Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Play Drakensang: the River of Time

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Drakensang: River of Time is the 2010 prequel to Drakensang: the Dark Eye. Made in Germany.

UqMVhpl.jpg

Intro:

Aside from a couple of good performances English dub is generally shite so here’s the German intro:

How skill checks and attributes work:

How The Game Rolls: Success Rolls & Talent Rolls

This section covers the central success roll and talent roll mechanics the game uses, emulating the tabletop game.

How Success-Rolls Are Made

Since this is based on tabletop roleplaying game rules, whenever you try to do things, the game will make a “success role” to see if you can pull it off. Those will EITHER be a SINGLE d20 (twenty-sided die) roll for most combat rolls, or THREE d20 rolls +/- a “talent prowess” modifier for basically all skill uses aka “talent rolls”.

You may want to press “K” on your keyboard to bring up the console which will show you the details of when a roll is made. You want the game to roll LOW on these rolls, not high. When the game roll 1s and 2s, rejoice, and be sad if 18s, 19s, and 20s come up. This is because the attributes of your characters represent “thresholds”, basically: If your Cleverness is 13, and the game makes a cleverness-check, you succeed on a roll of 1-13, and fail on 14-20. This is true for all checks made in the game.

The only time you want the game to roll high numbers is when dealing damage!

Talent Rolls

Talent Rolls are usually where it is at in non-combat situations. They are made by rolling 3 d20s against 3 linked attributes. If you hover with the mouse over a talent's name on the character screen, it will highlight the attributes rolled on to the left (if only 2 are highlighted, that means one of them gets rolled on twice!).

You will need to suceed on ALL THREE ROLLS for a talent roll to be successful. As soon as one of them fails, the talent roll fails.

The number of the talent you raise is called your “talent prowess”, and is used to A) compensate for low rolls, B) determine how well you succeed on your check.
Every point of talent prowess can compensate one “fail” point on one of your d20 rolls; for example, if you have attributes of 10/10/10 and your die rolls end up 4, 8 and 15, it means the last roll failed by 5. Now, if your talent prowess is 7, 5 of these 7 points will be used to compensate for the failed roll – resulting in a success, with 2 TP* (“remaining talent points”) to spare.

The more talent prowess points remain, the better the quality of your roll – this will often enough determine what your talent roll can achieve (like how many wounds are treated with a single “Treat Wounds” roll, how many plants are harvested, etc.)

Penalties & Difficulty Modifiers

Often enough, a “difficulty modifier” is applied to a talent roll (you will very often see them when trying to pick locks or harvesting plants, for example), which can range from 1 to 10 or even more. This difficulty is subtracted from your talent prowess in advance, making the task harder to succeed on by reducing your effective talent prowess for the job.

The worst part is: Once an effective talent prowess goes negative (-1 or lower), this penalty gets subtracted FROM EACH (!!!) of your three die rolls. So, if you have 10/10/10 on your attributes and a penalty drops your effective prowess to -3, every one of the three rolls must be 7 or lower!
So, keep in mind that once you hit the negative-number-zone, your chances of success go down immensely. This is most critical for talents like Willpower, which can literally make a life-or-death difference depending on whether a roll succeeds or not.

Developing Talents And Attributes

Attributes can be considered “good” in the 14-16 range, and you might not really need to go much higher for your general non-combat talent uses of attributes. If your average of stats is close to that when rolling on talents with decent prowess (7+), you will overall see more successes than fails. Attributes ranging from 9-11 can be considered “low end”, because you will need to invest heavily in talents (12+) to compensate and see successes more often than failures. Characters with 14+ in attributes will also have good chances to still roll successes when a penalty reduces your effective talent prowess to -1 or even lower.

Consider certain spells that buff attributes or talents, since raising them to the point where they will provide you with a temporary benefit for certain very specific tasks can be a lot cheaper an EXP investment than raising that stat or talent, even if that is very little – this buff becomes even better the higher your “natural” score gets, because talents and attributes become significantly more expensive the higher you raise them; that means that in the late game, that measly spell where you just have enough prowess in to get a +1 in this or that actually becomes comparatively more 'valuable' than it used to be in the beginning of the game.

Some notes on the setting: the Dark Eye main P&P setting is the continent of Aventuria (previously called Arkania).

6eEFA2b.jpg

For those who can into German, here is a good introduction:

Drakensang games take place in the Middenrealm. See the political map:

9XEIckz.jpg

Drakensang: the Dark Eye takes place in and around Ferdok which I marked on the map. Nadoret, the setting of River of Time is to the south of Ferdok.

The part in red is the Middenrealm. River of Time takes place 23 years before Drakensang during the reign of Emperor Hal which is considered a golden era.

Chains of Satinav takes place in Andergast, the dark green part. Blackguards takes place in the Horasrealm, the dark blue part. Realms of Arkania games take place in Thorwal, the light blue part. In fact, River of Time takes place just before the events of Realms of Arkania.

Finally Demonicon takes place in Warunk, one of the cities in the eastern part of Middenrealm conquered by the Borbarad hordes.

Some seventeen years or so before the events of Drakensang: the Dark Eye Borbarad (an Alveranian demon master) invaded Aventuria and Middenrealm lost both Maraskan and a lot of their eastern territory.

Some information on the Twelvegods, who will be mentioned a lot in the course of the game:

Praios, chief of the gods, god of the sun
150px-Praios.svg.png

Rondra, goddess of war and honourable combat
150px-Rondra.svg.png

Efferd, god of the sea, water and storms
150px-Efferd.svg.png

Travia, goddess of family
150px-Travia.svg.png

Boron, god of the dead
150px-Boron.svg.png

Hesinde, goddess of magic, science and art
150px-Hesinde.svg.png

Firun, god of winter and the hunt
150px-Firun.svg.png

Tsa, goddess of birth and children
150px-Tsa.svg.png

Phex, god of thieves and trade
150px-Phex.svg.png

Peraine, goddess of agriculture
150px-Peraine.svg.png

Ingerimm, god of fire and crafting, chief god of the Dwarves
140px-Ingerimm.svg.png

Rahja, goddess of love and beauty
150px-Rahja.svg.png

There is also a 13th, "Nameless" God who is the source of all evil.

Aside of this each of the Twelvegods has an opposing Archdemon.
For those who can into German, another decent video:

Children of two gods are not full gods but ‘demigods’. Borbarad, for instance, is the son of the demigod Nandus. Nandus is the son of Hesinde and Phex. Svafnir, the main god of Thorwal, is the son of Rondra and Efferd.

While Aventuria is located on the planet called Ethra, the gods are in Alveran. Dark Eye cosmology follows a sphere model kind of similar to Elder Scrolls.

Basically the 7th outer sphere contains the stars, Alveran is on the sixth sphere. Ethra is on the third sphere, the Prime Material Plane as it were. The fourth sphere is the realm of the dead. The lowest sphere is the demon realm, followed by the fairy realm.

Aside from these spheres many artificial “pocket” spheres or globules also exist.

27db037c70b6a5843fab3ab98d991233-d84fy5r.jpg

So, without further ado, let’s start.

VgVCo0E.jpg

6Oi0o8Q.jpg

Our character will be female rogue called Angela Merkel.

ViH5WuW.jpg

The rogue specializes mainly in social skills and thievery next, fighting with daggers or fencing weapons. However, we will use expert mode to redistribute some points.

First of all we exchange seduce bonus for vitality bonus.

Ze0l1An.jpg

We also take nature talents penalty to get some points to distribute however we want.

wl39uHy.jpg

For now we raise Fencing weapons as high as possible and the remainder of points we invest in as many skills as possible. As the game progresses and we garner adventure points they can be distributed however we wish, including to raise attributes (usually at high cost) or learn new skills from trainers.

LvTkpOd.jpg

M0To04C.jpg

After character creation Angela finds herself in the starting area, on a boat.

5aZDwtz.jpg

The immediate quest is to talk to the captain, the more personal quest of Angela however is to head to Nadoret and finish her training. In her “background” story Angela apparently stole a snuffbox from a prominent figure in Gareth.

BSgE0TX.jpg

lbdz8gF.jpg

LFcqF4c.jpg

zuUrYau.jpg

Note that Angela’s race is “Middenrealmian” but her nationality is “Garetian”. Garetia is one of the kingdoms of the Middenrealmian Empire with capital Gareth. While Nadoret is in the Principality of Kosh.

Angela starts the game with the melee skill Feint. The next skills in this tree are very useful since they cause Wounds. A wound severely weakens a combatant plus 5 wounds = instant death.

Ng8MY7l.jpg

xyU3mbK.jpg

In the future it might also be worthwhile to invest in Throwing weapons skills like Aimed throw and Rain of iron.

hqhW8hK.jpg

CuMJb9d.jpg

Angela’s starting inventory consists of an épée, throwing knives, fencing shirt and some simple pants and boots.

hAyVogw.jpg

0Xlbl0h.jpg

The épée is a bad defensive weapon considering it gives a -2 penalty to parrying. It is also rather useless for strength based fighters due to the strength bonus: 13/5 means at 13 strength there will be +1 damage bonus; next damage bonus comes at 18 strength (a regular sword or axe might have a 14/2 strength bonus).

Next update Angela will get through the prologue.

Last edited:

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Nice LP of a really underrated game. The german version has gorgeous VA, btw.

Fenris 2.0

Augur
do the Thorwalians have another sea god? Remember reading their gods somewhere.

Swafnir, he is mentioned in abnaxus's wall of text somewhere.

Also abnaxus, did you have to name her after our Chancellor of Doom ? :(
At least she might get some serious beatings during the Game.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Swafnir, he is mentioned in abnaxus's wall of text somewhere.

Also abnaxus, did you have to name her after our Chancellor of Doom ? :(
At least she might get some serious beatings during the Game.
Thanks bro. Missed it because it said demigod.

Fenris 2.0

Augur
There are lots of lesser Gods, Godspawn and Demons with godlike Powers, but the twelve Gods and the Nameless One are the Topdogs with much more Power then the Rest of the Bunch since they conquered Alveran (The Highheaven, or something like Walhalla ?) after some big War among the Gods some eons ago - or one eon, I don't remember the Details.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 1: Prologue

Stepping off the ship Angela is immediately accosted by the captain .

yMCelzA.png
It’s good of you to join us on land, young lady. We’ll camp here tonight before we reach Nadoret tomorrow. But there is just one thing ...

yMCelzA.png
You promised to make yourself useful during our journey. I forgot all about that, or I would have given you something to do much sooner.

EozdLOG.png
And of course I’ll keep my word, Captain. What can I do to help?

yMCelzA.png
Lend old Piet a hand to set up camp for the night. We’ll set off at first light tomorrow – our paying passengers are in a hurry.

Might as well ask some questions while we’re at it.

EozdLOG.png
Captain, there’s something I wanted to ask you.

yMCelzA.png
Ah, these young folks have a thirst for knowledge! Ask away!

EozdLOG.png
What can you tell me about Nadoret?

yMCelzA.png
Well, what can I say? It’s a small and rather pretty trading town on the Great River, ruled by the honorable Baron Dajin of Nadoret.

Because Angela has some aptitude in social skills there are some unique dialogue options here.

Q0xrDZg.jpg

”Etiquette” pops up when conversation concerns nobles in the Empire; “Streetwise” is a rogueish skill dealing with getting around in the city.

EozdLOG.png
Dajin? That name sounds rather foreign.

yMCelzA.png
Oh, you have a fine ear for detail. And you’re right. The Baron’s name was given to him by his mother – a Maraskan. The Nadorets are one of the oldest noble families in all of the Kosh. An ancient noble family ... if you know what I mean.

Maraskan is the big southern isle that was later conquered by the Borbarad hordes. I believe traitor admiral Helme Haffax ruled it afterward. It’s also the home of creepy snake people.

EozdLOG.png
Why are we bothering to set camp for the night?

yMCelzA.png
Well for one thing, it’s night. And you’re much better off on land at night. If you ask Piet, he’ll tell you that the Riverfather hates being woken at night and crushes the ships that disturb his sleep ... But I would say, it’s just good sense – you can’t see the rocks in a river at night!

EozdLOG.png
That’s all, Captain. I’ll ask Piet if there is anything to do.

Piet is a bit further on quarreling with a young woman.

K24xb9P.jpg

CnC6Wkd.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I… Angela Merkel! How could you forget?

dwVhaMJ.png
Oh, right! You’re the one who couldn’t afford to pay the full fare – the one that I can use for odd jobs. Sorry, I don’t know how I could forget that.

EozdLOG.png
I don’t really have much of a choice.

dwVhaMJ.png
Do I have a choice? You will be rid of him tomorrow, whereas I will probably be slaving away under his command until the day the river takes my soul. I should get you to do my work as well ...

dwVhaMJ.png
Or not. Who knows what a mess you’d make of it ... I seem to remember that someone chose to waste their money on betting instead of buying tinder fungus in Ferdok!

EZIAza5.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I don’t have any tinder fungus either. How can I help?

dwVhaMJ.png
Well, someone will have to find some dry tinder fungus somewhere on this island and you are going with them, just in case ...

94X1Vu1.png
I’m not scared! I would go on my own if it wasn’t so dull…

dwVhaMJ.png
Make sure she comes back in one piece – or you’ll have me to deal with! Janah is enough trouble as it is.

EozdLOG.png
Of course. Come on, Janah. Let’s go!

94X1Vu1.png
And then you can tell me what he whispered to you… come on!

dwVhaMJ.png
Don’t you dare! And Janah – no dawdling and jabbering about, there’s work to be done!

94X1Vu1.png
Come on, tell me! What did he whisper to you?

EozdLOG.png
I shouldn’t frighten you by pulling scary faces. Can you do the dragon? Wuaaahhhrg!

94X1Vu1.png
Hahahaha! There’s never a dull moment with you about!

94X1Vu1.png
I think there might be some tinder fungus inside the ruined tower. Let’s take a look there.

Janah will find some tinder fungus near the tower but she’ll screw up.

0zJtjEg.jpg

VyKfgN2.jpg

tlsSQTi.jpg

EozdLOG.png
What shall we do now?

94X1Vu1.png
I know! While we’re here, let’s take a look inside the ruined tower. I bet it’s still nice and dry inside.

EozdLOG.png
That sounds like a nice little adventure! I’m in.

94X1Vu1.png
So you like adventures, do you? Me too ... I mean, I like to listen to stories about adventures. Come on, let’s go!

eVlUtXQ.jpg

Inside the tower Janah will quickly chicken out.

qddv6yr.jpg

NUtWos0.jpg

JDLzcJQ.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Believe me, I’ve survived far worse situations. Don’t be afraid!

94X1Vu1.png
Really? Well, I’ll trust you this time. We’ll be alright if we stick together. You go ahead. I’ll watch your back.

There are just some bats further on, the first combat in the game.

LEDB9BU.jpg

9n7Hung.jpg

eMIDPeh.jpg

There are also some barrels with the predictable useless junk (at least, useless for now).

uOfBHzj.jpg

MyZB7rf.jpg

There’s some dry tinder fungus in a broken boat. Janah can make use of this.

OdnVlOn.jpg

2iPDWe1.jpg

There’s also a bowl with offerings here but Janah warns not to mess with it.

uiVmhss.jpg

94X1Vu1.png
Don’t touch it! I think it’s a shrine consecrated to the Riverfather! And Piet reminds me every day that a good boatman never angers the Riverfather. Really!

EozdLOG.png
Who is this Riverfather that you speak of?

94X1Vu1.png
According to Piet, the Riverfather has watched over the Great River since time immemorial. Legend has it that he appears in the guise of a river creature, an old man ... or even in the form of a walking willow! And he is friends with the sprites, too!

EozdLOG.png
Then perhaps we should heed his words.

94X1Vu1.png
Just this once, anyway. Thanks! Who knows what might have happened otherwise!

Exiting the cave, Janah will start chattering again.

EKUNvxk.jpg

EozdLOG.png
That’s what I’ve been wanting to ask you the whole time!

94X1Vu1.png
Well?!

EozdLOG.png
The Captain is hard to read.

94X1Vu1.png
But he knows the Great River like the back of his hand. He knows how to avoid the river's teeth and can navigate the ship safely through the Devil’s Maw while I quake and quiver in fear.

94X1Vu1.png
He can be a hard and stubborn man. But I guess he has to be ... after all, he has to shoulder the responsibility for the ship, the crew and the passengers.

EozdLOG.png
The way you speak of him, it sounds as though he must be a good Captain.

94X1Vu1.png
He sure is! The ‘Star of Ferdok’ has never capsized and its crew has never gone hungry!

EozdLOG.png
It can’t be easy working under Piet.

94X1Vu1.png
Oh, he is always complaining about something. I can never do anything right in his eyes and he never believes me either.

EozdLOG.png
You have to admit though, that story you tried to put past him was pretty weak.

94X1Vu1.png
But I wasn’t lying! It really did happen just like I said. But you don’t believe me any more than Piet...

94X1Vu1.png
But I enjoy listening to his stories. When he talks about his adventures, it’s as though you were right there with him!

EozdLOG.png
Do you know anything about the other three passengers?

94X1Vu1.png
Well, if you know anything about them, you just have to tell me! I’ve already tried to get some information out of that good-looking, dark-haired fellow.

94X1Vu1.png
But the Dwarf and the blond-haired fellow with the broad shoulders drove me away as soon as they saw what was going on. With all their whispering and carrying on, they’re like a gaggle of old maids, hhm?

EozdLOG.png
They certainly seem to be up to something.

94X1Vu1.png
That’s for sure! They argue all the time, but they are very careful to make sure that nobody overhears what they’re saying. Maybe they are planning a robbery, or perhaps they are imperial agents!

EozdLOG.png
I’d like to know more about you, Janah.

94X1Vu1.png
Me? Um ... why? I’m sure that you will have adventures and be rich and powerful one day – but as for me ... well, there’s nothing interesting to say about me.

EozdLOG.png
Stop making yourself less interesting than you are, Janah.

94X1Vu1.png
Oh, thanks! You’re right. I’m as grumpy as old Piet sometimes. But I would love to know what becomes of you one day...

94X1Vu1.png
Anyway, we’ve talked for long enough! Hey, the last one to report to Piet has to light the fire!

Returning to the captain, Angela receives her next assignment.

a7EUiKU.jpg

S5s9HyE.jpg

dwVhaMJ.png
What do you mean were worried? I still am worried! Shaky-legs Karl told me all about what happened.

EozdLOG.png
Well never mind all that. We’re back and we even have some tinder fungus.

yMCelzA.png
Good news at last! Piet, stop babbling and take care of the fire. Alright?

dwVhaMJ.png
Hurumpf! You take care of that fire, Janah.

yMCelzA.png
Angela Merkel, and you go…

EozdLOG.png
… onward to my next challenge?

yMCelzA.png
Tell your three traveling companions over there that the camp is set for the night. But do not otherwise disturb them. Understood?

EozdLOG.png
There’s something else I have to tell you. We found something in the cave below the ruined tower – Janah thinks it might be a shrine consecrated to the Riverfather.

yMCelzA.png
Don’t let Piet hear about that. What about it? Did you touch it?

EozdLOG.png
No, I didn’t touch it.

yMCelzA.png
It’s better to be on the safe side. You made a very wise decision – especially as young Janah was there with you. Not that I hold with all that superstitious claptrap, but still ...

The three mysterious strangers will quickly shift conversation when Angela is approaching them.

lR4x6gh.jpg

eH75Ial.jpg

EozdLOG.png
You’re also traveling to Nadoret, aren’t you?

3zgRH7v.jpg

m0WQljd.png
We are ... we’re merely traveling merchants ... and we have important matters to discuss.

XcemGgR.png
That's right, we have a private matter to discuss, so push off!

tGLI5m2.jpg

XcemGgR.png
What's that supposed to mean? Are you making fun of me, Cano? ... Er ... Foxhill, I mean Foxhill!

m0WQljd.png
It would be better if you left us alone now ... I'm sure that one of the ... boatmen ... would be glad to chat with you.

Angela needs to bother the men again, not yet having passed the captain’s message.

rkF6JAz.jpg

m0WQljd.png
What now? We've already explained that we do not wish to be disturbed!

EozdLOG.png
The Captain has sent me to tell you that the camp is set for the night.

OKlt61R.png
Oh, thank you for this reassuring piece of information. I'm sure we’ve earned a nap.

XcemGgR.png
I have to agree with him there. I'll sleep like a log after all that cursed rocking and rolling about on the ship.

m0WQljd.png
Nobody is going to bed yet! Or have either of you slackards come up with a good idea yet?

XcemGgR.png
…er…

OKlt61R.png
…hmmm…

m0WQljd.png
Please explain to the captain that we have matters to discuss and that it will take as long as it takes ... we wish to remain undisturbed. Understood?

Angela decides to pester them some more.

EozdLOG.png
Why are you being so unfriendly? I just wanted to get to know you.

XcemGgR.png
So you want to get to know us, do you? If you don't stop listening to our conversations, you’ll get to know my ax!

OKlt61R.png
Don't take it to heart. My friend's ax is much sharper than his mind ... and his moods are far worse than his breath!

XcemGgR.png
Cano, just say the word and I’ll introduce you to my ax as well!

OKlt61R.png
Ah, thank you for your kind offer but I have already had the pleasure ... And by the way, my name is Dabro, not Cano. Dabro Foxhill, remember?

m0WQljd.png
Stop it, both of you! Now let’s get on with our discussion, if we may! Forgive me, kind Lady, but we wish to be alone.

Whatever charade the three are trying to hold up, it’s not really working very well…

4wfrD0o.jpg

m88MlPv.jpg

Z0PueWV.jpg

In any case, Angela can now finally go to sleep.

bRBoj0u.jpg

EozdLOG.png
They wanted to discuss something before turning in for the night.

yMCelzA.png
Well, that’s their business, isn’t it? Thank you for helping to set the camp for the night.

yMCelzA.png
Piet has laid out your bedroll – it’s the one with the yellow blanket over by the fire. Sleep well, comrade!

XZYnEaL.jpg

However, in the midst of the night Angela is rudely awakened by the captain. There’s a pirate attack!

ZiGdWD6.jpg

Angela is soon stormed by two hoodlums.

1wbH1b9.jpg

Q0MPWoC.jpg

QzYxDv1.jpg

Angela is not the bestest fighter but manages to take out the pair of thugs.

FgdM5GF.jpg

w4ta4P6.jpg

The third pirate attacking Angela carries a big hammer.

YpbahxR.jpg

nTMDQxD.jpg

After defeating the third pirate Angela notices the captain in trouble.

pkBrHZG.jpg

688G4mP.jpg

Rushing to help the captain, she is cowardly attacked from behind and knocked out.

10bnu1q.jpg

3YxOSpT.jpg

hbGWAt1.jpg

Last edited:

drexciya

Augur
Agreed on this game being underrated. Interesting character system and world. Some crafting in there as well. The only bad thing is the lack of actual blocking options in combat. It's simply not possible to shield your weaker characters, which is common in other games. Then again, your average weak character (mage) can get a Shield like spell (Armatrutz I think) and become something like a tank.

Compared to the first game there's less mob fights and way more content. Also some choices in handling certain situations. I really liked the roguish approach to one of them (sowing discontent) and the reaction of the various companions to that.

I do hope that this game and it's predecessor become available on GOG, since I had lots of problems running the game on Windows 7. It takes ages to get through the DVD check.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
:bounce: taken down by pirates. clothes plundered. :bounce:
doujin potential: high

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 2: Arrival

mEHaS1W.jpg

Angela awakens to the sound of familiar quarreling voices.

At3NfCF.jpg

XcemGgR.png
By Angrosh’s beard, look at this bump… filthy cowards.

OKlt61R.png
Whoever survives a blow like this must rank high in Phex’s favor.

XcemGgR.png
Maybe someone like that is just a tough nut to crack... You with your Phex all the time, bah!

WrxAShL.jpg

OKlt61R.png
Oh yeah? And how about that time, when you and Forgrimm ... oh… seems like someone is coming around.

rGnrPRG.jpg

XcemGgR.png
Baroshem.

OKlt61R.png
It is an honor.

m0WQljd.png
And I am… uhhh… oh well, just call me Ardo.

EozdLOG.png
My name is Angela Merkel. Forgive me, but ... I'm a bit confused. Where are we? What happened to our ship? Where are the guys who attacked us?!

m0WQljd.png
I see, yes. You were... emm... unconscious. Just take your time to ask any questions and you'll get an answer.

EozdLOG.png
Where am I? And why was I lying here on the pier?

m0WQljd.png
You are in Nadoret. Captain Albass was in a hurry to set sail. He told us that you also wanted to go to Nadoret. So we said we would care for you until you recovered.

OKlt61R.png
Of course, we would have put you up at an inn. But you beat us to the punch and here you are, on the pier and conscious. You recovered very quickly indeed.

EozdLOG.png
That explains everything. I really am feeling somewhat better now. Thank you!

EozdLOG.png
What happened after I got injured?

XcemGgR.png
It was like this: when I saw what the gutless thugs had done to you, I jumped in the middle of a bunch of the cowards - I must have given about a dozen of them a good whupping ...

EozdLOG.png
A whole dozen? I really am deeply indebted to you, Forgrimm. It's only thanks to you that I'm still alive.

XcemGgR.png
Well, it's not even worth mentioning. I...

OKlt61R.png
That's the truth... Forgrimm forgot to mention that his dozen opponents were so demoralized by my fencing skills that they just gave up fighting - at least those who hadn't been already knocked out by the reek of alcohol on his breath.

XcemGgR.png
Bah! 'Fencing skills' - don't make me laugh! They couldn't stop laughing when they saw you waving that thing in the air like an idiot - and you can't fight when you're laughing! If I were you, I'd...

m0WQljd.png
That's enough, you two! If you had been able to forget your vanity for a while, these cowards would never have got away from us... and now we're back where we started!

EozdLOG.png
Excuse me, but what do you mean by 'back where we started'? Did you want to be attacked?

OKlt61R.png
Ha ha ha, did you hear that? Who likes to be attacked, eh? No, no... it's the merchandise that we lost when we were attacked. Without it, we're back to where we started!

EozdLOG.png
Whatever. At any rate I'm grateful to you for rescuing me. To all of you.

EozdLOG.png
Why were you so stand-offish at the field camp earlier?

m0WQljd.png
Oh, don't take that so seriously. We just didn't want to be disturbed. And we didn't know who was skulking around our camp. Pardon our... gruff manner...

EozdLOG.png
Ach, let's forget the whole thing. After all, you did save my life.

EozdLOG.png
What about Janah, the sailor? Did she survive the ambush?

m0WQljd.png
She got a couple of scratches, but nothing serious. The Captain thinks she'll be on her feet again in a couple of days.

EozdLOG.png
That's a weight off my mind. I'm glad she's doing well.

EozdLOG.png
Now that I come to think about it, I have no time to be standing around chatting. See you soon.

m0WQljd.png
You are right. Enough talking. It's good to see you on your feet again - we too have to move on.

EozdLOG.png
Wait! Is there anything I can do for you during my apprenticeship here? After all, I owe you my life.

m0WQljd.png
Hmm ... I believe you could. Keep your eyes and your ears open. Perhaps you'll hear a snippet or two of information about the river pirates. Come tell me in the 'Leaping Stag' if you hear anything.

m0WQljd.png
Before I forget: Forgrimm, Cano, you both already know what to do. Let's go, we have no time to lose!

After the three leave Angela is now on her own again with a new quest in quest book.

paR62xj.jpg

A few steps away from the landing is a quarrel between a dwarf and the apparent harbormaster.

oJPP5ob.jpg

Strangely enough Angela is addressed by the Dwarf.

ZxqDRXp.jpg

EozdLOG.png
If you so wish. May I ask what you want?

ILSonW7.png
The Riverfather and his Voice observe all things that take place on the river. Use caution in your deeds and plans! We will be observing you!

EozdLOG.png
I, er ... am not quite sure what you're trying to tell me, but thank you for your advice anyway.

The ill-tempered harbormaster chimes in immediately.

e2aTj7N.jpg

ILSonW7.png
Day in and day out, you let your burdens be carried on his back! Therefore you should pay homage to him and honor him. His...

anpPRXX.png
I've had enough of you! Get out of here now and leave the people in peace!

EozdLOG.png
Just a moment. I want to hear what he has to say.

anpPRXX.png
And you! Keep your nose out of my business, if you please! That fellow isn't welcome here! He ...

ILSonW7.png
There is more to lose here than mortals could ever know. So beware of the dark tentacles! Otherwise death and destruction will befall you!

ILSonW7.png
But you are also the protector of hope and power. One seam in the fabric of life. Find me on the Isle of Forgetting which is now marked on your map. It is there that destiny is to be fulfilled.

anpPRXX.png
Enough, you stinking piece of flotsam! Leave this place right now - and take your raft with you! You have blocked my jetty long enough today!

ILSonW7.png
You may be the master of the harbor here - but you aren't Lord of the River. Nevertheless, I'll do what you ask. However... only until the next time, Farewell... Orbert.

The oddball dwarf leaves but marked a new location on the world map, the Isle of Forgetting.

bjvfppy.jpg

TMKYIQx.jpg

With the dwarf gone the harbormaster now directs his attention to Angela.

anpPRXX.png
Where are you headed for, if I may ask?

EozdLOG.png
I'm in Nadoret to complete my training. My name is Angela Merkel.

anpPRXX.png
How nice for you. Then you can disappear from my harbor - now.

EozdLOG.png
Your wish is my command, gramps. Just as soon as you've told me where I can find Medicus Moddlemash.

anpPRXX.png
Who, Moddlemash? I must be hearing things. If you really want to become a Medicus, here's a piece of advice for you: Don't go to that charlatan - find another trainer.

EozdLOG.png
Please - no more lectures... just tell me where he is.

anpPRXX.png
All right, if that's the way you want it... But don't say I didn't warn you! You'll find him somewhere in the cavern below Nadoret. I'll mark the location on your map.

EozdLOG.png
Who was that peculiar dwarf?

anpPRXX.png
Him? That was old Emmeran! He's a crank who believes that the Riverfather sent him to us personally. Just ignore him.

EozdLOG.png
Could you tell me anything about the recent pirate attacks, or do you know anyone who could give me a report on them?

anpPRXX.png
Pirates, bah! The whispering about those horror stories is starting to wear on my nerves. Only ignorant peasants believe nonsense like that.

anpPRXX.png
Of course there are pirates, there have always been pirates. The minute more than one boat is attacked, you hear that pirates are in control of the entire Great River.

EozdLOG.png
Begging your pardon, but I was attacked by pirates myself on the way here. We anchored several miles before Nadoret and were surprised in the night.

anpPRXX.png
That proves nothing! That just means that you didn't select your mooring place very well. Things like that just happen sometimes...

EozdLOG.png
I'm sure Captain Albass was not careless in selecting our mooring place. Anyway, you must know something, whether you believe the stories or not.

anpPRXX.png
Enough! I've already wasted too much time with all these fairytales about pirates. Ask the merchants here at the harbor. They're more talkative than a crowd of fishwives! But in the name of the Twelve, leave me in peace!

Orbert leaves Angela to herself. The Nadoret harbor is dominated by a yuge statue of Baron Dajin.

lxGPSsJ.jpg

There’s a Beilunk rider in the harbor, they’re basically the Aventurian DHL.

fqjPlkv.jpg

r0NaEYQ.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Greetings! May I ask your name?

kQFR4Rt.png
But, of course! I’m Ardach Pinewood, of the Beilunk Riders!

EozdLOG.png
The Beilunk Riders?

kQFR4Rt.png
I’m a mounted courier! The Beilunk Riders are the best and fastest messengers in all of Aventuria!

kQFR4Rt.png
We carry news and packages to the most remote corners of the Realm. Maybe I’ll have something for you now and then, who knows.

EozdLOG.png
You’re not from Beilunk?

kQFR4Rt.png
Ahem, no, that’s only where our original guild building is located, that’s the reason behind the name. Our headquarters have been based in Gareth for some time now. And as for me, I come from Albernia.

The huckster in the harbor sells mostly useless crap but has a small task and some information for Angela.

ZR3dzvo.jpg

Ehwl1m0.png
Welcome to Olbin’s Emporium!

h43TrjX.jpg

Btw: 1 gold ducat = 10 silver thalers = 100 copper farthings.

EozdLOG.png
What's interesting here in town? Where can you experience something exciting?

Ehwl1m0.png
Try the undercroft ... I've heard that there are lots of Phexian delights there.

EozdLOG.png
I'd like to know more about the pirates who've been making the Great River unsafe recently.

EozdLOG.png
Oho, that really is something, isn't it? Everyone's talking about these pirate robberies. And some of the stories going around are really fantastical, I tell you...

Ehwl1m0.png
Just by chance, I overheard two of the river folk saying that the attacks were going on because the pirates had a competition going. They're all looking for a treasure trove that's supposed to have been lost in the river.

EozdLOG.png
That really does sound exciting. Perhaps you know someone else who might know something about them?

Ehwl1m0.png
About the pirates? You could ask old Greyhair. That crafty old fox has ears everywhere. You'll probably find him near the market, trying to beg, steal or borrow a farthing or two.

Ehwl1m0.png
Oh! I almost forgot about Bailiff Rabig. If anyone knows about that he does. During the day you'll find him at the town's South Gate. Perhaps he can help you.

EozdLOG.png
Good. Thank you for your help.

EozdLOG.png
By the way, do you perhaps have a small task for me?

Ehwl1m0.png
Oh yes, I am glad you asked... The innkeeper of the Mellow Ox has ordered some merchandise. Please take it to him in the tavern. He will surely reward you for doing this. You will find the tavern to the north of Nadoret.

EozdLOG.png
I’ll see what I can do…

Funnily enough, after talking to Olbin Angela notices Baron Dajin himself strolling into the harbour. Using Etiquette on him nets a thaler.

wLPAwBn.jpg

SOP4eDT.jpg

ivgVmz5.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Do you know that pirates are marauding the lands hereabouts? My ship was attacked!

KzR4xmc.png
Pirates? Around here? How dreadful! You know, you should really hand in a petition to my servants in the castle, then I'll deal with it right away.

KzR4xmc.png
After the preparations for my next party are complete, of course! Now then, away with you, we would like to continue our stroll.

EozdLOG.png
…Farewell, your Lordship.

Dajin basically came to the harbor to admire his own statue… fuck the aristocracy.

qEGacvQ.jpg

On the way to the Mellow Ox tavern Angela passes an oddly situated tower.

do1sIfE.jpg

Apparently the tower belongs to a goatherder.

waNsFK6.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Greetings! Er ... and how are the goats doing?

Kfhg8A9.png
Oh, they're doing splendidly. My pride and joy, those three beauties... and of course my tower.

EozdLOG.png
Your tower?

Kfhg8A9.png
Well, some fine day we'll go on a journey... I only have to wait until I've got everything ready...

Kfhg8A9.png
I don't suppose you'd have any tinder fungus on you, would you?

EozdLOG.png
What do you want tinder fungus for?

Kfhg8A9.png
I want to make a fire. There’s nothing better than tinder fungus for that. Nothing burns better...

EozdLOG.png
I'm sorry, I don't have any tinder fungus on me.

Kfhg8A9.png
Ahhh, that’s a shame…

Kfhg8A9.png
The next time you have any, I'll be happy to buy it from you.

This tinder fungus matter is related to an easter egg, but you need to sell him >100 and tinder fungus is not that abundant… maybe we’ll get there.

The Mellow Ox is just outside Nadoret; at this point it is useful to mark as many fast travel points on the map as possible – something the first Drakensang lacked.

u2DzKsp.jpg

bF6dchW.jpg

Delivering the package nets a small monetary award… every bit is useful at this point.

1Zh9Yei.jpg

Slightly east of the tavern is a small hamlet with a Boron’s field (cemetery) and a sick womyn.

xNvSbpT.jpg

eiooqYD.jpg

Zj6Lbip.jpg

EozdLOG.png
What happened?

9yqR6x6.png
... but I just wanted ... ugh ... just wanted a prince ... I thought ... at the mage tower ... at the pond ... how naïve I was ...

EozdLOG.png
I don’t understand.

9yqR6x6.png
... the big frog ... I ... I kissed it ... I ... ugh ...

EozdLOG.png
... poor girl. Hold on, I’ll try to find some Golmoon Tea. That should help.

Not far north from the hamlet is the mage tower the girl mentioned. If the main character is a mage archetype he/she is sent here to complete his/her training.

vMCTV6w.jpg

The golmoon tea the girl needs can be bought at the healer at the harbor.

vinRluP.jpg

kfnF9Am.jpg

xhBrjcn.jpg

This small task nets another small sum of money.

0RaeXsy.jpg

9yqR6x6.png
Thanks ... without your help I would surely be ... I don’t even want to think about it. Because of such silliness.

9yqR6x6.png
Here, please take this as a gift. It’s all I have.

EozdLOG.png
Only if you insist…

4DcAMjS.jpg

Entering the city proper, Angela notices a henpecked husband chased by womyn armed with rolling pin… the game has a lot of these neat little details.

afN8KaN.jpg

At the small marketplace south of the city barracks are the armor merchant Proximus and weapon merchant Bakur… they sell some very powerful and very expensive equipment right off the bat.

Deyv3VA.jpg

LJk0rhH.jpg

For now, though, Angela will settle for some dress gloves which look gud on her.

lk3rQqk.jpg

Bakur sells a foil which is better than the épée but too expensive for now…

x9kPUmI.jpg

The shields he sells are not that great since they put a penalty on attack rating.

k9cRUBf.jpg

rhkbkWu.jpg

On the way to the great marketplace Angela runs into an Efferd deont. He’s likely to have some strong opinion on this “Riverfather”.

OaWDhDy.jpg

oTgyAwj.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Yes, please tell me about Efferd.

N2COKXT.png
From wind to storm, from ebb tide to high tide - that is the eternal cycle of the tides and of life itself. The God of Water takes what he desires... but he can be pacified.

EozdLOG.png
What can you tell me about the Great River?

N2COKXT.png
It is as unpredictable as Efferd himself! Sometimes temperamental and dangerous, then calm and quiet. However, like every river it bends to the will of Efferd, who leads it back to the sea.

EozdLOG.png
Do you believe that there is a “Riverfather”?

N2COKXT.png
Ha ha ha ha! Maybe in the form of a talking fish, eh? Heh heh! That is just superstitious humbug! It is heresy! Efferd alone has power over the river, and his waters and winds take many forms.

EozdLOG.png
What do you think of that Brother Emmeran fellow?

N2COKXT.png
Ah, the Voice of the Riverfather! Don't you find that simply absurd as well? Superstitious fear makes some illiterate fishermen and river travelers hail him as the envoy... or maybe they feel sorry for him.

In general, in the Middenrealm all belief outside the Twelvegods is considered with extreme prejudice if not hostility. Only the Tulamides’ belief in Rastullah (some kind of Overgod) is somewhat tolerated.

In fact, in past Ages there were different ‘gods’ ruling in Alveran (some of the Twelvegods are in fact Gigants) and different races ruling Aventuria (ranging from Elves to lizardmen and spiders).

The marketplace proper is located right by the Temple of Praios with some interesting merchants around.

EMi0Zvs.jpg

Marcusi the Tailor has a p. yuge assortment of clothing. Angela buys here a fitting hat.

EKT59Nt.jpg

rKEzD9n.jpg

jRRuzkk.jpg

The beggar fellow Olbin talked about is around here… strangely enough the same fat dude that was near the Beilunk rider is here too…

OLtuMxE.jpg

foErMBZ.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Perhaps. Do you know anything about the pirates that have been preying on the shipping on the Great River?

l1zcB7K.png
Heh heh, very well. There’s already some talk going around about why no one has managed to get these fellows. People are saying that the pirates can make their ships invisible by magic!

EozdLOG.png
Hm, an interesting story. That would explain how they manage to escape so quickly!

l1zcB7K.png
Please, will you give me some alms? One hand washes the other.

EozdLOG.png
Here, take this farthing.

l1zcB7K.png
Praois protect you! Do you want me to tell you anything else?

EozdLOG.png
What can you tell me about the town?

l1zcB7K.png
Oh, a lot. It depends on what you want to know.

EozdLOG.png
Are there any places of interest beyond the town walls?

l1zcB7K.png
Way to the south is the Tollgate Thûrstone. If you want to stop at a cozy place to have a drink outside of town, visit the tavern to the north, on the towpath at the river bank, and just to the northeast you’ll find Boron's Field ... but you probably don’t want to go there ... heh heh.

Auralia the Alchemist sells potions, recipes and is also a trainer. Plus she has a small task.

kdZb2Wx.jpg

HvnknN5.jpg

It’s easy to convince the rowdy peasants for a free beer and attain their true form.

JrjzkeD.jpg

FG0UvGq.jpg

RclD15W.jpg

Helping Auralia gives another small sum of money.

61UkTRH.jpg

Angela buys here also the recipe for Oneberry juice and wound powder. The oneberry juice is the poor man’s healing potion but very easy to produce with abundant ingredients.

njyxuJ1.jpg

KY761oa.jpg

Angela may want to learn Alchemy later on but for now will settle for Arcane Lore used to identify magic items.

vF5Oxs5.jpg

Outside the Praios Temple Angela buys a paper, providing some background information.

A couple of these events refer to P&P campaigns.

Nx94eSk.jpg

ED4Kzxa.jpg

FSjLIim.jpg

Though Praios may be God of the Sun, the Temple is a solemn and dreary place. Praios Church is known for its zealotry and Inquisition.

A book in the temple reveals some information. The Praios Church particularly loathe witches since these are adherents of Sumu, Praios’ old enemy.

LukV1t1.jpg

jxcLM8f.jpg

cdM2Rdb.jpg

Talking to the deont does not really reveal anything interesting. Just as stuck up as the Efferd deont.

FzSqdov.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Tell me a bit about Praios.

DS1JlIO.png
Praios the Sovereign God, Ruler over the Gods. His all-seeing eye is the sun that moves over the firmament, burning the evil-doers, for truth and order are his highest goods.

Angela can return a book here to the deont’s apprentice for some paltry adventure points. Fuck those losers.

m6ookiL.jpg

At the south gate of the town is the bailiff Angela needed to talk to. Cano & Forgrimm are around here too, quarreling again.

33sGPVm.jpg

tOwjzVt.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I’ve found out something about the pirates.

OKlt61R.png
Indeed? Then you should hurry over to the tavern and report to Ardo.

JSDAGPd.jpg

yDvb6HM.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Perhaps. As a member of the Town Guard I’m sure you are aware of what has been going on around here. Have you heard anything about the recent pirate raids?

I2a8lmL.png
Yes, as a bailiff I hear quite a lot about what’s going on. However, I don't have much to say about the pirate attacks. It’s rumored that their ringleader has lizard blood in his veins.

EozdLOG.png
Hhm, interesting. Thank you for your help.

I2a8lmL.png
You don’t really want to pick a fight with them, do you? If there are really any lizard monsters behind it, I would be very cautious if I were you.

EozdLOG.png
I’ll be careful. Thank you again.

Now it’s time to report to Ardo at the Leaping Stag located at the marketplace.

KJvngjE.jpg

MH3CklB.jpg

MLcKXf8.jpg

4UrmKC8.jpg

EozdLOG.png
As a matter of fact I did, and from a huckster. He said he had happened to overhear two of the river folk talking about the pirates.

m0WQljd.png
That's not much, but at least something I suppose... what did they say?

EozdLOG.png
Well, that all these attacks were taking place because the pirates had a competition going. Apparently they're all looking for a treasure that's supposed to have been lost in the river. What kind of a treasure it is remains a mystery.

m0WQljd.png
This should help us somewhat. Please take these farthings as a small token of my support. Did you find out anything else?

EozdLOG.png
Bailiff Rabig has taken me into his confidence regarding a rumor about the pirate leader.

m0WQljd.png
And? Does it have anything to do with the pirate attacks?

EozdLOG.png
Not directly. But he did tell me that people are saying that the pirate leader is of lizard blood.

m0WQljd.png
This should help us somewhat. Please take these farthings as a small token of my support. Did you find out anything else?

EozdLOG.png
I was able to find out something about the pirates from a local panhandler, Old Greyhair.

m0WQljd.png
Aha! And what did he tell you?

EozdLOG.png
If I've understood him correctly, people are saying that the pirates can use magical means to make their ships invisible. That's why it's so difficult to arrest them.

m0WQljd.png
Thank you for asking around. But now you must turn your attentions to successfully concluding your apprenticeship, otherwise I'll feel guilty.

Now this small quest is finished. It is time for Angela to find Caius Cosades.

t39pYeM.jpg

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Agreed on this game being underrated. Interesting character system and world. Some crafting in there as well. The only bad thing is the lack of actual blocking options in combat. It's simply not possible to shield your weaker characters, which is common in other games. Then again, your average weak character (mage) can get a Shield like spell (Armatrutz I think) and become something like a tank.

Compared to the first game there's less mob fights and way more content. Also some choices in handling certain situations. I really liked the roguish approach to one of them (sowing discontent) and the reaction of the various companions to that.

I do hope that this game and it's predecessor become available on GOG, since I had lots of problems running the game on Windows 7. It takes ages to get through the DVD check.
Grab cracked versions, they have no problems with disk check. Company is out of business already so no big loss for them. BTW it has problems with W10, thus beware.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I finished the first game and couldn't stand it.
There's only so much barrel smashing I could stand.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I finished the first game and couldn't stand it.
There's only so much barrel smashing I could stand.
I avoided barrel smashing when it wasn't required for story mission. I think ONE barrel has vital proof of crime. So aside of that, you doesn't need to smash barrels.
As long as you don't roleplay this guy.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Second game has like 1/4 of barrels and fewer trash mobs. Combat is still horrible, of course. But imho it really captures the Dark Eye universe and as I said before, the german version has wonderful VA. Normally I can't stand our current crop of voice actors and dubbing artists, this is good, though.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 3: Silverfox

Angela finds an entrance to the Nadoret Undercroft near the Praios Temple.

3tNfV71.jpg

An arena is located in the undercroft, Moddlemash works there as “medicus”.

vukRqwj.jpg

tUjhrs4.jpg

blWLRYq.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Phex be with you. I, too, am en route in the name of the Vixen...

0Onj2lX.png
Medicus Moddlemash at your service!

0Onj2lX.png
What seems to be the problem?

EozdLOG.png
They say you know the Silver Vixen!

0Onj2lX.png
So, is that what they're saying? And who is asking?

EozdLOG.png
Someone who owns the snuffbox of a certain Garetian town guard. I've heard that the Vixen is extremely interested in it.

0Onj2lX.png
Hmm, that is indeed true... Then I won't keep you any longer. Go back a short way, turn right over the bridge and keep to the left. You'll see a nasty looking fellow there called Sandor.

0Onj2lX.png
Tell him you want to see 'Dilga', and ask him if he's 'on the lookout for golden geese'. Then he'll let you pass.

EozdLOG.png
Thank you, Moddlemash.

The guy named Sandor is not far off, seemingly guarding a wicket of sorts.

ET3U9LV.jpg

UXD8rZi.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I want to see “Dilga”!

4ogPxaU.png
That’s what a lot of people want!

EozdLOG.png
Yes, and that’s why you’re 'on the lookout for golden geese!'

4ogPxaU.png
So you do belong to our guild after all! I thought so right off.

EozdLOG.png
I’m looking for the Silver Vixen.

4ogPxaU.png
Then step into Nadoret's Thieves' Guild and ask for Dilga Panek ...

4ogPxaU.png
Come on in!

EozdLOG.png
Sure.

Inside Angela finally encounters the mysterious Silver Vixen.

v2zuMcu.jpg

ccWq0Xq.jpg

EozdLOG.png
My name is Angela Merkel. I request in all humbleness an audience with the Silver Vixen.

QkQp0Ry.png
She stands before you! I have already been informed of your arrival.

EozdLOG.png
I have here something you might like ... er where ... did I ... where is it?

QkQp0Ry.png
I took the liberty of investigating your pockets earlier...

Now, how did that even happen?

8ETZey5.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Indeed. But I managed it, as you can see.

QkQp0Ry.png
Madam Captain of the Garetian Town Guard will probably be quite unhappy ... Good going! How much do you want for the snuffbox?

EozdLOG.png
Would you show me a few tricks?

QkQp0Ry.png
Of course. But first let me see what you can already do.

EozdLOG.png
Gladly!

Angela needs to go through three not too difficult thievery trials.

ZGdwAhJ.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I will not disappoint the Silver Vixen.

The first test is about being sneaky.

IoE0Pjd.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I don’t need to be told that twice!

UxptNjM.png
Wonderful, but be careful!

The sneaking is easy, but the pickpocketing can be tricky if the rolls don’t go the right way…

YujzVLx.jpg

Obtaining each emblem is rewarded with 35 adventure points.

lZodIuD.jpg

gOmR10N.jpg

Odila dun goofed.

pPJprSx.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I can do that kind of thing with my eyes closed.

UxptNjM.png
Well, really, I’m impressed! Even a master thief gets into a sticky situation now and then. Just imagine if I had noticed you ...

UxptNjM.png
Hey, you, why are you fiddling around with my things?

Social skills are Angela’s specialty, so this isn’t too difficult.

YjndBaI.jpg

BhTMqk9.jpg

UxptNjM.png
What’s come over Dilga that she's sending you on this obstacle course? You’re much too good already ... well, then the next tasks shouldn't cause you any trouble, either. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

EozdLOG.png
That’s very kind of you. Thank you.

UxptNjM.png
Your next task is waiting for you in the next room. Hee hee, and save your flattery for the upstanding citizens out there.

Next test is lockpicking… but the lock is basic.

DZz4hIP.jpg

0iigXUt.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I guess I have to pick the lock.

q1Lju57.png
Very sharp thinking! If you're successful, then you'll get your emblem!

EozdLOG.png
Then I guess I’ll try my luck!

q1Lju57.png
Another thing! You know that it’s very hard to open a lock with your bare hands. You can ask me if you need tools to do it.

q1Lju57.png
Here, try it with that.

A hairpin makes lockpicking somewhat easier. With bare hands there would be a -10 penalty to the lockpick rolls.

0wvHzkX.jpg

coNg3yy.jpg

i4HX55A.jpg

q1Lju57.png
Not bad, you made it! I hope you are successful with the next trial!

The next test is trap related. Thing with traps is your perception needs to be high enough to even detect them, let alone disarm.

ft4SpGJ.jpg

0NDPgzA.jpg

There’s a basic trap in this test so it’s just easy.

EozdLOG.png
Find and disarm the trap? No problem.

DdaKbY3.jpg

h0AcRVq.jpg

WykgMdS.png
You have talent in disarming traps! You’ve earned the emblem for it. Here it is!

BdTRNV2.jpg

With three emblems in hand Dilga will be very impressed.

bCxjCnJ.jpg

QkQp0Ry.png
I like you. You have talent and will be a useful asset to our Guild. I welcome you!

EozdLOG.png
Thank you very much, Silver Vixen.

There are some perks to becoming an official member of the Nadoret Thieves Guild.

vlUGDDE.jpg

QkQp0Ry.png
Oh... and don't bother about anyone you meet up there. I gave them the use of the house to prepare their big Phexcapade ... you can speak to them if you wish, but do not waste too much time on them.

QkQp0Ry.png
So tonight you can get started right away, and give us some support. We want to break into a warehouse with Bardo.

q1Lju57.png
We’ll get this thing done, alright!

QkQp0Ry.png
Go on and take a stroll around town. Let me know when you're ready.

Upstairs in the Thieves Guild are the bunch of “master” thieves preparing their grand heist. Angela talks to the guy called Guildensternbag.

3tn1sQ2.jpg

OJYXeLL.jpg

GL8HY9q.jpg

EozdLOG.png
What exactly are you doing here?

F7iOFZ0.png
Ah, well, it’s actually very hush-hush, but now that you’re here, it probably won’t hurt if you are in on it.

F7iOFZ0.png
We’re ‘Danio Efferdian's Eleven Accomplices’ and are getting ready for our biggest Phexcapade yet!

EozdLOG.png
Who are Efferdian’s Eleven Accomplices?

F7iOFZ0.png
Well, for one there’s Efferdian. Of course, he’s the leader of our gang. Then there’s Linus and Reuben here, who are practicing their sneaking skills.

F7iOFZ0.png
Rosenbeck is very important to this enterprise, too. I assume he's working on the numbers again, after all, he's responsible for the planning. The two sleepers upstairs are the night foxes, our burglars.

F7iOFZ0.png
Then there are the two Hill Dwarf twins Ligriwosh and Crutwush for all kinds of diversionary tactics, and Herman, our man for disarming underhanded traps, is sitting in front and wants to be left alone.

F7iOFZ0.png
And finally, there’s me, Saul Guildensternbag, the man with the big plan!

More like Ten Accomplices…

EozdLOG.png
Impressive. You really do seem to have a man for everything ...

EozdLOG.png
And just what is your grand Phexcapade?

F7iOFZ0.png
Ha, well we would be pretty stupid to reveal our big plan to another thief. Let me just say that we’re planning everything to the last detail here.

EozdLOG.png
When do you plan to launch your Phexcapade?

F7iOFZ0.png
As soon as the preparations have been completed. Unfortunately, we have a little problem there ... two, to be exact.

F7iOFZ0.png
For one thing, Linus, who is playing the cook, still can't really cook properly ...

F7iOFZ0.png
And then we still have the problem that Efferdian tested that slop! Now he’s been out of commission for days … and without our ringleader, we can’t make our move … which goes without saying.

EozdLOG.png
It sounds as though you are having some problems with your Phexcapade. Do you need some help perhaps?

F7iOFZ0.png
What? No, no everything is going according to plan. Thanks for your offer, but we don't need any help ... after all, everything is planned perfectly. And it'll stay that way. There's nothing for you to do!

In Angela’s private room there’s a chest with some interesting items.

BWlp7gZ.jpg

The locksmith knife ensures Angela will never have to use her bare hands anymore when she’s out of hairpins.

BX2x0OD.jpg

Shadow robe looks like what Odila is wearing… attire too ugly for Angela.

K3zuxn3.jpg

The fables book is just a curiosity.

vTcEAzl.jpg

dfNTXDV.jpg

Interestingly, the main exit of the Thieves Guild is right on the marketplace… behind Marcusi the tailor.

5CQwTQu.jpg

M3G5rlg.jpg

After selling off some junk and some pickpocketing Angela buys the foil from Bakur.

X5NkWQ1.jpg

Regarding pickpocketing, common citizens of Nadoret rarely carry a lot of money let alone something of worth and are easiest to pickpocket. The richer citizens are harder to pickpocket but can carry a lot more money. Fancier clothes = more reward.

k8K5x7Y.jpg

FMbkhCM.jpg

Unlike the first Drakensang game, it is possible to try again after failing to pickpocket. However, the pickpocket difficulty is overall much higher. Even common citizens add a difficulty of between 5 and 10 to the rolls.

(Actually the above is a bit incorrect but more on that later. Suffice to say that in the first Drakensang the pickpocket was a simple skillcheck. Not so in River of Time).

After getting the foil it is time for Dilga’s mission.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 4: Night mission

R7brrAq.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I'm ready for our venture tonight.

QkQp0Ry.png
Excellent! There is a warehouse at the harbor. I want to know what kind of wares are stored there. Take a look around, but don't pocket anything! Then report to me here.

EozdLOG.png
That sounds very easy.

QkQp0Ry.png
Watch out for the night watchmen. Try to avoid them and... if it does come to a fight, no one may be killed! The Nadoret Foxes are no murderers and cutthroats.

EozdLOG.png
Understood.

QkQp0Ry.png
In the time before sundown, I'll show you some tricks in the Phex-pleasing art of opening doors. You'll need the 'Pick Locks' ability tonight.

For this job Bardo joins Angela.

Y2Mp1HW.jpg

EozdLOG.png
We don’t want to be discovered.

q1Lju57.png
Right. Our target is the southern warehouse at the harbor. We'll try to break in through the door on the town side. Let's hope that Phex is favoring us today.

q1Lju57.png
Oh, yeah! If you don’t have any tools to pick locks, let me know. I have enough hairpins on me.

EozdLOG.png
That’s good to know. Let’s go.

The guards are easy to avoid but instead Angela and Bardo run into a band of thugs.

4438KOA.jpg

qMfWbFV.jpg

q1Lju57.png
Ferdo, I haven’t seen you in ages! Where have you been keeping yourself? Dilga was getting worried about you.

ZOjYXRR.png
Dilga can drop dead! I’m working on my own now! And you’re just in time to be my next customers! So hand over your dough!

EozdLOG.png
Thieves don’t rob thieves! And anyone who dares will face the wrath of Phex.

ZOjYXRR.png
I don’t care about Phex! I left the guild exactly because of the tiresome droning on about religion. So move it!

EozdLOG.png
Try that on someone else! I’m not handing over a single farthing!

Insulting Phex must be paid with blood I guess. The robbers quickly pay with their lives.

wSAy7Zl.jpg

srL30hE.jpg

After this there are no more incidents… the warehouse is reached past the construction site; conveniently, the guards are leaving in time.

GyTNy6k.jpg

46OjES3.jpg

LGv6YZW.jpg

Surprisingly, the warehouse is locked with a very simple lock.

2tsbQnl.jpg

q1Lju57.png
Good work! Let’s go in quickly, before someone comes!

Getting inside was only half the mission however.

aoXp8wa.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Right then, let’s do it!

q1Lju57.png
But remember, today we’re in the role of scouts! So nothing goes in our pockets.

iMDj9lJ.jpg

The chests Angela investigates only contain weapons, shields and armour.

gmyrC53.jpg

wkX7w1n.jpg

56DS2OY.jpg

743DkIV.jpg

Unfortunately, after checking out the chests a guard appears out of nowhere.

mr4hYDl.jpg

Note: if the main character is a fighter archetype, he/she will work with this retart.

q1Lju57.png
For Phex's sake, the bailiffs! Put your weapons away... and let's talk!

yVH7pLE.png
Ha ha ha... Can you hear the worm whining? I'm going to see the harbormaster, he'll be very interested to find out that you're in his warehouse!

yVH7pLE.png
Haldan, watch these two!

Haldan is an even bigger retart than Pagol. Interesting though that Pagol is running at the harbormaster instead of simply bringing in the two thieves to the barracks jail…

1BNhvbK.jpg

yVH7pLE.png
I'll do that! And when I come back, we'll have some fun, ha ha ha!

Haldan will get xtreme when Pagol is gone for some reason.

8fCoJiF.jpg

EozdLOG.png
You’re on your own!? Are you sure you want to scrap with us?

o4qdc5a.png
Alright, I’ll give you two one sentence. Then I’m going to bust your chops!

Angela fast talks the moran but it leads to combat anyway.

nZ2s37s.jpg

onQatbc.jpg

Angela does not have the money, but would not have paid anyway.

EozdLOG.png
I would like to give you the money, but I just don’t have enough!

o4qdc5a.png
Then you were riffraff after all. Ha ha ... clever of me to see through you, right? Now I’m going to wipe the floor with you!

EozdLOG.png
Alright then, I guess I don’t have any choice.

Haldan is armoured and wields a longsword, even two on one it is not that easy a fight.

6LRg6z2.jpg

rmS9j00.jpg

As soon as Haldan is defeated, however, more retarts show up.

hFqhbbn.jpg

yVH7pLE.png
Haldan! What happened to him?

EozdLOG.png
Haldan attacked us! We defended ourselves!

yVH7pLE.png
Why? He was only supposed to keep a lookout ...!

lV8ayDX.png
You stupid bailiffs. You can’t do anything right. Pagol, get lost. We’ll get rid of those rats in Orbert’s warehouse!

EozdLOG.png
All we did was take a look around!

lV8ayDX.png
Pretty darned stupid of you. Old Orbert doesn’t like it when strangers stick their noses in his business dealings!

q1Lju57.png
Get ready, it's no laughing matter now! I hope you’re in good form!

lV8ayDX.png
Stop the chitchat! Finish them off!

The thugs get their asses handed to them; unfortunately Bardo drags Angela out of the warehouse before she can even loot the corpses.

yH9i5Jn.jpg

msrTw3Z.jpg

bHqMEed.jpg

Reporting back to Dilga, she isn’t particularly fazed.

ce16CxB.jpg

EozdLOG.png
We searched the warehouse and found a lot of chests of armor. The items had a coat of arms depicting a blue griffin on a white ground ...

q1Lju57.png
... unfortunately, there was an unforeseen incident... The bailiffs surprised us while we were investigating the warehouse...

EozdLOG.png
... and one of them informed the harbor master. As you can see, we escaped.

QkQp0Ry.png
Pity, now they know they are being watched.

EozdLOG.png
Who do you mean, "they"? The harbormaster and the bailiffs? What's going on here?

q1Lju57.png
The Silver Vixen has suspected for a while now that the harbormaster is mixed up in shady dealings.

QkQp0Ry.png
Yes, but I didn't think that he was dealing in weapons... strange, that coat of arms ... I've never heard of or seen it before...

EozdLOG.png
What happens now?

QkQp0Ry.png
I’d like to know what’s behind it all.

The second mission of Dilga’s is some stalking.

PEFvFJc.jpg

UxptNjM.png
Are you talking about that grumpy Orbert? He just had a heap of trouble at the southern toll house. Two of his henchman wanted to pass through the gate with a load of goods without being checked, but the bailiffs refused.

UxptNjM.png
Then Orbert pulled a special permit from Baron Dajin out of his sleeve. The bailiffs had no choice but to let them through. Now he’s standing at the East Gate giving his men further instructions.

QkQp0Ry.png
Excellent! Then you can start following these lads right now! It would be useful to know what they are transporting and where they are going.

EozdLOG.png
We’ll find out, Silver Vixen!

QkQp0Ry.png
May Phex guide your steps. Don't let them catch you! But if they do, you better have a good excuse ready and 'Fast Talk' the people!

The previous mission handed Angela a serious amount of leveling points to distribute. Still level 1, though.

lRZS6om.jpg

UOKVCJB.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 5: Stalker

Angela and Bardo find the harbormaster just outside the East gate.

vKUBM4J.jpg

Fg4J2wn.jpg

Following at a slight distance is enough to not get noticed, however when the henchmen are across the bridge some sneaking is required to eavesdrop.

nFicEOy.jpg

vN8FTL4.jpg

0DVfKQ9.jpg

paufpvu.jpg

edbWs6H.jpg

HaP80MD.jpg

3CN6BBC.jpg

FHpDW9D.png
Then I’ll go with you! You don’t know where the traps are that Runko and I have laid. You can’t be careful enough right now. There’s supposed to be a bloodthirsty wolf roaming around here.

FHpDW9D.png
Actually, Runko should be back here pretty soon. He just went off to set the last trap real quick ...

Unfortunately, Runko surprises Angela.

Y7y1qSg.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Oh…ah…hello everyone!

7Shds9e.png
Hm, you look familiar to me somehow!

EozdLOG.png
But that’s impossible. I only just arrived here from Benbukkula yesterday!

CqTb9IG.png
Very funny! I think someone should teach you some manners!

EozdLOG.png
I’m sorry, but I really don’t know what you’re after.

CqTb9IG.png
Believe me, you’ll get it real fast! Boys, go on ahead. I’m just going to shut up a loudmouth first!

7Shds9e.png
Well, make sure that you do a good job of it! Ha ha ha ha!

CqTb9IG.png
So now you’re going to get it!

So much for Fast Talk… not that Runko is any threat at all.

NOqOhyy.jpg

Du7zX3q.jpg

Hurrying back after the cart, Angela encounters a magician at the edge of the forest. Apparently the cart got into some major trouble.

iHEHqMh.jpg

JShTZQM.jpg

rYPxu9c.jpg

GISq18v.jpg

Shpsytk.jpg

EozdLOG.png
[Lie] I rushed over because I heard screams ... by Phex, what a dreadful sight!

h6KXzcq.png
Yes, the wolves really ravaged these fellows viciously. Strange that anyone would come up here at all... you wouldn't happen to know anything about this, would you?

EozdLOG.png
I have no idea, I'm just out for a little walk. Shouldn't we take a closer look at the bodies?

h6KXzcq.png
There's no time for that now! A diseased wolf is wreaking havoc here... and I have come to kill it. From the look of these corpses, the beast can't have gotten very far yet.

EozdLOG.png
Interesting! Well, go ahead. I'll cover your back ...

A blood wolf attacks after Angela and Hesindiane have barely taken two steps… bringing an entire wolf pack along.

XfPvENH.jpg

0pjA4TO.jpg

Yp6YHtn.jpg

Hesindiane is a powerful companion so the fight is no issue.

xzVL7ep.jpg

ZKTpxvM.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Before we attend to the victims, could you explain to me why you were hunting this creature?

h6KXzcq.png
The blood of this sick creature is an important ingredient for magic experiments. However - and no insult intended - I suspect you would not understand the details.

EozdLOG.png
Whatever you think ... alright, now what are we going to do with these guys?

h6KXzcq.png
Perhaps we should find out more about them first... let's see what they have on them...

h6KXzcq.png
Hmm... exotic food, different things... and a letter! Let's see... Hmm... signed with an "SB"... no arcane text, no alchemist's recipe, how boring.

EozdLOG.png
A letter? That certainly sounds interesting.

oMVfsuV.jpg

Hesindiane hands over the letter… but Angela does not yet know who “S.B.” is either…

ubHRU5E.jpg

At any rate, after Hesindiane leaves Angela is free to loot all and everything left behind.

0OxkWyb.jpg

There are some very expensive items in the cart… especially the Kosh bunting tongues is an item worth holding on to…

us7SIk7.jpg

QO07u3L.jpg

NUiX5Jr.jpg

Back in Nadoret, after selling excess loot Angela now buys some better boots.

SB04Ex1.jpg

Back in the Thieves Guild, this mission will conclude Angela’s training with Dilga.

KyhR1aK.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Exotic items and foodstuffs. Oh yes - and this letter ... it's signed "SB".

QkQp0Ry.png
Interesting! Did you also find out where they were delivered?

EozdLOG.png
Unfortunately not. They never reached their destination. Shortly before they entered the Dark Forest, they were attacked by wolves and killed.

QkQp0Ry.png
Wolves, attacking a caravan close to town? What does it mean?

EozdLOG.png
No idea, something about a Blood Wolf. The beast is dead, at any rate.

Angela now reaches level 2 and Dilga will throw in a Phex blessing (don’t forget she’s the local Phex deont).

IG8fer4.jpg

QkQp0Ry.png
For the second time now, you have rendered a useful service to the thieves of Nadoret. Permit me to reward you ...

04d8lQp.jpg

p26sgO1.jpg

HJCx3x9.jpg

eyS9r8R.jpg

nn7IBEZ.jpg

zZIFSTS.jpg

1tY0MEG.jpg

QkQp0Ry.png
I took the liberty of putting some small items in your pockets. You're always welcome here in the Guild.

QkQp0Ry.png
Perhaps I will have an assignment for you now and then. And I can surely teach you a few tricks as well.

EozdLOG.png
I’m sure of that, Silver Vixen!

Dilga actually has even better rewards…

qHvoKHL.jpg

EozdLOG.png
What do you mean?

QkQp0Ry.png
You could do much more with your life if you dedicated it to Phex. Perform one or two godly deeds and Phex will reward you with his blessing.

EozdLOG.png
That sounds tempting. I'm ready to earn his blessing. Let's get started.

QkQp0Ry.png
It is done. Welcome into our fold.

EozdLOG.png
What? That was all I had to do?

QkQp0Ry.png
Phex does not stand on ceremony. Your commitment to him will suffice. Should I tell you more about his miracles? As you can imagine, the cost is a little something, of course.

Dilga now becomes a trainer of both thief skills and miracles. Miracles are similar to D&D divine spells.

5fypavL.jpg

These Phex miracles are p. powerful and highly useful. The throw stars miracle will recharge on its own but the others are recharged by thievery related actions – like pickpocketing, fast talking or lockpicking.

koHcCOp.jpg

ulp27xG.jpg

zTL1nog.jpg

Dilga immediately has a new mission for Angela too.

E8p4r2h.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Then I’ll go and hazard that glance!

QkQp0Ry.png
But remember... no blood spilling, stay inconspicuous. If the chests are guarded, use your head.

EozdLOG.png
Of course. That’s what’s it for.

NXcFGBZ.jpg

The magic ring that Dilga put into Angela’s pocket, btw, will need higher Arcane Lore skill to be identified.

j5nlX88.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 6: New Allegiance

As soon as Angela leaves the Thieves Guild, she is approached by the fat man she’s been previously seeing all over town.

qr1Fuv4.jpg

EozdLOG.png
How do you know my name?

tzMvqNy.png
Now, now! Not so hasty! I didn't mean to barge into this. First of all, let me explain how you came to my notice.

tzMvqNy.png
The last stage of your 'tailor's training' here in Nadoret... was downright masterly. And the story about how you found everything out about the warehouse. Very valuable work.

EozdLOG.png
I don't know what that has to do with you. You should be careful: the 'tailoring trade' is more dangerous than you think. What do you want?

tzMvqNy.png
I'll get to that in a moment. But the most revealing part was the story about that... Blood Wolf. Pity it didn't spare any of the smugglers. They could probably have given us lots of information.

EozdLOG.png
Enough! How do you know all this? Who are you?

tzMvqNy.png
My name is Gerlin and my... 'office' requires me to see to it that I am always well informed about things. To put it bluntly, I ... stumbled across you ... so to speak ... during my investigation of the pirate attacks.

EozdLOG.png
You're on the trail of the river pirates?! What were you able to find out, and what do these ... these smugglers have to do with it?!

tzMvqNy.png
I don't know that myself yet, but I'm sure we'll find out soon. However, that is something we should discuss in a somewhat quieter location.

EozdLOG.png
You still haven't told me who you're working for.

tzMvqNy.png
When you get your teeth into something you just don't let go, do you? Heh heh... I like that about you. However, I regret that I must keep this information from you... for now. We really should discuss this in a quieter location.

EozdLOG.png
Hm. All right, agreed. After you.

tzMvqNy.png
Alright then. Follow me.

Gerlin leads Angela to a quiet place behind a house where she is introduced to Gerlin’s companions.

xskp5zs.jpg

Pg2RSxL.jpg

JoGe0X1.jpg

v5ca2Hx.jpg

XScYWpE.jpg

FX5Pt9z.jpg

5mq9eFf.jpg

coj8ak8.jpg

DwDOEaO.jpg

stjCbsy.jpg

tzMvqNy.png
So, what say you? Do we want to work together on this?

EozdLOG.png
I’m in, if you’ll actually tell me what’s going on.

tzMvqNy.png
My sources tell me that a ship will dock in the harbor tonight, after the curfew. It’s possible that stolen merchandise from the pirate attacks will be on board. Anyway, we'll take a close look at this situation.

EozdLOG.png
Loot from the pirate attacks? Hmm ... why Nadoret, of all places? I don't understand.

u3qMcVt.png
Nadoret is one of the last big trading posts before Ferdok. Perhaps the merchandise is to be transported on the road from here.

YPloVOT.png
And it's not certain if Nadoret is the only place on the river that is used for this purpose. It's possible that there's only one location which constantly changes.

EozdLOG.png
That's all very well. Nadoret still seems like an insecure turning point to me, though. The harbor is sure to be monitored by patrols during the curfew.

u3qMcVt.png
Normally you would be right about that. However, according to everything we were able to learn, there won't be any patrols tonight.

tzMvqNy.png
A tricky matter. The influence of the men behind this must reach farther than we supposed. The question now is... How far?

EozdLOG.png
It's no good. We'll only find out once we see the situation for ourselves. How do we want to proceed?

tzMvqNy.png
As soon as you are ready, Jaakon will take you to our meeting place when darkness falls. We'll discuss the last details there and leave together.

EozdLOG.png
I understand. Let's hope it all goes well.

Fayris warns Angela to prepare… she’s right of course. Besides there’s still some other stuff to do for Dilga.

m4m0VCa.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Of course. I'll prepare myself and then go to the tavern.

tzMvqNy.png
Well then, that's everything... right? Please excuse me. I also have some preparations to make. Oh, and... keep a low profile... not one word to anyone about our mission.

EozdLOG.png
As you wish. Until tonight.

No matter Gerlin’s words, it’s interesting now to return to Gilda. Now that Angela is in her good graces, she will reveal a lot. She apparently knows about Gerlin.

A3vS5xX.jpg

QkQp0Ry.png
Ardo? Never heard of him ... wait! Yes, I did know an Ardo once... Ardo Meadowbolt from Avestrue. A plump farmer with a well-filled purse.

EozdLOG.png
No, that's definitely not the one I mean. Does the name 'Forgrimm' mean anything to you? A Dwarf!

QkQp0Ry.png
Forgrimm? No, I only know a Fagrimm... a bad actor in a terrible theater in Riva... a real dive ... and he was a really ugly fellow.

EozdLOG.png
No, that's not him, either. Well, perhaps you know a Cano.

QkQp0Ry.png
Cano? Yes, I know a Cano! An Albernian with a good reputation... I mean, in our select circle, anyway...

EozdLOG.png
Yes, that's him. What can you tell me about him?

QkQp0Ry.png
Well, he's very ambitious as far as advancement in his Guild is concerned. I have heard rumors that his aim is to gain the title "King of Thieves" in Havena... but I don't know any further details.

EozdLOG.png
Interesting.

QkQp0Ry.png
Apart from that, he is Phex-pleasing and a good man. I know him personally, if that helps at all.

EozdLOG.png
Can you tell me more about the harbormaster?

QkQp0Ry.png
The harbormaster is corrupt and evil, and this business with the weapons must have been planned for a long time.

EozdLOG.png
But by whom?

QkQp0Ry.png
I couldn't tell you. We don't know enough about it. But be very careful if you're going to take these people on.

EozdLOG.png
I am.

EozdLOG.png
Do you know a Gerlin?

QkQp0Ry.png
Yes… but why do you want to know?

EozdLOG.png
He offered me a job.

QkQp0Ry.png
That's good to hear... he's a fine man. Very Phex-pleasing. I know him personally. However, I cannot tell you any more than that. I gave him my word.

EozdLOG.png
I understand. Did our break-in at the warehouse happen to have anything to do with it?

QkQp0Ry.png
I don't want to rule it out, but if you want to know more, then get on board.

EozdLOG.png
All right, I know what you mean.

EozdLOG.png
Tell me a little about the Silver Vixen.

QkQp0Ry.png
Glad to ... Well, as you already know, my specialty... is to have my fingers in the pockets of others. I earned a small fortune just by doing that and then I bought a small textiles shop in Festum...

QkQp0Ry.png
... I wanted to stop thieving from then on and pursue my true passion, tailoring... well, apart from a couple of finger exercises, perhaps... then Stover Regolan Stoerrebrandt spoiled all my plans...

QkQp0Ry.png
... he deliberately started a price war and caused my financial ruin. Well, Phex didn't want me to retire anyway. So I procured a large ... erm, settlement from Stoerrebrandt and moved to Nadoret.

QkQp0Ry.png
Here I formed a partnership with Marcusi the Tailor and built the local Phex Temple. Yes... he too is a true disciple of Phex.

At any rate, the last thing to do now is head to the harbor to look into that chest.

qgKR1cl.jpg

The chest is guarded by a Thorwalian woman but apparently there’s a worker involved with a “floozy” that Angela can make use of…

BsirMv8.jpg

Angela makes use of the “Phex’s favor” miracle here for the first time. This miracle will get increasingly powerful as the game goes on and greatly help with all thieving skills.

8AfwRQ7.jpg

QYdAS69.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I’d like to do some business with you.

xDpwoU6.png
Well, well, isn’t this interesting. Let’s see what you want, lassie.

EozdLOG.png
It’s about a friend of mine…

xDpwoU6.png
I’ve heard that line before…

EozdLOG.png
He works at the harbor…

xDpwoU6.png
Hm ... I don’t care what kind of crooked scheme you have up your sleeve. But that drives the price up, of course.

Seems some Fast Talk is required here.

mB5of5W.jpg

IM7VVLH.jpg

Floozy will tastefully seduce the worker… snitching on the worker will leave the chest unguarded.

F7S0LY8.jpg

8UdNgsB.jpg

VClc4px.jpg

Qvc4aCl.jpg

0fsSS5V.jpg

Returning to Dilga, as a reward Angela can now learn two new Phex miracles.

cAKBxfO.jpg

QkQp0Ry.png
By Phex, who would have thought that! It's truly a red herring.

tyfYsQv.jpg

The two new Phex miracles are again p. powerful and highly useful. Star Dust is another miracle that regenerates on its own.

VSYIH6w.jpg

ZtUQcW5.jpg

Odila will now also have a task for Angela; however this is a more advanced quest.

2INlJRx.jpg

UxptNjM.png
I just had a thought, would you like to play a Phex-pleasing little game?

EozdLOG.png
A game? That sounds interesting.

7VhZ5oe.jpg

The “four winds” refer to the guards at the north, east, west and south gates of Nadoret… but pickpocketing them is quite difficult. Angela will need to do this later when her Pickpocket skill is at least 10.

(Actually, I discovered later that the above is wholly incorrect. The Pickpocket is not a simple skill check, it’s all about positioning. Standing in front or to the side of the victim can easily mean adding 10 or more to the difficulty. However standing in exactly the right spot behind the victim will significantly lower the difficulty, sometimes even to zero).

rTzvvqp.jpg

Instead Angela learns Alchemy skill from Auralia and brews some potions and wound powder for the upcoming cafuffle.

82PSKyG.jpg

6bwZtHC.jpg

At this point Angela also garnered enough money to buy the Brabaci rapier, quite a nice weapon.

XITrkh5.jpg

It is now time to meet up with Jaakon behind the Leaping Stag.

uPjTWtM.jpg

Noodles

Novice
I had been meaning to pick this up and surprise this and the DLC are currently on steam sale. Have to abandon your LP though :salute:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 7: Three’s company

Might as well chat a bit before starting the mission proper.

nvWjd9s.jpg

u3qMcVt.png
Are you ready for our mission?

EozdLOG.png
Can I ask you a personal question?

u3qMcVt.png
Oh, I ... of course. You may.

EozdLOG.png
What is your profession? You don’t exactly look like a warrior. More like a Fountlandish scholar, actually.

u3qMcVt.png
No, I don’t come from Fountland originally, even if a large part of my family feels very at home there. I studied at the Hall of Mercury in Festum. I didn’t stick with it very long there.

Fountland is called Bornland in German; North East of Middenrealm with as capital Festum.

EozdLOG.png
What made you leave?

u3qMcVt.png
Too little practical work, too much theory. I actually had looked forward to studying there. After all, the academy had a reputation for undertaking frequent expeditions to magical phenomena.

u3qMcVt.png
Only when I started my course of study there did I get the sense that the numerous discussions on magic theory were inconclusive and boring. Most of the time we sat around in the library and laboratory, waiting for the exploratory expeditions in vain. That's why I left.

EozdLOG.png
How about Gerlin? He hasn’t let much slip so far. I still don’t know who he is working for. Or you for that matter.

u3qMcVt.png
And you won’t get that information from me, either. Sorry. All I can tell you is that he is an outstanding friend and mentor, and that he never leaves any of his people in the lurch.

u3qMcVt.png
He thinks very highly of you for some reason. I guarantee you that you can trust him completely. I even surmise that ultimately we are pursuing the same goals. That’s all I can tell you about him.

EozdLOG.png
That Elf ... what was her name again? Fayris! How long have you known her?

u3qMcVt.png
Fayris Lynxeye, she is a Half-Elf, to be exact. Why do you ask?

EozdLOG.png
I’m just curious. After all, you know more about me by now than I know about you. Well?

u3qMcVt.png
Actually I began my service with Gerlin at just about the same time as she did. We met for the first time there. At first the teamwork wasn’t as successful as Gerlin had hoped.

u3qMcVt.png
But over the years we’ve overcome our differences to have a viable working relationship, as Master Gerlin likes to say. I think very highly of her. You won’t find a better scout anywhere.

Sounds like friendzone to me, breh.

EozdLOG.png
That’s all I wanted to know. I’m ready for our mission.

uuqCISg.jpg

Jaakon leads Angela to the back of the Praios Temple at night, as agreed. However there turn out to be some complications.

z8SxAXk.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Perhaps the harbor watch is on patrol after all and held them up.

u3qMcVt.png
Out of the question. We would have seen them in that case. No, it must ... psst ... someone’s coming!

Fayris comes rushing in a panic.

vREhrQY.jpg

Nn1kaIJ.jpg

u3qMcVt.png
What’s the matter with Gerlin? What happened?!

YPloVOT.png
We were ... he wanted to check on something. The smugglers captured him, I ... I couldn’t intervene.

u3qMcVt.png
Curses! How could he be so careless?! Something ... must have rattled him. Could you see where they took him?

YPloVOT.png
No, I ... I didn’t want to endanger Gerlin in any way. One of them muttered something about 'the two big warehouses' and 'the only way into the harbor district'.

u3qMcVt.png
Hmm ... if we want to rescue Gerlin, we’ll have to sneak through those warehouses whether we want to or not. Hurry! Who knows what they’re planning to do with him!

EozdLOG.png
You’re right. We’ve no time to lose.

iVcGZb1.jpg

Y1Mu2mt.jpg

Now we control a party of three, let’s take a closer look at Fayris and Jaakon.

Jaakon is a battlemage; his initial skill distribution is the following.

lRTLAdT.jpg

Guess dropping out of that Festum school explains the lack of Alchemy… also not sure at all about his high Etiquette not to mention Etiquette bonus… does he come from a noble family?

His initial spell distribution is the following.

nYHzfF9.jpg

Unfortunately, he lacks any healing spells at all.

Elemental minion, though, is p. powerful. The minion is highly useful since it can perform a couple of special melee skills and sets opponents on fire.

QEw2QHE.jpg

Fastness of Body (Armatrutz) is a spell that makes mages as well armoured as knights but without the encumbrance.

RVlkw5F.jpg

Ignifaxus is quite powerful but takes long to cast and costs a lot of astral energy.

YaiEfCR.jpg

Thunderbolt is likely the most damaging spell but comes with the highest astral energy cost.

NXzAKVo.jpg

Lightning Find You (Blitz Dich Find) can be useful but the very short duration is ludicrous. In P&P this spell is mostly used to distract an opponent and gtfo.

nj2hfmt.jpg

When it comes to Attribute boosting spells, boosting Strength and Constitution is overall the most useful.

LwRDrIU.jpg

hUPJWuF.jpg

Sleep of a Thousand Sheep (Somnigravis) is useful but a spell more inclined for healing mages who have higher Charisma. The spell is only really effective with high SP*.

Also annoyingly Jaakon could not identify Dilga’s magic ring despite his higher Arcane Lore score.

7xuDAF0.jpg

Now let’s take a look at Fayris.

REGjBrI.jpg

As a ranger she comes with some much needed nature skills but I’m not too sure about her high traps skill not to mention traps bonus… traps are overall not that useful tbh. Also her high skill in Treat poison/wounds is a bit of a waste considering she has all necessary healing spells (then again, astral energy pools are limited).

Fayris also comes with some unusual equipment… a normal longbow takes 1 combat round to reload. Also she’s pantless which may be highly distracting if not triggering.

P9496Ie.jpg

YTUuX4U.jpg

Since Fayris has Elven blood she can naturally cast spells except for some human-only spells like Ignifaxus, Ignisphaero, Duplicatus, etc.

x5Tw5WW.jpg

Fayris has her own summoning spell (most other summon spells are human-only). As her level increases with different modifier different animals can be summoned.

4bZUl0a.jpg

As mentioned before, she has two useful healing spells.

t4Sa1Fv.jpg

6jpn4ET.jpg

Fayris also comes with two spells of Elven origin.

Funnily enough one of the spells is called Ear of Lynx when Fayris is called Lynxeye.

a9GrRK9.jpg

Hawkeye spell is very useful since it will boost her RC from 15 to 18 with high SP*.

62Dz67M.jpg

Combat wise Fayris will focus on the bow but she has some melee skill too. If we want to she could even go the saber route.

dazTRRR.jpg

rnPGH0y.jpg

Fayris has Aimed shot and Arrow tempest, in the future we’ll want her to get the Marskman skills.

yWmthl1.jpg

scX9kb1.jpg

KggtHuC.jpg

When it comes to defensive skills, Fayris already has access to Dodge. This is something Angela will also want asap.

65UiEOe.jpg

As for Jaakon, he’s actually not complete shit in melee. He comes equipped with the interesting skill Knock Over.

Uk1h4Dz.jpg

lAz86J8.jpg

As a battlemage, it’s not inconceivable for him to get training in axes/maces or sabers.

7PeXPX7.jpg

Anyway, heading forward there will be thugs waiting… but Fayris has a cunning plan.

nHPV38j.jpg

VcEVx98.jpg

u3qMcVt.png
We can speculate about that later. Hm, they haven’t noticed us. Maybe they’re only supposed to be lookouts while the ship is being unloaded.

YPloVOT.png
I have an idea! What about if I set up a trap in the passageway, and then we lure them in there?

Fayris is trying to compensate for failing Gerlin but it is not a bad plan.

EozdLOG.png
That’s not a bad idea, Fayris. Let’s do it.

However more useful here is summoning the Fire Elemental.

FMvLpAy.jpg

cV9FVZY.jpg

The traps Fayris came with don’t inflict any damage however if an opponent is knocked down attacks will never miss.

Mu6i1u3.jpg

kBl6877.jpg

nRzOWEt.jpg

r1Xt5D9.jpg

After killing the first group of thugs, another group further on has a mage with them. Fayris will shout about Somnigravis but it’s easiest to just hit any mage hard with melee/ranged skills. Jaakon is just shit at casting Somnigravis right now.

WkKlNNN.jpg

9npNkk9.jpg

Some of the thugs drop lockpicks, which is an improvement over the hairpins Angela has been using until now.

tDh3S61.jpg

At Arcane Lore 8 Jaakon finally managed to identify Dilga’s ring; turns out it’s a Ring of Phex useful for Angela’s line of work.

ScUArRI.jpg

RQjucLC.jpg

WQPzZ2h.jpg

Guarding the main entrance to the harbour is a group of five thugs; this is the biggest battle encountered so far.

txlj2hg.jpg

pLQ3dJf.jpg

pJ4rlLR.jpg

The thugs encountered like dropping whetstones, a useful item that unfortunately is depleted quickly.

Nj6uWuh.jpg

The main entrance is locked so the group needs to go around; Fayris and Jaakon will actually interact quite a lot along the way but since this “banter” is only voiced in the German version of the game this is sometimes easy to miss.

4MqJNno.jpg

9WtA5HH.jpg

CVUThtW.jpg

Vjk1GxJ.jpg

dfeeFWG.jpg

Reaching the other entrance to the harbour an ominous AUTOSAVE triggers.

J1V6kuS.jpg

yKg8oE7.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Does anything run on Win10 at all?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom