Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News New teaser website appears to be counting down towards Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition reveal

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Baldurs Gate 3 might be if project

purpleblob

Savant
Excellent. Either they can deliver PST:EE without touching the writing or can fuck up bad enough to finally shut down. Personally, prefer the latter but we will see.

So long as they don't touch BG anymore. BG3 should never be even discussed. Bhaalspawn story ended. Developing another game using BG name is just major milking, nothing more. If someone wants to develop party based RPG in D&D universe without connection to Bhaalspawn, they can just come up with new IP.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
That's a shame. They should have capitalized on their relationship with Chris and get him to write a new quest or DLC for the game, perhaps one that restores one of the planned alternative endings they didn't have time to work into the original release.

At the very least, I expect the Cleric class to be available, or this is just a complete waste of time.

Pretty much. If they don't change anything, but the compatibility and shitty new UI graphics I have to reason to try it.

If they add stuff it's almost guaranteed they fuck it up, so even less reason to try it.

Pentagon

Educated
So long as they don't touch BG anymore. BG3 should never be even discussed. Bhaalspawn story ended.
Go with the BG2 ending of the Bhaalspawn becoming an evil god (or the good god becoming corrupted). Murders become commonplace across the Forgotten Realms as the new Lord of Murder calls for debauched butchery in the streets to satisfy his bloodlust. You start as a mid-level adventurer who must gather the Bhaalspawn's former companions, the only ones who knew the shreds of the man that has become a god. Somehow, you must defeat this god. You must undo what you have spent two games and two expansions creating and put an end to the Lord of Murder once and for all.

Personally, I don't think a sequel is needed, but this is how I would go about making one.

purpleblob

Savant
So long as they don't touch BG anymore. BG3 should never be even discussed. Bhaalspawn story ended.
Go with the BG2 ending of the Bhaalspawn becoming an evil god (or the good god becoming corrupted). Murders become commonplace across the Forgotten Realms as the new Lord of Murder calls for debauched butchery in the streets to satisfy his bloodlust. You start as a mid-level adventurer who must gather the Bhaalspawn's former companions, the only ones who knew the shreds of the man that has become a god. Somehow, you must defeat this god. You must undo what you have spent two games and two expansions creating and put an end to the Lord of Murder once and for all.

Personally, I don't think a sequel is needed, but this is how I would go about making one.

That's just dragging on the Bhaalspawn story i.e. milking. Unlike BG1 and BG2: SoA, ToB actually had proper ending.

Arvennios

Novice
The game is fine as it is, it scales well at higher resolutions with mods installed, I'd rather have them make a game of their own.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Being made to watch additional logo (and faggish Beamdog at that) every time I run the game is reason enough not to buy it. But if they add UI as shitty as the one in 4chan link and change anything else I'm going to have some very uncatholic thoughts.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Maybe they can add more colors to the 16 bit backgrounds. I always found them drab.

:troll:

Drowed

Arcane
latest

They, they.... Won't... Wouldn't... Change the writting... Right? Or "add" anything?

Delbaeth

Learned
After NumaNuma reminding us that Monte Cook destroyed the one of the most interesting thing in PnP RPG, the whole Sigil's Factions' Status quo, in Faction War (which is now considered as canon by WotC, and used by them to dismiss every Planescape fans to revive the franchise)...

Then Torment 2 reminding us how the first Torment was the best (and sadly the only one) attempt to introduce people to Planescape, and how Torment 2 tried as best to do the same for NumaNuma, but failed somehow to follow the first Torment as adventure, reflecting NumaNuma flaws...

And now, we have another attempt to capitalize on Torment, reminding us how WotC and Hasbro have been completely stupid for two decades, for not learning from Planescape to improve D&D. There's no more evidence that Planescape should have been the real core of D&D when you see that the best D&D cRPG were involving parts of the Multiverse. Even though they were in the Nu Multiverse, WotC should have oriented game designers to go further, and not only made the 2004 thing "Hey remember Planescape? It was cool hey? Let's do some tribute!" ["and to the fans: get over it."]

Sure Colin McComb and Monte Cook wrote some of the best expansions of any PnP RPG during the Planescape Era (Planewalker's Handbook, On Hallowed Ground, The Blood War), but sad to see how they moved on. WotC should have got new talent if they weren't interested in the Planes anymore.
In the end, salute to Zeb Cook and DiTerlizzi, for getting the most bizarre universe and ambient in a mainstream PnP RPG.:salute:

The first Torment started in a Mortuary, Planescape has been let in a coffin, and they shouldn't have been turned into zombies. :(

If RPGCodex members are cranium rats, WotC and co are vargouilles.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Don't worry, people. Just sit back, relax and wait for literally nothing bad to happen, you shitlording assblasters. We all know "The Transcendent One" was just to avoid dealing with a subject too delicate for 1998 1999. Now it's 2017 and Beamdog is finally going to give us the real Torment! Well, the second real Torment after Todd Macfarlane's Spider-Man comic. I can't wait. This is going to be great.

Fuck you, Ghostdog and your UI improvements!

:dance:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder whether they'll try to re-render or retouch the videos. It's one of my favourite things about Torment, e.g. this spell:

Interesting question. What did they do with the cutscenes in IWD:EE btw? I don't remember anybody ever talking about that, so I guess not much?

Greatness

Cipher
So long as they don't tack on their shitty custom content, this is great news...

Potential for Torment to get its own "Sword Coast Stratagems" thanks to the improved engine? Hell yeah!

Delbaeth

Learned
You know why the Nameless One shouldn't be a woman?

Because Morte would try to bang her. Or would beg to have sex with her. Or would tell silly sex jokes. Or both.

EVERY. FUCKING. MINUTE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom