Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky are on the case, so that guarantees it will be good. And Leonard wouldn't describe it as "the game of his dreams" if he didn't genuinely believe in the epicness of what he was working on. The massive budget only means it's going to be even more epic, and give the plebs a taste of the greatness they've been missing out on their entire young lives. Shit like Bugthesda's Failout Bore and Bileware's Misandry Effect: Androgyna are only tolerated like they are because for console kiddies, that's all they know.

But that is going to change once Project Indiana is revealed - maybe at this upcoming E3? Minds will be blown, and anuses will be thoroughly prepared, in anticipation of what will undoubtedly be the greatest RPG experience of all time.

Quillon

Arcane
More from the filings:

d6LLAhu.png

White Marches doesn't seem profitable compared to the base game and it took a year to develop both parts. I think they'd do only one expansion this time, which would be developed for 8-9 months at most instead of a year. Tho WMs certainly helped the IP growth & experience with the tech for Deadfire.

But that is going to change once Project Indiana is revealed - maybe at this upcoming E3?

Didn't they say no info till 2018?

Prime Junta

White Marches doesn't seem profitable compared to the base game and it took a year to develop both parts. I think they'd do only one expansion this time, which would be developed for 8-9 months at most instead of a year. Tho WMs certainly helped the IP growth & experience with the tech for Deadfire.

You're probably right; the Fearg has been bitching about it. Mistake to make a full-scale expansion, mistake to split it into two parts. If it had been a great financial success he wouldn't be complaining.

Doktor Best

Arcane
You either go full out in terms of production value or you don't.

Console market reacts extremely well to highly polished and visually stunning action rpgs, games like horizon or Witcher 3 sell millions and the word of mouth and hype machine practically builds itself into a frenzy by release date.

If obsidian half asses they will be eaten up, like mass effect Andromeda.

I really hope their AAA game is a smaller, very focused game, with killer aesthetics, because if it isn't, it will probably fail.

I somehow doubt that, they still have that underdog bonus and people understand that their budget is limited. As long as they dont do worse than Bethesda and Bioware in the gameplay and story department(which is really hard to achieve), they will get praise.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yes, because profit is the only thing that matters. How many of those who bought Andromeda will buy the next BioWare game? It will be harder and harder to gain profit when they dish out garbage games.

Acording to Josh, they'll continue to be successful as long as they beat EA's forecasts.

a ycs post said:
from what i've heard, everything at EA is driven by actual results vs. (financial) projections. by their metrics, DA2 is considered a great success because it was projected to do worse than it actually did.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Looks like President of Focus Home Interactive just found out that Feargus mentioned their loving developer in an interview from December:

It's this part:

Feargus: [...] I’d also like to point out Spider, another RPG developer, who is still learning the craft, but has made some interesting games with Mars: War Logs and Technomancer. I’m interested to see where they go in the next few years.

So he's actually proud of that comment, huh?

Doktor Best

Arcane
Why shouldnt he? Feargus is basically saying that they have potencial to climb out of the garbage bin. You'd have to be delusional to think that Spiders is already where they want to be.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
New wanted ads for Project Indiana:

http://www.obsidian.net/jobs/open-positions/art/967-character-artist-senior

Senior Character Artist
Obsidian Entertainment is looking for a talented and self-motivated Senior Character Artist to join our growing team of RPG developers.

The Senior Character Artist position requires a solid understanding of what is current "AAA-quality" art, consistent character design, art pipelines, and current game console criteria and their limitations on memory and performance. This person understands the value of the production schedule and how to fit project goals within it. This is a hands-on position, by which he or she will set an example through exceptional asset creation, an understanding of current character art technologies, tools pipelines and interdepartmental dependencies.

http://www.obsidian.net/jobs/open-positions/animation/968-animator-senior

Senior Animator
Obsidian Entertainment is looking for talented, self-motivated Animator to join us in creating content for a high profile role playing game.

The ideal candidate has experience animating and bringing to life both human and non-humanoid characters. A solid grasp of the principles of Animation is essential. The ideal candidate must be creative and have the ability to understand priorities, work well within a fast-paced production environment, and be able to work with designers, Artists, Programmers, and other developers to create high quality character animations.

Hellion

Arcane
Having read certain old threads at Obsidian's forum, every single time they announce they are hiring artists only one thing immediately comes to mind.

PYE6kTP.jpg

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
Their are officially a AAA studio now?

Temporarily, at least. Once Project Indiana is done they'll probably shed a lot of the staff the way a snake sheds its skin. It has happened before with F:NV, and more recently with Armored Warfare. Even if Project Indiana ends up being a smash hit the sad fact of the matter is most of the profits will go to the publisher. I dunno if Feargus just has a bad habit of signing shitty deals, or if that's just the only deals available and he has no other choice, but either way Obsidian has been screwed over pretty much consistently for most of their existence. The only time that has not been the case is with their recent games working with Paradox. Paradox seems to have treated them fairly, but those weren't exactly AAA titles like they need for their big break.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom