Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

StarCraft: Remastered

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Diablo 2 next... DO EEEEEEET BLIZZARD

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
There will be no "next". This effort took 18 months of work. They only did it because Starcraft 2 damaged the SC e-sport community.

NU BLIZZARD never cared about Diablo or Warcraft fans, and never will.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
There will be no "next". This effort took 18 months of work. They only did it because Starcraft 2 damaged the SC e-sport community.

if this was true they would not make diablo 3

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Holy crap... they are actually talking about chat channels and how important they are.

:desu:

I have never actually played SC but I'm tempted to buy this one.

Last edited:
If HD can still play with regular Starcraft that means there has to be 100% parity in everything down to the minutiae of game mechanics, otherwise you'd desync. So that's good news.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

if this was true they would not make diablo 3

Actually, this is precisely why they made Diablo 3.

Don't worry bro, money is more important than fan service, so if SC HD sells a lot for a fraction of the cost that is to 'remaster' it, d2 and most likely wc3 will follow.

and making them compatible with the old versions for online play is a good decision by blizzard, so maybe some ounces of common sense are still there.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I'm quite confident that they will make both War 3 and D2 (perhaps even War2), they even semi-confirmed it, in the video interview I linked a few posts back. Once Star is done, they will look at the other classics. I mean why wouldn't they?

Blizz has perhaps one of the biggest fanbases of gaming, a huuuge fucking fanbase out there, who would drop whatever modern shitter game they're playing, and go back to playing the old classics in a heartbeat.

Look at the PS:T vs T:TTON debacle. People are fed up with the modern renditions and go back to know they love, the classics.

No, I say it's only a matter of time. Also, they were actively looking for engineers to restore classics, and war3/d2 was specifically mentioned AFAIK. It was listed on the blizzard jobs posting like 1.5 years back.. so.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
3x more work than Starcraft due to far richer pool of unique graphics data, no enduring fanbase of the franchise... I would sacrifice my own grandma's doctor's children for Diablo2 HD, but it's not going to happen.

grudgebringer

3x more work than Starcraft due to far richer pool of unique graphics data, no enduring fanbase of the franchise... I would sacrifice my own grandma's doctor's children for Diablo2 HD, but it's not going to happen.

Saving this for future references.

ArchAngel

Arcane
No enduring fanbase? Are you on drugs? On Twitch Diablo 2 usually has more viewers than Diablo 3 and mods for D2 are still being worked on and people are playing them. And new seasons of D2 are still happening and people coming back to play them.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

No enduring fanbase? Are you on drugs? On Twitch Diablo 2 usually has more viewers than Diablo 3 and mods for D2 are still being worked on and people are playing them. And new seasons of D2 are still happening and people coming back to play them.

I just went on Twitch. I see Diablo 3 stream at 130 viewers, and Diablo 2 at 10. SC:Brood War stream has 1000 viewers.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I just went on Twitch. I see Diablo 3 stream at 130 viewers, and Diablo 2 at 10. SC:Brood War stream has 1000 viewers.
Wrong time now. EU is at work and USA is sleeping. And KR is at prime time. Check back in 8 hours.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

I believe you are mistaken, friend. The Diablo franchise has a huge fanbase following.

People are displeased with Diablo 3 and has been for a long time. Diablo 2 is still very much alive and well, so making a HD remaster would only enforce this.

Also, take into account the rise in popularity of games like Path of Exile and Grim Dawn, both games that have HEAVY and pronounced similarities and gameplay to Diablo 2. It all goes to show, that there is an apparant longing and need for games that mirror diablo 2 (both games are close in similarity to diablo 2, and path of exile was directly made to echo the good days of Diablo 2).

So re-making the game that every other ARPG in the genre tries to copy, definitely hold merit, and especially to Blizzard, not only from a economical standpoint.

People would jump at a Diablo 2 HD remaster faster than a whore in shanghai or a fat codexer at burger king.. (I know I would, too) so you get the analogies.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Also, take into account the rise in popularity of games like Path of Exile and Grim Dawn,.

I don't know what it is about Diablo 2 but it's still more fun to play than those games.

It must be the same thing as with Starcraft, the gameplay is just done perfect, the early Blizzard developer knew what they were doing and it showed.

And running on hardest difficulty is actualy hard, and you die pretty often to boss battles making that epic loot drop even more satisfying

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I firmly believe this was related to Blizzard rescuing their e-sports, and relatively small size of SC graphics data. Blizzard is not who they used to be. They're a cynical, cynical company now.

But even if Diablo 2 was remastered, if it took 18 months to remaster Starcraft, the D2 remaster will come out well into Trump's second term.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I firmly believe this was related to Blizzard rescuing their e-sports, and relatively small size of SC graphics data. Blizzard is not who they used to be. They're a cynical, cynical company now.

But even if Diablo 2 was remastered, if it took 18 months to remaster Starcraft, the D2 remaster will come out well into Trump's second term.

Starcraft remaster took them 12-13 months, not 18. They specifically state in the interview from yesterday, that they have been going for 12 months now, and the game looks ready to ship. I doubt there's alot more dev time on it before soon summer release.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Starcraft remaster took them 12-13 months, not 18. They specifically state in the interview from yesterday, that they have been going for 12 months now, and the game looks ready to ship. I doubt there's alot more dev time on it before soon summer release.
I doubt they are releasing in summer because it is ready NOW. They would release NOW in that case. So it will be closer to 18 months by release.

Also time to do BW remaster means nothing for D2 Remaster. Neither D2 takes same amount of work, neither we know how many people would be working on D2 Remaster, neither we know the additional changes they might have for D2 remaster.

The difference between remastering D2 and BW is that Brood War exists in a genre where its only legitimate competitors are other Blizzard games, so it's basically guaranteed money from most of the genre's fanbase. Diablo 2 has Path of Exile to compete with (which is free with microtransactions) and that game's swallowed a lot of D2's hardcore fanbase that would still be playing it if there wasn't PoE as an alternative. I think the remaster might have to do more than just pretty up the assets and expand resolutions. Obviously the gameplay should be left as is, but throwing in a few new rune words and maybe even restoring any cut content that might be on a hard drive somewhere in Blizzard's basement wouldn't hurt it when it comes to getting those people who migrated to PoE more excited for it and willing to pay $30 for a new game.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The difference between remastering D2 and BW is that Brood War exists in a genre where its only legitimate competitors are other Blizzard games, so it's basically guaranteed money from most of the genre's fanbase. Diablo 2 has Path of Exile to compete with (which is free with microtransactions) and that game's swallowed a lot of D2's hardcore fanbase that would still be playing it if there wasn't PoE as an alternative. I think the remaster might have to do more than just pretty up the assets and expand resolutions. Obviously the gameplay should be left as is, but throwing in a few new rune words and maybe even restoring any cut content that might be on a hard drive somewhere in Blizzard's basement wouldn't hurt it when it comes to getting those people who migrated to PoE more excited for it and willing to pay $30 for a new game.
From what I seen many of the PoE players play D2 between PoE seasons or when they get fed up with PoE.

Diablo 2 would need real gameplay improvements (or maybe modding improvements and let the modders do gameplay improvements) to draw a big crowd IMO. As I mentioned earlier unlike SCBW I think Blizzard are quite capable of doing it.

D3 players
Okay, so that's 3 sales... Who's next?

real gameplay improvements
Apart from stealing some stuff from Path Of Exile I don't really know what they'd change in its gameplay, and if it means stealing from Path of Exile I'm not sure I'd really want this either. The only things that really come to mind are having more keys to have abilities actively bound to (obviously leaving paladin auras capped at 1) and being able to feed your hirelings potions from your belt via a hotkey rather than having to actually drag them manually.

As far as modding support goes though I think this is pretty much always a positive for any game no matter what. Except when somebody inevitably comes along and makes H-Diablo.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I never thought I would say this, but I hope Blizzard adds new features to the campaign, as opposed to a 1:1 remaster. Specifically, I would love it if Blizzard could add difficulty settings to the campaign (probably easier said than done). The early Terran and Protoss campaign missions would be great with a little more difficulty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom