Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
ME2 was cool space opera if you did destroyed the council and took every opportunity to shit on aliens in first part; the adventures of slightly renegade Inquisitor in the space. But they managed to frack this up in third part with Illusive Man being evil white male cause of muh 2014 year. Was not surprised every new BiowSJW game after went more and more SJW after this plot twist. And it was the part with less Reapers and some new ideas like Dark Energy thrown in... not to mention improved gun play and fun companions missions. ME1 was fun game but it did suffered cause of vestiges of being RPG game which added only lot of micromanagement and was pointless in TPS shooter. Also MaCuck and those exploration missions sucked a bit time... but on the other hand it had Vrex, Garrus, and Nice choice between Psycher Cuck (what was his name anyway?) and hot Alt right Waifu.... with space muslim woman still a side character then. In Commissar Opinion ME2>ME1>>ME3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MEA

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Have you jokers with rose-tinted glasses even played Andromeda yet? Writing in ME3, DAI and MEA is wholly comparable. I'd even say MEA somewhat improved on the utter retardity of DAI.

But it's all fanfiction stuff. It's what coddled Western 20-year overgrown children living in thier urban echo chamber bubble think real adults talk and interact. It's how they imagine real world functions. It all feels there isn't a single genuine adult with substantial life experience on the writing team. And what's worst, after the utter embarrassment with Disney Channel quality DAI villain - MWHAHAHAHA BOOOOOW BEFOOOORE MEEEEE - they fucking did it again.

This game must be a total tragedy for the people in technical professions at Bioware. The concept artists, environment designers, sound wizards. All those things were spectacular in DAI and they are a masterpiece in MEA. It's the only reason (this and the MP) I keep playing this fucking turd - every time I walk out my ship on a new world my chin drops on the floor.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
In Commissar Opinion ME2>ME1>>ME3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MEA

Dude ME2 is the worst of the 3.

ME1 - Decent story/ Decent mechanics (its all relative).
ME2 - Shit story/Shit Mechanics.
ME3 - Shit Story/Slightly less shit mechanics.

To be fair I don't really care how people rank ME2/3 but ME1 is obviously the best of the series.

It's the only reason I keep playing this fucking turd

Why would you buy this!?

Trotsky

Arcane
I've just seen an article from 2 months ago that says that EA thought this game would sell 3 million copies in the first week and 6-9 million overall...

They must be insane or downright lying, it would outsell every other ME game and that would mean ME3 that was the ending of the trilogy, I know they wanted to make ME a IP but you dont do a spin-off five years after the end of the series, you do it after the 1st or 2nd. Plus even established IP arent selling that well in this generation, let alone ME that was never a system seller even when MS tried.

The only reason I bought a shitty xbox 360 was because of the Mass Effect trilogy which was advertised as a console exclusive. M$ has been ripping people off ever since.

The first two Mass Effect games were good I understand almost everyone here wants to be an edgy, nitpicking, self righteous cunt but fans and critics alike enjoyed them.

ME3 by contrast was shit from start to finish. Nothing made any sense and the gameplay/graphics were bad as well the series can't get any lower than that garbage period.

The MP was fun though and that's all I ever played as the Mass Effect universe lends itself well to coop. Mass Effect 3's single player and multiplayer were developed by two different studios (Edmonton and Montreal) and the difference shows. For what was supposed to be a bare bones and tacked on gimmick MP was the saving grace of ME3.

I'm torn on Andromeda however its a good thing they tried to salvage the series after the third installment with a fresh new start with Montreal leading the way. However the problems are obvious partially due to Montreal having very little single player experience. The story and animations are bad but the gameplay and graphics are crisp especially in MP. I think Andromeda will do okay based on this fact alone & I wish them success on that front. I say this as someone up in arms over ME3's ending who despises new Bioware.

None of these problems are new though as Bioware's quality in general has been in decline. The more they focus on SJW shit the less they focus on making a polished game.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
Dude ME2 is the worst of the 3.

ME1 - Decent story/ Decent mechanics (its all relative).
ME2 - Shit story/Shit Mechanics.
ME3 - Shit Story/Slightly less shit mechanics.

ME3 by contrast was shit from start to finish. Nothing made any sense and the gameplay/graphics were bad as well the series can't get any lower than that garbage period.

ME1 gave lip service to the RPG style of stats based combat, which just isn't very fun in a third person shooter, they slowly moved away from it. Made it a worse cRPG but a better game.

ME1 gun mechanics and tech were shit, you can't have a fucking sniper rifle without headshots. Powerful biotics were the saving grace. Best story, an actual sense of mystery.
ME2 turned everything into a differently colored projectile, you had to sit in cover like a retard, super boring. Worst story by far.
ME3 had the best combat, they finally got pace right. Accept it's space fantasy now, then it's palatable. I actually liked the original (non DC) ending.

I'd rate ME1=3 >>>>> ME2 overall.

Storywise? ME1>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ME3>>>>ME2.

Everything else being shit, I wouldn't be surprised if ME:A had "fun" gunplay. Bioware went from storyteller to MMO-lite shovelware purveyor.

Trotsky

Arcane
ME2 had the best gameplay of the series. The first game was a chore at times & the enemies were bullet sponges. The third game was repetitive & the enemies were push overs. The pistols/shotguns were also overpowered in the first and third games. The weapon balance was the best in ME2. I feel that ME2 realized the vision of an action rpg.

Dux

Arcane
I fucking love Mass Defect Andromeda because it finally brings laughter into my life. I won't actually play it but I can still enjoy the moving pictures depicting various scenes of the autist in his/her/??? everyday struggle.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
When did this :

fghIDDz.jpg

...became hotter than this ? :

tumblr_ohjk239eZb1qcx7yfo1_1280.png

---
...Lady, what did they do to you?
That's a woman?

Frankly when I first saw this character I thought it was Eli from Phantom Pain, except brown.

344y25z.png

Brown Liquid Snake

GrainWetski

Arcane
Have you jokers with rose-tinted glasses even played Andromeda yet? Writing in ME3, DAI and MEA is wholly comparable. I'd even say MEA somewhat improved on the utter retardity of DAI.

But it's all fanfiction stuff. It's what coddled Western 20-year overgrown children living in thier urban echo chamber bubble think real adults talk and interact. It's how they imagine real world functions. It all feels there isn't a single genuine adult with substantial life experience on the writing team. And what's worst, after the utter embarrassment with Disney Channel quality DAI villain - MWHAHAHAHA BOOOOOW BEFOOOORE MEEEEE - they fucking did it again.

This game must be a total tragedy for the people in technical professions at Bioware. The concept artists, environment designers, sound wizards. All those things were spectacular in DAI and they are a masterpiece in MEA. It's the only reason (this and the MP) I keep playing this fucking turd - every time I walk out my ship on a new world my chin drops on the floor.

Yeah, people are really pumping up the writing in Inquisition and ME3 in here.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Ranking the Mass Effect games is always a tricky proposition since people place different weights on combat/gameplay and storytelling. Going purely by gameplay I'd say ME:A>ME2>ME3>ME1.

Now, story wise, we have to accept the basic fact that the storyline of the original trilogy was quite shit in hindsight. It collapsed under the weight of Bioware's lack of planning, with some decent-to-good set-up in ME1 being absolutely sidetracked by ME2 and then gloriously falling apart into a nonsensical shitstorm of epic proportions in ME3. That's what I appreciate about Mass Effect Andromeda, there's no pretense to be more epic than it has to be for the mediocre space opera that it actually is. There are no immortal reapers coming to ruin all life in the galaxy, there's just some evil empire of space Mengeles that are out to steal your genes and turn you into them, and a decidedly absent race of progenitors that presumably got wiped out by either themselves or a decidedly absent race of antagonistic progenitors. It's just a new incarnation of space Mary Sue saving the galaxy with their space friends, and it's executed decently enough for me not to mind. So keeping that in mind I'd rank the story ME2>ME:A>ME1>ME3 based on Suli's Fun-with-space-friends-ranking™, and ME1>ME:A>ME3>ME2 on Suli's scale-of-story-sensemaking-and-internal-consistency™.

Don't care about the facial animations because I read the subtitles and spacebar to the next line because I'm literate. Game looks good otherwise.

Any questions?

Corvinus

Arcane
Attempting to rank any Mass Effect game is futile, because the best thing about them will always be the corresponding Codex thread!

I wonder if this one will feature horrors gruesome enough to trump the sweat-obsessed Talimancers of old. So far it's looking good!

Rated "M" for sgc_meltdown
tumblr_lv5aabZKin1qdn2zy.jpg

FlamingMelonlord-486558-Once_You_Go_Krogan.png

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Going purely by gameplay I'd say ME:A>ME2>ME3>ME1
ME2 better gameplay than ME3? 2 was decent shooter, but 3 was so good I finished it multiple times just for that.
ME3 loses lots and lots of points deducted for taking your gameplay away from you and then deciding some guy in a cutscene is immune to all the bullets you put into him during the shootout 30 seconds earlier. That shit's annoying. If I get someone's health bar down to zero they should stop being alive unless for final-act-of-revenge shots-in-the-face-of-minor-characters. But yeah, you're probably right.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
ME3 loses lots and lots of points deducted for taking your gameplay away from you and then deciding some guy in a cutscene is immune to all the bullets you put into him during the shootout 30 seconds earlier. That shit's annoying. If I get someone's health bar down to zero they should stop being alive unless for final-act-of-revenge shots-in-the-face-of-minor-characters. But yeah, you're probably right.
You are speaking of reason why ME3 is shit, not about gameplay. I don't consider these retarded moments true gameplay.

Keppo

Arbiter
It is easy to rank Mass Effect series.

Mass Effect 3 - Playing right now, gameplay best in the series, everything else is worse. Story sucks, characters are copy pasta from ME 1/2 and the new ones suck dick, locations sucks dick, they are terrible and boring, etc etc. (DLC's locations wise and even story wise are better than main game, which saying not that much because these DLC's are definetly not "very good" but at least improving main game.)

Mass Effect 2 - Focus on waifus/romances, and companion based story/quests. Story is mediocre because they focused on companions, but imho still more addicive and better than in Mass Effect 3 where story is boring and predictable and cliche "Safe the earth! Safe the GALAXY! Shepard PLOX! Subpar gameplay compared to ME 3, better locations than in ME 3 , and worse locations than in ME 1.

Mass Effect 1 - played long time ago so i dont remember that much, but story wise, atmosphere/mood and soundtrack wise, even locations wise is the best Mass Effect. I dont remember how the gameplay feel but most probably worse than ME 3.

Its depending what u are looking in papamole AAA RPGs. For me the gameplay is the last thing, because even "good" gameplay in Action RPG mostly is subpar compared to CRPGs or games like XCOM, or even normal action games which are actually focusing on making the "action" gameplay, and not wasting time on the RPG part. In Action RPG devs are split in making action sections in the game and RPG sections/systems what ends up with both being mediocre/unpolished/unfocused/subpar/shit.

Revenant

Polygon provides the In-depth coverage - "Mass Effect's most bangable aliens, ranked": https://archive.fo/lU6HN

garme jurnalizm!1
Kotaku - Here's How Mass Effect: Andromeda Handles Sex and Romance: http://archive.is/zKw8O
Arse Technica - The correct alien sex choices in the Mass Effect trilogy: http://archive.is/gek4h
Autostraddle - Mass Effect Characters, Ranked By Bangability: http://archive.is/VGX9E
:abyssgazer:
Why... Just, why?

Sex sells.. but who's buying.
was actually listening to that album when I read the post

donkeymong

Scholar

donkeymong

Scholar
The protheans build a one way relay. Shepard could have found and decipher their theories\plans . This could have led to an understandingof the tech, maybee even way to build own full funtioning ones, "reprogramming the old ones" and with that to prevent the arrival of the Reapers in the galaxy. Or at least an advantage in the coming war, with the
Reapers energy reserves reeuced and the possigility to isolate them from eachother.

They figured out how to build a relay, that was their crowing achievement ... then the Repears appeared and wiped then out. Again there is nothing to find with the Protheans, they dont have the answers.
Control of the Relays was part of the answer. The Reapers used it to isolate the civilisations from eachother, wiping them all out one by one. Now imagine if this weapon could be turned against the Reapers, isolating and trapping them through
control of the relays.
It is easy to rank Mass Effect series.

Mass Effect 3 - Playing right now, gameplay best in the series, everything else is worse. Story sucks, characters are copy pasta from ME 1/2 .

Actually Mass Effect 3 characters were the best because they actually interacted with eachother and didnt exist for Shepard alone, like in the previous game which didnt even team meetings like in the first one.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Im fascinated by people who seriously claim that ME1 or any ME game had anything more then mediocre at best plot. Probably the same autists who voted ME 1 on Codex Top 70 RPGs list.

Comparing plots of ME games is like comparing different types of shit.

DeepOcean

Arcane
ME 1 was an attempt from Bioware into making a sci fi RPG/shooter, it had major flaws, the main antagonist was an overdramatic cunt, the shooting mechanics were loose, the squad mate Ai was atrocious, the Mako sections a complete waste of time, the planets you could "explore" a complete waste of time and the story devolved into retarded unoriginal crap "We are a race of evil Space Machine Cuthullus, bow before us!" Most locations with exception of the Citadel are uninteresting, like generic base on ice planet, like generic base on jungle planet, like planet full of generic ruins...

However, there were some moments or brillance, the art style was well done, the idea of humans being the new kids on the block and tension building up because of their rise, the hints of inter species backstabbing, the whole genophage idea of the Salarians using genetic engineering on the Kroogans, there were moments like your interaction with the Rachini queen and the exploration of Citadel station that were well done.

When I started playing Mass Effect 1 I tought Saren was some badass Turian ultra nationalist that wanted to fuck the humans really good what would make him a truly great villain with understandable motivations but of course the epic childish "We are a race of evil Space Machine Cuthullus, bow before us!" plot made him a retard tool. I like Mass Effect 1 more like a potential for a good series than as a game.

ME 2 was a major change in direction from ME 1 for good or worse. The major problems of Mass Effect 2 is that some key writers that made Mass Effect 1 left Bioware, so that interesting theme of humans being the new kids on the block with rising tensions was mostly gone, Citadel inter species politics was mostly left abandoned and all the interesting major universe story arcs were abandoned. It is like the new writers completely drop off the direction Mass Effect 1 was going and got on with their own stuff.

They decided to focus mostly on that childish space Cuthulu plot as the main plot but as there was yet another game to be made on the trilogy, they came with an generic evil race to be the filler bad guys while the real bad guys didn't show up yet. The major plotline for Mass Effect 2 is just awful through and through.

It was a major lost on potential and a change of direction that would only make the major plot of the series even worse by Mass Effect 3. However, not everything was bad, Mass Effect 1 had so so characters but Mass Effect 2 introduced alot of characters, some with even truly well done characterizations, they expanded the universe as well with much more interesting locations to visit than Mass Effect 1 and people can shit all they want on Bioware but they made their best characters really well integrated with their enviroment and believable motivations, Mordin and Garrus especially on Omega were great examples that Bioware could stop shitting the bed and do good writing if they tried hard at it.

In terms of gameplay, the shooting was far more enjoyable, some people hate the changes they did but the shooting on ME 1 was just way too clunky and we aren't talking of Deus Ex here where shooting was optional and having loose shooting mechanics made sense, the only thing you could do on Mass Effect is to shoot dudes on the face on corridors, it was way less on the RPG side than Deus Ex was and shooting dudes on the face with those clunky mechanics for hours was tiresome to the extreme.

Mass Effect 3 is where the awful major plotlines moments of Mass Effect 1 and 2 came together and created an atomic explosion of crap that doesn't make any sense, what is a pity because the shooting is the best in the series and is genuinely fun for the first time and there are some really well made moments with some characters especially on Tuchanka.

It is funny, to me, playing the Mass Effect series is like to be that hobo rummaging through a dumpster and having to push out all the trash to find the edible bits. The worse part being the romances, I think romances should be banned from games because they always are made by people still stuck on the teenager years for mentally retarded people still stuck on the teenage years. They do real damage to the characters too, especially when you believe on this SJW crap, you turn every single character a bisexual to pander disgusting subhuman retards that think this isn't absolute retardation. This is even worse on a sci fi game with alien species because you end up anthropomorphising them to the point of ridiculous as evident on that pink alien romance, it becomes comedic stuff, you could replace that pink alien with a talking horse and the result would be the same.

Mass Effect Prospermeda looks like some game made by some complacent yes men that EA placed on Bioware. They just gone with some stuff they tought was Mass Effect iconic and made a big checkbox list, "MAJESTIC MYSTERIOUS advanced lost alien civilization.", check, "Romance with ridiculous comical anthropomorphic aliens." , check, but this time with open world gameplay as EA wants an Assassins Creed of its own for years. You can notice no one, nowhere even stop a second to reflect and form a coherent vision of anything.

The EA machine can't think, it can only assimilate and regurgitate things. I really hope they rebrand Bioware to EA Edmond and stop the farce Bioware still exist.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Im fascinated by people who seriously claim that ME1 or any ME game had anything more then mediocre at best plot.
Mediocre compared to fucking what? a book?
The plot of ME1 was 1st) coherent, which is a fucking achivement for games nowadays. 2) consistent, with everything explained. 3) that reinforced the themes and gave us a chance to explore the world (all those missions to ruins and the uncovering of old civilizations gave us a pretty good idea of how the world and politics worked 4) set up interesting villains and ideas that while fairly standard for sci fi productions still work (cerberus, the geth, the idea of AI rebelling in general, the criminal underworld) 5) fairly new ideas like the quarians, the citadel and how it was used.

It may not have been at the top, but it was far from being the norm, and nowadays its actually even better than when it came out by comparison, with how the market has transformed.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Im fascinated by people who seriously claim that ME1 or any ME game had anything more then mediocre at best plot.
Mediocre compared to fucking what? a book?
The plot of ME1 was 1st) coherent, which is a fucking achivement for games nowadays. 2) consistent, with everything explained. 3) that reinforced the themes and gave us a chance to explore the world (all those missions to ruins and the uncovering of old civilizations gave us a pretty good idea of how the world and politics worked 4) set up interesting villains and ideas that while fairly standard for sci fi productions still work (cerberus, the geth, the idea of AI rebelling in general, the criminal underworld) 5) fairly new ideas like the quarians, the citadel and how it was used.

It may not have been at the top, but it was far from being the norm, and nowadays its actually even better than when it came out by comparison, with how the market has transformed.

Thats bullshit, sure you could say that there were few good moments in the story but thats the same for pretty much any shit game ever made. Just because some shit is more "coherent" and "consistent" then other shit it still doesnt make it anything more then shit, and having low standards is hardly something to be proud of.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom