Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News New teaser website appears to be counting down towards Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition reveal

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
No one should doubt for second that this new team is also filled with SJWs.

If you run a studio and hire a bunch of people like that, that's not an accident. You guys hang out, you know their views and stuff. So they go onto something else and you hire new people. You're not hiring totally different people all of a sudden. Look at ME:A...jamming climate change and pointless trannies into the game. These people are the same type.

I've purchased all the Enhanced Editions, so on Judgement Day, I will have to answer for all this as well. :negative:

Thankfully, after the first Dragon Age, I stopped buying Bioware games because I don't need faggots and trannies shoved down my throat so blatantly.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Why not? If they do not touch the writing.
I prefer to not give money to mediocre people that live of much better people work, all Infinity Engine games can be easily played on modern computers, this is just a shameless cash grab. Not mentioning I tried to play Baldur's Gate 1 Enhanced Edition and all BumDog "enhancements" are actually crap. What is the point of playing an enhanced edition that is actually worse than the original game?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The writers left of their own choice

As hilarious as that was.. you did say "Writer(S)" plural. DEE and LesbianBard left of their own accord. For all we know Andrew didn't do shit around the work place and had flatulence problems. There is no clear proof that Beamdog intentionally shed themselves of the poor talent.

Normally I wouldn't get bogged down in the semantics.. but you're intentionally trying to push a narrative that is probably complete bs.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I prefer to not give money to mediocre people that live of much better people work, all Infinity Engine games can be easily played on modern computers, this is just a shameless cash grab. Not mentioning I tried to play Baldur's Gate 1 Enhanced Edition and all BumDog "enhancements" are actually crap. What is the point of playing an enhanced edition that is actually worse than the original game?
Are you forced to give them your money?

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
If you put anything to do with your sexuality/gender in your twitter bio, you're no friend of mine. That, I can tell you.

DeepOcean

Arcane
When they pull out the old Planescape Torment from market, you will if you don't wanna to pirate.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
When they pull out the old Planescape Torment from market, you will if you don't wanna to pirate.
Oh, I must have missed that. So if I own a GOG copy of PS:T it'll be replaced?

I thought the EEs and original games exist on GOG in parallel. Checked now and found out I was wrong. Though I'm pretty sure I saw them in store simultaneously some time ago.

set

Cipher
I found it really interesting that the post declares Dragonspear flopped. How do we know this for sure? It could have made enough to pay for its budget. I mean, at least in theory the game shouldn't have cost that much to make (engine was old sure, but that should mean art costs were on the lower end of the spectrum).
I couldn't find anything to back up this claim, not even any steamspy data to confirm it one way or the other wtf happened to it. BG EE seemed to sell decently on Steam though, which could explain why Beamdog is still alive after its failure. But it also didn't sell THAT well, which could also explain why Dragonspear wasn't destined to be a major success.

In a way, I'm disappointed. I thought it was really cool that a sequel to BG2 could come out in the year 2016. I would like to see direct sequels to some of my favorite titles, like Arcanum, VTMB... But in another way, I'm not surprised?
Of course, I own Dragonspear. I probably shouldn't have bought it, but I haven't actually played it yet and when I bought it I had said, "Whether it sucks or not, I want to support the continuation of this endeavor" - even if Beamdog isn't the right man for the job, this kind of RPG is what I still want to see made today... And yeah, I still haven't gotten around to finishing my BG:EE save, so maybe I'm just not into these games anymore myself? It's sad. Still, I've heard enough negative things about Dragonspear, I guess I can understand why it would have flopped. It's a complicated situation, is what I'm trying to say. These games are from an era gone by already.

And its flop isn't too hard to guess. I mean, let's assume Dragonspear WAS a good game. Let's ignore the SJW stuff for a moment. You still needed to own BG:EE at least to even have a chance at enjoying this amazing sequel to BG. You still needed to WANT to replay IE games, after all these years. I think you could have bought it standalone, but in theory that would be dumb. The whole experience of BG=>BG2 is a great one (but so very long!), adding Dragonspear as a bridge title was a decent idea conceptually - but has big financial failure expectations because it dilutes the number of people who can pick up and play your game; there are a lot of prerequisites to buying a game like Dragonspear. They would have been better served making a standalone title set in the same universe & timeline as BG/BG2. Also, the decision to do a bridge title was a dumb one in another sense - you know going into it that your choices can't possibly matter, since the beginning of BG2 isn't going to change to reflect anything that you do. BG2 is old. It was never designed to succeed Dragonspear. How could it possibly flow well?

I mean, I think they patched in beamdog's NPCs into BG2, but I don't think anything else was done to carry over the continuity. It would've been cool if they'd patched BG2:EE to allow your choices in Dragonspear to affect some of the gameplay? It's neat that there are all these new NPCs and shit, but can any of them hold a candle to Viconia? I just love that you can change her alignment, that she has such a long and growing story, and that there are items you can find in your journey that will last you until endgame.

I love BG2, but then again, I've played BG2 so much, too much, that as a hardcore fan of BG2, that I actually will probably never play it again. There's nothing Dragonspear can do to excite me to replay BG2 another time. BG2 is just too fucking long of a game. Too much mindless fighting, over and over and over! I've probably still not experienced everything the game has to offer, but I just can't play it anymore. I don't have that time anymore in my life. I'm sure a lot of people are like that. They accepted this series was dead and have moved on. It's hard to rekindle something like that. It's already hard enough slogging through the slow parts of BG1 so I can feel like I can properly enjoy Dragonspear. Making the new game the middle child is just really awkward. Not that a direct sequel with the Bhaalspawn would've made much sense either, BG2 ends in a very definitive way that can't be continued. BG=>BG2 is insanely long and adding another game to make it a triology doesn't make a whole lot of sense. BG2 on its own is probably longer than any other single player game I've ever played. This doesn't give people a lot of motivation to buy an experience that's set in the middle. If you recently finished BG2, there's no way you'd want to take a step back in time, nor would you possibly have the desire to start over from scratch with a new party... not after all that shit.

It also is kind of silly in a sense, to think a direct sequel to an old game can do well. You'll never please anyone with a strategy like that. New consumers want modern graficks. Old consumers want stuff that's faithful to the original. Neither will be satisfied like this.

I wish Beamdog was a little better at what they were doing. What they're doing, doing IE remakes/updates is great because I love all those games so much; but nothing they make is really anything that excites me. Their NPCs aren't really any better than the fan mod ones I can download (which is a joke considering how much of those are poorly written). And the pathfinding in BG1 is still atrocious and obnoxious (would it have been difficult to fix that in an EE? C'mon, it's just A*...)

tl;dr? I'm sad, sad I had any hope for Beamdog, and I really don't think they can make a Torment EE better than they could a BG one. At least BG had its combat going for it. They're going to need to find some actually good writers if they want to take a crack at adding any new content to PST.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I found it really interesting that the post declares Dragonspear flopped. How do we know this for sure? It could have made enough to pay for its budget. I mean, at least in theory the game shouldn't have cost that much to make (engine was old sure, but that should mean art costs were on the lower end of the spectrum).
I couldn't find anything to back up this claim, not even any steamspy data to confirm it one way or the other wtf happened to it. BG EE seemed to sell decently on Steam though, which could explain why Beamdog is still alive after its failure. But it also didn't sell THAT well, which could also explain why Dragonspear wasn't destined to be a major success.

In a way, I'm disappointed. I thought it was really cool that a sequel to BG2 could come out in the year 2016. I would like to see direct sequels to some of my favorite titles, like Arcanum, VTMB... But in another way, I'm not surprised?
Of course, I own Dragonspear. I probably shouldn't have bought it, but I haven't actually played it yet and when I bought it I had said, "Whether it sucks or not, I want to support the continuation of this endeavor" - even if Beamdog isn't the right man for the job, this kind of RPG is what I still want to see made today... And yeah, I still haven't gotten around to finishing my BG:EE save, so maybe I'm just not into these games anymore myself? It's sad. Still, I've heard enough negative things about Dragonspear, I guess I can understand why it would have flopped. It's a complicated situation, is what I'm trying to say. These games are from an era gone by already.

And its flop isn't too hard to guess. I mean, let's assume Dragonspear WAS a good game. Let's ignore the SJW stuff for a moment. You still needed to own BG:EE at least to even have a chance at enjoying this amazing sequel to BG. You still needed to WANT to replay IE games, after all these years. I think you could have bought it standalone, but in theory that would be dumb. The whole experience of BG=>BG2 is a great one (but so very long!), adding Dragonspear as a bridge title was a decent idea conceptually - but has big financial failure expectations because it dilutes the number of people who can pick up and play your game; there are a lot of prerequisites to buying a game like Dragonspear. They would have been better served making a standalone title set in the same universe & timeline as BG/BG2. Also, the decision to do a bridge title was a dumb one in another sense - you know going into it that your choices can't possibly matter, since the beginning of BG2 isn't going to change to reflect anything that you do. BG2 is old. It was never designed to succeed Dragonspear. How could it possibly flow well?

I mean, I think they patched in beamdog's NPCs into BG2, but I don't think anything else was done to carry over the continuity. It would've been cool if they'd patched BG2:EE to allow your choices in Dragonspear to affect some of the gameplay? It's neat that there are all these new NPCs and shit, but can any of them hold a candle to Viconia? I just love that you can change her alignment, that she has such a long and growing story, and that there are items you can find in your journey that will last you until endgame.

I love BG2, but then again, I've played BG2 so much, too much, that as a hardcore fan of BG2, that I actually will probably never play it again. There's nothing Dragonspear can do to excite me to replay BG2 another time. BG2 is just too fucking long of a game. Too much mindless fighting, over and over and over! I've probably still not experienced everything the game has to offer, but I just can't play it anymore. I don't have that time anymore in my life. I'm sure a lot of people are like that. They accepted this series was dead and have moved on. It's hard to rekindle something like that. It's already hard enough slogging through the slow parts of BG1 so I can feel like I can properly enjoy Dragonspear. Making the new game the middle child is just really awkward. Not that a direct sequel with the Bhaalspawn would've made much sense either, BG2 ends in a very definitive way that can't be continued.

It also is kind of silly in a sense, to think a direct sequel to an old game can do well. You'll never please anyone with a strategy like that. New consumers want modern graficks. Old consumers want stuff that's faithful to the original. Neither will be satisfied like this.

I wish Beamdog was a little better at what they were doing. What they're doing, doing IE remakes/updates is great because I love all those games so much; but nothing they make is really anything that excites me. Their NPCs aren't really any better than the fan mod ones I can download (which is a joke considering how much of those are poorly written). And the pathfinding in BG1 is still atrocious and obnoxious (would it have been difficult to fix that in an EE? C'mon, it's just A*...)

tl;dr? I'm sad, sad I had any hope for Beamdog, and I really don't think they can make a Torment EE better than they could a BG one. At least BG had its combat going for it. They're going to need to find some actually good writers if they want to take a crack at adding any new content to PST.
cuck

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
Will someone take this photo, photoshop Trent Oster's head on it...and replace the salt with rainbows and trannies with the caption: "And now, the Enhanced Edition!"

What-Salt-Bae-Meme.jpg

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

faggots and trannies shoved down my throat so blatantly.

I know you are just being your backwater asshole self and/or trolling, but.... that is already blatant for you?

No doubt it is bad writing. At least I don't know a single trans woman who would drop a "Oh, by the way, I was Stephen three years ago." to a person foreign to her, because... ???
But that's about it. It is mentioned in that stupid fashion and then dropped to not be an focus point of the character, and you go back to normal talk.

Blatant to me would be a character that can't stop talking about how trans she is and how that is so great, bla bla. Where the whole character is reduced to that.

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
Give me a fucking break...

I don't play RPGs to get bombarded with faggot propaganda just because some person feels the need to share their mental illness/degeneracy in hopes of legitimizing it.

ME:A is a shit game, written by shit people, who focused more on jamming a pathetic agenda into a game than they did actually making that fucking game.

So fuck 'em. I hope the game sells shit. And fuck you, for thinking it's normal to have this kind of shit in a game in the first place.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Believe it or not this is good. It can either be awesome or total shit, but the old game will still exist, and retards will get to enjoy the new inferior version assuming it is in fact as bad as BG EE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom