Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Strategy with emphasis on hero units

Don Peste

Arcane
So?

SO?!

My bad for expressing enthusiasm at the idea of playing a new game on the Codex! I'll stick to zionist conspiracies, tranny pictures and nigger memes from here on out.
Where are you from? There are a few inexpensive copies on Ebay. Anyway, I would never suggest to easily find a different method to play it, while you wait for GOG to release it.

Lostpleb

Learned
Anyway, I would never suggest to easily find a different method to play it, while you wait for GOG to release it.
Word. The ship may have sailed for now, but the kat has just brought something in.

One more game I forgot to mention - Battle for Middle Earth II.

sshot0010.jpg

0014.jpg
The two story campaigns are pretty basic and straightforward, but there is some fun to be had with the Risk War of the Ring mode.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Warrior Kings had a pretty good campaign wi Artas (an all units) gainin effectiveness as they gained experience, character changed considerin what path you chose an gained unique powers. Under recognised game. Oh an Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat is pretty good for this an all.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Surprised no one mentioned Warlock. The hero units basically become gods in that game. Unfortunately, the AI isn't so hot at keeping theirs alive.

laclongquan

Arcane
Are you a pleb, ie Internet illiterate, or are you baiting? I am not sure which. In this day and age there's a bugger complaining they cant play a game not availble for sale...

What are you? Noob to the Net?

I find the lack of Sengoku Rance in this thread disturbing. Play it.

Also I've been playing Kohan recently. They heroes themselves are pretty barebone but for an RTS it has a nice economic system to build up and make heroic squads of powerful units. I rather like stuff like this (squads of powerful units arranged to plow through AI chaff) more appealing than games that simply have individual hero units that are OP because lol x digit HP and OHKOing everything.

Last edited:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ascencion to the Throne, Valkyrie?

It's kinda like King Bounty's, also another Russian game. Your hero running around on the screen to find battles. you can buy troops in certain events and locations. You can raise skills in level up and certain events. you actually can choose skills to raise your hero, or raise the buffs that other troops will enjoy.

You are limited in what troops you can command by skill Authority. You can choose to deploy 10 high-requirement-Authority troops like Valkyrie or Werewolf instead of 1000 dirtcheap Peasant or Militia. You can have different builds for your char based on those points: high level hero and few elit troops or massive army under a commander.

The battlefield and overworld environment is 3D as you can see.
pVEcW.jpg

AoTV is actually a remake game of its slightly older sibling AoT with the character running around on screen is a male. But this time the Russian want to strike at the heart of gamer by getting a nekkid amazon, and then tattooed amazon running.

Why did I abandon it? At a point in time the story has the girl change to the tattoo version instead of nekkid figure. What the hell, right?

Biggest problem? Lack of polishing in many aspect.
- take quest, for example. You have a quest where you get an NPC joined as a pretty good hero unit. There is no indication if you can get him to level up more if you skip having him leaving for greener pasture.
- Take levelup. Your wolf companion can rank up at certain point but it's hard to guess where and when.
- The English forum is just dismal. Very lacking in English communications between fans, and with devs.

EDIT: NOTE to fucking self
Belcanzor said:
By the way, remove the tattoos can be easily done just copying the original dds without tattoo over the other you char receive after you pass the warrior test.

Not really a remake...If you played the first one you'll come across the Valkyrie and a mage character later on. Valkyrie is the same overall story but from the point of view of second character of the three. You end up fighting different battles but at the end you actually fight the same assault from the perspective of the Valkyrie. I'm guessing there were plans to make a trilogy at the time with the Mage guy in his own game down the line.

The game is good, shame it's not on steam to complement the first one. I enjoyed going round, trying to pick battles and the limited hiring(as I recall the hireable units don't respawn) so from each location where you can recruit, there will be a finite number available and only way to get more would be to fight a battle that opens up a road to another camp etc. Obviously that means you can't just use units as fodder and have to pay attention. It is a bit rough, but that's to be expected from Russians so it's basically a meme these days.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ascencion to the Throne, Valkyrie?

It's kinda like King Bounty's, also another Russian game. Your hero running around on the screen to find battles. you can buy troops in certain events and locations. You can raise skills in level up and certain events. you actually can choose skills to raise your hero, or raise the buffs that other troops will enjoy.

You are limited in what troops you can command by skill Authority. You can choose to deploy 10 high-requirement-Authority troops like Valkyrie or Werewolf instead of 1000 dirtcheap Peasant or Militia. You can have different builds for your char based on those points: high level hero and few elit troops or massive army under a commander.

The battlefield and overworld environment is 3D as you can see.
pVEcW.jpg

AoTV is actually a remake game of its slightly older sibling AoT with the character running around on screen is a male. But this time the Russian want to strike at the heart of gamer by getting a nekkid amazon, and then tattooed amazon running.

Why did I abandon it? At a point in time the story has the girl change to the tattoo version instead of nekkid figure. What the hell, right?

Biggest problem? Lack of polishing in many aspect.
- take quest, for example. You have a quest where you get an NPC joined as a pretty good hero unit. There is no indication if you can get him to level up more if you skip having him leaving for greener pasture.
- Take levelup. Your wolf companion can rank up at certain point but it's hard to guess where and when.
- The English forum is just dismal. Very lacking in English communications between fans, and with devs.

EDIT: NOTE to fucking self
Belcanzor said:
By the way, remove the tattoos can be easily done just copying the original dds without tattoo over the other you char receive after you pass the warrior test.

Not really a remake...If you played the first one you'll come across the Valkyrie and a mage character later on. Valkyrie is the same overall story but from the point of view of second character of the three. You end up fighting different battles but at the end you actually fight the same assault from the perspective of the Valkyrie. I'm guessing there were plans to make a trilogy at the time with the Mage guy in his own game down the line.

The game is good, shame it's not on steam to complement the first one. I enjoyed going round, trying to pick battles and the limited hiring(as I recall the hireable units don't respawn) so from each location where you can recruit, there will be a finite number available and only way to get more would be to fight a battle that opens up a road to another camp etc. Obviously that means you can't just use units as fodder and have to pay attention. It is a bit rough, but that's to be expected from Russians so it's basically a meme these days.
Dude, isn't there a medieval Mount and Blade + total war hybrid that you recommended in some post long ago... Forgot its name but you basically had some knight character on the map and you have him lead battles and shit.
Not many rpg+rts games that let you create/customize your own hero unit though, are there? Other than AoW, fucking Fallen Enchantress, and spellforce.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dude, isn't there a medieval Mount and Blade + total war hybrid that you recommended in some post long ago... Forgot its name but you basically had some knight character on the map and you have him lead battles and shit.
Not many rpg+rts games that let you create/customize your own hero unit though, are there? Other than AoW, fucking Fallen Enchantress, and spellforce.

Yeah that was another 'roughie' by Russians :) It was 1242: Northern Crusades. Not to be confused with 1242 which was more a series of TW style handcrafted battles. In NC, you indeed are like a knight on a M&B style of overland map where you go do quests(initially linear until you get more freedom)and raise armies to fight in TW style battles. I liked it enough though like all Russian games, they have limitations and one is left with a 'if only they had more money' feelz. Even so it's worth a go. Your mileage may vary of course.

I'm trying to go through my list to see if there's other games that do the hero thing that might have been overlooked here...

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh right! Real Warfare: the northern crusades. That was the name. Haven't tried it yet, hear tell it's a bit buggy.

Aothan

Magister
I played Dawn of War II multiplayer as a quasi-hack n slash for a few years, most commander (hero) units are customisable in different ways via equipment upgrades and levels can improve their overall capabilities to a noticeable extent. Additionally some factions have advanced or special subcommander units depending on what 'buildings' are available which can add another level of hero units to a strategy game. For example Lictors in the Tyrannid army which were mostly overlooked to field the more enduring Carnifex but for cost almost two Lictors could be mobilised and their natural stealth and spike dps meant they could get behind late-game tanks to really good effect. There is still a constant source of online games day and night on the official servers for those interested

another Warhammer game with multiple hero units and rpg elements is Mark of Chaos, great game that was compromised from the beginning but had an small yet constant community that organised a few rules to ensure balanced games. The community is long since lost but if you are looking for single player experiences the are campaign and skirmish modes available

there is also Dawn of War III next month which could be good or not but will probably at least be enjoyable for fun for a few months of online play

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
fair enough then

I've also found a good deal on Armies of Exigo, will compare them back to back

Cadmus

Arcane
I second the Heroes of Might and Magic IV and Battle for Middle Earth 1 and 2.

Homam4 is much more hero focused than 3 and while the game doesn't give you any roleplaying options, you are in effect playing a sort of strategy RPG where the heroes are concerned.
BfME (what a shit acronym) is much less focused on any hero development but the heroes are powerful and fun and the game's combat system (huge armies that die easily) favors the use of strong heroes that can make batallions of orcs fly through the air. Fun game

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Homam4 is much more hero focused then 3 and while the game doesn't give you any roleplaying options, you are in effect playing a sort of strategy RPG where the heroes are concerned.

I've played a little of HoMM IV and yeah, I like that aspect of it. This games seems to be universally reviled among fans though, dunno why.

Cadmus

Arcane
Homam4 is much more hero focused then 3 and while the game doesn't give you any roleplaying options, you are in effect playing a sort of strategy RPG where the heroes are concerned.

I've played a little of HoMM IV and yeah, I like that aspect of it. This games seems to be universally reviled among fans though, dunno why.
Only among some fans. It's cuz it's different. I like it the best of them all. You can do crazy shit with the heroes.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Digging WCIII so far. I can see a point coming where the RTS thing will get too hectic for my tastes, but then I'm not exactly a completionist anyway.

I was wrong about the graphics though, I thought this was a 2006 game for some reason. Looking bretty gud for a game from 2002.

laclongquan

Arcane

Only among some fans. It's cuz it's different. I like it the best of them all. You can do crazy shit with the heroes.

Kinda like Fallout Tactics was reviled once among Fallout fans. because they want something along the line of Fallout 1 and 2, they dont expect the next game to JA2.

So yeah, HoMM3 fans might be repulsed by a RPG-lite strategy like HoMM4

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was about to rate you a retard for that.
But then I saw there are sheep in this game.
No game with sheep can possibly be bad.

They seem to be the most developed species in Royal Heroes, hosting gladiator games to please them.

grudgebringer

Kohan series. I already mentioned it several times on these forums, but these two games are really underappreciated. If you hate microing in Blizzard type of RTSes and all the frantic arcade action, then Kohan requires very little babysitting in combat. Instead it emphasizes your attention over more meta elements of the game like armies management, economy and resources.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom