Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR: Automata from Yoko Taro and Platinum Games

Ivan

Arcane
are you guys getting locked 60fps?

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
i actually am familiar with the plot but never played drak 1/2/3 (but I watched all the cutscenes for drak 3 haha).

what boss has this symbol in automata? i wasn't paying attention
Eve, as seen in the picture. The "tattoo" basically colors his entire body pitch-black during the last phase (once 9S hacks into him and 2B cuts his arm off), except for the watcher symbol, which is now in a red color on the center of his body and starts glowing. This is also the only phase where he starts shooting the bullet-hell balls, which we all know from the first game to be magic that was used by cult-members aswell as humans infused with maso, also known as demon-element, that was extracted from Angelus corpse. He's also wearing leather-pants that look like they are made of dragon-scales, and both Adam aswell as Eve wear a glove that are fashioned after a dragon-claw with red talons and a gold-tag, similar to the claws and bracelets Gabriella wore in Drakengard 3.
Shitty picture captured from a youtube vid, but its hard to take a better one right now since I don't have Chapter Select available on the PC version yet.
84b0fb4510.jpg

Last edited:

tet666

Augur
are you guys getting locked 60fps?

With the FAR mod and global illumination set to to low i get 60 fps on high without aa on 900p 40-50 on 1080p with a single gtx960 that's for the city ofc, desert and other lighter areas are always 60 fps.
Turning gi off completely gives me 60 on 1080p everywhere but game looks like ass in some areas.
That said everything 40-50 fps+ is perfectly playable for me so i don't really care atm and leave it on 1080p with gi.

Last edited:

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Spoilers about the final boss and the game's ending

lol the final boss is a bullet hell segment vs the credits of the game. Got stuck in the end stretch of it and kept dying until the game just threw me in the title screen. No desire to retry again, fuck this. The only way you could concievably beat this is if someone deletes their save data to give you a power boost, but since I don't pay for PSN, I'm not sure if this option is available to me or not (it was never offered to me). But if you do beat it then 9S, 2B and A2 are recreated and survive. A happy and hopeful ending? In a Yoko Taro game? You better believe it, bub.

The real question is this: Are you not enjoying the game because it didn't live up to your expectations since it is a Nier sequel? Would you have enjoyed the game more if it wasn't called Nier:Automata, but only Automata, only to realize during the later parts of the game that it is in fact set in the same universe/timeline?

Regardless of what the game is called, it still has quite boring gameplay. Whatever name they wish to slap on the box won't fix that. The only reason I did thunder on with the game is because it is Nier, or at least because it's a Yoko Taro game. But a highly disappointing one at that. There were no interesting plot twists or revelations, nor did any of the characters play with my emotional strings, or make me care about at all. The big "twist" everyone saw coming miles away and the one plot point that was somewhat interesting to me, the alien invastion, was completely swept under the rug once you discovered that they were already dead.

I didn't think I would, but I find myself agreeing with Hobo Elf. I love the soundtrack and the overall atmosphere of the game, but I am quite bored a lot of the time. The fighting just isn't interesting enough. Higher difficulties just give you less margin for error and make higher levelled mobs big red flags, but the basic combat is still a case of slash, slash, evade, evade, slash and that's pretty much it. I found Revengeance combat much more interesting and honestly, I enjoyed that game more even though it was a lot shorter.

Elf made another post somewhere where he said he felt like playing Nier:A was just wasting time and I think that sums it up for me as well. It's a capable game with some good bits, but I find on the whole it's lacking.

Elf made another post somewhere where he said he felt like playing Nier:A was just wasting time and I think that sums it up for me as well.

Heh, so eternal curse of mighty Drakengard cannot be overcome even by Platinum:incline:

Don't care as long as plot is as insane as in previous games.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Steam spy stats:
Owners: 172,258 ± 14,639
This is great news considering any non aaa game that sells more then a 100k is a great success.
And especially considering it was probably made by cheap Japanese interns.(the port flaws are the same flaws that plague most Japanese pc ports,probably the same interns.)
They made a nice chunk of money with the pc port.
And this has probably been posted before but whatever,here is a community fix for anybody having performance problems:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/524220/discussions/0/135512104777399045/

Now where the hell is that Nier hd collection,square?

bminorkey

Steam spy stats:
This is great news considering any non aaa game that sells more then a 100k is a great success.
And especially considering it was probably made by cheap Japanese interns.(the port flaws are the same flaws that plague most Japanese pc ports,probably the same interns.)
And this has probably been posted before but whatever,here is a community fix for anybody having performance problems:

i mean the games budget seems quite big so i don't know if it can be considered a non AAA game

i think it deserves a lot more sales myself

flyingjohn

Arcane
Steam spy stats:

i mean the games budget seems quite big so i don't know if it can be considered a non AAA game

I meant the budget for the pc version considering this is a port of the ps4 version.
A pretty big chunk of the budget went into the ps4 version and then they get whoever is the cheapest to just port it to pc.(or even better interns do it for free)

tet666

Augur
Only if Squeenix fix their low-effort pc port.

The game is downright terrible from a technical point of view, from the sparse grass to the textures that look like they come straight out of the PS2 era sometimes (i mean seriously what where they thinking?) , the ssao is probably the worst implementation i have ever seen, the terrible performance because of the botched implementation of the global illumination, the fullscreen resolution is scaling from a lower rendering resolution without the fix and so on, this is Arkham Knight level bad if not worse and a lot of these problems stem from the terrible engine because the consoles also suffer from it, pc is still the best version if your machine can handle it.
The art direction saves a lot of the shortcomings fortunately and at least on pc we got the fan patches,reshade and so on to fix some of that mess because i wouldn't count on SE fixing it.

Last edited:

Saark

Arcane
Patron

The game is far from being an AAA title. According to Taro the budget doesn't even allow for a decent DLC that would be worth buying. Considering the amount of DLC Drakengard 3 had, both for cosmetics aswell as content this doesn't bode well.

Then again, he is a giant troll...

On another note, just did Ending Y... :negative:

bminorkey

Only if Squeenix fix their low-effort pc port.

The game is far from being an AAA title. According to Taro the budget doesn't even allow for a decent DLC that would be worth buying. Considering the amount of DLC Drakengard 3 had, both for cosmetics aswell as content this doesn't bode well.

Then again, he is a giant troll...

On another note, just did Ending Y... :negative:

the drakengard dlcs are short and definitely not "worth it" unless you are a fan of the series (although i really enjoyed watching them on YT)

with DLCs like the old hunters and blood & wine the standards have gone way way up nowadays. just look at the flake From Soft got for its lackluster DaS3 DLC #1 (which wasn't bad at all from a quality perspective but only had 2 bosses thus pissed off the community)

i think they just spent the majority of the budget on the game itself is all. the game has a LOT of content and all the main story content has fairly high production values so i don't see this game's budget being low at all

but who knows?

Gerrard

Arcane
>game uses real time GI for no fucking reason
:deathclaw:

Everything we learn just further proves they should've just used UE4.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
the drakengard dlcs are short and definitely not "worth it" unless you are a fan of the series (although i really enjoyed watching them on YT)
The Drakengard 3 DLC gave some very important backstory on each of the intoners aswell as Gabriel/Gabriella. There's no arguing that they should've been part of the actual game instead of being reduced to a money-grab since they certainly were important to the story. Unless they produced those together with the main-game and just thought about getting more money out of it, there definitely was quite some time, effort and money spent on it.
with DLCs like the old hunters and blood & wine the standards have gone way way up nowadays.
Those types of content-heavy DLC are nowhere near industry standard though. It sure would be great to have DLC like this for every major game, but don't be disappointed if publishers continue pushing out overpriced DLC with very little content to it. You are right though, for Automata they spent all of their funding on creating the game itself instead of stashing some away for future DLC. It does however mean that even if Square wanted to do DLC in the future, a lot of people will probably be working on other projects by then and be unavailable for the DLC itself. This will most likely result in sub-par DLC, I can really only imagine some sort of Arena-Mode being stashed behind the 3 elevators that you cannot use yet.

As far as the budget is concerned, it's hard to say how much funding the game actually had. There was a lot of outsourcing going on for sure, and I think only about 30 people from Platinum were involved. The textures are blurry, the games performance is average, the lip-sync is mediocre at best, some of the areas were supposed to be much larger(for example the desert complex or the shopping mall), invisible walls fucking everywhere. There is a lot of stuff on all fronts that just doesn't speak "high budget/AAA" to me. You can certainly feel that the people working on the game were very passionate about it though, and the attention to detail is still very noticeable and enjoyable but a lot of things had to be left behind for the game to release "on time". Thankfully they pushed it back at least a little, the reasoning was that Square didn't want it to compete with the pre-holiday releases, yet they then chose to release it next to Horizon:Zero Dawn/the new Zelda. Doesn't make sense to me, but this is Square we're talking about, their ineptitude cannot be explained or matched anyway.

People like Hobo Elf certainly speak the truth though when they are complaining about the game feeling a lot less fleshed out compared to the first one, and I think this is mostly due to budget-restraints aswell as a relatively short development time (not even 2 years) simply not being enough for the scope of the game. Production started in 2014, including 6 months of pre-production and the game was supposed to ship in November of 2016. The 5 month delay couldn't really be used for cleaning up a lot of things though, since so much stuff was outsourced that the only thing platinum themselves could polish were the different gameplay mechanics. Comparing this to projects like FIVE YEARS ME:Andromeda, TW3 or FF:XV that basically has its roots back in 2006, all of them having been developed for over 3 years with double or even triple the manpower behind it, Nier:Automata doesn't even get close to being AAA and it shows. Thankfully a lot of talented and passionate people worked on it so the difference is only as big as it is now.

edit: Don't get me wrong, its still one of the best major games I've played in a while (not counting Indie releases), and I've enjoyed the fuck out of it. But it's quite similar to the original Nier, in the sense that it could've been so much more if someone would actually be willing to give games like these more time and money to work with, to become something truly special. Judging the sales figures for the first week on steam/psn, at least more people got to enjoy the ride this time, largely thanks to Platinum.

Last edited:

tet666

Augur
The Drakengard 3 DLC gave some very important backstory on each of the intoners aswell as Gabriel/Gabriella. There's no arguing that they should've been part of the actual game instead of being reduced to a money-grab since they certainly were important to the story. Unless they produced those together with the main-game and just thought about getting more money out of it, there definitely was quite some time, effort and money spent on it.
with DLCs like the old hunters and blood & wine the standards have gone way way up nowadays.
Those types of content-heavy DLC are nowhere near industry standard though. It sure would be great to have DLC like this for every major game, but don't be disappointed if publishers continue pushing out overpriced DLC with very little content to it. You are right though, for Automata they spent all of their funding on creating the game itself instead of stashing some away for future DLC. It does however mean that even if Square wanted to do DLC in the future, a lot of people will probably be working on other projects by then and be unavailable for the DLC itself. This will most likely result in sub-par DLC, I can really only imagine some sort of Arena-Mode being stashed behind the 3 elevators that you cannot use yet.

As far as the budget is concerned, it's hard to say how much funding the game actually had. There was a lot of outsourcing going on for sure, and I think only about 30 people from Platinum were involved. The textures are blurry, the games performance is average, the lip-sync is mediocre at best, some of the areas were supposed to be much larger(for example the desert complex or the shopping mall), invisible walls fucking everywhere. There is a lot of stuff on all fronts that just doesn't speak "high budget/AAA" to me. You can certainly feel that the people working on the game were very passionate about it though, and the attention to detail is still very noticeable and enjoyable but a lot of things had to be left behind for the game to release "on time". Thankfully they pushed it back at least a little, the reasoning was that Square didn't want it to compete with the pre-holiday releases, yet they then chose to release it next to Horizon:Zero Dawn/the new Zelda. Doesn't make sense to me, but this is Square we're talking about, their ineptitude cannot be explained or matched anyway.

People like Hobo Elf certainly speak the truth though when they are complaining about the game feeling a lot less fleshed out compared to the first one, and I think this is mostly due to budget-restraints aswell as a relatively short development time (not even 2 years) simply not being enough for the scope of the game. Production started in 2014, including 6 months of pre-production and the game was supposed to ship in November of 2016. The 5 month delay couldn't really be used for cleaning up a lot of things though, since so much stuff was outsourced that the only thing platinum themselves could polish were the different gameplay mechanics. Comparing this to projects like FIVE YEARS ME:Andromeda, TW3 or FF:XV that basically has its roots back in 2006, all of them having been developed for over 3 years with double or even triple the manpower behind it, Nier:Automata doesn't even get close to being AAA and it shows. Thankfully a lot of talented and passionate people worked on it so the difference is only as big as it is now.

edit: Don't get me wrong, its still one of the best major games I've played in a while (not counting Indie releases), and I've enjoyed the fuck out of it. But it's quite similar to the original Nier, in the sense that it could've been so much more if someone would actually be willing to give games like these more time and money to work with, to become something truly special. Judging the sales figures for the first week on steam/psn, at least more people got to enjoy the ride this time, largely thanks to Platinum.

Compared to unfinished boring AAA shit like ME:Andromeda or FF:XV this still came out very well though.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Compared to unfinished boring AAA shit like ME:Andromeda or FF:XV this still came out very well though.

Oh, it certainly did. It has a lot going for it, and the attention to detail is refreshing. Take this recording of the initial "maintenance" for example, most people just set up the gamma/voice and self-destruct and be done with it, they still thought about including some additional lines for people who switch up other options, for both the set-up aswell as the recording you get to see in the second playthrough.

Malpercio

Arcane
Although it's nowhere (AFAIK) spelled out that at least some androids == replicants, it is a reasonable conclusion, based on the fact that 2B, 9S, and A2 bleed red, can cry, and have pulse that can go up.

There was also mention that YoRHa droids are based on machine-like cores, as the true AI cores would be inhumane - that probably made it easier for machines to hack into yorha. It also seems to me that pods have proper AI cores, and even they got emotions, as evidenced by 042.
I don't think any of the replicants managed to survive for over 7000 years. The only human remains are the saved human genome on the lunar server, aswell as Emil being the last human "alive". He might be the key to reviving humanity, who knows.

I think every android is capable of feeling emotions, among other things. The problem they all have to face sooner or later is the fact that they do not know how to deal with it.
Replicants also were superior to androids since they were created by humans, using human data. The current androids however are just creating themselves, trying to imitate their original creators as much as possible. Machines and androids are very alike, since they also try to "become as gods" by imitating humans.

The machine vs android conflict is, by large, meaningless. It is also extremely important. It is the sole reason the machines exist, and their attempts at creating any new values or even imitating them all fail horribly. It's quite clear that they are not supposed to succeed, since that would give them a new meaning to live. I wonder whether they themselves actually realized this, learned that "this cannot continue" and thus created Adam/Eve which ultimately leads to the ending of the conflict?
Androids on the other hand would have to face the hard truth of humans no longer existing if they were to ever win the war. There'd be no more reason for humans to hide on the moon if the earth was freed from its invader. Since they are also unable to create any new values themselves, they would be trapped in a constant state of stagnation, trying to recapture humanity as much as possible without ever succeeding, and most androids we've seen don't cope well at all with such a bleak outlook and meaninglessness.
Which is why I think Ending E isn't actually a happy ending at all, there's no happiness to be found for 2B/9S/A2 after the machines basically jumped ship to someplace else. Sure, they can decimate the remaining machine population, but eventually they would have to face reality - they need the conflict. So they would most likely create one themselves, similar to how they managed project YoRHa, and the cycle would start anew.

Adam was right after all.

The replicate aren't proper androids. They are just human bodies without a soul that gained sentience. Putting a shade (soul) back into his replicant (body) gets you a full human. Also a Replicant get the black scrawls if his Gestalt relapses, which it's why no Replicants survived, they all started to die out when the Shadowlord was killed.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Although it's nowhere (AFAIK) spelled out that at least some androids == replicants, it is a reasonable conclusion, based on the fact that 2B, 9S, and A2 bleed red, can cry, and have pulse that can go up.

There was also mention that YoRHa droids are based on machine-like cores, as the true AI cores would be inhumane - that probably made it easier for machines to hack into yorha. It also seems to me that pods have proper AI cores, and even they got emotions, as evidenced by 042.
I don't think any of the replicants managed to survive for over 7000 years. The only human remains are the saved human genome on the lunar server, aswell as Emil being the last human "alive". He might be the key to reviving humanity, who knows.

I think every android is capable of feeling emotions, among other things. The problem they all have to face sooner or later is the fact that they do not know how to deal with it.
Replicants also were superior to androids since they were created by humans, using human data. The current androids however are just creating themselves, trying to imitate their original creators as much as possible. Machines and androids are very alike, since they also try to "become as gods" by imitating humans.

The machine vs android conflict is, by large, meaningless. It is also extremely important. It is the sole reason the machines exist, and their attempts at creating any new values or even imitating them all fail horribly. It's quite clear that they are not supposed to succeed, since that would give them a new meaning to live. I wonder whether they themselves actually realized this, learned that "this cannot continue" and thus created Adam/Eve which ultimately leads to the ending of the conflict?
Androids on the other hand would have to face the hard truth of humans no longer existing if they were to ever win the war. There'd be no more reason for humans to hide on the moon if the earth was freed from its invader. Since they are also unable to create any new values themselves, they would be trapped in a constant state of stagnation, trying to recapture humanity as much as possible without ever succeeding, and most androids we've seen don't cope well at all with such a bleak outlook and meaninglessness.
Which is why I think Ending E isn't actually a happy ending at all, there's no happiness to be found for 2B/9S/A2 after the machines basically jumped ship to someplace else. Sure, they can decimate the remaining machine population, but eventually they would have to face reality - they need the conflict. So they would most likely create one themselves, similar to how they managed project YoRHa, and the cycle would start anew.

The replicate aren't proper androids. They are just human bodies without a soul that gained sentience. Putting a shade (soul) back into his replicant (body) gets you a full human. Also a Replicant get the black scrawls if his Gestalt relapses, which it's why no Replicants survived, they all started to die out when the Shadowlord was killed.
Replicants were given an artificial personality during their creation, so they are very android-like at least, with the exception of them dying regularly so they had to be re-created from the gestalts data constantly. The line between Replicants and Androids is rather thin. To me humans ultimately tried to create new humans by skipping the natural process of birth, thus creating androids. That's why I believe that Replicants are superior to Androids, since they were created using actual human data.
This replicant-system wasn't really all too differnet from the backup system the YoRHa uses now. Replicants data was returned to the Gestalt once it died, so it could be reused to revive the Replicant. YoRHa basically do the same thing, only that they can only die due to malfunctioning parts or the destruction of their bodies/black box. The data is still backed up and intact, and new androids can be created from it at any time.

You are right though, it is said that all Replicants were expected to die within one generation after the last Gestalt died. The Black scrawl wasn't a lethal disease though, it simply meant that the replicant, if it were to die, could not be revived since it corresponding Gestalt-Data was unable to be accessed since the Gestalt relapsed fully. Even though the extinction of the replicants was never confirmed to actually have happened and that there may have been some way to keep them alive by not having to access a Gestalts data for ressurrection anymore, the fact that they would've had to survive through 7000 years of war with the aliens/machines makes it even highly unlikely. But with Taro you never know.

Malpercio

Arcane

Replicants were given an artificial personality during their creation, so they are very android-like at least, with the exception of them dying regularly so they had to be re-created from the gestalts data constantly. The line between Replicants and Androids is rather thin. To me humans ultimately tried to create new humans by skipping the natural process of birth, thus creating androids. That's why I believe that Replicants are superior to Androids, since they were created using actual human data.
This replicant-system wasn't really all too differnet from the backup system the YoRHa uses now. Replicants data was returned to the Gestalt once it died, so it could be reused to revive the Replicant. YoRHa basically do the same thing, only that they can only die due to malfunctioning parts or the destruction of their bodies/black box. The data is still backed up and intact, and new androids can be created from it at any time.

You are right though, it is said that all Replicants were expected to die within one generation after the last Gestalt died. The Black scrawl wasn't a lethal disease though, it simply meant that the replicant, if it were to die, could not be revived since it corresponding Gestalt-Data was unable to be accessed since the Gestalt relapsed fully. Even though the extinction of the replicants was never confirmed to actually have happened and that there may have been some way to keep them alive by not having to access a Gestalts data for ressurrection anymore, the fact that they would've had to survive through 7000 years of war with the aliens/machines makes it even highly unlikely. But with Taro you never know.

My point is that

Androids are pretty much machines at the end of the day. They bleed, but they have an OS, can be infected by viruses, don't need food, their skin is synthetic, etc. I'm not sure they even have genitals. Replicant should literally be human bodies, 100% organic, but whitout a soul.

As for replicants surving, now that I remember, it was sorta up in the air whatever other Devola and Popola had managed to riunite the replicants and the gestals (Like with the Aerie), but I guess either way there just weren't enough.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The true final boss of this game is mucho hard. 5 brave souls had to sacrifice themselves for me, in the end.

In the end I rate this game Troll/Japan.

Far more enjoyable than such a shallow and repetitive affair has any right to be.

Edit: after review, the completionist in me is very upset about missing
hacking game 24 and the 6th novel (I have 3 anemone as well as songstress and D&P)

Last edited:
Didn't have powerful PC nor PS4 so watched walkthrough and storywise... it's mixed bag.

I can understand that for people who haven't played any previous Taro games this may look fresh and shit but... It's pretty predictible and lack wtf moments this franchise is famous of.

There are moments that are CREEPY as fuck like machine lifeforms trying to recreate human behaviour or Devola/Popola text-based minichapter but overall it felt like directed for broader, moar casual audience.

Dunno, maybe gameplay is top notch but plot is weakest except fucking disgrace of Drakengard 2. Don't get me wrong, I liked it a lot but propably had too high expectations.

tet666

Augur
Probably not top notch, no but it's good in it's own way a lot of people where expecting a brawler like Bayo or DMC for some stupid reason probably just cause a handful of grunts from Platinum worked on it.
I told them time and time again that it's a Action RPG and not a Character Action Game and they should take a look at Yoko Taros games if they want to know what to expect cause it's his game and not Platinums, they didn't listen and are now bitching cause the game obviously isn't what they where expecting.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom