Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Brian Fargo plans to retire after Wasteland 3 is released

Andhaira

Arcane
"I started Interplay in 1983. I think I'm one of The Last of the Mohicans. Most, if not all of the old guard has gone on and relaxed.

Not sure what he meant with 'Last of the Mohicans' and 'old guard' but if he is talking about veteran game developers, that statement is simply untrue.

220px-Weisman_crop.jpg

Created FASA in 1980 and still active.

latest

Developed Ultima in 1980 and still active.

586785-chris_roberts_9.jpg

Started developing games in 1985 and still/again active (after some misfortunes in Hollywood)

220px-Warren_Spector_MF.jpg

Developing computer games since 1989 (tabletop since 1983) and still active.

pneurath.png

Developing computer games since 1986 and still active.

260px-200px-Shigeru_Miyamoto_cropped.jpg

Developing games since 1977 (!) and still active

rongilbert.jpg

Developing games since 1983 and just released his new game "Thimbleweed Park"

11136.jpg

Developing since the 80s, including Wizardry 6, 7 & the original Wizardry 8 (stones of arnheim). Has developed more than 200+ games (most for the Commodore system). Still active in various capacities no just gaming), also posts on the prestigious RPGCodex online webzine.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
You'd have to know what comes next to consider this good news.

For now, it's just news.

Wait, it's not even certain since it's two years off.

We shouldn't even be talking about it.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
He thinks that he can buy people to deliver a classic and wash his hands, which is utter idiotic. Just because Colin McComb worked on PS:T, doesn’t mean that he will deliver another PS:T. You have to be involved daily, know the ins and outs of the process, conceptually analyze whether something is good or not, etc. He doesn’t do that, because he break deals and sell hopes. He is a salesman.

That's kinda the same thing as what I said - he's clearly an inept CEO, but there's no reason to believe he's a malicious criminal with evil intent like some have suggested. He's just made some really bad decisions and put his trust in people he shouldn't have. With all the writing talent he bought, he might have done better to create a new franchise IP from scratch instead of building his game in Monte Cuck's SJW dystopia. This more than anything else resulted in the mediocre product presented before us. People wonder where all the money disappeared to, and apparently it was eaten up by having to do endless rewrites and revisions because of Monte's tantrums over things like his insistence that no white characters were allowed.

A CEO doesn't get involved in the creative process directly, but it is their job to sniff out the best talent, and this is where Fargo failed.

Well, Yes and No. As a CEO you just pick people, the problem is that you pick people from the available pool. You don't create them. To be honest this whole industry has gone down the drain and that's not his fault.(not speaking to people who are working on a project is, but that's about it).
The people that were capable like TC and MCA have hung their balls on the nail. They don't want to be game leads, they want to bake pies and/or write shitty characters. Seriously, to whom of old guard could you even trust such a thing as a game development? Gaider (haha, oh wow). The only one whom I would trust is Ziets and he's currently working for Fargo. Not big of a pool out there...

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
A CEO doesn't get involved in the creative process directly, but it is their job to sniff out the best talent, and this is where Fargo failed.

CEO my foot. We are talking about a medium game studio here, not a multi-billion publisher. You have a team of people with someone in charge, and he needs to be involved in the development process on a daily basis. That some people here are using the “He is a CEO, it’s not his role” line, reflects how disconnected from the realities of game design he is. He is not a publisher anymore, but he still thinks like one.

m_s0

Arcane
People wonder where all the money disappeared to, and apparently it was eaten up by having to do endless rewrites and revisions because of Monte's tantrums over things like his insistence that no white characters were allowed.
Source?

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
People wonder where all the money disappeared to, and apparently it was eaten up by having to do endless rewrites and revisions because of Monte's tantrums over things like his insistence that no white characters were allowed.
Source?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Torment/comments/5yhp0s/aligern_custom_portrait_the_other_companions/

Just read through the comments. Colin responds and says Monte was very adamant about this.
maximum CUCK.

Darkzone

Arcane
Don't know if the retirement is good or bad. But it seems that Fargo is butthurt about the TToN receptions, and if BTIV and WL3 is a success then he will change is mind about the retirement.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Source?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Torment/comments/5yhp0s/aligern_custom_portrait_the_other_companions/

Just read through the comments. Colin responds and says Monte was very adamant about this.
maximum CUCK.
With all the nonsense going around that everything is possible and everybody is mixed I don't see how this garbage could have worked out even in a perfect world.
I know that cucks are not people, but us normals do like to relate to our characters irrelevant if it's black, asian or caucasian. Looking on the bright side it's good that everyone is not a single sex.
The more I hear, the more I understand that the project was doomed from the start. There was no way how it could succeed with that setting and with retard at the helm who obeys commands from retarded cuck instead of doing his job.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
The more I hear, the more I understand that the project was doomed from the start. There was no way how it could succeed with that setting and with retard at the helm who obeys commands from retarded cuck instead of doing his job.

That's why I said Fargo would have done better to use all the writers he hired to come up with a new IP from scratch rather than license Monte's IP. Monte is apparently a very difficult person to deal with, and even his wife left him. Some people are just babies that have to have their way with everything and refuse to compromise. I wouldn't be surprised if the anus in the Bloom was put there by George Ziets as an allegory for dealing with Monte and his crap.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Not to mention: No combat, No stats, No classes + single rase (whatever da fuck it's supposed to mean. I am pretty sure nobody knows how such person looks like)+ other garbage. Yeah, it was dead on inception.

Darkzone

Arcane
I think that the Planscape setting was also screwed up by Monte Cock, with the Faction War. Sadly, but Zeb Cook is wasted on the elder scrolls online thing.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
I think that the Planscape setting was also screwed up by Monte Cock, with the Faction War. Sadly, but Zeb Cook is wasted on the elder scrolls online thing.
Dunno what faction war is but sounds retarded...

Darkzone

Arcane
Dunno what faction war is but sounds retarded...
Basically it is the end for the Planescape setting, where the "known" factions are destroyed. Since then the setting is discontinued.
Here is the wikipedia site for this, because i don't want to post a link to the adventure book: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faction_War

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Man what garbage. I had a fucking panic attack just reading half trough the results of the faction war in wiki... Like FUCK. To say that it makes no sense would be a compliment...

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I wonder if Cook explodes when he realizes most people playing in his setting will just whitewash it in their head

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom