Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Moonspeak Toukiden 2

Been playing Toukiden 2, it seems quite better than the first one. It has an open-world approach to the Monster Hunter formula and seems to be more story-driven. Looks ok and runs great (supports proper 60fps), except for the fact that it doesn't support resolutions above 1080p and doesn't do 16:10 properly (it stretches instead of letterboxing the preset 16:9 resolutions).

Anyone else playing?

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I played like 4-5 hours of Kiwami's demo, and I liked it, but not enough to pay its price knowing that 2 was going to be released soon.

The open world can be a good thing for this game. Maybe I get it if your impressions are very good.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Played about 3 hours. So far, I can't see how you couldn't possibly enjoy this one if you liked the first. Seemingly an improvement in every area.

Emmanuel2

Savant
Does anyone know how extensive the postgame is? I never played Kiwami but I heard that it has better postgame than the other MH Clones out there (minus SSD I think) so I'm thinking if this would be the same case.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Played about 3 hours. So far, I can't see how you couldn't possibly enjoy this one if you liked the first. Seemingly an improvement in every area.

I did enjoy the 1st one so that's cool to hear. Now to find some time to play it...

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Dat pricing tho. I know Koei Tecmo price their games consistently high because, well, they like to make money, but it sure does put off the curious buyer who might well like to try something but just can't justify shelling out £10 over the odds.

I always feel like KT are basically taking advantage of their hard core fans by pricing so high because they know damn well they'll buy it whatever. It sticks in my throat a bit and sways me away from buying.

I'm sticking it on the wishlist, but as I've just DL'd Monster Hunter 3 HD (english patched), I think diving into that on PPSSPP is a better option than shelling out 45 notes.

deama

Prophet
Too bad it doesn't have any decent KB+ M support.

That's par for the course considering Koei Tecmo, though. Unfortunate, but one of those cases of caveat emptor.

Hyperion

Arcane
Been watching some videos on it. My interest is piqued as the party play reminds me of a mix between Monster Hunter and Dragon's Dogma. What worries me is the game looks VERY spammy, and painfully easy, a common criticism of the previous games. Enemy AI looks kinda pathetic while you and your allies absolutely wail on them without remorse.

Last edited:

Emmanuel2

Savant
Been watching some videos on it. My interest is piqued as the party play reminds me of a mix between Monster Hunter and Dragon's Dogma. What worries me is the game looks VERY spammy, and painfully easy, a common criticism of the previous games. Enemy AI looks kinda pathetic while you and your allies absolutely wail on them without remorse.

So far, 6 hours in and on chapter 3, it is spammy and easy. But that's for all MH Clones that I've played which was SSD, RO:A, and God Eater until late postgame (endgame for SSD). From what I've read, Kiwami gets significantly harder on its version of G-rank. I'm expecting this one to be as well if the devs managed to improve on everything judging from the reviews.

EDIT: The AI will absolutely carry you unlike in the MH Clones, I always turned them off for the other other games (even the palicoes in MH) but you can't in the story mode of TK2. I suggest turning them off for offline/online Phase quests if you want to dip your toes.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
There's an infinite dungeon mode too, which aside from being pretty fun (non stop death matches with decent monsters) seems a step above the challenges the story gives you at the same time. Looking forward to pressing my luck further in there.

I really like the multipurpose rock system, gives an always useful reward for exploring and cuts down massively on needing to farm specific drops from enemies to make whatever weapon/armor catches your eye.

Does anyone know where the amulets and such drop? Haven't been able to upgrade Pico at all, haven't found a single one.

Exhuminator

Arcane
I bought this for Vita last week (physical copy). Who knows when the hell I'll play it, but I did my part to support the franchise at least.

I'm just a few hours in but the AI companions are sucking the fun out of the game for me. I hope it gets harder later on because everything is dying before I can reach it.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Generally speaking these kinds of games really take off once they start throwing more than one large monster at you at the same time. I'm in chapter 4 now though and they haven't gotten there yet, they're really dragging things out in that regard. Wondering if I should have just skipped to the online stuff.

Hyperion

Arcane
I took the fall and bought it. Probably a mistake since my copy of Persona 5 just arrived in the mail as well... that being said, I'm having a lot more fun with it than expected. I'm pretty much nowhere in the game, still trying to figure out mechanics, testing out some weapons here and there while exploring the map. Settled on the Gauntlets for now, even though their range is total shit. There's something EXTREMELY satisfying about standing between a gigantic monster's legs and repeatedly punching its gooch like a speed bag.

Little things like Imps, Blazing Souls, and Aurwings usually don't even require you to stop as the AI instantly destroy, then purify them.

Combat can get a little simplistic, but when you destroy some limbs and the Oni gets pissed off and aggressive you have to start playing a bit more defensive if you can't perma stun it through Destroyer attacks, and emptying your Unity Gauge.

Mitama combinations look like they'll lead to a lot of experimentation for building a character, but I'm sure there's 1 - 3 builds per weapon that function best. Can't wait to try some mutiplayer though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom