons rather weak. I hear that some guys have great success with them but when I tried to use them they were not specially effective.
Do you give them throwing mastery or overwhelm?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I find trowing weapons rather weak. I hear that some guys have great success with them but when I tried to use them they were not specially effective.
Do you give them throwing mastery or overwhelm?
I like throwing weapons because of 2 attacks per round and even more: actual damage to skeletons.
I don't have completely set builds as you do but I do love overwhelm for my ranged bros! Masteries are not always a must - apart from the bow one of course. Dat extra tile :P

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Havent touch that thing since i saw it in EA. Finally break and bought it. I really like what im seeing . Did 2 quick runs on my diner break , and dayyumm. That game is harsh . In a good way. Any good tips for a beginner? Ive been severely mauled with my 2 campaigns ''quick started'' . Im guessing fishermen and tailor dont make the best of teammate heh?

any advantage to take up militia / hunter or any 1500G+ caracter over the cheap one? I get that the cheaper one need some fighting experience AND surviving those said experience to get better and eventually decent fighter.

Also, love that map and how you move around the world. It give a very darklandy feeling . Incline all the way for now . Im REALLY glad ive waited for the release on this one.

>Spear and shields early
>so not forget caps and armor - its save life
>numbers are quality on its own
>level up early archers more as hybrids with polearms
>buy used/damaged goods - save money
>do not afraid to run and broke contracts
Hunters are one of the best ranged and militia is T2 melee(very solid background).
Brawlers are best T1 background(cheap and solid), Caravan Guards are mix of T1/T2
Witchhunters can be decent and they have great background trait +20 to defensive rolls against panic/mid control

da_rays

Augur
Good tips , thank a bunch . Just restarted a new campaign . Spears and shield are indeeda must while starrting . Havent hit mid and late game yet but its going a bit better with 3 solid shield bearer in the front and 3 ranged bro moving around and sniping away ennemies.
Im guessing that tailors , bowyer and such are more capable of repairing stuff and such?

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Im guessing that tailors , bowyer and such are more capable of repairing stuff and such?

There are special events associated with the two you mentioned by name--they have to have reached a certain level and you have to have certain items in your inventory.

tindrli

Arcane
i always go with 2 bows and 2 crossbows or 1 crossbow and 2 bows. quick hand is a must for everybody in second line

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Does the dodge perk work as advertised? I'm not seeing defense skills go up on the character sheet, like how brawler makes your max fatigue go up immediately.

I don't know - I have the same paranoia. I do see on the tooltip in battle that the bros are "dodging", but I'm not positive.

Parabalus

Arcane
Does the dodge perk work as advertised? I'm not seeing defense skills go up on the character sheet, like how brawler makes your max fatigue go up immediately.

You can see it working in battle, both as a buff icon and a stats buff if you open the character sheet. Wierded me out too at first, it's prolly cause it gets impacted by fatigue.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is 1x direwolf mail + 3x direwolf hide armor (in mint condition for some reason) a good result for a 2 skull contract of hunting down disguised bandits at day 24? ;)

Prime Junta

Whoever recommended taking wolf contracts early on as easy money, fuck you and the pony you rode in on. Those things move too fast to catch them in a spearwall. Just lost a perfectly good bro to them.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Whoever recommended taking wolf contracts early on as easy money, fuck you and the pony you rode in on. Those things move too fast to catch them in a spearwall. Just lost a perfectly good bro to them.
Gotta dogpile them to make them pussy out.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Afaik caravan runs are completely up to luck... You just were really unlucky and a lot of enemy groups were roaming around your route simultaneously. It could even be that they were chasing each other when your caravan passed by..
Yeah, I wouldn't pick caravan runs on ironman (if given a choice). You can get super lucky (I got 500 gold for free, once, basically) or face one battle after the next.

Prime Junta

Gotta dogpile them to make them pussy out.

I know, I won the battle pretty easily. They just swarmed one end of my line and took out the guy at the end in the opening. They're not hard to beat even early on, but there's a big risk of casualties.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Is there an easy, visual way to tell whether a town only has noble faction quests? Is it only the fortresses that are like that?

Yes. Also, hovering over, you should see a faction flag with rep indicator, a settlement flag with rep indicator, or both. That'll tell you what kind of contracts you can get there.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Is there an easy, visual way to tell whether a town only has noble faction quests? Is it only the fortresses that are like that?

Yes, the faction only contracts have wooden keep, stronghold and citadel. So castles. They have only faction contracts and early that mean you do not get any work there.

Afaik caravan runs are completely up to luck... You just were really unlucky and a lot of enemy groups were roaming around your route simultaneously. It could even be that they were chasing each other when your caravan passed by..
Yeah, I wouldn't pick caravan runs on ironman (if given a choice). You can get super lucky (I got 500 gold for free, once, basically) or face one battle after the next.
I was doing long caravan run and get dogpilled by bandits.
34! In one battle. Thank RNG gods most of them were thugs but still... Lost one guy and three others were close to death(2HP) also 3 caravan guards who were arrow magnets.
Then get attacked by Orc warriors. So I run and leave 3 donkeys and last caravan hand behind me. Sorry guys.

You can see it working in battle, both as a buff icon and a stats buff if you open the character sheet. Wierded me out too at first, it's prolly cause it gets impacted by fatigue.

Yep it work. ANd its pretty good especially early when you have no heavy armors or stuff.
On ~70 Initiative you get 10 bonus to MD and RD on first turn. It is connected with your current Initiative so if you expand fatigue your bonus decrease, when you rest or recover its come back.
So its great for cheap mercs and archers. It work wonders early especially connected with shield. But for whatever reason devs decide not to shown bonus outside combat(like with Nimble for example).

Also I am doing another codex ironman expert run that I put on YT. NO NAMING as its bigger problem s I can not just throw people away as I normal do and it burden heavy on my soul.
Some have some commentary some do not.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZYS2stUR2VtEDMreC-jVKRS3P2dEN8hf

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Clocked 22 hours on normal/veteran and I'm getting burnt out. The game feels repetitive and barebones as fuck to me.

Idk, guess imma restart on ironman and see where that takes me, because the lure of savescumming is 2strong for me, even though I realise it's not really the way it's meant to be played.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
I really want to be over the moon with this game but I am getting slowly pushed into meh and "good for what it is" territory. It is nice to have a tool-tip saying "losing is fun" but that actually requires wise design decisions to make work. It was fun at first but now I feel like I am grasping in the dark for some First Order Optimal Strategy and after that it is smooth sailing relatively. It feels like most battles turn around those 60% chance to hit strikes in the first and second turn. Hard West decidedly spoiled me in this regard but I know not every game can be semi-deterministic. That being said, having for 4-5 guys wail on a single direwolf and mostly missing then having the wolfie do 3 attacks that kill 2 people makes me just want to take a break.

Also it feels like more of a framework than a full experience which means there is plenty of room for expansions but 27 euros breh. I still like it though but I am at the 15 hour mark and I don't know if I will get to the 40 hour mark.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
The game feels repetitive and barebones as fuck to me.
The game is bare bones, no doubt about it.
There is very well-designed combat, but there is nothing except that.
And the combat is not exactly very varied (no magic, no tech, just simple melee and ranged weapons and some different attacks).

I can fully understand people that get fed up with it quickly, as it is repetitive (by design, IMO).
Which is why I play maybe an hour or two of it in a session, never more, then come back the next day (or wait one more).

But honestly, I rather have more games that are as well designed as this, even if it does not offer much variety than a game like Ass Creed which has shit tons of things to do - but all of it sucks.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
A long while back, I test ran some of the early, early stuff of Battle Brothers. The way it worked then (and presumably does now) is that each enemy 'settlement' has a set score of resources. It uses these resources to send out parties to go raid for even more resources. Ever been approaching a location and seen a party of enemies suddenly leave from it? That's what this is. When they raid -- say, a mine or a caravan -- they take resources and return them to the location. If the location gets a certain amount of resources, it can shoot out some 'settlers' which is basically a large party which settles itself in a new spot.

Amusingly, in the early builds the locations used to spawn literally right next to the roads. So I witnessed a crossroad of commerce getting pillaged every single second by a raider warcamp on the side of the road. And then two warcamps and then three. By like day two I'd try and fight the raiders and they already had a full army's worth of gear.

Yes, I think that was mentioned as one of their features of the "living" world. It's probably really hard to balance and you need some kind caps to prevent the world from spiraling out of control.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom