Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
(snip)vanilla ice cream tastes too much vanilla.

It's fine if you liked PoE. Be my guest. but please leave your retarded arguments and annalogies at the door.

You are the one autistically blowing a gasket over a single sentence.

"Lil'Wayne is shit"

"I thought you liked hip-hop ?"

"..."

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Fever, I agree, we'll see how PoE2 handles things. You also remind me that I have to brush up on my Renaissance knowledge lulz.

Azarkon

Arcane
The mindset was hugely different though. The medieval mindset thought of knowledge as a static whole that can be understood if you study (the Classics and the Bible/Qur'an/Torah) hard enough. I read Al-Ghazali's autobiography where he bragged of having done just that actually. The Renaissance upended this: knowledge became an unexplored infinity. This made people actively pursue innovation and new knowledge. I maintain that the Pillars setting is Renaissance in mindset in this sense, while the FR is medieval. Nobody in the FR will ever make an invention which upends society. In Eora it's already happening.

The entire class of Wizards in D&D begs to differ, though in the Forgotten Realms and Baldur's Gate specifically, that feeling of the arcane as an unexplored infinity is achieved by ignoring Ed Greenwood's Mystra bullshit. For this design and many others, I always thought that the Baldur's Gate series had a Renaissance feel to it, so Pillars of Eternity never bothered me in that respect - it simply took the inspiration even further.

Where Pillars of Eternity's setting differs is in its attitude towards adventuring. Adventurers in D&D are larger-than-life characters who proxy as the superheroes of their respective worlds. Not surprising, given the popularity and influence of superhero comic books at the time D&D was created. Adventurers in Pillars of Eternity, however, are simply a socioeconomic class of sponsored scavengers who rich people pay to loot shit from old ruins. Consequently, the idea that an adventurer party would go around undertaking quests, helping the poor with their problems, and changing the world runs against the fabric of the setting.

There is simply no place for superheroes in Sawyer's down to earth simulation of Renaissance Europe, which is ironic because many aspects of the Pillars of Eternity setting - such as implicit immortality - are actually even more fantastic than D&D's.

Last edited:

erickaqua

Educated

https://youtu.be/c253DwHgwnY?t=18m58s

"How much input is being considered from people of south east asian cultures on which the Huana are based."

Of course someone would be vapid enough to ask this question.

Huan-a actually means "outsiders" in Hokkien Chinese, it's used very often in Chinese communities in Southeast Asia.

The term can be used neutrally among Chinese to refer to local people, but in practice it's often used with mild-to-strong racist undertones whenever a Chinese person feels exasperated with the locals, which is very frequently if you live in Indonesia or Malaysia.

So yeah, I don't think they consult with Southeast Asians, seeing that they named a SEA-inspired people with SEA-equivalent of n-word :D

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huan-a

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=303#updates

Update #25 - Manage Your Pledge on the Backer Portal!
POSTED: 03/24/2017

Hello again, backers! Your wait is over, and you're now able to visit our Backer Portal and change or confirm your pledge, purchase more add-ons, and claim any rewards that are currently available to you (yes, that includes the Tyranny coupon!). Please follow the instructions below to manage your pledge.

PLEASE NOTE: If you are a Fig Slacker Backer, we have not yet finished transferring your pledges to the Backer Portal. We are in the process of finalizing the transition, and accounts should start populating beginning on Monday. You can check back daily to see if your account has been transitioned over from Fig.

original.gif

Confirm Your Pledge
Want to confirm your pledge from Fig on the Obsidian Backer Portal, but don't know how? We're here to help! By heading to the Backer Portal you'll be able to link your Fig pledge by clicking on 'Manage My Pledges'.

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2Fac62fd79b761400c9bcded3279cae5949cdc237f%2Foriginal.png%3F1490303958

If you aren't currently signed in, or don't have an Eternity account, you will be asked to sign in or to create an account.

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2F2a4f43d6c83f2545fd01aa35293abce13adb8303%2Foriginal.png%3F1490304012

Once logged in to the Eternity Backer Portal, you will be brought to the 'Manage Deadfire Pledges' page where you can confirm that your pledge is correct.

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2Fb0152b72504b197f4fa379d78062db2592abd56c%2Foriginal.png%3F1490304034

Clicking on 'Complete Pledge' will take you to the 'Select Your Reward' page. On this page, you are able to either keep the reward tier you pledged at, or upgrade to a higher tier if you would like to do so. Once you made your decision, click 'Continue to Next Step'.

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2F0e8a3b5915803e00d6c4095cb701f1df85fdaa02%2Foriginal.png%3F1490304050

The next page is for Add-ons; on this page, you're able to include any add-ons that were offered during the Fig campaign and buy extras, if you want.

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2F3dc9ed5876cbce987384c4a5957c995213901f51%2Foriginal.png%3F1490304113

When you're done with add-ons, click 'Continue to Next Step' and you will be brought to your cart.

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2Fa6c988517a4fb9d596661d20e2252995c50fc150%2Foriginal.png%3F1490304138

Confirm your order in your shopping cart and then continue to 'Checkout'.

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2F4bb3540f943918420e1f8cc7c2ec0e04b7e6eb4e%2Foriginal.png%3F1490304160

After clicking 'Checkout', you will advance to the Customer Information screen. If you are only getting digital items, we only need an email address and phone number for you. If you plan to receive a physical item that will be shipped, we require an address where those items can be sent once Pillars II is out.

PLEASE NOTE: Shipping costs will be calculated after you enter your address. You will see your shipping costs at the Place Order screen, at the next step.

Once your Customer Information is entered, continue to the next screen to place your order.

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2F83a06716fd814a5502a01b77429b7d4ddcc6ee1f%2Foriginal.png%3F1490304191

Here, you'll once again be able to confirm your pledge and items. Make sure that your Payment Information is correct, and choose which Payment Method you would like: Stripe or PayPal (the default is Stripe). When finished, place your order.

Congratulations, you have successfully completed your Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire pledge!

Claiming Digital Rewards
Need to claim digital rewards? Once your order is complete, head over to the 'Products Tab' of your Account Profile.
https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2F9a2a775de214c2479409e312350ec0ce9c2bd67d%2Foriginal.png%3F1490305697

If the item is a key that needs to be generated (For example, the Tyranny coupon), click the arrow next to the product and you'll get a drop-down that enables you to generate your key.

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2Fb7aac1c0e68da80d04aa0fd2b8c5936b8d9044d9%2Foriginal.png%3F1490305775

If you have questions or need help with the pledge process in any way, please reach out to us at support@obsidian.net. We'll be more than happy to assist you!

Lords of the Eastern Reach Card Game
In other news, Pillars of Eternity: Lords of the Eastern Reach is now available at your friendly neighborhood game store! It is an officially licensed card game created by our friends at Zero Radius Games.
https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2Fd912816a347e1104482131f895d07cce0f148190%2Foriginal.png%3F1490306396

Limited quantities of the deluxe version are available exclusively at the official website along with a rules download and instructional videos.
www.zeroradiusgames.com

Developer Q&A on YouTube
Lastly, we now have our two most recent developer Q&A sessions up on YouTube. Check out Chat session 4 with Josh Sawyer and Bobby Null, and Chat session 5 with Josh Sawyer and Kaz Aruga (Shown below).

Thanks for reading, and thank you for all your support!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pretty barebones backer portal site. No new video or anything like when they opened the first game's backer portal.

At least I got my Tyranny coupon. Does the Paradox store ever do any sales? If it does, I wonder if the coupon stacks. :M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Hey Crooked Bee, you should ask Obsidian if there's any chance our fundraiser donors can get an account on the backer portal.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pretty barebones backer portal site. No new video or anything like when they opened the first game's backer portal.

At least I got my Tyranny coupon. Does the Paradox store ever do any sales? If it does, I wonder if the coupon stacks. :M
It won't stack with any other discounts according to one of the comments Feargus made on FIG.

erickaqua

Educated
So yeah, I don't think they consult with Southeast Asians, seeing that they named a SEA-inspired people with SEA-equivalent of n-word :D

Oops.

Edit: I asked JES that on his Tumblr. Interesting to see what he replies...

Yeah, I would like to know his thoughts on it as well.

Chinese people are still minority in SEA, so it's understandable if outsiders never heard of the term, but locals, their friends, and their families who ever worked with Chinese bosses would probably know the term, which is quite a lot if you factor in that maid business is thriving in SEA.

Although personally I hope he won't change the term, me and my friends would probably laugh our asses off when playing the game.

jungl

Augur
Whatever happened to the rival party concept in the first pillars. A rival group of adventures that you fight occasionally throughout the game that grow in power as you do. When you defeat them in combat they don't die but get knocked down and retreat. You think with josh having a big boner for battle brothers he be interested to implement this.

Bonerbill

Augur
Whatever happened to the rival party concept in the first pillars. A rival group of adventures that you fight occasionally throughout the game that grow in power as you do. When you defeat them in combat they don't die but get knocked down and retreat. You think with josh having a big boner for battle brothers he be interested to implement this.

That sounds gay and cartoony as fack.

Sentinel

Arcane
what the hel would be the point of that?
sounds like some anime shit

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

That sounds gay and cartoony as fack.

Sounds like a twist on Wizardry 8 7 actually, where NPC adventurer parties could complete objectives before you.

Last edited:

Rev

Arcane
That sounds like Blue in Pokemon. :M

erickaqua

Educated

They weren't able to implement it, it seems. You only met them when someone asked you to fetch dragon eggs from the mountains.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hey Crooked Bee, you should ask Obsidian if there's any chance our fundraiser donors can get an account on the backer portal.
I thought it was already confirmed we would.

It was a possibility, not confirmed. I'll email them this weekend.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom