Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Motorsport Manager (PC)

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
How many seasons approximately?

Should I worry for long term questions at all or just go for immediate success then? If there is no point to play past lets say 5 seasons, I need not scout for a very young driver, do I?

Burning Bridges

Precisely, improvement that is marked + MAX is not carried over, only base improvement.
That explains why + MAX is always higher and make this something that is to be carried out at the end of a season.
The options are also shuffled, which means you can end up with pretty good or bad ones according to RNG.

Burning Bridges

http://steamcommunity.com/app/208140/discussions/0/828923952111385883

Ridiculous, now I can't buy the game because I already own it (free weekend) :lol:

I had to buy it as a gift and now I must wait until the free week runs expires to gift it to myself. This reeks of piss taking because the game was able to recognize I was only on a free weekend and did not allow me to download the free DLC.

I guess they speculate that people will buy it after the free week for full price, because they cannot buy if until the 50% offer will has expired. Not many people will admit that of course, and all Steam give out is a "we are sorry for the inconvenience". Because their programmers did not add the requires 2 lines though the problem should have been obvious to any 1st semester computer science student.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Precisely, improvement that is marked + MAX is not carried over, only base improvement.
That explains why + MAX is always higher and make this something that is to be carried out at the end of a season.
The options are also shuffled, which means you can end up with pretty good or bad ones according to RNG.

+ MAX means that you're getting better part overall, but you need to improve it's performance. If you're having two parts, one +10 and the 2nd one +30MAX, you'll end up with 110/110 or 100/130 performance part(I used 100 base as a reference). So it's still better to invest into "MAX" thing if you have time to improve that part because it will get carried over. Don't bother with reliability on those parts.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=800653340

Burning Bridges

Therefore after a couple of races the engine with the +max stat is actually more powerful (67) than the one that chose the base component (62). So for the majority of the season the +max component will give you a larger advantage than the +base, but in the long run it won't help as it won't carry over to the following season.

TIP: After the 1.1 update whatever the performance of your part at the end of the season, that is the number that will carry over to the original part for the following season's car. So go for +max stats rather than the +base stats as they will give you a larger gain in the long run.

Seems to be a lot of confusion, I think I will use only base for the important parts like engine and use the other stuff for other parts and then see how it works.

Also is there a point in using risky parts? Some improvements indicate a "low" risk, now I would like to know if this means I get disqualified sooner or later or if it's ok at the end of the season.

Riso

Arcane
When you get caught using a risky part you have to pay a fine, lose grid positions and the part will the confiscated. Severity affects likelihood of getting discovered and the more often you get caught the more places you are demoted.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
So, I got it on sale, having lots of frustrating fun. I can't seem to make much progress though, still racing in midfield in my 3rd season with 'Dragon Racing' (7th in the Euro at the beginning).

Do you have any tips in what to invest first?

Is every part development lost at the end of the season or does something carry over?

Are expensive drivers worth it?

SmartCheetah

Arcane
So, I got it on sale, having lots of frustrating fun. I can't seem to make much progress though, still racing in midfield in my 3rd season with 'Dragon Racing' (7th in the Euro at the beginning).

Do you have any tips in what to invest first?

Is every part development lost at the end of the season or does something carry over?

Are expensive drivers worth it?

You've got an article few posts above what carries over to the next season. Here:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=800653340

My tactics;
First of all, create 1-2 not-risky parts of the same kind and start using them when you hit 80+ reliability on both of your cars. Don't bother about creating better parts for the current season because you will only lose money on those. When every part knowledge is already on "great", create two best, risky parts of the same type that will carry over to another season and improve them so they can reach their max performance (don't bother about reliability as it will reset in next season anyway)
Don't worry about risky thing. It won't carry over as only performance stat carries over.
3wwoPmP.jpg

When GMA starts a vote, I'd save most points for votes concerning specialized parts. Your budget might be pretty low so you want lesser number of parts to develop. In my current season I need to develop only 3 parts, because engines and suspensions are specialized.

Also, don't be afraid on going to negative balance values (in Dragon Racing team you shouldn't have that problem because you've got a board manager who gives you additional funds. If playing your own team you constantly go negative at the end of the season)

Expensive drivers - Well, hard to say. In first few seasons there are few pearls for grabs. One of them would probably be Chica Balcazar. Makarova is another good example of great, pretty cheap driver who can easily top 3rd and 2nd division (Struggling in F1)
EyBsEsp.jpg

If you want bigger choice of drivers, make sure to improve your scouting facility (it doesn't cost that much and gives you much bigger options) and don't bother about having reserve driver. Most of the time he would be useless and you'd just sink money.

As for your main drivers - You might try going with one very good driver and a pay driver as a second fella. Personally I tend to go with two good drivers as I'm developing my cars simulateously every season. I tend to go for young drivers who can grow. Makarova, in example - can grow to 5 stars. Having fun in GT series now, but it's pretty similiar anyway (only, you have two division instead of three and some drivers differ)
mBIRgKr.jpg

What I'm not sure about:
Every season I see some new drivers in my scouting window and AFAIK those are randomly generated. Sometimes, few of them are really good so it's a pretty neat idea to check them out every end of the season. You might end up with a cheap pearl.

And one thing I forgot about. Marketability. If you want great sponsors and bigger money you might as well get one mediocre driver with 100% marketability just to boost it up. Helipad is pretty cheap and gives you access to bigger sponsors.

Last edited:

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Wow, that's really helpful, cheers mate!

:brodex:

Maybe I'll start over with my own team (I don't mind if it takes me a long time, as long as I know what to do to get better) and some mods, I've wasted so much money anyway.

Thanks!

Riso

Arcane
When GMA starts a vote, I'd save most points for votes concerning specialized parts. Your budget might be pretty low so you want lesser number of parts to develop.

Obviously, if you have a top three part in a category you want to keep that advantage. Else I'd try to get engines spec first.

First of all, create 1-2 not-risky parts of the same kind and start using them when you hit 80+ reliability on both of your cars.

Nah, drop them in as soon as they are better than the ones you already have. Wings can be a bit neglected for reliability because they are quickly replaced during races.
First few races you might pick up a few points by having a more reliable car than the rest though.

and don't bother about having reserve driver.

Find a pay driver and use him in practice for some money.

Makarova is another good example of great, pretty cheap driver who can easily top 3rd and 2nd division (Struggling in F1)

She won me several championships with Kitano. When the GT DLC was introduced she was made GT only and she has the potential to be the best driver for that. Well worth the money.

Burning Bridges

I have restarted because of race length and a lot of other things that were not clear from the start.

And this is ok because I was doing much worse than in the first try :)

I was really struggling mid season with the weakest engines (even though I had invested in the engine from the start, the preset Judd engine was just not able to improve)
A lot of 7th places, ie out of the points and my second (pay) driver was just a total embarassment.

mm2017-03-2917-44-18-50.jpg

After a difficult season Piquet has now done the impossible in race 12 - he rescued the season with a win in Italy!

This first victory came somewhat unexpected to me, because I had already been planning for season two.

mm2017-03-2917-41-02-33.jpg

This was mostly the result of a perfect strategy.

The cars started the race in the dry, but both Lotus with intermediate tyres because the weather forecast said rain. For some reasons the AI cars wanted to ride the first lap with dry tyres, so when the eventual rain spell came I zipped through the field, at the end I had over 40 seconds lead.

Only if it would have begun to rain again my lead could ever be in jeopardy, but the weather held. Afterwards I could just continue the race with soft tyres and even afford safe pitstops.

mm2017-03-2917-41-32-61.jpg

In fact the strategy was so fortuitious that Olivier Beretta, without doubt the worst driver in the field, could collect his first (and I suspect only) Championship point. I hope he cherishes it as I will replace him as soon as the new car is built. (I only keep him to increase my balance to ca 30 million before the season ends. And I also doubt anyone will ever hire him again after that.)

This win was absolutely great because it sets me apart from any direct competition. I am now in an unassailable position behind the top teams (Williams, McLaren, Ferrari and Benetton) and with 16 championship points the projected 5th place is absolutely secure (I doubt Minardi, March etc win even a single point this season).

mm2017-03-2917-43-10-98.jpg

Next season Rubens Bariccelo is already waiting, he was a great choice because he adds +15 to morale and has already good feedback /for his young age). And depending on Piquets decision (it looks like he wants no new contract), I will hire one or two new drivers.

My favorites are currently Arnoux, Alboreto, Herbert, Johansson, and maybe another talent like Schumacher or Hakkinen.

But maybe Nelson changes his mind and sticks with Lotus.

Riso

Arcane
Went through my few screenshots, found my absolute best season. I took over Kitano in 2022 when I had to pull it out of Asia Pacific, won the titles in 2024 and 2025. I couldn't find a different team to switch to, so in 2026 that happened:

D13D37D7E1DB5C9505990CC09D5F6F93C1756737

Fucking De Graaf ruining my perfect season. :argh:

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
mm2017-03-2917-41-32-61.jpg

I need this mod, it's crazy how many drivers I still recognize from watching F1 with my dad. I always thought Mauricio Gugelmin was a really great name!

Is there a (big) difference between 80% and 55% tires, or are they about the same until they go into the red?

For now, I'll start a new career with my own team and my first investment will be a new factory, to get my reliability up ASAP. Hope that's not another mistake, but going of my previous experience, it seems to be right thing.

A mod that lets you hire your own personnel at the start would be nice.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Very good idea. I'm always investing in a new factory first if I got the funds.
I'm gonna start a new GP career as well. As always, starting from the bottom of the belly. Got little tired of GT.

Burning Bridges

If you take Lotus, you start with a good factory, and a good team. But the engine is crap.

Yes, the 1989 mod is great https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=887092704

Diesel98 deserves great credit, he put in over 220 drivers, and up to this point they are done spot on. I also watched F1 since the late 80s and must say that even lesser know drivers are down to the T.

Probably there is even more as I haven't unlocked the extra drivers. He also put in the cars performance and engineers designers, sponsors, and even a real female driver like Desire Wilson ;)

Burning Bridges

Right now the biggest problem is calculating fuel. Because I never know when the race ends, and I always run in the high mid field, I must calculate up to 1 lap more. This turned out to be really tricky when I run at the very limit.

And now with 2 races left to go, I really dont know what to do about drivers.

I have an opportunity with Gerhard Berger, who is currently one of the best drivers in the field. But if I hire him now I pay 2 million fine for him and my own number 1 drivers. On the other hand if I wait to long, they may be hired. 4 million less for next years car would be something. Though I will have ca 45 million at the end of the season, cash and savings for car together, but with the transfer it would reduce to 40 million.

In fact I could even hire Senna, after I gave some favorable interviews he is interested in talking to me :)

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Well, actually I have thought about this a bit more and if I hire Berger before the last race (he seems interested) what happens with his championship points? He currently has won 43 points with Ferrari :) (I guess they go to their new second driver then, otherwise it would be a mean way to interfere in the championship )

I also think I can switch Piquet to number two before the last race, and let his contract run out, that way I would save half the fines ...

Burning Bridges

Is there a (big) difference between 80% and 55% tires, or are they about the same until they go into the red?

I didnt notice a big difference between 30 and 100%, just dont let them run under 20%, and definitely not under 10%. Thats a mistake I paid for often and dearly in the first races.

In the second half if the season I did quite well with the softest tyres and more pit stops. And it was important to concentrate on 1 type of tyre so I can get the full 15% bonus throughout the race (also maximize the bonus during training for race and qualification trim).

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

I didnt notice a big difference between 30 and 100%, just dont let them run under 20%, and definitely not under 10%. Thats a mistake I paid for often and dearly in the first races.

In the second half if the season I did quite well with the softest tyres and more pit stops. And it was important to concentrate on 1 type of tyre so I can get the full 15% bonus throughout the race (also maximize the bonus during training for race and qualification trim).

Thanks!

At the start of the season you'll have to make several stops anyway to repair your failing equipment, after that I normally have the drivers on different strategies.

One mechanic gave my driver the ability to reduce tire wear with very soft tires - is it better to use that and drive aggressively or get the 15% bonus? I guess the 15% tire performance bonus is still better - and the 15% race trim bonus should be the first one you'll take. A shame about the mechanics bonuses, wish you could choose more than 2.

Burning Bridges

I never used this bonus, because you can have only 2 selected, and normally you need them for +3 tyre type, +3 race trim.

This is only my opinion though, and I only completed 25 races so far, so wait what others have to say.

Riso

Arcane
If you have a really smooth driver a tyre bonus will give the tyre a duration close to the next harder compound. Trying to make the tyre last longer is always better.

Also the real pro engineer bonuses are the ones that cut tyre changing or refuelling times by 50%.

Burning Bridges

This game is addictive as crack :lol:

Finished my first season with a respectable 5th place, and now I must be careful not to start the next one right away! This game can eat away your life, with ca 1h per race a full season is ca 2-3 days almost playing straight or weeks if you do it like a normal person.

Re: negotiations. I realize that I cannot afford the really good drivers. With Berger and Piquet in the range of 1.5 million per race, I really have to consider a plan B. Otherwise I risk paying all my budget on drivers.

There are a lot of 3-4 star drivers that are younger and more affordanle, but they are all at their maximum potantial and have really bad marketing.

One thing that I have discovered is the mentor. A guy with this ability can give up to 1/2% extra to teamates. If I had one or two mentors, and a really good talent, I would theoretically double the improvement rate. But I still dont see how I could get a really good guy from 2 to 4 stars that way. Once I have him where I want him to be, his contract would be over and the whole game begins anew :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom