Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

pippin

I like how you find Xzar in BG2 and while you can tell him you know him, he acts as if he never met you. You could argue it fits his chaotic persona, but it's almost as if they've always known of this stuff.

pippin

I hate it how Crowbcat likes to play it safe. His video is like a medley of stuff we already know.
I hadn't seen half of those, so I'm fine with it. Don't know Crowbcat tho, so maybe he could have done better.

Some people like him, but imo he always goes for points that are somewhat "safe" or easy to avoid conflict when it comes to drama. He would make videos to say Minecraft kids are autistic, Ubisoft releases broken games, launch days for consoles are crap, etc. Stuff that you might already know if you've been aware of the happenings during the last years. He's not telling you that Bioware was always shit, or that there's a need to actively boycott major gaming companies who release shitty products. And as far as we know he's an independent youtuber, so he doesn't need to protect anyone, and yet he still goes for easy targets with easy points of view.

Drakron

Arcane
but again, it's a little more understandable in a game like ME because every quest/scene is extremely expensive - what with dialog, animations etc.

Now, now ... lets not be rational and understanding over here ...

But for most part ME2 respected what happened, who died stayed dead ... also if you killed Wrex in ME1 you were 1 squad member short, Grunt didnt pop up and replaced him because you decided he was dead, same with Legion, in the long run you could not escape what happened with certain characters, especially Legion that was very connected to the Geth.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I like how you find Xzar in BG2 and while you can tell him you know him, he acts as if he never met you. You could argue it fits his chaotic persona, but it's almost as if they've always known of this stuff.
I really want to know the thought process for Jaheira being a love interest in the second game. Were a lot of fans into her and demanded Kahlid be cuck shoa'd?

In my replay's of BG1, I put the cursed genderchanging belt onto him the whole game.

Jaheira never complains.

And neither does he.

qYrcjKw.png

fSN4q4U.jpg

yK7uwp6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

pippin

Her deciding it's a good idea to fuck you right next to her husband's still warm corpse is not the worst thing we got from that particular romance, no.
Remember: she was in Gorion's party. Gorion was at least 50, so he's 30 years older than you and that's being generous. I know elven genes make people age slower, but that would imply Jaheira would still be the equivalent of a 40 years old woman. Adding to that, it's implied she is your kind-of stepmom, given that Gorion told them to take care of you and etc. Charname is supposed to be like 18 when bg1 starts. So you're basically fucking your mom.
But that's not all, since most of the romance crowd was motivated by your own relationship with Imoen, parly because of her friendly and caring demeanor but also because of the "charm" of the cute girl who is kind of like your sister but not really.

So yeah, Bioware has always been like that.

funny how when i was young and horny i didn't care to explore bg2's romances because i was totally uninterested, and now that i'm old, sad and alone every game has bangable fags.
it's like the world is trying to tell me something...

boot

Prophet
I haven't played the game but I've seen RK play it, which is arguably as much enjoyment one can get from this trash. If Bioware put laugh tracks and nice tunes to underscore the inanity of this it would be 10x better, should release a patch that does this. It was just a prank xD

I've included some of my thoughts in the spoiler below.

Dick Ryder's voice is annoying. Like a cooing male kindergarten teacher, his tone never changes. A modern hero in the vein of Carl the Cuck and Aids Skrillex.

The Initiative (heroes) are a bunch of space communists wielding total power over all ("they won't let my son out of cryo"), their space ship is full of queers and colored people. Most inclusive :incloosive:game ever made.

Apparently going without Oxygen for 3-4 minutes is enough to kill a man, even a pathpounder with access to super technology. And Dick Ryder passes out and goes into shock after not breathing for a few seconds. :nocountryforshitposters:This whole thing was weird, I thought bioware was originally a team of doctors? I usually look past this stuff but it was really jarring here.

The animation is worse than anyone can put into words, it's ridiculous at all times, turns the whole thing into a comedy. The alien animations are inoffensive, though, actually kind of good.

Conclusion: Best thing to come out of it is watching RK's nappy headed hero sprint and juke around some immaculately clean space station, everyone around him oblivious (this station recently had riots and violent power struggles, but the only broken thing are these panels pajeet here needs your help fixing <quest added>)

It all seems so stupid- and there are no more epic collar grabs to look forward to, this isn't your Cock Cummander Shepard's Ass Effect, no. But what were you expecting really? Everything is just about bioware super awesome qualityTM(shit), save for the animation, which is more entertaining than anything they've made in years:troll:
Hey65bz.png

:dgaider:

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

You actually believe what you wrote?

I literally cant stop laughing right now, fuck me, this is pure gold.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Really sad when you have to laugh at your own joke because no one else will.

Ok, I calmed down a bit.
Good to know

What the fuck are you babbling about, of course its all about "emoshuns", thats the whole fucking point.
Not really, not as raw emotions anyway. Game is about being a superbadass captain, but this particular choice was both to ground the threat and up the stakes, it happened on virmire because after that came the end game, and the story needed to show its teeth.
If they went for cheap "emoshuns" sake, they could have simply killed someone in a cinematic, with no player interaction. But the game framed it as you deciding who dies because it fit the theme of the player being the one in charge. It was suitably well done, like the rest of the story really.

Well atleast thats my experience with it, it seems that there actually were people with shit taste and low standards that thought it was a great scene, I just didnt expect to meet them on the Codex.
Oh, im sorry bro. Dont get off your high horse because of me. :lol:

Melcar

Arcane
Her deciding it's a good idea to fuck you right next to her husband's still warm corpse is not the worst thing we got from that particular romance, no.
Remember: she was in Gorion's party. Gorion was at least 50, so he's 30 years older than you and that's being generous. I know elven genes make people age slower, but that would imply Jaheira would still be the equivalent of a 40 years old woman. Adding to that, it's implied she is your kind-of stepmom, given that Gorion told them to take care of you and etc. Charname is supposed to be like 18 when bg1 starts. So you're basically fucking your mom.
But that's not all, since most of the romance crowd was motivated by your own relationship with Imoen, parly because of her friendly and caring demeanor but also because of the "charm" of the cute girl who is kind of like your sister but not really.

So yeah, Bioware has always been like that.

Hey, nothing wrong with banging your stepmom.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Hot. Too bad she looks like a fish in BG2.

Lhynn

Arcane
Hot. Too bad she looks like a fish in BG2.
Change everyones portrait to something bangable men. except for korgan, his already is.

J1M

Arcane
Its a kindergarten level of quality writing of forced "emotionally engaging" scene where you make a choice between two boring characters nobody cares about.

How in the world would someone use it as an example of a great gaming moment is beyond me.

"Compared to what" is a good point. 98% of videogame writing is teen fanfic at best and an incoherent word borscht masquerading as real text at worst.

As bad as standard mainstream literature is the bulk of it is at least coherent and professional. If you pick up any of Steven King or Tom Clancy the story will be well constructed, the language will be clean and everything will make sense, more or less. Plus ofc there's a substantial amount of "high literature" too, some of it pretentious but some genuinelly life changing.

In comparison there isn't a single videogame script you could describe as "high art". At best there's a lean handful of profesionally well written games like PST or Witcher. Videogame writers are usually middle class kids wthout any discernible talent, willing to "work" for peanuts at famous studios coz it's cool. And studios can get away with employing them because noone cares about writing (well didn't use to till recently, apparently with MEA everyone suddenly does), not even prestigious critics congregating at a certain web forum. Because writing is for storyfags, muh gameplay etc.

In that environment ME1 was like a revelation. Not only it was a sci-fi RPG - a blissful delight after years and years of dwarves, dragons and ancient swords - but it even attempted to rise above the standard and NOT aim squarely at the 11 years bracket with their story, characters and general writing. Of course it couldn't have lasted, nothing good does, Age of Kali is unstoppable. But saying ME wasn't anything special, just more shit coz everything's shit...nah.
You are aggrandizing words on paper too much. King is a hack. The Legacy of Kain series certainly has better characterization, language use, twists, payoffs, etc. than your standard 4 novel series. Combined with the voice acting quality, it also reaches a level above your standard television show.

Are they high art? I don't really care. The point is that books/movies/tv are not 'better' than games due to some intrinsic quality.

J1M

Arcane
Also ME1 has plenty of memorable moments, some mako bits were pretty great. fighting a giant worm is pretty great, the whole sequence at the end of the game where you fight while climbing a tower from the outside is fantastic. The music is great, Heck, the tutorial area is a very good mission on its own right, and never got old. The mission where you have to pick who lives or who dies, or where you have to talk down the angry krogan or put him down. Or how about assaulting a geth base in the middle of nowhere and having enemy drop ships bringing reinforcement, that was a sight to see.

This is all wrong.

The mako sucks, and the worm fight is just boring. The mako parts were the most boring ones of the game, actually. And the tutorial is one corridor, and sure, it's not as tedious as Taris or Irenicus' lair, but it's still an inconsequential corridor. Granted, Ashley or the other guy is a real decision, but in the end they are still interchangeable, just like wrex's fate. You still get a new Krogan. Assaulting a base with the enemy bringing reinforcements? I think Bioshock Infinite had a segment like that. Is Bioshock Infinite a great game?

I dunno, it kinda reads as if ME1 was your first rpg.
Mass Effect 1 is a bad game because there is an alternate Krogan leader to replace Wrex in Mass Effect 3? Are you retarded?

Mass Effect 1 is also the first game in a trilogy which promised to respect your decisions in future games, you hemorrhoid-ridden homosexual.
AKA "yes, I am retarded" -pippin 2017.

The fact that the later games did not respect those decisions as much as you would like is not something Mass Effect 1, made years earlier, is responsible for. To help you get up to speed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time

Lhynn

Arcane
Also ME1 has plenty of memorable moments, some mako bits were pretty great. fighting a giant worm is pretty great, the whole sequence at the end of the game where you fight while climbing a tower from the outside is fantastic. The music is great, Heck, the tutorial area is a very good mission on its own right, and never got old. The mission where you have to pick who lives or who dies, or where you have to talk down the angry krogan or put him down. Or how about assaulting a geth base in the middle of nowhere and having enemy drop ships bringing reinforcement, that was a sight to see.

This is all wrong.

The mako sucks, and the worm fight is just boring. The mako parts were the most boring ones of the game, actually. And the tutorial is one corridor, and sure, it's not as tedious as Taris or Irenicus' lair, but it's still an inconsequential corridor. Granted, Ashley or the other guy is a real decision, but in the end they are still interchangeable, just like wrex's fate. You still get a new Krogan. Assaulting a base with the enemy bringing reinforcements? I think Bioshock Infinite had a segment like that. Is Bioshock Infinite a great game?

Mass Effect 1 is a bad game because there is an alternate Krogan leader to replace Wrex in Mass Effect 3? Are you retarded?

Mass Effect 1 is also the first game in a trilogy which promised to respect your decisions in future games, you hemorrhoid-ridden homosexual.

The fact that the later games did not respect those decisions as much as you would like, is not something Mass Effect 1, made years earlier, is responsible for. To help you get up to speed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time
Pippin is right. we should judge fallout 1 by what fallout 3 delivered.

pippin

This is all wrong.

The fact that the later games did not respect those decisions as much as you would like, is not something Mass Effect 1, made years earlier, is responsible for. To help you get up to speed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time

The Mass Effect series was planned as a trilogy and the choices of the player affecting the future games was a major selling point right from the start. It is a point to take in consideration when talking about the games. They were also made by the same company, in a relatively short space of time, and actually using a gimmick which they have included since the early years of their careers.
And you, Lhynn, are trying too hard with your supposedly witty remark, especially considering this is a forum which judges PoE and Numenera against IE games, and there is nothing in common between those. Or Kotor 1 and 2.
But do not be angry, I'm not planning to discussing this further.

Lhynn

Arcane
The Mass Effect series was planned as a trilogy
Lol no.
Let me clarify, it was an idea, but it was all up in the wind, there was no story planned beyond the first game, and by the third game there wasnt much of the ideas that were used in the first game.
Also every game needs to stands on its own two legs. This is like judging BG2 because of what we got with nwn because the loading screens kept telling us wed be able to import our characters and shit. Its fucking inane and so are you right now.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You are aggrandizing words on paper too much. King is a hack. The Legacy of Kain series certainly has better characterization, language use, twists, payoffs, etc. than your standard 4 novel series. Combined with the voice acting quality, it also reaches a level above your standard television show.

Are they high art? I don't really care. The point is that books/movies/tv are not 'better' than games due to some intrinsic quality.

As for the game, gotta take your word for it. Never played LoK.

But it doesn't matter coz you're comparing a mainstream literature standard with a single game. Compare it to a videogame standard instead and let me know how it went.

RPGMasterLvl2

Novice

This is all wrong.

The Mass Effect series was planned as a trilogy and the choices of the player affecting the future games was a major selling point right from the start. It is a point to take in consideration when talking about the games. They were also made by the same company, in a relatively short space of time, and actually using a gimmick which they have included since the early years of their careers.
And you, Lhynn, are trying too hard with your supposedly witty remark, especially considering this is a forum which judges PoE and Numenera against IE games, and there is nothing in common between those. Or Kotor 1 and 2.
But do not be angry, I'm not planning to discussing this further.

Funnily enough KOTOR 2, despite not being "planned", being developed by a different studio and jettisoning its cast, has better continuity and expands upon the concepts and themes of its predecessor more than ME2 & 3 do.

Drakron

Arcane

Actually should we judge Fallout 3 by what Fallout 4 delivered?

Its kinda more to the point since same company but as Fallout 4 is just a boring clusterfuck of "action-RPG-but-not-really-its-a-shooter" that is a bigger step back that in that reguard Fallout 3 was, the game just shameless an d brainless implemented all the current survival crafting and building shit but ignored the survival aspect that makes me wonder who the hell thought that was a good idea ... and the story is garbage because its the same shit as Fallout 3 except managed to be worst.

Fallout 3 compared to Fallout 4 is a masterpiece, of course lets not compare them to the other titles or New Vegas otherwise we had to come up with new adjectives for "something that is better" to apply to those titles.

But I do say this, I do think Mass Effect got worst as it gone along but Mass Effect 2 at least had a different story concept instead of "find the four things" even if it was "recruit the 4 people four times" but ME1 and ME2 were still about the same "BioWare game" we all knew.

Also things were supposed to be better, FO1 vs FO2 is ... well FO2 is about the same game but more expanded, some people dont like the tone but we had more options in all aspects, now? its a sad state when we judge older games in the series and see then better ...

J1M

Arcane

As for the game, gotta take your word for it. Never played LoK.

But it doesn't matter coz you're comparing a mainstream literature standard with a single game. Compare it to a videogame standard instead and let me know how it went.
That is exactly my point. Your view of the 'average' tv show/movie/book is vastly skewed if you think it is above the average game.

DemonKing

Arcane
funny how when i was young and horny i didn't care to explore bg2's romances because i was totally uninterested, and now that i'm old, sad and alone every game has bangable fags.

A classic case of "Sewing the seeds of your own destruction" - most people think BG2 was Bioware's greatest achievement when in reality it was the beginning of the end.

Instead of learning that what most people liked about BG2 was the vast world where comparatively little content was gated, Bio decided that what they really needed to develop further for future games was the romance options. Now in the post-release MEA aftermath they have to have meetings to try to address complaints from the SJW community that only 50% of the game's NPCs are open to gay sex...

No one to blame but themselves.

boot

Prophet
*kreia voice* or perhaps there is a darker, heavier truth: they simply were not capable of producing very much good content. It's much easier to just do "romance" and call it a day. They found themselves as the leader of the rpg genre, and they wanted to keep their place.

So, they appealed to the lowest common denominator, and now here we are. It was no accident.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom