Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software It's another Demon's Souls thread god damnit

sullynathan

Arcane
Magic in Demon's Souls is broke, you played it wrong. And you definitely know you cheesed if you used against Tower Knight :lol:
Not like it mattered, I beat every other boss first try without magic. I only used it because when I made him fall down the first playthrough, I didn't know to attack his head

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I didn't know there were multiple endings. I just went on ahead and fought the king in his shit form.
After you
kill the decayed form of the king, when the Maiden in Black asks you to leave while she lulls the Old One back to slumber, you can instead kill her, which triggers the alternative ending.
You might as well choose this ending on New Game Plus.

sullynathan

Arcane
The false king is a bitch in NG+. Didn't know that his grab attack was actually lowering my levels.

Died a good 7 times before killing him, even the run to him is annoying.

Arnust

Savant
I think that the instakill dragon is the issue, lol. And you have to reload the game if you don't want it screaming and roaring in the fight.

sullynathan

Arcane
In NG+, so far I've beat Boletaria palace, Stonefang and shrine of storms. Shrine of storms is really short and isn't that bad of a level. My big problem is the flying demons constantly shooting at me.

The old hero isn't that bad actual, his gimmick is pretty fun to mess with as long as you don't stay behind a pillar.

Gonna do Latria before the valley of Defilement though

And hear Biorr's triumphant "BOLETARIAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
While I was shooting the blue dragon I muted the TV and apparently, Biorr died and I didn't know.

Maiden Astraea is always the third archdemon i defeat, the change of track in the nexus makes so much sense this way. False king is always the last, he's pretty much the final boss. I like the freedom the game gives you, but i think these 2 things should've be mandatory, adds much more impact to the experience as a whole. I don't like the very last moments too, they work lorewise but not very well in terms of a game ending itself, if they'd somehow fixed it, Demon's Souls would've be a 10/10 game and the best in the franchise by a mile. One more thing: skipping "One Who Craves Souls" shouldn't be allowed, fuck the other ending theme.

, Demon's Souls would've be a 10/10 game and the best in the franchise by a mile.
I don't think this would be true either way. Demons Souls has some problems. I'm sure even the multiplayer would be the worst in this series if people were still playing it.

I'm a storyfag, so, fuck multiplayer, never cared about it in the pvp sense. Don't care about magic in Souls games either. Demon's Souls may be heavily flawed in these aspects, but i don't give a shit about them, so it would be a 10/10 for me at least.

sullynathan

Arcane
, Demon's Souls would've be a 10/10 game and the best in the franchise by a mile.
I don't think this would be true either way. Demons Souls has some problems. I'm sure even the multiplayer would be the worst in this series if people were still playing it.

I'm a storyfag, so, fuck multiplayer, never cared about it in the pvp sense. Don't care about magic in Souls games either. Demon's Souls may be heavily flawed in these aspects, but i don't give a shit about them, so it would be a 10/10 for me at least.
You know what, I actually think Dark Souls had better world design than Demons Souls too. The largely interconnected world is more impressive than the separated world of Demons Souls even though it has its own pros.

Also, you're wrong. Demons Souls doesn't have the best "feel" at all of any Souls game. At times it has input lag and unresponsiveness. One thing that is certainly improved in nearly every installment of this series was combat, multiplayer and mostly level design.

You know what, I actually think Dark Souls had better world design than Demons Souls too. The largely interconnected world is more impressive than the separated world of Demons Souls even though it has its own pros.

Also, you're wrong. Demons Souls doesn't have the best "feel" at all of any Souls game. At times it has input lag and unresponsiveness. One thing that is certainly improved in nearly every installment of this series was combat, multiplayer and mostly level design.

The world design is better in Dark Souls, and the game is an immaculate masteriece until you arrive in Anor Londo, but the level design is inconsistent and plain awful in some areas after that, so it's not a clearly win for either side, Dark Souls has higher highs and lower lows in this aspect.

And Demon's Souls combat does feel better than Dark Souls, maybe it's your TV that is causing issues with input lag, it does have a bit, but it's not a big deal, Dark Souls is too fucking slow in comparison, but it's still great compared to other games of course. Also, Dark Souls 2 is even worse, so you're very wrong here.

sullynathan

Arcane
The world design is better in Dark Souls, and the game is an immaculate masteriece until you arrive in Anor Londo, but the level design is inconsistent and plain awful in some areas after that, so it's not a clearly win for either side, Dark Souls has higher highs and lower lows in this aspect.
Anor Londo is one of the best levels in Dark Souls, Dark Souls really falters in Lost Izalith. I wasn't a big fan of New Londo and at times Seathe's domain is painful. On the same token, I'm not a fan of the shrine of storms, the first part of the tower of latria or the later parts of the valley of defilement.

And Demon's Souls combat does feel better than Dark Souls, maybe it's your TV that is causing issues with input lag, it does have a bit, but it's not a big deal, Dark Souls is too fucking slow in comparison, but it's still great compared to other games of course. Also, Dark Souls 2 is even worse, so you're very wrong here.
Dark Souls combat is better than Demon's because it only improved on it. From a technical perspective, Demon's has more input lag, poorer hit detection, runs at sub-30 fps. It also doesn't have certain mechanics Dark Souls has like drop attacks, jump attacks, three weight thresholds, poise and different playstyles from sword and shield. Also, all enemies and bosses have ridiculously simple attack patterns compared to the later games. Dark Souls 2 and 3 would further improve on this.
The upgrade system is more annoying with the ridiculous amount of items that must be gathered to just upgrade one weapon especially given the rarity of upgrade items. Dark Souls 2 did wonders on this series by streamlining the upgrade system and also giving more choices.

sullynathan said:
Anor Londo is one of the best levels in Dark Souls, Dark Souls really falters in Lost Izalith. I wasn't a big fan of New Londo and at times Seathe's domain is painful. On the same token, I'm not a fan of the shrine of storms, the first part of the tower of latria or the later parts of the valley of defilement.

Anor Londo itself is gorgeous, but the level design is nothing to wright home about. Demon's Souls have some lackluster segments, but nothing abysmal like Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith, because they're unfinished. Hate Catacombs and Tomb of the Giants too. It's a tie in the end of the day in my view.

sullynathan said:
Dark Souls combat is better than Demon's because it only improved on it. From a technical perspective, Demon's has more input lag, poorer hit detection, runs at sub-30 fps. It also doesn't have certain mechanics Dark Souls has like drop attacks, jump attacks, three weight thresholds, poise and different playstyles from sword and shield. Also, all enemies and bosses have ridiculously simple attack patterns compared to the later games. Dark Souls 2 and 3 would further improve on this.
The upgrade system is more annoying with the ridiculous amount of items that must be gathered to just upgrade one weapon especially given the rarity of upgrade items. Dark Souls 2 did wonders on this series by streamlining the upgrade system and also giving more choices.

Dark Souls 3 is easily the best, too bad the rest of the game is shit. Dark Souls improves in SOME areas, by the other side, you take 3 hours to swing your sword, annoying as shit if you came from Demon's Souls. Dark Souls 2 is just a case of quantity over quality, the gameplay is floaty as fuck, but i enjoy the build variety.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tomb of Giants has 1 boss. And you need to know about the skeletons for the boss to be a fucking joke.

If you're talking about Pinwheel, yes, I agree, it's a fucking joke. But the level before him is one of the best in the whole Souls series when it comes to connectivity and hidden stuff. As for 'enemies being a pain in the ass', well, almost everything in the Souls games is a pain in the ass, until you learn the proper ass movements to accommodate it and feel pleasure words cannot describe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom