Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It seems like the animations are making them get off the hook a bit.

This is something that happens with a lot of games. Criticism of the lowest common denominator. Deus Ex: Human Revolution's big problem was "boss battles", NWN2 sucked because of "the camera" and Dragon Age 2 was bad because "area reuse". As if those games would have been perfect otherwise and they didn't have plenty of other issues.

It's something the Codex should always be on guard against.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
So far I only see Codex being about abusing one problem to the limits and almost ignore the rest.

The story and characterization are juvenile, fanfiction-quality trash "written" by talentless hacks. I didn't need to be Zarathustra to predict that, even before any of the footage aired.

The political agenda shoehorning and virtue-signalling are obnoxious and off-putting to anyone sane. Again, you don't have to be Zarathustra to predict that. It was guaranteed.

The gameplay is bottom-of-the-barrel console popamole made for people who "just want to relax after a long day at work" (at Walmart, most likely).

EA is the publisher, so the game's only available through Origin. That alone is a dealbreaker that today's latest batch of console kiddies have been groomed to believe is completely normal.

The reason you see Codexers "ignoring" the above is simply because they're a given. They don't even bear discussing, because everyone already knows the score. The animations being terrible and incompetent is just the cherry on top.

Dexter I appreciate the response:D

You're right that I was getting a little autisticly obessed in the hopes of slaying Bioware. I've stated before though that Biowares importance to EA is minimal, but I thought that because the stock was so high a disaster in this game may undermine EA to some extent, especially when they predicted week one sales of 3 million, anyway it'll all come out in time, so I lay off mentioning it again.
Also I do think it reasonable to question their develoment figure of $40million as it dosen't seem likely. And I was being conservative in my wild guess as to the marketing. Again we'll see in time.

I think I only posted a couple of times on 8chan asking if someone with Twitter would conact Tassi or Kain to see why the site wasn't allowing comments on an inflammitary article that was pretending to allow comments on it's site. I felt that was a fair question to ask them given the nature of that article and though you have no right to comment on anything on a private site. I think it was bad form of them to pretend to allow comments. That's why I tested to see if they allowed them in the next article.

Anyway thanks for your reply. And I apologise to you and Hoaxmetal for giving you shit, which was unnecessary and I'll lay of on the autistic pills and stock and business stuff because as you say all I am doing is making guesses and we'll see what happens with the sales figures, game costs etc. somewhere down the line anyway.

All the best.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
rhUFUP4.jpg
TKCTLsa.png

Dexter

Arcane
You're right that I was getting a little autisticly obessed in the hopes of slaying Bioware. I've stated before though that Biowares importance to EA is minimal, but I thought that because the stock was so high a disaster in this game may undermine EA to some extent, especially when they predicted week one sales of 3 million, anyway it'll all come out in time, so I lay off mentioning it again.
Also I do think it reasonable to question their develoment figure of $40million as it dosen't seem likely. And I was being conservative in my wild guess as to the marketing. Again we'll see in time.
Speculating about Sales numbers, especially when a product sucks is great fun and rubbing it into BioDrones faces is great fun too, I still remember Dragon Age 2: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.274668-Dragon-Age-2-Sales and the gloating/trolling on BSN and similar, but there's gotta be something there there to be able to do so (and a nice looking chart as comparison or similar with previous products is helpful, might even make it to an outlet or two). But you actually need at least the week 1 and preferrably first month/ten weeks numbers. Also any repercussions on their stocks or studios are likely to come when they have to face investors asking questions about their sales predictions not matching up again (they were probably confident about making that early 3 million in sales, or they wouldn't have made it a press release) and potential losses incurred during quarterly reports, or if they get really bad mainstream/financial press.

Regarding the development budget of Mass Effect: Andromeda, nobody publicly knows so far, it was produced by the newly created studio BioWare Montreal with an (almost entirely) new development team and took over 5 years to develop. Afaik the people going around and claiming that it cost $40 million to develop on GameFAQs/9Gag/VOAT/Linus Tech Tips or wherever are taking the estimated $40 million budget of Mass Effect 3 and comparing it to that: https://www.fool.com/investing/gene...res-mass-effect-4-gamer-survey-was-a-bad.aspx
From a business perspective, it's not hard to see why Bioware wants to test the waters by surveying gamers first. EA only sold 2.3 million copies of Dragon Age II -- a 49% decline from the first game, Dragon Age: Origins. That kind of decline, driven by lackluster reviews and negative word of mouth, is what EA desperately wants to avoid with Dragon Age: Inquisition and Mass Effect 4.

EA is also considering the dilemma of rising costs. Mass Effect 4, a next generation title, will probably cost much more than Mass Effect 3, which had an estimated production budget of $40 million. EA clearly wants some assurance that Bioware isn't going to alienate hardcore fans with jarring shifts in gameplay or narrative.

But in any way, this might kill another "BioWare" studio or two or at least cause some layoffs, but will not do too much damage to EA, when even the much more important/critical to their long-term strategy and ambitious TORTanic, which they predicted would do World of WarCraft numbers and supposedly cost them over $200 million to develop with 800 staffers over 6 years didn't break their neck much: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/s...lic-cost-200-million-to-develop/1100-6348959/

Last edited:

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
What are these Pathfinders actually for? They've already identified the 7 planets or whatever before they left, and if they've the technology to identify specific planets from another fucking galaxy, why do they need to physically go down to a planet that's right there in front of them? Just scan it and send a probe down or some shit. What's a single person on foot going to do? Find a nice place for a cabbage patch?

Jarmaro

Liturgist
What are these Pathfinders actually for? They've already identified the 7 planets or whatever before they left, and if they've the technology to identify specific planets from another fucking galaxy, why do they need to physically go down to a planet that's right there in front of them? Just scan it and send a probe down or some shit. What's a single person on foot going to do? Find a nice place for a cabbage patch?
They are kinda Sherif from Wild West, help people, make places safe to let people make homes, kill anything dangereous, be the leaders when others are dead. Bioware's "man that gets power and respect beceause of random event" cliche.
Look at line #4

Edit: Wait, no one actually mentioned it before so I will check list:

1. We are son/daughter of ex N-7 who's pathfinder, we were trained and had job, but nothing really unusall. (Yellow)
2. After arriving to Andromeda, it turns out that Planet isn't as it should. We fight with mysterious aliens on the surface (Blue)
3. and 4. Our father dies and gives us super Pathfinder identity, so far our team is Biotic(magic) Cora and Soldier Liam.(Blue)
5. We visit 5 planets (other are speacial little locations for quests and two Big Hubs, Angaraa city and Nexus.)(Blue)
6. Our mission is to make new home for humanity, Keet are our enemy.(Blue)
7. (I don't know anything about such thing as I didn't watch entire game, so consider this empty)
8. We are exploring Reamnats buildings and tombs entire game, it's part of main quest.(Blue)

Bioware, Bioware never changes.

tumblr_n4g8cgCuBt1sj12u8o1_1280.jpg

Last edited:

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
They are kinda Sherif from Wild West, help people, make places safe to let people make homes, kill anything dangereous, be the leaders when others are dead. Bioware's "man that gets power and respect beceause of random event" cliche.
Look at line #4

But wasn't one of the NPCs going about Pathfinders needing to have pathfound (ugh) something? Are they supposed to have space magic powers to find things that a ship full of scanners can't? And surely they have some sort of security forces. Plus they sound like they get treated with such reverence. Maybe everyone else is just really lazy and useless. But then why would they get sent on this sort of mission? There's got to be some ridiculous bullshit excuse for why you're the special chosen one and Pathfinders are so super duper.

Sykar

Arcane
Look at line #4

Edit: Wait, no one actually mentioned it before so I will check list:

1.We are son/daughter of ex N-7 who's pathfinder, we were trained and had job, but nothing really unusall. (Yellow)
2.After arriving to Andromeda, it turns out that Planet isn't as it should. We fight with mysterious alien on the surface (Blue)
3. and 4. Our father dies and gives us super Pathfinder identity, so far our team is Biotic(magic) Cora and Soldier Liam.(Blue)
5.We visit 5 planets (other are speacial little locations for place and two Big Hubs, Angaraa city and Nexus.)(Blue)
6.Our mission is to make new home for humanity, Keet are our enemy.(Blue)
7. (I don't know anything about such thing as I didn't watch entire game, so consider this empty)
8.We are exploring Reamnats buildings and tombs entire game, it's part of main quest.(Blue)

Bioware, Bioware never changes.

Ok while a lot of that chart is right, trying to divide Baldur's Gate into 4 "hubs" is really stretching it for both games.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
But wasn't one of the NPCs going about Pathfinders needing to have pathfound (ugh) something? Are they supposed to have space magic powers to find things that a ship full of scanners can't? And surely they have some sort of security forces. Plus they sound like they get treated with such reverence. Maybe everyone else is just really lazy and useless. But then why would they get sent on this sort of mission? There's got to be some ridiculous bullshit excuse for why you're the special chosen one and Pathfinders are so super duper.
Of course it's just an excuse(look my check list from edited post) but I actaully can defend it on some points:
We are pathfinders not only to "find", but to build, investigate and eventually defend too.
We are traveling with Tempest that doesn't look quite as Scanner ship, despite planet scanning, so we can assume that there isn't such thing in ME universe.
Of course you can send forces, but it's colonization mission so there aren't many such forces, plus we are best of the best, scouts work in little teams anyway.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Alien buttsex.

Seriously now, this Bioware. What else do expect besides being The Chosen One for no reason but herp and an occasional derp?

Well in the first one it was more like being in the right place at the right time, and you had to actually do some work before they made you a spectre. In the second one, well, you're Commander Fucking Shepard, so nothing else is required. Third one I know nothing about other than it's shit. I thought that possibly there was perhaps small chance that there was maybe some sort of reason why you're so awesome and great and totally important and no one else can do... whatever it is you're doing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Krivol

Magister
Could anyone put the story of MEA in a nutshell? I know only that animations and SJW shit are bad in this game, but have no idea aobut story...

In before "It's all about fucking alien species"

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Could anyone put the story of MEA in a nutshell? I know only that animations and SJW shit are bad in this game, but have no idea aobut story...

Daddy dies and in a fit of nepotism promotes you to The Most Important Person in the Galaxy. Sort of how women get promoted today but without the customary blowjob since it was her dad in charge.

After that you go to the 4 worlds and do shit with old tech to make them livable all while killing the natives and fucking alien species.

To be fair I don't have the game nor have I watched any video of it beyond the clips posted here so maybe none of what I wrote is true. Or maybe its so true that it just blows your mind. But probably not.

Well in the first one it was more like being in the right place at the right time, and you had to actually do some work before they made you a spectre. In the second one, well, you're Commander Fucking Shepard, so nothing else is required. Third one I know nothing about other than it's shit. I thought that possibly there was perhaps small chance that there was maybe some sort of reason why you're so awesome and great and totally important and no one else can do... whatever it is you're doing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Shepard is probably the worst example of this. He doesn't actually do or possess anything some other soldier couldn't to become or continue as a Grey Warden Spectre (apparently, the only Spectre left in the galaxy too) - all he has going for him is being player-controlled and immortal by the grace of save scumming.
At least in Jade Empire you were the prodigal student and were the best choice under the circumstances, however trope-ridden they may have been.
Just roll with it - it's all par for the course.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Your dad dies and plants Deus Ex Machina AI in your brain.

You need to find a habitable world.

All the worlds seem to be uninhabitable, but thankfully 4 out of 5 of them just happen to have the giant ancient alien terraformers from Total Recall on them.

Collector-like aliens are there too attacking you.

You meet big, muscly, pink aliens and maybe have sex with them.

Turns out the collector-like aliens are dna manipulators and can turn the pink aliens into them.

Your sibling gets kidnapped by the boss evil alien because xhe also has Deus Ex Machina AI and the big bad needs it for something.

You go to some sort big perfect world and duke it out with the boss evil alien, killing it and taking all their land for yourself.

Now you have all the oil.

Colonialism is ok, so long as you are diverse and multicultural when you do it.

didn't play it, but this is what I know from vids
yes, I spoilered this instead of the spoilers cuz this game is trash :M

donkeymong

Scholar
Alien buttsex.

Seriously now, this Bioware. What else do expect besides being The Chosen One for no reason but herp and an occasional derp?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

After the dead of Saren, Shepard was the only one left that understood the language of the Protheans. That could have been used as as plot device to find clues about ways to defeat the Reapers. But Biofail gave us Mass Effect 2 instead, where Shepard wasted his time with solving daddy issues and massacring mercs.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Of course it's just an excuse(look my check list from edited post) but I actaully can defend it on some points:
We are pathfinders not only to "find", but to build, investigate and eventually defend too.
We are traveling with Tempest that doesn't look quite as Scanner ship, despite planet scanning, so we can assume that there isn't such thing in ME universe.
Of course you can send forces, but it's colonization mission so there aren't many such forces, plus we are best of the best, scouts work in little teams anyway.
Yeah, Pathfinders are just there because they copied the plot from the first Mass Effect, but tried remove the military aspect from the game.

Pathfinders = Specters.

That's it. Really.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Maybe everyone else is just really lazy and useless. But then why would they get sent on this sort of mission? There's got to be some ridiculous bullshit excuse for why you're the special chosen one and Pathfinders are so super duper.

Ship was full of ugly as hell womyn with pink hair, niggers and other Librul trash so its quite natural that only white cis man with military background (your Dad) was made the Chief of Security on this lets send all troublemakers and SJW nuts into space find new home for humanity mission. At the very start the asian wombyn Captain manages to hit giant energy cloud... She and her crew must have been busy reading tumbir posts it seems if anybody bothered to look outside those giant windows on the bridge. Heck I can bet your Dad bought N-7 armor in militarism store and was clerk in the army judging how ''brilliantly'' led the first mission is. :hero: Anyway after watching the first two hours of game I did had urge to storm the bridge and steer the arc into the sun... as only good for what it is character you meet outside your Dad is trashy blonde dyke tranny... and it was before pink bunny hoped in.

Freddie

Savant
Update on the Forbes article...

...Paul Tassii says the article is open for comment and he doesn't see a problem with the articlle:D

Anyway i tried to post again and again with no luck, so just ended up posting on the story below, the comment went through straight away. Basically now Forbes is a paid up EA marketing pamphlet. I gave them room but with the high reviews and positive press they gave the game. Not to mention the twisted goolgle searches (on last friday morning here I typed in Mass Effect Andromeda on google and all I got was articles ripping the animations to shreds, an hour later they all popped out of existance and were replaced by buying options and two glowing Forbes articles on the first page. Forbes is a brothel and Tassi and Kain are whores.
Holy crap... I just tried searching for Mass Effect Andromeda and with exception of few (very few) reviews from usual suspects, there are links to official Mass Effect resources and rest are almost all where to buy it.

In hour your say... if this happened how the hell did they pull it off? No offence but can anyone else verify this?

This is interesting because Google should customises search results. If you clicked lot of links leading to memes, etc. Google should prioritise those results higher in future searches. Other is trend, if trend is towards user generated content, that should show up in every search result somehow.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
But Biofail gave us Mass Effect 2 instead, where Shepard wasted his time with solving daddy issues and massacring mercs.
That kinda makes me wonder, how did they read crucible plans in ME3 if only Shepard knew the language? Even Liara, the specialist in Prothean, didn't

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom