Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

vonAchdorf

Arcane
We outnumber them - charge!

Kuattro

Augur
I have been trying to stick to caravan guard duty but even brigands with little or no armor just wipe the floor with me whereas my guys constantly miss. Just getting annoyed that I have to beat on one thug so much whereas one dude has been known to wipe out two of my guys.

Caravan duty is actually pretty hard. You are crossing a lot of unknown territory, without being able to move by yourself, open to being attacked by almost everything. And as you can see in the screen above, caravan hands and guards are not the best of companions in combat.

Clearing lairs is much easier, you can go there, normally take a look at what you will be facing and if the odds look against you, just take your things and go.

As for missing a lot... yeah, that's what happens when you hire rabble because that's everything you can afford. Surrounding your enemies with three of your brothers and concentrating on one at a time can do wonders, especially if you manage to trigger a couple of morale checks with the enemy. Stick to spears, seriously, that's a 20% (I think) bonus to hit right there. That plus surrounding bonus should mitigate your brothers' worthlessness.

If you are having serious problems, I would also check Sarissofoi's youtube videos. That's how I (and a lot of people I would guess) learned how to really play BB. He's recently registered at the Codex (and already started a series of videos with some fine gentlemen from here as hapless peasantsvalourous soldiers) so maybe he'll pass by to drop some wisdom.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
QNj82h.jpg

crossbow guy shoots unded guy, turns out the line of fire is OBSTRUCTED by the bow guy

and so the bow guy gets hit

:prosper:

these los mechanics, seriously...

vonAchdorf

Arcane
QNj82h.jpg

crossbow guy shoots unded guy, turns out the line of fire is OBSTRUCTED by the bow guy

and so the bow guy gets hit

:prosper:

these los mechanics, seriously...

Is it obstructed or did the miss just randomly hit your character because he's currently win a melee engagement with your target?

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Is the revival of fallen brothers (red frame in the victory screen) random? I haven't played the game for quite a while before the latest beta and this feature was you to me.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Is it obstructed or did the miss just randomly hit your character because he's currently win a melee engagement with your target?

It's obstructed. The two archer dudes share the same hex line while the undead guy stands on a neighbouring one.

oNtaGJ.jpg

I dunno, maybe I'm doing something wrong here (because many of the mechanics in this game are stupidly opaque for no good reason), but in my experience unless you have a 100% straight clear line towards your target, it always counts as obstructed. Which leads to some downright retarded results like in the above picture.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Is the revival of fallen brothers (red frame in the victory screen) random? I haven't played the game for quite a while before the latest beta and this feature was you to me.
Random.
Unless they have survivor trait then its high chance.
Decapitation kills for sure.
Usually you can say when he died for sure because he drop weapons on the ground.
If there is no bag dropped there is high chance he will survive battle but gain permanent injury.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Against skeletons you should not use daggers,spears,pikes and arrows/bolts as they are only 50% effective(dmg) against them.
Also try shoot or throw directly from behind - they recently changed it and if you shoot directly from behind your soldiers you do not have chance to hit them in the back.
Which make archers much more dangerous and useful.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
I have been trying to stick to caravan guard duty but even brigands with little or no armor just wipe the floor with me whereas my guys constantly miss. Just getting annoyed that I have to beat on one thug so much whereas one dude has been known to wipe out two of my guys.

Caravans can be extremely dangerous. First you fight not only with spawned troops that will attack caravan(if they are spawned) but also with any random hostile party that decide that caravan looks tasty. That could mean(connected with how far away target is and how area is infested by hostiles) plenty of fighting.
First check where you going and how long it will take.
Have spare cash as even if caravan feed your troops you still need to pay wage.
Bring spare tools and plenty of them because you can fight a lot.
Have troops in reserve because you can and will suffer losses(either dead or wounded).
Also pay isn't that great and sadly you get zero bonus(outside of loot) for any fight.
If you are unlucky you can be attacked by 3 raider parties, 2 goblins and 1 orcs not mention direwolves or newghouls.
It can easily turn into dead march where you have no tools, no spare armor and all you merc are wounded and there three new hostiles are incoming.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
I dunno, maybe I'm doing something wrong here (because many of the mechanics in this game are stupidly opaque for no good reason), but in my experience unless you have a 100% straight clear line towards your target, it always counts as obstructed. Which leads to some downright retarded results like in the above picture.

Treat it like modern D&D does. If there's an obstruction in a line from any corner of your hex to any corner of theirs, the game generally treats it as obstructed (with a special rule to make it easier to fire direction over/through a friendly to a hex in a direct line from you).

Andnjord

Arcane
You can see in the combat log what happened to your brother. If it says killed he's dead. If it says 'struck down' then he'll survive with a permanent injury. Fatalities (critical hits to the head, you'll see the head flying or get smashed) will always result in your brother being dead, regardless of traits. Otherwise it's completely random whether your brother survives or not, except if he has the survivor trait.

Also, my wife thinks this game is some sort of whackamole...

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

Caravans can be extremely dangerous. First you fight not only with spawned troops that will attack caravan(if they are spawned) but also with any random hostile party that decide that caravan looks tasty. That could mean(connected with how far away target is and how area is infested by hostiles) plenty of fighting.
First check where you going and how long it will take.
Have spare cash as even if caravan feed your troops you still need to pay wage.
Bring spare tools and plenty of them because you can fight a lot.
Have troops in reserve because you can and will suffer losses(either dead or wounded).
Also pay isn't that great and sadly you get zero bonus(outside of loot) for any fight.
If you are unlucky you can be attacked by 3 raider parties, 2 goblins and 1 orcs not mention direwolves or newghouls.
It can easily turn into dead march where you have no tools, no spare armor and all you merc are wounded and there three new hostiles are incoming.

About raider parties, I notice they like to spawn right next to you even when you're trying to avoid forests and other places.

As for pay for caravans, I've seen some runs go for 1200 crowns and be almost hassle-free yet a run to the next town can cost me tons of money in men and equipment.

Oh and the jobs that pay for clearing out lairs don't pay as well either and they almost always involve having to clear out tombs which I don't like since it's always skeletons that take tons of damage.

Basically, the issue I have is that I feel like I am in a constant state of struggle to be able to afford anyone halfway decent in this game instead of having to filter through the rabble.

Andnjord

Arcane

One thing to consider as well with caravans is that they give the well-supplied status to the destination. This gives it additional stuff to sell and better prices. Useful if the caravan goes to a place with valuable trade goods or good gear.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Is there any reason not to ask for extra money in each contract?
You're usually okay to ask at least once. Read how they respond to know what your chances of success in second, third, etc. demands for higher pay. Very rarely, you'll have someone refuse to issue the contract on the first ask, so if you're desperate, you might want to avoid it.

Unwanted

golgo21

Unwanted
Shitposter
ok i need some advice,at what melee skill you guys change the spears with other weapons?70?80?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
50~59 = spear only if possible, possibly sword
60~69 = spear or swords, sometimes other weapons
70+ = spear, sword or any weapon without a bonus to hit (axes, etc...)
is my guideline but i am not a great player, veteran ironman is my current level.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fuck anyone that does a review in Steam and talks about "grind" as if you have some goal you have to "grind" for. The battles ARE THE FUCKING GAME

Unwanted

golgo21

Unwanted
Shitposter
50~59 = spear only if possible, possibly sword
60~69 = spear or swords, sometimes other weapons
70+ = spear, sword or any weapon without a bonus to hit (axes, etc...)
is my guideline but i am not a great player, veteran ironman is my current level.

thanks

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom