Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Beamdog's Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition

Sykar

Arcane
The fuck are epicene, gendervoid, travesti n-b and aliagender? That whole graph is lololoolol worthy, but those take the cake.

That is the sound of the English language crying out in agony while being raped by SJtards from every possible angle into every orifice.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
sfs7O4e.jpg

looks like something for PS2 like Fallout BoS or BG Dark Alliance TBH...

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
If they would add Lustmord's soundtrack (as an option not a default) this cash-grab would be a bit more justified: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/ps-t-lustmord.87399/

Trivia:
Brian Williams (also known as Lustmord) was the original composer for Planescape: Torment. Here are two official trailers: 1, 2 - featuring the same track made by him specifically for the game. His work was ultimately discarded and changed for Mark Morgan's soundtrack. Trailer music (above) is the only musical piece left from the former soundtrack (apart from the files in possession of Brian himself).

Here is some trivia about his involvement into the game's development:

will you ever release the music you made for the game?
I have no plan to do so and don't think there is enough interest to make it worthwhile.
If I recall properly, there was 90-100 minutes of music in all, though it could be more.
Some elements are on the album Metavoid, as I was working on that material at the time Interplay approached me and they asked for some of it to be incorporated into the game, and I ended up using those elements in the album as I originally planned.

Have you ever sampled something from a Lustmord CD to put it in a movie?
No. Though individual sounds that I created for use in Lustmord have appeared in movies though, and didn't get used in Lustmord as a result.
I was working on a Lustmord album when approached by Interplay to compose music for their gamer "Planescape: Torment". Quite a few elements from that album ended up being used on Planescape (they liked it and wanted to use it). Later, after a new producer decided to change musical direction and didn't use the work that I'd done, some of that music ended up being reworked back into Lustmord again and about 10 minutes of it is in "Metavoid".
Was it the first time you were working on a video game?
Yes, and it was a terrible experience.
It was very enjoyable to start with, but then the original producer quit and things changed. The company responsible is very corporate, lots of attorneys in suits etc
Originally they loved what I was doing, then, after four months of work, and six weeks before the game was released, they decided on a completely different musical direction and said they were "now thinking more along the lines of John Williams " (!)
I suggested that in that case they hire John Williams and pay him his usual $1M fee
So I was out, and my work, about 46 pieces of music in all, went unused.

Also, Mark Morgan's point of view:
There are rumors that you only had a couple of weeks to write the music for Planescape: Torment. Is that so? What was your time frame on Fallout and Fallout 2, and when did you start working on these projects?
Yes, on all three games I began late in the process... Planescape: Torment was a quick turnaround as you suggest. I did it in about 2 weeks. I don’t know why, but the game was pretty much completed before they decided who was to do the music.

Now to the matter at hand. Here is the twitter conversation I had with the guy just now:
Me:
Concerning your work on Planescape: Torment and the lack of interest for you initial soundtrack's release. Are you aware about PS:T spiritual sequel and its crowdfunding campaign that was concluded some time ago? Link. Not to mention another spiritual sequel (although in more indirect way)with similarly successful campaign? Link. And another bit of trivia. Here is most popular digital resource that sells digital copies of old games. Link. And here is its chart of bestselling games: Link. As you can see, PS:T occupies the second slot.
The thing, the objective fact is: on videogaming scene, PS:T is a cult classic with tremendous reputation, that continues to sell (and even to provide the spiritual sequels with needed funding!) even today, 14 years after its release. The point is: I imagine, there WILL be a significant interest for your unreleased OST, if you decide to remaster and publish it. Even more so - in the light of current Torment: Tides of Numenera development (maybe even some mutual promotion is possible).
So, finally, THE question. Given everything aforementioned, is there any chance whatsoever for that enigmatic album to ever finally see the light of day?
P.S. Thank you for your attention and time. I am also sorry for all the mistypes.
P.P.S. Come to think of it, you can even run a Kickstarter campaign for that album. If it reaches the "OK, now it IS worth my while" number - then the project is a go, and the pledges carry on as pre-orders on the album. And if the campaign fails to reach that number - then, I guess, there isn't enough interest after all.

Brian:
Not aware of any of the things you mentioned. I doubt there's enough interest to justify a release. It's all short 1-2 min tracks.

Me:
Could you give some estimate number (of interested fans / sold album copies) of what you consider to be "enough interest" to justify this particular release?

Brian:
Enough to cover manufacture costs and the work put into it. This is ow I make my living.

Me:
I understand that. I was asking for an estimate because I was thinking about creating an online petition to show the interest (or the lack of it). Also, both Torment: Tides of Numenera AND Project Eternity collecting >4mil$ each (if you include non-kickstarter paypal pledges) via their crowdfunding campaigns, I'd say, is a pretty evident indication, that there IS a pretty significant amount of interest (in one form or another) towards Planescape:Torment's legacy as of right now.

Brian:
Difficult to follow the thread of what you're trying to say in 140 bursts. Best use the usual channels for a more direct approach.​

So, the question is: "What now?". Like, do I need to start an internet petition or something (since he obviously doesn't want to "test the waters" even if via kickstarter)? If so, then how do I need to write the damn thing? In what way do I need to "promote" it? Finally, what number of signatures should be considered enough (since he obviously dodged the last question - and, I presume, has no intention whatsoever to name any specific numbers)? What's basically the best way to resolve this whole thing?

Last edited by a moderator:

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member

hexer

sfs7O4e.jpg

looks like something for PS2 like Fallout BoS or BG Dark Alliance TBH...

From what I can tell, this TNO was made by Eddie Rainwater and then replaced when James Lim made a new one and saved the day.
Lim's concept art was pretty faithfully presented in the final game so he resonated quite well with MCA's vision.

If they would add Lustmord's soundtrack (as an option not a default) this cash-grab would be a bit more justified: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/ps-t-lustmord.87399/

Lustmord in PST would have been very fitting, like NIN was for Quake. Was Mark Morgan soundtrack made in 2 weeks any good? I should re-listen to it as I don't remember it at all.

It's a big, if not the biggest part of the game's atmosphere.

Morgan's soundtrack was great but the songs were sadly too short.

Lustmord incorporated much of his songs into his 2001. album Metavoid.

For example, this music..

ended up here

haraw

Educated
Can't blame Beamdog for taking retards' money. They mod the game and double the price, then people eat that shit up.

Easy money guys, you'd do it too if you could.

Darkzone

Arcane
While i love Brian Williams's work , i have to state that his lustmord project music would not fit into PST, at least not his works up to Purifying Fire. Fallout or dystopian future or some dark Scifi cRPG definitly yes. Sadly "The Place Where the Black Stars Hang" has been abused by many people in their videos and etc.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Stop and imagine their new companion(s).

The list of the new romanceable companions of PS:T(EE):
Brianna Wu

Cdx5PkGXIAAN6PA.jpg

Anita Sarkeesian

sarkeesian-goyim.jpg

Zoe Quinn

gameloading.jpg

It's like playing Marry/Fuck/Kill and you want two extra Kills.
Dunno, I could easily do Marry Anita, Fuck Zoe, Kill Wu.
vdahrv.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom