Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Life is Strange [5 episodes of Gone Home]

Modron

Arcane
Why would I try Gone Home? I've already seen all five minutes of it on Youtube.

Just figured you were in a mood to punish yourself, I mean otherwise why would you play this?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
"Time travel" and "good story" are antonyms.

Day_of_the_Tentacle_artwork.jpg

Deleted member 7219

Life is Strange is definitely one of the most overrated games I've ever played, and definitely one where the player character is utterly forgettable, and the other main character is utterly detestable.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Why would I try Gone Home? I've already seen all five minutes of it on Youtube.

Just figured you were in a mood to punish yourself, I mean otherwise why would you play this?

I am still trying to figure it out. I feel like an addict coming off a heroin high and finding himself laying in his own shit and vomit trying to figure out what life choices brought him here.

Lemming42

Arcane
Why are people complaining about Chloe being a prick? That's the whole point, she's selfish and moody, not to mention the weird horrifying thing where she uses you as a Rachel substitute. You're not necessarily meant to think she's wonderful.

Max Stats

Liturgist
Life is Strange wanted to be Twin Peaks so bad it must feel like a dream come true to the developers.

Deadly Premonition did it a lot better even though its not really a good game. Swery really got the TP craziness down, though.

"Time travel" and "good story" are antonyms.

Space Quest 4. Back to the Future. At least the first two Terminator movies. Quantum Leap. Bill & Ted.

Deleted member 7219

Why are people complaining about Chloe being a prick? That's the whole point, she's selfish and moody, not to mention the weird horrifying thing where she uses you as a Rachel substitute. You're not necessarily meant to think she's wonderful.

Lots of people seem to like her.

Lemming42

Arcane

Lots of people seem to like her.

A lot of the story is just a character study of Chloe in regards to her friendship with Max and why she's become so jealous and posessive, so the game fleshes Chloe out enough to give you plenty of reasons to sympathize with or like her (not that you have to). I'm just not sure why her abrasiveness is being used as a criticism of the game's writing, and I think the story works just as well if you dislike Chloe all the way through.

bddevil

Educated
You know what's funny ? As shit the writing is and as desperately David Lynch-y and edgy this wants to be, at its core it's still a better adventure game than most of telltale shit and dreamfall chapters. Simply because devs avoided the cutscene-to-cutscene noninteractive telltale shit and the 'big and empty city with nothing to do' like dreamfall. It's linear as shit but the small locations allow for good exploration and there's plenty of hotspots for back stories and tidbits.

I wish some good writing makes it into this concept so we have something at least semi-interactive in the pop 'adventure' gaming nowadays.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

RuySan

Augur
You'all have terrible taste. Life is Strange is great. If you were expecting exploration go play daggerfall. Loved this shit. Arcadia Bay looks a lot like the place I grew up, and the whole vibe and atmosphere is top notch. There's also some great reactivity (for adventure game standards...don't do expecting some Bloodlines level of quality on that department).

People all say Twin Peaks, but the movie this mostly reminds me of is Goonies, which was definitely my favourite while growing up. So yeah, the memberberries are strong in this one, so it's probably a very personal thing of why I love this thing so much.

I actually complained about this game's dialogue, when it first came out, to a highschool kid attending the same gym as myself that I occasionally talked about video games with. He asked what the big issue was, and I referenced how frequently the game used words like "hella" to sound hip and cool. He informed me that this was how people at his highschool actually spoke.

I'm not really sure what that says about Life is Strange (beyond that the frequent complaint of "unauthentic dialogue" is incorrect; even if one would argue that the dialogue is poorly written, that would ultimately be a separate argument) but I am certain that it spells doom for the human race if anyone is speaking like that.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
Spoilers should go in spoiler tags
I got this thing for like $2.00 on the Microsoft XBox 360 Video Game & Home Entertainment Console and to any future souls who make it to this page in the thread, all the bad stuff said about this game is correct, and all of the good stuff is incorrect. The fact that anyone is so desperate for storyfaggotry that they Stockholm syndrome themselves into saying this is anything but laborious, odious tripe is beyond comprehension. Beyond imagination! Beyond time!

I wish I could rewind time and break my controller so I couldn't play it.

I also bought Dungeon Siege III for like $3.00.

For anyone who hasn't played it or has just started, I hope I can save you valuable time in your lives:

The teacher is the murderer and he killed the Rachel girl. Also he did this for no reason and has a murderbunker like a cartoon bad guy on a lesser episode of a CSI spinoff.

Also my game glitched so he appeared with gunshot wounds on his torso whenever he showed up in the classroom again, which was probably the best part of the game because it looked like he spilled pasta sauce on his chest.

There was a lot of potential. I have a lot of complicated thoughts on why it sucks so badly, but it's like a three year old game and nobody cares.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boleskine

Arcane
I was in the mood to listen to some music from the game. A comment on one of the videos depressed the hell out of me.

Sangster Gangster8 months ago
This game is a life changer, it makes you see the world in a different perspective. Even though I haven't played the game myself (I really want to in the near future) I only watched Jacksepticeye play it but I still got the experience. I absolutely loved everything about this game, from the art style to the actually story line. Well done, creators... Well done..

vonAchdorf

Arcane
If anyone still cares, the game's coming out on mobile this week.

In very exciting news, you will no longer need to leave the Life is Strange universe behind when you leave the house. Life is Strange is coming to mobile! The first season will be available on Apple iOS starting December 14th with exclusive new features, available now for pre-order. If you’re on Android, you can look forward to the mobile game’s release in early 2018.

We’ve adapted the first game for mobile platforms and hope that the award winning, five-episode narrative-driven Life is strange will set new standards for the adventure genre on mobile platforms. You will also be able to experience the game with Unreal Engine 4 enhancements and iOS optimization, making it even better than you remember. On top of this, there will be new features such as an in-app photo mode, making the game even more interactive than before, and exclusive iMessage stickers to enhance your texts with friends instead of using Emojis. So whether you’ve never played a Life is Strange game or are a devout fan, there is something for you here.

Episodes one to three will be available straight away to binge on and episodes four to five can be expected Q1 2018. This is an awesome opportunity to relive the feeling of the first game in a new and intimate way. The app makes it easier to enjoy Life is Strange with your friends and share your choices with them, as well as having access to the universe whenever and wherever you want.

Tl;dr? Here are the features exclusive to the mobile version of Life is Strange.

• Exclusive Life is Strange iMessage Stickers.
  • An all-new Photo Mode that allows you to take pictures, modify them with filters and share them easily.
  • Enhanced user interface for full-touch screen integration.
  • Share and compare your story choices with friends via social media.
We can’t wait to see what you have to say about the new adaptation!

The Life is Strange team

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
If people here haven't played Beyond the Storm yet you should really do so, it's a different writing team and engine and it's better in every way and it also makes Chloe a really good character.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Is there something to the story besides the teenage drama? I did play and enjoy Life Is Strange, but that was despite the teenage drama.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom