Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News New teaser website appears to be counting down towards Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition reveal

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Beamdog; Planescape: Torment

After the flop of Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear, many people were expecting Beamdog to shut down and go away forever. Instead, they regrouped. Dragonspear's writing team was quickly shown the door, and in June we learned that the studio was hiring a new team to work on a D&D RPG under the leadership of their recently hired Creative Director, former BioWare writer David Gaider. Clearly, like certain RPG protagonists, some companies aren't so easily killed. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

A post by Trent Oster on the Beamdog forums in August clarified the situation. Beamdog now had not one but three projects - one big, one medium-sized and one small. Some observers reasoned that if the big project was Gaider's, then one of the smaller ones was likely to be a new Enhanced Edition rerelease of an Infinity Engine game. That could be either Icewind Dale 2 or Planescape: Torment. One game, a sequel nobody had asked for released by a dying developer. The other, a game often considered the finest RPG ever made, GOG.com's all-time best-selling title, and the inspiration for a soon-to-be-released thematic successor that had been successfully crowdfunded to the tune of over $4M.

The choice was obvious, and personally I've been expecting this for a while. A teaser website, PlanEscape.com, appeared on the Internet today, with a four day countdown. Trent's tweets about it haven't exactly been subtle, and if you're not convinced yet, a look at the site's source code will reveal four hexadecimal numbers, which correspond to the ASCII codes for "PSTEE". Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition is a thing that's happening.

What could such an enhancement consist of? I can already see the jokes about the addition of a gender-related response to Ravel's famous question. But Beamdog have their own game to work on now, and I'll be surprised if PS:T's narrative content is modified in any way other than the possible re-addition of cut content from Qwinn's famous patch. Another possibility is that the reveal of the game might coincide with some sort of relaunch or rerelease of the Planescape setting by Wizards of the Coast, since the official Dungeons & Dragons Twitter account has tweeted about the site as well. Well, we'll know soon enough.

P.S. A poster on 4chan's /v/ board claiming to be a tester for PS:T EE has apparently leaked a couple of screenshots of the game. He also says Beamdog aren't planning to touch its writing. Of course, I can't vouch for the authenticity of any of that.

Sacibengala

Prophet
These leaked screenshots are the worse. The UI is no better than the modded one and everything is too small. the classic one is nothing like that. I hope that at least they kind of put some new thoughts at the underwhelming combat, especially the trash mob of the endgame.

Shin

Cipher
What can change the nature of somebody who identifies as a 45 year old black female but is actually an immortal, tormented man?

deuxhero

Arcane
I hope the D&D RPG and big project are a turn-based 5E cRPG with a Neverwinter Nights style editor. That's the only thing they could do I would give a damn about, and the fact that I wouldn't have to care about Beamdog's writing, only their engine work, is a large reason for that.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That's a shame. They should have capitalized on their relationship with Chris and get him to write a new quest or DLC for the game, perhaps one that restores one of the planned alternative endings they didn't have time to work into the original release.

At the very least, I expect the Cleric class to be available, or this is just a complete waste of time.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That's a shame. They should have capitalized on their relationship with Chris and get him to write a new quest or DLC for the game, perhaps one that restores one of the planned alternative endings they didn't have time to work into the original release.

At the very least, I expect the Cleric class to be available, or this is just a complete waste of time.
Let's make a Codex petition for Beamdog and MCA.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I wish Beam Dog the most cruel and absurd death, like they are eating Doritos and drinking Mountin Jew, and then truck full of manure crushed them all.

P.S. Did you saw that explanation of a "writer" about BG EE that white man doesn't interest her, so he always will be adding something about perverts?

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yet another pointless effort from a pointless studio that apparently can't do anything worthwhile of their own.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition
What can change the nature of a xer?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom