Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Path of Exile must be the first aRPG you've ever actually liked, because none of the greats had skill gems you could buy off players (the only way to get them in quantity at a moment's notice) and take for a test drive.
Exactly what I said two pages earlier. I disliked Diablo 2, liked D1 for the atmosphere. I'm not a grinder. But somehow I liked Divine Divinity and PoE, which manage to be engaging for me despite the grinding. And most skill gems can be found at vendors, they made them more accessible than before at least since a year ago when I played PoE.

There are disadvantages to the system, even if you prefer it. ... I'm not opposed to learning curves generally (I played EVE Online for six years, and I've been playing the X space sim series since 2006; I know a thing or two about learning curves), but the amount of research and game experience necessary to plan ANYTHING as a new player isn't small in PoE.
I agree. But the learning curve didn't feel as disadvantageous to me. I started without checking anything, and learned as I went along with a suboptimal build, learning the tree slowly, experimenting with skills and switching things as I discovered more with the same character. PoE allowed for that, despite the huge amount of things to learn to make an optimal build. Maybe I shouldn't have expected that in GD. But I still found PoE more flexible in that regard than GD.

In Grim Dawn, white loot is absolutely everywhere and I filter it out, no problem.
GD does have the advantage of a loot filter system that is customizable in-game, while you play. But PoE recently added a default one, and there are 3rd party ones you can get when you learn more / need to filter more. No need to get it all or see it all. PoE's small inventory forces you to only take what could be good, not to hoard all trash to vendor. But yeah the desire to get it all sometimes remains, even if it is a waste of time.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
There's no end in PoE, no storyline other than the typical very shallow aRPG story that's there for a bit of flavor; it's pure gameplay.
I don't know if you're aware, but FYI they recently added a (thin) story around the mapping and a final mapping boss, tying it all together. And this summer they're coming out with 6 new story acts, which makes me want to return to the game for another go.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
We can all look forward to six more acts of not picking up the loot that pops out of 90% of chests, barrels, and other interactables.

I think that's the crux of it for me, really. In GD, when you open a chest, you might not get a piece of loot that you need, and occasionally there's nothing in there but a white or two, but there's an excellent chance you'll get iron (currency), potions, partial gems, scrap (crafting material), a piece of gear you don't need but can sell or break down into crafting materials, and so on. One-shot chests are guaranteed to drop epics, and most of the rarer chests at least drop a rare or two.

While clearing the Mud Flats today I had a bunch of white shit pop out of virtually everything I opened, leaving a trail of useless shit like breadcrumbs back to the entrances.

Well, that's one thing they're good for! If you get lost, you can just keep an eye out for the trail of shit on the ground.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Once a Chaos Orb dropped when I overturned a random rock, and from that day on I've autistically began to search every type of loot container.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Well to be fair, I've noticed that they've added a bunch more shit, including some strongbox thingamabobbers that are guarded by packs of enemies with various affixes and that tend to drop magic/rare items, quality items, and possibly scrolls and an orb or two if you're lucky. There are also little side quests to introduce you to content they've added such as the masters, and some sort of Acts-spanning "puzzle rooms" thing.

I've found two of those strongboxes so far and I'm about to hit Merveil, the end boss of Act 1. I'd personally rather there be a larger quantity of good, but not quite as amazing lucrative chests spread out across an Act.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well to be fair, I've noticed that they've added a bunch more shit, including some strongbox thingamabobbers that are guarded by packs of enemies with various affixes and that tend to drop magic/rare items, quality items, and possibly scrolls and an orb or two if you're lucky. There are also little side quests to introduce you to content they've added such as the masters, and some sort of Acts-spanning "puzzle rooms" thing.

I've found two of those strongboxes so far and I'm about to hit Merveil, the end boss of Act 1. I'd personally rather there be a larger quantity of good, but not quite as amazing lucrative chests spread out across an Act.
Don't worry. Rarely you get something useful from these Strongboxes. Best ones are those that can drop Cards or quality high level skill gems.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
What an uninteresting trailer. Samey looking environments and some particle effect light shows. The base game already overstays its welcome, especially with the 3 difficulty cargo cult from Diablo, so not sure if more of the same is a good thing. Which was the worst things about Titan Quest as well...

Oh well, I've already gotten more than a fair share of fun from the game and I'll be getting the expansion for free(unlike the money-grab dlc), so nothing to lose I guess. I was just expecting to get a bit more excited.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Nah, at the moment GD has nothing to offer than PAth of Exile does not do better. I was once a big GD>PoE guy but I would be lying if I still claimed that. At best it is a game you install on your laptop and play when you don't have access to stable internet.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Nah, at the moment GD has nothing to offer than PAth of Exile does not do better. I was once a big GD>PoE guy but I would be lying if I still claimed that. At best it is a game you install on your laptop and play when you don't have access to stable internet.
It has ragdoll and gibs. Charging into a bunch of zombies and throwing them around in a mist of blood never gets old.

Bonus points if a flying zombie destroys some furniture or goes through a window.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Trailer didn't really sell me on anything. I see an aggressive use of old assets and one new mastery that doesn't fulfill anything that previous masteries couldn't do (as I have previously stated in this thread), disregarding the new spell effects which is just glitter for the easily amused. Maybe the Necromancer will have some new tricks, but I somehow doubt it. Crate really struggled with the old masteries so I can't see them doing anything amazing with these two new ones either.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Even with 150+ FPS, courtesy of my brand new rig, gameplay is inexplicably choppy. I'll only get the expansion if they fix the optimization issues.
Yes, it does not help that their engine is shit. Also skill are mostly boring. Rag doll is only thing that makes this game even remotely fun to play.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Finally a useful misadventure worth posting! Expansion will be released in october and will cost 18$. http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56129
Grim Misadventures are here and I dare say it is an exciting one.

I’m not even going to beat around the bush. TRAILER!

Thanks for posting.

Long time Titan Quest fan so came to Grim Dawn reluctantly but slowly began to see its superior build flexibility.

Done a bomber, pet build, reflect build, lightning build, vitality damage build and many others.

Normally never ever a day one purchase person but will probably make an exception in this case.

I think it's the supreme Diablo clone but it took me a while to appreciate what was going on under the surface.

Now, can someone tell me how to kill that Queen spider bitch found in the Hidden Path? Only thing I can think off is a pet build.

Hyperion

Arcane

Gonna disagree here. I like Grim Dawn a lot, but can't bring myself to play it anymore because everything looks the fucking same, and there's no resetting of leagues. But if you play a melee character, there is simply no way you can say PoE is better than GD. PoE's post-2.0 procedural generation makes the game 10 stale acts of a straight fucking line, which is just as shitty as GD's static map, but it just happens to have more varied tilesets now.

pre-1.3 PoE was definitely more fun and engaging than Grim Dawn, but the only thing it offers now is an economy*, and fresh leagues every 3 months.

* - Even this is a fucking joke now. Flippers, price-fixing, ignoring tells for cheap items because "it's less efficient" to stop autistically farming mindless hordes than sell something worth 4c or less have obliterated trading. Just make the fucking Auction House already, most people aren't worth interacting with. Especially not as long as 75% of the fastest builds available are the equivalent of playing the game through a fucking kaleidoscope, and make top-end computers explode with groups of largely than 3.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Gonna disagree here. I like Grim Dawn a lot, but can't bring myself to play it anymore because everything looks the fucking same, and there's no resetting of leagues.
PoE's post-2.0 procedural generation makes the game 10 stale acts of a straight fucking line, which is just as shitty as GD's static map, but it just happens to have more varied tilesets now.
I wouldn't call grim dawn's maps shitty and for me they are much better than awful random generation of poe. It basically has 2 presets: dungeon and open area and 90% of all generated maps have almost the same layout. I also haven't noticed that poe has greater variety in tilesets than grim dawn. For me it started feeling the same starting from act3, only in the last 3 acts I started noticing areas that used some different generation gimmicks. I think it's mostly subjective what you think is better: poe or gd, personally I dislike almost every single thing about poe but can see why some people can play it for much longer than gd. Anyway, at the moment PAth of Exile has nothing to offer than GD does not do better (except multiplayer, leagues and more randomness).
PoE can offer 10x more skills, more classes, more interesting builds, more interesting unique items. 3x better endgame.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah, probably a Day 1 purchase for me as well. Been playing a bunch of GD recently, got a Blademaster based around the 20% procs in dual blades, Ring of steel and Blade spirit. High lifesteal and Pierce/Cold damage. Face tanking everything in first two acts on Elite so far and it's fun.

If I've got half an hour to kill after work and my brain isn't up to much, GD is the perfect game. I got fed up of it last time when I was building a retribution/reflection tank based around a couple of epics I'd picked up on my first char, but that was my own fault for trying to play such a dull, passive build.

For me the lag only seems to come when looting and it's loading the tooltips, I get some jarring dips but I think I've just got used to it now. Would be nice if they could fix it though.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I've seen some people complain about choppiness, but I've never had this problem. Either that or I don't know what they mean by choppiness, but I think I'd have picked up on that if something was wrong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom