Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

StarCraft: Remastered

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Those portraits look like trash.

there's a black dude in SCV...... :incloosive:
Das raysys. So you be sayin dey gotta pick cotton balls minerals fo massa. Fuck dat shit.
Are you two just easily triggered or entirely ignorant of the fact that scv in sc1 was always a black guy?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Definitely not black, he is BR white, or mulato, but not black

oJoHpjdl.png

GloomFrost

Arcane

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
A Diablo 2 remake will be the last nail on Diablo 3's coffin! :lol:

Blizzard acknowledging that their news game are shit, that's why they probably did not do warcraft 4.

At this point it's probably the best if they just made a remake of their old games every 10 years, SC, D2 and WC3

Neither is Starcraft unplayable.

On the other hand if Blizzard wanted to make gameplay changes like buffs for weak skills or new runewords or w/e that would be welcome.

Neither is Starcraft unplayable.
100% true. After all, I have spent 10 pages arguing about this. :)

However, Diablo 2 still looks good enough that it doesn't really have a graphical barrier to entry for mouthbreathers born post-1997 unless you're seriously that vapid that it has to be 3d or you can't play it. So it's probably slightly more playable to people that didn't grow up/game while it was new than SCBW is.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am so fucking waiting for that game.
With all due respect, it's not like the original game is unplayable. I still rerun it at least to the end of normal Baal once every couple years.
Maybe not but when I read what I need to do to get it running and at weaker resolutions I went back to GD and PoE.
I will be glad to return to D2 once it is improved a bit.

what I need to do to get it running and at weaker resolutions
I've never had any problems with it on 64bit Win7. Basically still works perfectly without any real tweaking.

As for the weaker resolutions, well... I think the game has good enough art direction that it still carries itself well at its best (800x600?) resolution even if it's stretched a bit.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I thought that if they go with the not porting to SC2 engine approach for the remaster, that they will re-render the unit sprites but they went with 3D models. Doesn't look bad when zoomed out, but that Ultralisk up close looks not so good then again they probably want it to run well to maintain good performance on a wide range of machines.

I'll wait and see just what they will do with it. On one hand I would really enjoy modern online functionality for the classic game. On the other I am not sure if I am willing to spend too much extra cash just for that. I will need to see how they change the campaign.

Also for fucks sake Blizzard, kill WOW already and make Warcraft IV. Or a reboot of the Warcraft series.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
To me, many of the redone sprites look a lot like stickers that have been plastered on top of the environment. The overall impression I get is that the gritty aesthetic and sense of depth has been hurt, badly. Everything looks too artificial, while the original spritework gave a more authentic vibe.

That said even if the remaster has regressed artistically, I'm still likely to play it over the original for the sake of improved fidelity.

Last edited:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Eh it looks ok even if I don't see the point really. Though if it rekindles interest in classic style RTS with decent campaigns(as opposed to those control point, drip fed unit games with a glorified skirmish mode as a 'campaign') then I'm all for it.

Des

Educated
Wont this release cannibalize what remains of sc2 esports though? I think the remaining koreans will just go to BW HD, ending sc2 in Korea for good.

Wont this release cannibalize what remains of sc2 esports though? I think the remaining koreans will just go to BW HD, ending sc2 in Korea for good.
:incline:

Also:

Dev Guy said:
"Those trips that we took to Korea have added that clarity of don't mess with the gameplay, it's okay that the dragoons are derpy and occasionally a reaver shot won't go off. Those are the things that make the game exciting and that separate a great player from a mediocre one."
Every faggot in this thread calling for MBS/unlimited selection/smartcasting is now on suicide watch. Casuals rekt at every turn, how will they ever recover?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I just want to see the cutscenes remastered.
They will remaster them alright. The same way Baldur's Gate did. That is they will be replaced with some shitty comic book style pictures. Fucking Blizzard has the time and money to rerender all of the cinematics, they are known for their top notch cinematics afterall. But no, this is the only thing they should spend any effort on, but they choose the easy path.

One issue I have is that it looks like they are keeping the same number of animation frames for things like attacking and moving, which looks kind of bad at higher res IMO. Doubling up on them would probably be an improvement but I don't know if that would affect gameplay. Are actions in SC1 locked to frames?

Also want to know whether the zoom out capability is a general feature or just for spectators.

The reason they're doing that is so that existing players (because there are still a lot of them) aren't forced to basically relearn the game due to all of the animations being different. They talk about this in the interview.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Remastered cinematics would probably be worth buying it for that alone, IF they do them, and tastefully remastered.

SC1 and Brood War has some of the best cutscenes ever made, and the story is one of the best i've experienced also.

Imagine the intro to brood war in 1080p remastered quality cutscene or the space station amerigo one from SC1..

true

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom