Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Boxart. Name your favourite.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lol, saw that and thought "wtf is this weeb shit?". Then I noticed the m&m title.

They were made by Akihiro Yamada who made more contributions to the gaming world as artist, plus many manga works. He was also a character designer in Wizardry I and II, and he later became Graphic Director in Wizardry III and IV - the separate versions for TurboGrafx. His portfolio is enormous.

26efb9dfb48a60a5189622cfcf886336.jpg

9d65501d25b4e8cc43accc5a6aa1a91f.jpg

b9df2b4da37bf2a61cb1ad1e0f14d624.jpg

347a4b65c7e34dfe2aaf6ae292bba995.jpg

6d2c57a8a46240e0817ed52476e65107.jpg

7268012674b7827a52f63b77dc9a1e62.jpg

e11ef558395a4303b3ce969e6316a9c4.jpg

Rabbid

Savant
Thanks for the info. Unique artworks for sure (given the origin). Still largely weeb though.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I dont think Biz was yet featured in this thread, if he was, sorry for doubleposting, but his work lasts a second serving.

95788-gods-amiga-front-cover.jpg

5-Speedball_2-_Brutal_Deluxe_Amiga.jpg

Delbaeth

Learned
More moe games
miraclewarriorsj.jpg

199561-first-queen-ii-sabaku-no-joo-pc-98-front-cover.jpg

125001110.jpg

155007193.jpg

Lol grognards!™
155005391.jpg

Just for the subtitle:
155006853.jpg

Any monkey can come into power
Take that Nobunaga's ambition!

Delbaeth

Learned
I don't think so, the First Queen series debuted around 3 decades, and is a RTS-RPG.

Although maybe Two Worlds II took inspiration from it? Didn't try the Two Series, sorry.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
The most awesome and misleading box art goes to....

robinsons_requiem_d7.jpg

Disclaimer: Have never played it myself but according to wiki the boxart seems to fit the game somewhat?

- Story: The spacecraft of Officer Trepliev, a member of the fictional Alien World Exploration (AWE) department, is sabotaged to crash land on a prison planet called Zarathustra.

- Gameplay: The player has to explore and survive in a hostile alien environment, while using the game's systems to monitor the player character's health status, perform surgery and create makeshift tools.

I mean, that is a ship crashing in what appears to be a hostile (alien) environment :obviously:

I guess it's just a chore/bore to play while the boxart makes it look appear cool

Beastro

Arcane
The most awesome and misleading box art goes to....

robinsons_requiem_d7.jpg

Disclaimer: Have never played it myself but according to wiki the boxart seems to fit the game somewhat?

- Story: The spacecraft of Officer Trepliev, a member of the fictional Alien World Exploration (AWE) department, is sabotaged to crash land on a prison planet called Zarathustra.

- Gameplay: The player has to explore and survive in a hostile alien environment, while using the game's systems to monitor the player character's health status, perform surgery and create makeshift tools.

I mean, that is a ship crashing in what appears to be a hostile (alien) environment :obviously:

I guess it's just a chore/bore to play while the boxart makes it look appear cool

Take a look yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ_hZBW6glk

Beastro

Arcane
Still wouldn't say I would feel robber by the box though :troll:

It's got A werewolf, a T-rex, giant bugs and buffalo type animals that charge you along with some robots at the end.

That and the look of the planet gives me the impression it has more in common with adventure novels like King Solomon's Mines than it does with "a hostile alien environment"The ship too on the cover looks like an old 30s style rocket ship while the intro...

All of that gives you the impression that you're going into a game that's a mix of Buck Rogers and the above mentioned adventures games when it's not, at all.

I still love the hell out of the FMVs though.

Beastro

Arcane
Very stylized, and yet very accurate depiction of the game. Screenshots on the back let ya know it's a top down RTS:

herzog-zwei-usa-europe.png

I always loved this cover. Looked like the guy has a little, gimpy robot arm:

128483-metal-marines-snes-front-cover.jpg

This one looked like it just got sent out on its first mission and is it's death throws trying to balance its long arms while under fire:

2363963-snesmechwarrior-104427.jpg

Super lazy stock mil picture. Love the game though, best bargain bin game my bro bought and the good ones were damn rare, it's why its here:

maxresdefault.jpg

A-10 on it so I really fell for this game. Was good too. Only reason it's here is the ending goes from fucking up Saddam to realizing aliens are behind Gulf War 2.0 :D.

air-strike-patrol-usa.png

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Your images were Goldfist material (not that I can give them) until the "Plok" image. Way to kill a combo there. :)

So regular Brofist is all you get. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom