Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Motorsport Manager (PC)

Riso

Arcane
It has male and female drivers but I don't see why it should matter.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Because there have been 2 female drivers in the entire history of Formula 1 and they have won 1/2 championship points. I think the drivers name was Lella Lombardi.

The game is Motorsport not SJW simulator, and if I am forced to include 1/2 women and transexuals in my team the game will have to go.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
It's funny because most of the "best" drivers are actually female. I guess it was randomized by them, but yeah. That's truth.
BUT, you can easily get your own database with only Male drivers. AFAIK you could change ratio howerver you wanted in that mod.

That game totally lacks randomization of starting drivers. It basicly kills another playthroughs as you know who to get after first few seasons. That's the biggest flaw, I'd say.

Burning Bridges

I have downloaded the 1989 mod, I think that's more up my alley anyway.

My very first race was going well, was in 4th place but then I think I fucked up with tyres. It seems I always waited to long for the stops and fell back to 19/20 :lol:

Nice little game.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Yeah, if you start as an underdog (with create a team feature) it takes around 3-4 seasons until you can go to higher division. 3-5 seasons should always be enough to end up with advance. Sometimes you want to stay in lower division to get more money on HQ (IMO not really that great tactics as you can easily achieve 9th place for an end of season even with shitty car in higher division. And you'll get more money for that)

When you're nearing the end of season and want to get better parts for next one, remember to develop (and improve performance, don't mind the reliability with those) risky parts with highest +max stat/+stat (if you don't get too many +max) so you'll end up with best parts available to you this season. You don't want to use them, just let them rest for the next one and their stats will carry over. Ignore parts with "+max during qualification" etc. These bonuses don't carry over)
End of season performance on your best car parts will be what carries over to the following seasons's car's original parts with the addition of your lead designers relevant part stat.

So eg. If you'll be able to develop a risky part you dont use with 450performance and what you actually have been using this season was 390 performance one, your next year car will have 450 + relevant part stat of your developer (In range 1-20 IIRC)

I remember having a few seasons where I had shitty car, but I invested a lot in those risky parts. Following season was a fucking cakewalk because my car suddenly went from shit to 4-5th place on a grid.

Burning Bridges

Seems that my failures were because of tyres. I was always doing well until I waited till the very last moment and my tyres were ruined.

Now I planned this beforehand and I got my first championship point.

mm2017-03-2420-44-02-99.jpg

mm2017-03-2420-50-53-12.jpg

Burning Bridges

mm2017-03-2422-36-52-49.jpg

Do you recommend getting a new driver right away? I could get a guy like Schumacher, he has 2 stars now and turn him into my test driver or something?

My drivers are 1. Piquet which is great and still improving. And 2. Nakajima who is ok, but doesnt learn a damn thing anymore. He was known as quite a wrecker back in those days.

That Beretta otoh guy pays 450,000 per practice session, and 900,000 per race so I could use him as a cash machine, perhaps let him race to bring in cash for the number 1 driver ..

Or I could replace Nakajima with Schumacher right away, but I'd need years to get him up to shape. Nakajima is experienced but quite useless, hm what do you think.

Riso

Arcane
Yeah, once the tyres hit red you should consider pitting soon. Watch the pace, if it's in the red the performance is gone.

You can't afford to hire new drivers right away. Just focus on Piquet and improve the car. Engine most important. Tip: try to get it changed to SPEC if it's really shit.

Burning Bridges

mm2017-03-2423-21-05-12.jpg

Thanks for the tips, I did it anyway :lol:

Got Schumacher for 3 years, and fired the pay driver (Beretta). Schumacher costs me almost nothing, and the other drivers butthurt was glorious.

Of course the loss of the pay driver is ca -4 million or so over the season, provided I would let him drive every practice session which I dont want to.

But I dunno, I have two guys getting close to 40 at the end of the season and it makes me less worried now. Money was not so much of a problem up to now.

mm2017-03-2502-46-20-75.jpg

Then I though fuck it, and promoted Schumacher to my second driver. Nakajimas morale and form was not great before that and is now reaching into the 30s. And among many things he got the "addicted to videogames" trait, I think I did the right thing. This guy is not going to win any points, and can maybe help in the training sessions.

Schumis first race was the expected disaster, he finished 18th. But he was at times looking much better and it was the tyres that cost him at the end.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Still, paying so much(because you pay a lot for this cunt, ya?) for Nakajima as a reserve driver makes me cringe... :P But yeah, I love what ya did there lad.

Burning Bridges

mm2017-03-2504-34-13-99.jpg

I think it was the right thing to do. After the second race Schumis morale has already skyrocketed (he got a 14th place but was at some point ahead of Piquet).

Burning Bridges

Still, paying so much(because you pay a lot for this cunt, ya?) for Nakajima as a reserve driver makes me cringe... :P But yeah, I love what ya did there lad.

Thanks, I dunno, it would cost me 4 millions to break Nakas contract, so he can stay till the end of season and then it will be sayonara. And Schumi costs only 90,000 or so, he demanded practically nothing. So in the end not much has changed. I can use Naka as test driver in practice sessions, that way he still gives me maximum setup knowledge because of his experience. He's also quite a teamplayer, just too many bad traits and now also bad morale, the videogame addiction thing was the icing on the cake.

mm2017-03-2504-47-27-53.jpg

Piquet is sandwiched between the Benettons.

He is running 6th in every race, except a rain race where I got 5th. It's quite fun to have an overachieving driver like him, he constantly takes away the points of one of the Benettons which on paper should be ahead.

Interestingly I never managed a good qualification result (8-10 usually), but I always catch them at the end because my pit strategy seems to be better.

Burning Bridges

Is there a way to get rid of old components?

I built a second engine with average components by accident, and now need to basically do it all over again. Another 1.6 million down the drain :):)

I think I'll probably start over, it would have been better to fire Nakajima right away, keep the pay driver and let him run in training. That would make a 3/4 million $ difference per race :)

Riso

Arcane
No do-overs. You finally hit a real challenge to overcome instead of patient planning for the next season!

Burning Bridges

Yes, I just wonder what to do with a second "average" engine. The game fucked me over there I wanted to build a "good" one, but the interface was not clear what it would be.

Ok, a simple solution would be to keep both cars running with the average engine, until all other parts are modernized.

Riso

Arcane
You know, when you are a poorer team you might want to grab a chief designer that has the special ability to give you two items.

Burning Bridges

Tbh I still dont understand how upgrades are working and how this affects my future decisions.

From what I gather is that HQ buildings determine the number of improvements I can make during a season (like lets say Great) and then I have to do it again the next season?

Like lets say at the beginning I can build three levels of engines (Great) and when I upgrade my test track I can build a fourth one (Epic)? Then I can make four improvements every season and at the end of the season it drops back?

It'd be weird that improvement is kind of lost at the end of a season, but at least I can see how this is meant to make seasons more interesting. This however would make buildings much more important in the long term than I though, and necessitate a different strategy. Or in other words, this early on its much more important to generate money, and not so much drivers.

Riso

Arcane
Basically correct but the improvement is not lost, it's carried over. The two best parts of each category become the baseline for the next season. The various "cards" in the research category are also reshuffled each year which can be great and give you lots of options or very bad and only give you risky parts.
Something to consider designing the chassis is the higher the improvability rating, the more the parts can improve.

I don't know if you've noticed but the track setups don't really change between seasons. Once you have a good setup for a track just write down the values for next time.

Burning Bridges

Yeah I guessed so. I have written them in a notebook.

In some races I also copied the best setup from one driver to the other. Not always, but if one setup was crap, I thought it was much better to use the teammate setup. I guess thats something that happens in RL too, but dont know how much the driver related choice matters with respect to the setup, in the game that is.

Basically correct but the improvement is not lost, it's carried over. The two best parts of each category become the baseline for the next season.QUOTE]

Interesting. But doesn't that also mean that after some seasons there isn't any more improvement via new parts?

Burning Bridges

Another question - as I think I will restart at least one more time when free weekend ends - what is the preferred race length for you guys? I was running short sessions but maybe this is not so great concerning tactics. On the other hand, 1h per race weekend is already a bit excessive, that would become like 1.5 h.

Riso

Arcane
Interesting. But doesn't that also mean that after some seasons there isn't any more improvement via new parts?

There's no upper limit.

what is the preferred race length for you guys?

I always leave them on medium, simulate all the qualifyings and set race speed to max. The longer the race the more interesting they are with reliability, tyre wear and fuel usage coming into their own.

Riso

Arcane
Sadly yes. Luckily you can just go apply to another team and challenge your old one that way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom