Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Horizon Zero Dawn - open world action-RPG from Guerilla Games - now on PC

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wonder why some here are $hilling for Horizon Turdo Dawn? don't fall for it codex

C61um98VAAARxnH.jpg:large

C61upi-V0AEvYOz.jpg:large
Stop interfering with me livelihood, I need to eat.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Pretty much what I expected from the Killzone devs. A bunch of guys who have only made mediocre console FPS games aren't going to break any new ground in the open world genre.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Pretty much what I expected from the Killzone devs. A bunch of guys who have only made mediocre console FPS games aren't going to break any new ground in the open world genre.
Do you speak from actual experience with the game or are you talking out of your ass? Because every single codexian who laid hands on it was actually pretty positive towards the game, which surprises me due to its popamole nature. I would be interested to hear some negative opinions also.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Finally finished the game...

• Game is just the right length, i think one of the problems of open world games is that they outstay they welcome and you get saturated of the setting and gameplay, Horizon finishes just when it should;
  • Little to no padding. You want to climb the tall necks (robot dinosaur walking towers), there are just 5, same for bandit camps, same for hunter trials, same dungeons, all optional;
  • The sidequests are well done and just the right amount, they make sense for the areas you are in, they are rarely fetch or kill quests, and have a story that is compelling and fits with Aloy's journey in the world;
  • The main questline is quite good, if you enjoy sci-fi you will fucking love the story. Right amount of mystery, and the player discovers it naturally... I was really impressed how humanity fucked it all up while following our current technological progression, and the solution they found for the problem was suitably out of left field and completely unexpected;
  • Combat is fun and responsive;
  • Game was gorgeous from start to end, the aesthetics of the world guerilla built will net them a long lasting franchise.
Overall, happy with my purchase which is the only thing i ask from a game.

The ingame screenshot tool is pretty cool as well

C65IpXpWkAAbZE-.jpg:large

17239750_10202988582593321_3280332108002947342_o.jpg

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Do you speak from actual experience with the game or are you talking out of your ass? Because every single codexian who laid hands on it was actually pretty positive towards the game, which surprises me due to its popamole nature. I would be interested to hear some negative opinions also.
You are saying that like it means something other than some Codexians are known retards.. or do I need to post that picture of Codexians playing Fo4 right after release?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Isn't procedurally placed or by A.I. algorithms the same thing ?
Depends on how you look at it.
Procedural generation is based on algorithms, of course.

But an AI goes beyond that IMO.
What I'm thinking of is more a "virtual level designer" marching through the landscape, analyzing it and placing trees, landmarks, quests, etc.

Of course, both approaches could be combined. Now, that would be interesting.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Am I the only to consider this game sexist? I watched entire game on youtube and I cannot remember one female antagonist. In this game almost every "good" npc is woman.
Most important character from the past, protagonist, almost every end game "companion"(people who assist us at the end), I don't recall killing any women beceause of plot, we kill them only when they are bandits or other filler.
Dunno if you had similiar feeling, but that's really usettling.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Am I the only to consider this game sexist? I watched entire game on youtube and I cannot remember one female antagonist. In this game almost every "good" npc is woman.
Most important character from the past, protagonist, almost every end game "companion"(people who assist us at the end), I don't recall killing any women beceause of plot, we kill them only when they are bandits or other filler.

Would you complain if it was the other way around? Would you ridicoule those complaints if they were brought up by feminists?

I didnt play the game so i dont know, but usually i am sceptical towards the "characters xyz are from gender x, therefor the game is sexist!" argument since a simple correlation does not necessarily showcase a political agenda or even a conscious thought behind it. Also it would limit artistic freedom greatly if developers would always be demanded to circumvent those accusations by using a cast that is strictly balanced between both genders.

Just look at the tantrum several SJWs threw because Witcher 3 had too many white people in it. Fuck that. Let them do their thing.

Jarmaro

Liturgist

Would you complain if it was the other way around? Would you ridicoule those complaints if they were brought up by feminists?

I didnt play the game so i dont know, but usually i am sceptical towards the "characters xyz are from gender x, therefor the game is sexist!" argument since a simple correlation does not necessarily showcase a political agenda or even a conscious thought behind it. Also it would limit artistic freedom greatly if developers would always be demanded to circumvent those accusations by using a cast that is strictly balanced between both genders.

Just look at the tantrum several SJWs threw because Witcher 3 had too many white people in it. Fuck that. Let them do their thing.
I know I may be over reacting, but it's really strange.
Other way around, recently I realized gothic 1 and 2 could be called sexist beceause women are nearly non-existant, but that stick to the world (classic medieval fantasy?) and I don't recall anyone bitch about it or even mentioning it.
Horizon on the other hand, has no reason to do such thing. That's just weird.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
evdk Kem0sabe A lot of people praise the story, but personally I've watched a few pieces of the first couple of hours (ending with the big event with Aloy leaving the tribe) and found it to be around Bioware-level of mediocrity. Writing was forgettable at best and just plainly bad at worst, pacing was all over the place, dialogue didn't sound natural at all (and there was an extreme unanny valley effect with how detailed the character models are vs their unsettlingly dead eyes and general mimicry), and I didn't find the whole setup to be very intriguing. Combined with the fact that combat against humans looked like CoD with bows, I walked away with the impression of this being your run-of-the-mill open world AAA game.

Does it get better? Does it actually have good storytelling, or just a good story *concept* executed poorly?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
evdk Kem0sabe A lot of people praise the story, but personally I've watched a few pieces of the first couple of hours (ending with the big event with Aloy leaving the tribe) and found it to be around Bioware-level of mediocrity. Writing was forgettable at best and just plainly bad at worst, pacing was all over the place, dialogue didn't sound natural at all (and there was an extreme unanny valley effect with how detailed the character models are vs their unsettlingly dead eyes and general mimicry), and I didn't find the whole setup to be very intriguing. Combined with the fact that combat against humans looked like CoD with bows, I walked away with the impression of this being your run-of-the-mill open world AAA game.

Does it get better? Does it actually have good storytelling, or just a good story *concept* executed poorly?
The story starts small and expands in scope, I do think that the concept and plot are better than the actual dialogue, but it was one of the best sci-fi stories in an rpg that I remember.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah the herpy derpy typical tribal village part in the beginning is really not even the tip of the iceberg. The game goes MUCH deeper into the post-apocalyptic world's backstory. Like I almost always wish games would.

Imagine seeing the first few minutes of Fallout on a YouTube video and trying to judge the story based on that.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Story is typical game story in way: Go somewhere to do something personal, not so much later realize you are changing entire world.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Yeah the herpy derpy typical tribal village part in the beginning is really not even the tip of the iceberg. The game goes MUCH deeper into the post-apocalyptic world's backstory. Like I almost always wish games would.

Imagine seeing the first few minutes of Fallout on a YouTube video and trying to judge the story based on that.

Fallout has an excellent intro though, which does a great job of introducing the game's setting, themes and building its atmosphere. Horizon's intro, on the other hand, is emblematic of the issues I had with what I saw of the game proper - it's an awkward infodump with pretty graphics in the background - it can literally be improved by removing most of the dude's monologue. In fact, a lot of what I've seen seemed to suffer from being overwritten, constantly inserting dialogue and monologues into scenes that didn't need them.

Maybe I'm being unfair in the sense that I'm half-consciously comparing the game to Witcher 3, whose overall story concept was banal shit boring, but had excellent moment-to-moment storytelling.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

More like first few minutes of Fallout 2, no?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
More like first few minutes of Fallout 2, no?
Exactly, if the first game didn't exist and already establish a lore. It's like seeing a shirtless tribal walking around a temple, poking giant ants with a stick and thinking that's what Fallout 2 is about.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
I know I may be over reacting, but it's really strange.
Other way around, recently I realized gothic 1 and 2 could be called sexist beceause women are nearly non-existant, but that stick to the world (classic medieval fantasy?) and I don't recall anyone bitch about it or even mentioning it.
Horizon on the other hand, has no reason to do such thing. That's just weird.

Oh, baby's first time noticing not-so-subtle Marxist propaganda in gaming?

It's been going on for years, nothing new here. Wymyn are STRONK and MAJESTIC angels, men are just mean bully poopyheads but don't worry they all take an arrow to the knee (or a gattling gun shot in the chest)

Primitive tribe? OF COURSE women wil be warriors too. Because in a survival situation, that's what you really want. The weaker, more vulnerable and crucial for reproduction sex being killed off in large numbers but oh well at least muh equality.

At least this game makes a half-assed attempt to justify the protagonist's magic powers in some way, unlike Hollywood.

For absolutely unapologetic propaganda pieces, watch the Nu Star Wars movies or really any Disney movies.

imweasel

How the fuck did Obshitian let a talent like Gonzalez go?
Yep. The story is pretty engaging, you just want to keep on playing to find out what happens next and get some more info on how the world went to shit.

It's been going on for years, nothing new here. Wymyn are STRONK and MAJESTIC angels, men are just mean bully poopyheads but don't worry they all take an arrow to the knee (or a gattling gun shot in the chest)
I am not finished yet, but 98% of the chicks in this game just seem to make babies. Even the female warriors have kids. You can also walk around town and practically every adult female is labeled as a mother. Why and how the protagonist became a warrior is also explained and plausible.

TBH I really am not getting the feeling that Guerilla is pushing the regressive leftist agenda with this game. Men and women are treated equally, but they do overwhelmingly assume their respective roles based on gender.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Yep. The story is pretty engaging, you just want to keep on playing to find out what happens next and get some more info on how the world went to shit.

I am not finished yet, but 98% of the chicks in this game just seem to make babies. Even the female warriors have kids. You can also walk around town and practically every adult female is labeled as a mother. Why and how the protagonist became a warrior is also explained and plausible.

TBH I really am not getting the feeling that Guerilla is pushing the regressive leftist agenda with this game. Men and women are treated equally, but they do overwhelmingly assume their respective roles based on gender.

It's physically impossible to be a mother and a warrior at the same time. Wymyn can do everything, there are no tradeoffs and they don't need to make a decision. Classic feminist BS. In that situation, women would ned to have a huge number of kids just so some can survive. Even if you discount diseases (which would be the biggest killer like in olde tymes), the sheer amount of people getting slaughtered by other tribes or robo-dinos would mean they would have to be permanently pregnant, making the warrior thing impossible.

Women are just as strong and capable of fighting and hunting as men = feminist BS. In reality it's pretty damn ridiculous how much stronger men are than women.

Women are the level headed leaders while men behave like neurotic little bitches. Feminist BS.

All the bad guys are men, even though they have this magical utopia where there are equal numbers of male and female warriors.

Stronk wymyn saves little boy from killbot and he becomes her lifelong omega servant. Feminist fantasy.

They may not be consciously trying to push the SJW/marxist/regressive narrative, but they sure do believe it themselves. We are at the stage where an effort doesn't even need to be made to promote this shit. It's so pervasive in pop culture already that people like you don't even notice it anymore unless it's Bioware-level obvious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom