Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry 6 : Cosmic Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu or a newfags journey into the old school

Cudgel

Learned
Patron
New to the codex so decide to pick an old school series I haven't played. Research how to make a good party, each party member should have an 18 for bonus points, ok this shouldn't take too long.:positive:

Finally halfway through rolling my party and I skip through an 18, so that happened. Grit my teeth and roll harder :cool: .

Make it to four party members done, are Faeries harder to roll 18's for ? Oh oops I saved that last character despite them being crap, in the zone now, just delete that.....aaannnddd deleted the wrong character.
:negative:
Back down to three party members, chest pains, left side numb.

"Father, is this RPG?" I ask from my knee's as doves shit on my tear-streaked face.

You can get over 18??? 22 points; :incline:.
Back to four....
A 17 tempts but I preserve and finally get an 18, one left and I can actually play the game !

Four hours later my party is ready (I hope). Feeling :obviously:.:kwafuckyeah:

Thanks to this thread for getting me through this http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/wizardy-6-party-creation.64673/

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You have chosen well for your initiation. What does your party have in it?

Cudgel

Learned
Patron
I went with kmonster's recommended party from the attached thread, so
f dwarf valkyrie 15-6-11-16-10-11-8
m felpurr samurai 16-11-7-11-12-14-10
f felpurr bard 11-10-7-16-12-12-12
m dracon ninja 14-10-10-13-12-12-6
m faerie monk 13-11-13-9-10-14-12
f faerie bishop 6-15-15-8-10-14-13

Except my bard is 15-10-7-18-12-12-12 from that 22 Oh! i just did the maths it was 24 bonus !!!
I wasn't sure what to do with the extra points so I put them in str and vit.

My only other experience with these games is the first Etrian Odyssey on the DS. I miss the map making aspect as I am using an auto-mapping program, but it still feels super satisfying watching the map fill out.

I love non-human parties (and oh my the options for that in this game !), so I am looking forward to taking these heroes all the way to Wizardry 8.

This game is so much fun, how does it compare to other blobbers, specifically Might & Magic and Lands of Lore? I want to save the Grimlock games for last, I think.
I have not been this excited about vidya games since I don't know when !
Now, back into the castle!

Dorateen

Arcane
how does it compare to other [Dungeon Crawlers], specifically Might & Magic

It would be more fair to compare with earlier Might & Magic rather than the latter series, although Wizardry 6 still has deeper gameplay systems between combat and class changing, and better puzzles. What Might & Magic does offer is exploration of an overworld instead of being constrained to a monolithic dungeon. So if you like to travel across various locations in order to uncover all its secrets, that is a large part of the appeal.

Both form the foundation of proper computer role-playing games.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Stop!

Go read the old Wizardry thread, there's lots of pointers in there.

Decide if you're gonna go PC or SNES for 6. Personally I prefer SNES with the fan translation, you can also savestate for rolls if that's your thing. You can use Mad God's Editor at the end to recreate your party on PC for 7.

If you really do intend to bring a party all the way to 8, you need to really plan in advance, and balance things out with resistances. You will want at least one mook (who will probably end up multiclassing over to gadgeteer in 8) and one elf (for the racial items). You may or may not want a faerie depending on whether you want to go cane of corpus - that's a controversial topic.

Don't bother max rolling the starting party because you're going to change class soon anyway, you just need the min for your next class. Make a spreadsheet of all the classes you will rotate through and who is rotating when. 6 and 7 are all about class changing.

For me, I started with 6 ninja/monk for stealth, criticals, and hand-to-hand combat (since you'll be low on equipment at the start until you find the shop). Stealth gives you decent AC without equipment and hide keeps you alive at the beginning, when you don't have a lot to work with. Or you could go 6 thieves and get through this phase much quicker because of XP requirements.

That's the accountant spirit!

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I suppose to understand better how to or even if to answer we need to know are you a purist / pragmatic / completionist or ?

a lot of how to approach these older titles depends on how determined a person is and how much Googlificating you will do..
and btw..
time...lots of hours, days, nights, week ends, 18 hour days hunched over a keyboard swilling coffee & pizza & diet cokes scribbling madly on scraps of paper that were once a receipt for chinese take out reloading every time a game throws a dirty curve ball that upends a carefully constructed castle of cards that was a planned party strategy for optimizing and efficiency. but i digress

maybe just answer this: have you finished Dark Souls I on PC ?

kmonster

Augur

That's not my recommended party, that's the party I beat the game with. :cool:

But it's a great party nevertheless. :dance:

You'll do fine through the games, don't let the trolls confuse you. No need for searching more spoilers or class switching, just play the game with your party as it is, you'll do fine. Just be aware that most skills increase by using them, so if you hide or sing in easy battles for example you'll benefit from the increased skill when you need it in hard battles.

Unwanted

Charles Eli Cheese

Neckbeard Shitlord
Edgy Shitposter
When you change classes you revert to min stats for each characteristic. So combinations that seem to make no sense are actually the best starting points for characters oftentimes. The min stats are different for each race so that can make it so certain switches are free and don't require a lot of lucky stat boosts through leveling. Like with faerie thief to faeri bard which you can go back and forth with until you get awesome stats by luck and then you can move on to ninja or monk and so on.

Though you might want to make a high stat character like a samurai just to keep through the game. Higher levels mean better saves and more attacks, so for a samurai with good stats just keeping him one class will make him an amazing death machine. For spellcasters this don't matter for shit, the more multiclassing you do the more spell points you get and the more magic skill you get. At a certain point there is no more need to bother though, so you can switch them to a ninja or something and just keep them there forever.

Cudgel

Learned
Patron

That's not my recommended party, that's the party I beat the game with. :cool:

But it's a great party nevertheless. :dance:

You'll do fine through the games, don't let the trolls confuse you. No need for searching more spoilers or class switching, just play the game with your party as it is, you'll do fine. Just be aware that most skills increase by using them, so if you hide or sing in easy battles for example you'll benefit from the increased skill when you need it in hard battles.
Whoops, Thanks still. I think I am just going to stay stuck in, enjoying the game too much to go back to rolling now.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dont listen to the switch class ideas,
Other than not having a Faerie Ninja or an Elf Lord your party is perfectly serviceable and should be fine for the whole game
You are in for some old school gaming goodness man, and after you finish up taking your chars to Wizardry 7 with most of the best equipment intact (like the Holy Basher and the Muramasa)
Roll out the graph paper, order a pizza and have some fun!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom