Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News BattleTech Kickstarter Update #33: Introducing the Main Characters, Beta in Q1 2017

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yeah, the very clear 2-3 part "heritage/ancestry" mix on each side character is a bit weird but it isn't something that affects the actual systems of the game at all. Nor does it really change the BT world, unless you really were stupid enough to think that all 300+ planets belonging to the Lyran Commonwealth were ALL exactly Germany in SPACE because the House Steiner ruled it. Or that all planets in Federated Suns were exactly like American in SPACE because House Davion was ruling it? This is the sort of embarrassing pandering like we got with Beamdog but it's also the same size/scope of it. That Baldur's Gate interquel wasn't made a worse (or a better) game because you had a tranny shopkeeper who unnaturally proclaims that they are a tranny. Battletech is not going to be a worse (or a better) game because side characters represent a rainbow of ethnicities.

Yeah, the barista shoving a spoon up his a arse to scoop up some fresh feces and then mixing it into your coffee before serving it is a bit weird but it ain't something that affects the actual coffee brewing process at all. Nor does it really change the taste of the coffee, unless you really were stupid enough to think that your coffee beans never have had trace amounts of faeces mixed in them.

Your morning coffee is not going to be a worse (or better) coffee because it has a tiny spoonful of shit in it.

Weasel
It is in a death spiral.

Re: I think the problem is...
Azrael the cat said:
I think it all comes down to that summer 5 years ago - you know the one I'm talking about don't you folks? The OBVIOUS one? I'm sure it stands out in your mind like it does in mine. I'm talking about that time when the Codex went an entire TWO WEEKS without some git posting an inane message about the Codex dying. It was such a shock that it gave all the codex old-timers coronaries, and left us munchkins to carry on...
This site has been around for four or five years now, and at least 75% of that time, there's been the obligatory, "Oh no! The Codex is dying!" posts. I mean at the VERY least, 75%. It probably started two or three days after the site went public, but I don't remember that far back. In fact, this site was probably doomed before Calis opened up the text editor to write the first bit of PHP script for this place.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Death spiral

It is in a death spiral. You walk into one thread and it is more or less the same as any other thread in any other forum subsection. Marginal interest in game mechanics and role playing and high interest in the personalities and values of developers and other posters.

You should take off your librul glasses before waking into threads.

I doubt removing ideological glasses is going to turn the insecure edge lords who are above all video games and RPGs into insightful posters.

Few threads have ever so yearned not to be bumped

Agree. Let this shit rest. I joined here from someone posting about "drama" on shoutbox.

If you want to complain about the Codex nazis, do it on the appropriate forum: Politics Site Feedback

I'm not making a complaint. I was explaining to the new poster that he needs to temper his expectations of what he is going to get from participation in the message boards.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Yeah, the barista shoving a spoon up his a arse to scoop up some fresh feces and then mixing it into your coffee before serving it is a bit weird but it ain't something that affects the actual coffee brewing process at all. Nor does it really change the taste of the coffee, unless you really were stupid enough to think that your coffee beans never have had trace amounts of faeces mixed in them.

Your morning coffee is not going to be a worse (or better) coffee because it has a tiny spoonful of shit in it.
You don't even believe that yourself Haba, you're not a clueless retard.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
You don't even believe that yourself Haba, you're not a clueless retard.

Of course not, I have some common sense. Shit doesn't belong in coffee! Just like "current year" diversity pandering does not belong in a Sci-Fi game set in thousands of years in the future. Especially in a game with well established lore.

Rational human being will object to shit being added in their coffee, just as they should object to this sort of irredeemably stupid and childish diversity point farming attempt. Yet for some reason in this particular case some people will feel obligated to defend the indefensible. And we don't see developers fixing up their brainfart.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of stupid is for good men to do nothing.

I thought this thread was about a videogame, but apparently I'm meant to feel threatened because I'm white and a video game might have characters of different races to allow other people to role play? This place is becoming a fucking shit hole. Talk about the goddamn game. If it's unrealistic there be asians and brown people then perhaps it's not set in Buttfuck Kansas.

Codex has been in a bit of a death spiral for the past year or two. Used to be every thread was richly ornamented with RPG knowledge, discussions about mechanics and mods, developer/modder bios, etc. Now it seems like every thread is 2/3 of posters railing about SJWs and 1/3 saying some variation of, "its not so bad."

Can't say I blame Bubbles for manufacturing a drama out of nothing so he could stop posting from the moral high ground.

The newspost isn't about the game's mechanics though, but about the characters. Every newspost containing purely a couple of new screenshots similarly will involve half of the posters talking about the screenshots and the other half complaining about the decline of the codex which used to involve in depth mechanics discussions and now only graphix whoring.

Bigger issue is probably developers never talking about mechanics and thus forcing poor Inf to always post inane newsposts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just like "current year" diversity pandering does not belong in a Sci-Fi game set in thousands of years in the future. Especially in a game with well established lore.
Look now, I am as liberal as Irenaeus is white, but I am still not too big on this diverse backgrounds approach because it feels contrived and hamfisted. It's one thing to implement social issues in a crpg - which if done, must be done subtly, without breaking the mood or the flow of the story - and another to force feed your personal agenda. I think Arcanum is a good example of the former, and Beamdog's game a notorious case of the latter attitude, respectively. As I said, I don't care what the backgrounds of the npcs in Battletech are per se, but it feels odd that everyone should be different from another, no shared backgrounds or anything.

"Why yes, didn't you know? I am a vegan, said Katrina Steiner and helped herself to some more tofurkey."

hivemind

Thinking of donating to tis project but not sure how LGBTQQI+ supportive the dev team is

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom