Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

Yes, SEO is a thing. It is also a thing that google can mark a site as 'fake news' or 'illegal content' or any number of other subjective tags to increase/lower its search ranking without actually making a special exemption in the algorithm. The efforts of big business to influence the last election cycle are well-documented, and not exactly new. To think that they would only intervene every 4 years is beyond naive.
Read my posts. I agreed with him that it was possible, but he has no proof of it.

Document everything, note that it's a bit odd, sure. But don't start screaming censorship until you've got something real to go on because it could all turn out to be nothing, make you look like a moron and be further used to pigeonhole people who complain about corporate conspiracies as tinfoil hat wearing idiots.

Case and point, claiming that google has a secret pay-to-play backdoor program (which they very well could have for big enough or well-connected enough companies), but using your friend receiving telemarketing calls that every business owner receives as proof. Not to be to unkind to the dude, but that's laughable.

I really don't want to get into this anymore but you are being a dumb cunt and attacking me and my friends.

My friend was not called he was visited by someone representing themselves as google offering to do the look inside tour of his building for money. They had all the google tags and gear, they were offering a google service that google provides and they offered to bump him up the listings for more money. Now I don't know that for sure because I heard it from one of my best friends and it's just his word, but i don't dispute his word. Because as I have stated before I have seen with my own eyes and worked in companies that are some third parties operating for some of the biggest in the world and they break the laws in Finance. Now to think a global firm like google wouldn't do that is just naive.

So now you call me laughable as well as a tin foil hatter and illegitimate, sorry I'm not going to accept that. Google changed their search, that happened. I don't need documentation to prove it to you, I'm not an undercover agent, I just noticed it and made an off hand comment and you expect me to provide court worthy evidence on the internet because you're butthurt you're beloved company is a fucking sham is laughable, everyone but you seems to know they rig their searches. Like I said I would have taken a screenshot as proof, if I expected such a sudden change. But the change was so suddenly unexpected which made it so notable.

As I said I don't give a damn what you believe but it happens all the time. Now I have been very tolerant to you in pretending to bow to your superior knowledge on the subject, but you honestly sound like a brainwashed shill who has no knowledge of anything other than working on hoovering servers inside a company office.

Oh it cant happen that's not legal!... Grow the fuck up Lambchop.

I've been happy to let this go and even let you misrepresent me but you are just posting such garbage now it needs to be checked. And I am right Google does rig searches for money and politics, it doesn't matter if you say they can't, they do.

I don't expect you to apologise now, but please do the moment you realise you were wrong.
Would you or your friend be interested in one of these fine bridges I am selling?

How many have you got:D ... I don't want that one with Mass Effect Andomeda on it though.

Yes, SEO is a thing. It is also a thing that google can mark a site as 'fake news' or 'illegal content' or any number of other subjective tags to increase/lower its search ranking without actually making a special exemption in the algorithm. The efforts of big business to influence the last election cycle are well-documented, and not exactly new. To think that they would only intervene every 4 years is beyond naive.
Read my posts. I agreed with him that it was possible, but he has no proof of it.

Document everything, note that it's a bit odd, sure. But don't start screaming censorship until you've got something real to go on because it could all turn out to be nothing, make you look like a moron and be further used to pigeonhole people who complain about corporate conspiracies as tinfoil hat wearing idiots.

Case and point, claiming that google has a secret pay-to-play backdoor program (which they very well could have for big enough or well-connected enough companies), but using your friend receiving telemarketing calls that every business owner receives as proof. Not to be to unkind to the dude, but that's laughable.

I really don't want to get into this anymore but you are being a dumb cunt and attacking me and my friends.

My friend was not called he was visited by someone representing themselves as google offering to do the look inside tour of his building for money. They had all the google tags and gear, they were offering a google service that google provides and they offered to bump him up the listings for more money. Now I don't know that for sure because I heard it from one of my best friends and it's just his word, but i don't dispute his word. Because as I have stated before I have seen with my own eyes and worked in companies that are some third parties operating for some of the biggest in the world and they break the laws in Finance. Now to think a global firm like google wouldn't do that is just naive.

So now you call me laughable as well as a tin foil hatter and illegitimate, sorry I'm not going to accept that. Google changed their search, that happened. I don't need documentation to prove it to you, I'm not an undercover agent, I just noticed it and made an off hand comment and you expect me to provide court worthy evidence on the internet because you're butthurt you're beloved company is a fucking sham is laughable, everyone but you seems to know they rig their searches. Like I said I would have taken a screenshot as proof, if I expected such a sudden change. But the change was so suddenly unexpected which made it so notable to me.

As I said I don't give a damn what you believe but it happens all the time. Now I have been very tolerant to you in pretending to bow to your superior knowledge on the subject, but you honestly sound like a brainwashed shill who has no knowledge of anything other than working on hoovering servers inside a company office.

I've been happy to let this go and even let you misrepresent me but you are just posting such garbage now it needs to be checked. And I am right Google does rig searches for money and politics, it doesn't matter if you say they can't, they do.

I don't expect you to apologise now, but please do the moment you realise you were wrong.
Sorry but, how come Wikileaks or something doesn't have anything about this?

Because wikileaks can't be assed with google search results for a shitty video game. I don't even understand why it's such a testy subject, I assumed it was a known fact google fiddled their searches, I only acted meek and let it drop because people were acting butthurt about me saying it, to move the board along. Look it doesn't matter what they say they can do or even what they are allowed to do all that matters is what they do. And google at the minute can wipe out anything they want on the searches and youtube with a nod from upstairs.

Here's a video from the last election, it's from Fox but you can try it out yourself...

Last edited:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm getting a bit perplexed as to why some people think there's a need to analyze Mass Effect 1 like this. There isn't really much about that one that deserves such ardent discussion imo... You must have some kind of ulterior reason to try and try to talk positively about the game so people can understand it's "good".

Basically all I think of the writing in ME1 was that it served a purpose, it was good for what it was. It wasn't Beckett, but then if it was it would have ruined the game. It was just an enjoyable episode of the A-Team or an Action film written by people who tapped into the spirit and gave the audience what it wanted.

It wasn't groundbreaking but it served it's purpose and there were some really memorable parts to the game because it was just old cliches from movies or books made manifest for a game audience, so you felt a part of that.

There is no point in saying that the writing in ME1 was good or original, but nor was it bad, as it was fit for it's purpose.

I don't think there's any point in discussing it beyond that.

There is a point in discussing it because not everyone agrees with you.

If the purpose of ME1 writing was to bore people to death then it was a great success, seeing how writing was boring and bland just like its characters. It felt like a SF pulp writer trying to make a serious space opera and failing miserably in the process. Sure there were some good parts in there but overall the writing was just forgettable.

I'm getting a bit perplexed as to why some people think there's a need to analyze Mass Effect 1 like this. There isn't really much about that one that deserves such ardent discussion imo... You must have some kind of ulterior reason to try and try to talk positively about the game so people can understand it's "good".

Basically all I think of the writing in ME1 was that it served a purpose, it was good for what it was. It wasn't Beckett, but then if it was it would have ruined the game. It was just an enjoyable episode of the A-Team or an Action film written by people who tapped into the spirit and gave the audience what it wanted.

It wasn't groundbreaking but it served it's purpose and there were some really memorable parts to the game because it was just old cliches from movies or books made manifest for a game audience, so you felt a part of that.

There is no point in saying that the writing in ME1 was good or original, but nor was it bad, as it was fit for it's purpose.

If the purpose of ME1 writing was to bore people to death then it was a great success, seeing how writing was boring and bland just like its characters. It felt like a SF pulp writer trying to make a serious space opera and failing miserably in the process. Sure there were some good parts in there but overall the writing was just forgettable.

I was just saying there is no point in me discussing it any further.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

:butthurt:

I'm "attacking" you and your friends? Dude, I'm just asking you for more proof that "derp derp, my friend said google said". I don't even know your friends, so I'm hardly attacking them either.
My friend was not called he was visited by someone representing themselves as google offering to do the look inside tour of his building for money.
Ooooh, I get it now...
They had all the google tags and gear, they were offering a google service that google provides and they offered to bump him up the listings for more money.
:deathclaw:

This is who does the indoor tour maps, dude:

https://www.google.com/streetview/hire/
HIRE A TRUSTED PRO TO BOOST YOUR VISIBILITY
Choosing the right restaurant, cafe or hotel is often tough. Build trust with a high-quality virtual tour that lets people experience your location before they arrive. These immersive, virtual experiences inspire greater confidence among prospective guests and patrons. A trusted professional for hire can help you more easily create and publish your virtual tour.
n4IpvqF.png

Now take a look at those email addresses (@gmail.com ffs why) and tell me if they look like actual Google employees, or just the sort of fly-by-night SEO hacks that will march in with their little homemade Google badge and "Trusted Partner" certification, 360 camera etc and upsell you on their SEO services (that are 99% likely to be garbage)?

So now you call me laughable as well as a tin foil hatter and illegitimate, sorry I'm not going to accept that.
Look at what I just posted. One of us knows what he's talking about and it isn't you. Yes, you look laughable and illegitimate when you go all out without any real proof.
Google changed their search, that happened. I don't need documentation to prove it to you, I'm not an undercover agent, I just noticed it and made an off hand comment and you expect me to provide court worthy evidence
No, I don't. Making an off-hand comment is what I did when I brought up that this isn't provable at this point. You arguing with me on it page after page makes it less of an off-and comment and more of a repeated claim.
From my first post on this subject I acknowledged it was possible. I simply added the caveat that it wasn't proof and that it could just as easily have been caused by other things. Pls stuff the "niave lambchop" strawman up your strawman hole, k thx.
I've been happy to let this go and even let you misrepresent me but you are just posting such garbage now it needs to be checked.
I've been happy to go easy on you, but if you're gonna get all butthurt and call me a cunt, it's seriuz biznez. :M
And I am right Google does rig searches for money and politics, it doesn't matter if you say they can't, they do.
Again, possible. But there's a more reasonable way to go about this than taking a few vague suppositions and screaming "PIZZAGATE IS REAL" from the rooftops.
:shredder:

Last edited by a moderator:

Lhynn

Arcane

Except it wasnt boring, it didnt fail and you have been unable to argue otherwise other than with anecdotal evidence. It wasnt forgettable either, some of it sure, its a 60+ hours rpg, but a lot of it has stuck with the people that played it years after.

Last edited:
:butthurt:

I'm "attacking" you and your friends? Dude, I'm just asking you for more proof that "derp derp, my friend said google said". I don't even know your friends, so I'm hardly attacking them either.
My friend was not called he was visited by someone representing themselves as google offering to do the look inside tour of his building for money.
Ooooh, I get it now...
They had all the google tags and gear, they were offering a google service that google provides and they offered to bump him up the listings for more money.

This is who does the indoor tour maps, dude:

https://www.google.com/streetview/hire/
HIRE A TRUSTED PRO TO BOOST YOUR VISIBILITY
Choosing the right restaurant, cafe or hotel is often tough. Build trust with a high-quality virtual tour that lets people experience your location before they arrive. These immersive, virtual experiences inspire greater confidence among prospective guests and patrons. A trusted professional for hire can help you more easily create and publish your virtual tour.
n4IpvqF.png

Now take a look at those email addresses (@gmail.com ffs why) and tell me if they look like actual Google employees, or just the sort of fly-by-night SEO hacks that will march in with their little homemade Google badge and "Trusted Partner" certification, 360 camera etc and upsell you on their SEO services (that are 99% likely to be garbage)?

So now you call me laughable as well as a tin foil hatter and illegitimate, sorry I'm not going to accept that.
Look at what I just posed. One of us knows what he's talking about and it isn't you. Yes, you look laughable and illegitimate when you go all out without any real proof. It's also how you look when you insist
Google changed their search, that happened. I don't need documentation to prove it to you, I'm not an undercover agent, I just noticed it and made an off hand comment and you expect me to provide court worthy evidence
No, I don't. Making an off-hand comment is what I did when I brought up that this isn't provable at this point. You arguing with me on it page after page makes it less of an off-and comment and more of a repeated claim.
From my first post on this subject, I acknowledged it was possible. I simply added the caveat that it wasn't proof and that it could just as easily have been caused by other things. Pls stuff the "niave lambchop" strawman up your strawman hole, k thx.
I've been happy to let this go and even let you misrepresent me but you are just posting such garbage now it needs to be checked.
I've been happy to go easy on you, but if you're gonna get all butthurt and call me a cunt, it's seriuz biznez. :M
And I am right Google does rig searches for money and politics, it doesn't matter if you say they can't, they do.
Again, possible. But there's a more reasonable way to go about this than taking a few vague suppositions and screaming "PIZZAGATE IS REAL" from the rooftops.
:shredder:

I'd say the same for you after you you see the above screenshot.

I'd rather not go into it anymore and I apologise truly for calling you a cunt, which I didn't think I did, but I see that i did, so I do apologise, though if you look it was in lower case so was on the same scale as a twat or a shit:D....

...Anyway I posted my feelings and you've posted yours, I still have my beliefs and you still have yours I can see.

So I'll leave it at that and we can get on with the thread and in the course of time either you or I will realise they were wrong and be good enough to apologise to the other.

It's not an ideal situation I'd admit, but you are making an issue and calling me a fantasist and demanding court ready proof of something I said by the way about a google search, which I know happened. Now I don't care where you stand on that and I for the life of me can't see why you're so ready to come out guns blazing and defend google over it. Now to me it is such a small stupid argument it should be forgotten, you don't believe me and I don't understand why you wouldn't.

We are not going to persuade each other and nobody else on the thread gives a damn, so whats the point as I honestly believe in the passage of time you will come around to share my opinion, whilst you honestly believe I am wrong and if I am I will admit it and make a point to apologise to you.

So I'll call it quits again, it'd be a damn shame to get personal and fall out over a google search of a shit game.

Except it wasnt boring, it didnt fail and you have been unable to argue otherwise other than with anecdotal evidence. It wasnt forgettable either, some of it sure, its a 60+ hours rpg, but a lot of me has stuck with the people that played it years after.

Didn't you get the memo?... You're not allowed to enjoy it because it wasn't written by Tom Clancy.

i enjoyed the first cast. nothing groundbreaking and i concede liara was a snoozefest, but others were at least serviceable. they did their job, even if possible stereotypes. wrex was this bitter, old killer who mostly doesn't give a fuck anymore and i loved him, tali has some alien stories to tell, mostly useful for worldbuilding like the woman who explained the military and the guy biotics. to me worldbuilding can be as important as a decent plot.
actually i could enjoy an interesting world without a plot but i hardly see the other way around.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I enjoyed being an over the top racist and that one of my two romance options was even more of a racist than me.

Highpoint of CRPG romances was having Ashely kill Wrex. :M

J1M

Arcane
I hate to ask as I didn't play ME3, but is this poster implying that having sex with someone who has had a drink rape?

It's like this in ME3; there's a party with the Normandy crew in the Citadel DLC and if you don't romance anyone in the game and play as female Shep, you will wake up in bed with the Prothean crewmember. It's implied you had sex (somehow?) and there are some comments of regret and no memory due to inebriation mentioned.

This happened in my playthrough of ME3, and I confeess, it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Not because of rape implications or anything like that, which may or may not be read into that scene - but because I didn't ever acknowledge the the fucking faggotry that is Bioware's romance shit in any of the games, and yet they still found a way to smear it in my face. If only for a short scene.

HEY EVERYONE MUST ROMANCE SOMEONE IN OUR LITTLE FAGGOT FEST.

I had no idea you were a rape survivor.

agris

Arcane
Patron
It seems like the animations are making them get off the hook a bit.

This is something that happens with a lot of games. Criticism of the lowest common denominator. Deus Ex: Human Revolution's big problem was "boss battles", NWN2 sucked because of "the camera" and Dragon Age 2 was bad because "area reuse". As if those games would have been perfect otherwise and they didn't have plenty of other issues.

It's something the Codex should always be on guard against.
Remind us of it in newsposts.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

While I think this is accurate, I think it understates the achievement of the setting design/story.

This. Good or bad is meaningless without a reference point. Good or bad compared to what? The achievement of Mass Effect was to rise above the numbing standard of the lowest common denominator videogame writing which was always trying to appeal to both the 13 and 30 year olds - and inevitably ended up being appealing only to the former (plus manchildren). As fun as my playthrough of Kotor was I would never say Kotor is a grand space opera. More like a young adult fantasy in space.

Mass Effect is the first true videogame space opera with all the bells and whistles. Compared to the genre elite (Reynolds, Hamilton) it's still kindda humdrum ofc but at least there was an ambition. Mass Effect is like the only kid in the retarded children asylum who said "imma build a rocket like them rockets in star wars" and then goes and puts four planks together with an old chair in the middle. While other kids just sit around smearing their own feces over their faces.

(And then someone from Codex comes and screams in his face "you're shit you hear, von Braun was much better than you!!1!1".....Well, asperger is tough.)

J1M

Arcane

Personally, I think it's more likely someone at google with access to the algorithm is a furry that didn't like people shitting on this andromeda game. Google has plenty of money. They are more likely to play dirty for a political agenda than for dollars.

DeepOcean

Arcane

While I think this is accurate, I think it understates the achievement of the setting design/story.

This. Good or bad is meaningless without a reference point. Good or bad compared to what? The achievement of Mass Effect was to rise above the numbing standard of the lowest common denominator videogame writing which was always trying to appeal to both the 13 and 30 year olds - and inevitably ended up being appealing only to the former (plus manchildren). As fun as my playthrough of Kotor was I would never say Kotor is a grand space opera. More like a young adult fantasy in space.

Mass Effect is the first true videogame space opera with all the bells and whistles. Compared to the genre elite (Reynolds, Hamilton) it's still kindda humdrum ofc but at least there was an ambition. Mass Effect is like the only kid in the retarded children asylum who said "imma build a rocket like them rockets in star wars" and then goes and puts four planks together with an old chair in the middle. While other kids just sit around smearing their own feces over their faces.

(And then someone from Codex comes and screams in his face "you're shit you hear, von Braun was much better than you!!1!1".....Well, asperger is tough.)
Wot? Mass Effect 2 and 3 have pants on their head major plots, they aren't good even for genre fiction. Using you analogy, Bioware wouldn't be the kid making the rocket but that boy writing his name on feces and dressed like a girl. Hey, at least he knows how to write... something... it just needs to use a better material for it.

J1M

Arcane
I'd rather not go into it anymore and I apologise truly for calling you a cunt, which I didn't think I did, but I see that i did, so I do apologise, though if you look it was in lower case so was on the same scale as a twat or a shit:D....

...Anyway I posted my feelings and you've posted yours, I still have my beliefs and you still have yours I can see.

So I'll leave it at that and we can get on with the thread and in the course of time either you or I will realise they were wrong and be good enough to apologise to the other.

It's not an ideal situation I'd admit, but you are making an issue and calling me a fantasist and demanding court ready proof of something I said by the way about a google search, which I know happened. Now I don't care where you stand on that and I for the life of me can't see why you're so ready to come out guns blazing and defend google over it. Now to me it is such a small stupid argument it should be forgotten, you don't believe me and I don't understand why you wouldn't.

We are not going to persuade each other and nobody else on the thread gives a damn, so whats the point as I honestly believe in the passage of time you will come around to share my opinion, whilst you honestly believe I am wrong and if I am I will admit it and make a point to apologise to you.

So I'll call it quits again, it'd be a damn shame to get personal and fall out over a google search of a shit game.
TLDR. He's a cunt, don't apologize for being right.

Lhynn

Arcane
Wot? Mass Effect 2 and 3 have pants on their head major plots, they aren't good even for genre fiction. Using you analogy, Bioware wouldn't be the kid making the rocket but that boy writing his name on feces and dressed like a girl. Hey, at least he knows how to write... something... it just needs to use a better material for it.
I think we are only discussing ME1. 2 and 3 basically threw away most of what gave the game some depth or made the setting believable or interesting.
ME2 did a few companions better than ME1, and it streamlined the combat a lot (which i disliked, because it dumbed it down and made every encounter predictable with the "oh look, so many chest high walls, i wonder what they are here for").

If permavirgin Female Shepard ends up sleeping with the Javik anyway, who does neckbeard Male Shepard goes for?

Like anyone played maleshep without nailing as many subordinates as possible.

Well, there are people weird enough to play as femshep and NOT become hot space lesbians with Liara, so I guess anything is possible.

pippin

I think we are only discussing ME1. 2 and 3 basically threw away most of what gave the game some depth or made the setting believable or interesting.
ME2 did a few companions better than ME1, and it streamlined the combat a lot (which i disliked, because it dumbed it down and made every encounter predictable with the "oh look, so many chest high walls, i wonder what they are here for").

I think that's the problem I have with your thoughts re: me1
it had almost zero depth or interesting things, and most of it was imo based around a 2001 easer egg i particularly liked, other than that, it was just another aaa game. No need to be so defensive about it.
I do think they made combat less clumsy with the sequels though, there's no second opinions about that because combat in me1 was a confusing mess no matter how you look at it, and if you think otherwise you're trying too hard. Mass Effect was born to be a rather dumb aaa sci franchise and in many ways it's ok.

Lhynn

Arcane
Mass Effect was born to be a rather dumb aaa sci franchise and in many ways it's ok.
Nope.

To clarify, it took itself seriously enough, and played it straight enough that this couldnt have possibly been the intent. Plus i dont think you can actually find that much comedy on it. The main plot was dead serious and so was most of the side content.
Dumb comedy elements came with the second game, that started laughing at the strange races, like the hanar, elcor, etc. The first one took itself seriously and went through pains to explain the why of things, like ther physiology of the races and how they managed to survive and thrive in their own worlds.

Last edited:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Jesus you people are autistic. ME1 was an entertaining console game released 10 years ago. Get over it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom