Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Brian Fargo plans to retire after Wasteland 3 is released

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
Comparing Wasteland with Fallout is insulting to Fallout; comparing Brian Fargo with Warren Spector is insulting to Warren Spector; comparing Interplay with inXile is insulting to Interplay.

21096.jpg
View attachment 7996 SAYS:Wasteland has full party creation and better combat
View attachment 7995

Wasteland's combat is much better than "Aim for the Eyes" combat system of Fallout.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Comparing Wasteland with Fallout is insulting to Fallout; comparing Brian Fargo with Warren Spector is insulting to Warren Spector; comparing Interplay with inXile is insulting to Interplay.

21096.jpg
View attachment 7996 SAYS:Wasteland has full party creation and better combat
View attachment 7995

Wasteland's combat is much better than "Aim for the Eyes" combat system of Fallout.
Yeah, well that's called combat options. You can choose eyes, groin or other body part to disable or kill faster your opponent. Instead of choosing an otimal distance and pressing fire.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I guess it was pretty obvious by 2001 that Interplay needed to be a whole different company to stay alive as a publisher, focusing mostly on consoles to get easier and quicker money than trying to get blood from stone on the PC but it was too late, they had no money anymore and couldn't do anything about it.

Remember that at that time, I can only bet but it makes sense, the logistic chain for PC games was breaking down, a brink and mortar store could have a PC box section or a console box section as the console market was exploding I bet most decided to stick to the less risky bet and gone with the console games section with the PC games being pushed out. There is a reason why there are dedicated console games stores nowdays and PC gamming depends on virtual stores like Steam.

That’s all true, but this just reinforces my point of view that gaming development in most cases (that is, that involves every studio that it is not triple-A or indie) is not a sustainable model. You need a constant flow of cash to pay huge payrolls, etc. It doesn’t work. Fargo incapable of controlling himself doesn’t help either. That fact that in 16 years of existence they published more than 100 titles, should tell you that he fundamentally lacks basic business sense, with shelf space or not.

Imperialist

Novice
Back when consoles were being shoved down our throats by Microsoft and the likes, they basically killed other good companies like Sierra. The Twitch-Crowd was born, interest shifted away from big budget PC games, even Fargo talks about console games today as if they need to be sated.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Sierra's changes had more to do with its sale to CUC International in 1996. (Yes, that is really the name.) Given that the company was sold for $1.5B to a multinational, which in turn wound up being a massive fraudster, it feels la little silly to blame Interplay and consoles.

Unwanted

Charles Eli Cheese

Neckbeard Shitlord
Edgy Shitposter
Well, I think he could have just given us what we want, turn based pc rpgs without a giant budget, and kept making them 100 years for a small but steady profit. That just seems to be impossible for a bidness man to do though, they have to go after the console retards and gay storyfags.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
For all who say that Fargo doesnt matter it goes to show you have never held a position of leadership in your life save for beign the "choosen one" or Greywarden in a fucking videogame
For all the supposed genious of Tim Cain and various other they did what they did because they worked under the infrastructure that Fargo created for them, he paid their salaries and allowed the development of their projects in his company... they could have been selling hot dogs on a stadium or jerking off in their mom's house if not for the chance and the oportunity Fargo and his company gave them
Who is the face of InXile?
Who pitches on Kickstarter?
Who convinces people both investors and fans to part with their money?
Who pays for all that good shit to get done?
It sickens me when one of my employees gives little jabs about "hey what does that guy do?" at me and I just say "I am the one who pays for everything pal and I since I have to figure how to continue paying I have you to do the work"
And 6 months after they quit claiming I never understood their genious and worth and they wil set up their own buisness they come crawling because they dont know how much managing it all costs

Unwanted

Charles Eli Cheese

Neckbeard Shitlord
Edgy Shitposter
It's true but if he don't make what we want who the fuck cares?

As soon as he started on a second team I thought oh, no. Turned out I was right, which is obvious. You can't go forward based on kickstarter reputation alone, you have to actually deliver stuff the people kickstarting you want or else your cred dries up and never comes back.

Like I say, he could have made small budget games ad nauseum if he wanted, but instead he hired a buch of shit for brain SJW cucks and hipsters who can't code to make a game no one wanted (in that form). I refer to torment obviously. Those huge games with too much budget and not enough meat are exactly what led to needing KS in the first place.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Well, I think he could have just given us what we want, turn based pc rpgs without a giant budget, and kept making them 100 years for a small but steady profit. That just seems to be impossible for a bidness man to do though, they have to go after the console retards and gay storyfags.

Exactly. Instead of trying to be the king of a small country, whose streets and valleys he knew by heart, he wanted to conquer the whole world; a world whose laws were changing and had different rules. I think that a studio should not just try to focus on a given audience, but it also should engage them as a specific community (competitions with game records, interviews, documentaries, printed manuals, etc.) and try to attract a new generation in the process.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
It's true but if he don't make what we want who the fuck cares?.

You need to understand that some players here see the world upside down. Instead of evaluating the game from the perspective of a player, they evaluate the game from a developer's perspective, and are always eager to provide a laundry list of excuses for their game's faults. In this mindset, the developer's needs come first, and we have the moral obligation to buy their games and support them, even if this means that players must dive in shit. It’s an inversion of values, because the whole profession only exists because there are players to buy their games in the first place.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer

Exactly. Instead of trying to be the king of a small country, whose streets and valleys he knew by heart, he wanted to conquer the whole world; a world whose laws were changing and had different rules. I think that a studio should not just try to focus on a given audience, but it also should engage them as a specific community (competitions with game records, interviews, documentaries, printed manuals, etc.) and try to attract a new generation in the process.
Gotta say, this argument is super unpersuasive to me as applied to Brian. Guy made a fortune, had fascinating adventures pursuing various novel game ideas, had a role (in various capacities) with a host of legendary games, helped make crowdfunding a thing, and retires at 55 to live a life of luxury. "He should've just kept making blobbers" seems pretty ridiculous to me in that context.

Now, that argument might be persuasive as applied to like the Coles and Hero-U or something.

EDIT

Like, going down the list, where should he have stopped trying to expand his kingdom?

Battle Chess?
Neuromancer?
Castles?
Star Trek: 25th Anniversary?
Sacrifice?

A lot of the random stuff Interplay didn't pan out, but all of those were pretty wacky themselves.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Charles Eli Cheese

Neckbeard Shitlord
Edgy Shitposter
You need to understand that some players here see the world upside down. Instead of evaluating the game from the perspective of a player, they evaluate the game from a developer's perspective, and are always eager to provide a laundry list of excuses for their game's faults. In this mindset, the developer's needs come first, and we have the moral obligation to buy their games and support them, even if this means that players must dive in shit. It’s an inversion of values, because the whole profession only exists because there are players to buy their games in the first place.

I think they think if they don't suck the dev's dicks they are afraid nothing will get made. But having something people don't want made is worse than having nothing made at all, it is a waste of everyone's time and drives companies out of business.

I mean at least Fargo started in right direction and WL 2 is OK. But from there he quickly went off into bad areas, and those kind of idiots only made things worse.

Sucking the dev's dicks does no good, and it can do a world of harm. The is no point of fans saying anything at all if that is all they do. May as well be ign or whatever.

Unwanted

Charles Eli Cheese

Neckbeard Shitlord
Edgy Shitposter
Gotta say, this argument is super unpersuasive to me as applied to Brian. Guy made a fortune, had fascinating adventures pursuing various novel game ideas, had a role (in various capacities) with a host of legendary games, helped make crowdfunding a thing, and retires at 55 to live a life of luxury. "He should've just kept making blobbers" seems pretty ridiculous to me in that context.

Now, that argument might be persuasive as applied to like the Coles and Hero-U or something.

EDIT

Like, going down the list, where should he have stopped trying to expand his kingdom?

Battle Chess?
Neuromancer?
Castles?
Star Trek: 25th Anniversary?
Sacrifice?

A lot of the random stuff Interplay didn't pan out, but all of those were pretty wacky themselves.

He should have stopped at WL2 obviously.

None of those games are consolized faggotry.

No one asked for blobbers. They want more games like you mentioned not gay shit they can already get.

And you should have stopped before you began. DO NOT WANT. Go to some place where people give a fuck about casual shit retarded games.

And that is issue. He tried to compete with console shit, and he failed. There's tons of console shit and hipster bullshit already, with no need for kickstarter.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Just to be clear, you think the point at which Brian stopped sticking to what he understood is TTON?

(Also, is it just the same avatar, or were you also the guy who shilled for nuKing's Quest?)

Unwanted

Charles Eli Cheese

Neckbeard Shitlord
Edgy Shitposter
Just to be clear, you think the point at which Brian stopped sticking to what he understood is TTON?

(Also, is it just the same avatar, or were you also the guy who shilled for nuKing's Quest?)

No, the point he SOLD OUT was during the WL2 director's cut with consolized interface, and it just got worse from there.

When he stopped making games that the people who enjoyed his old games would like.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I think they think if they don't suck the dev's dicks they are afraid nothing will get made.

If you praise everything someone does, you only provide incentives so that he can keep repeating the same mistakes and ignoring you completely.

But having something people don't want made is worse than having nothing made at all, it is a waste of everyone's time and drives companies out of business.

The fact that you are polluting the genre with another bad game is bad enough, but the fact that is a respected veteran of the industry doing that is considerably worse, because you contributing to the debasement of the standards of the industry.

I mean at least Fargo started in right direction and WL 2 is OK. But from there he quickly went off into bad areas, and those kind of idiots only made things worse.

W2 had some cool ideas, but the design was inconsistent because the game was rushed and it was designed by manufacturing process. Misplaced art everywhere, trash mobs, awful encounter design, equal balance of idiotic skills, retarded main story, some awful writing, etc. It’s a very mixed bag, and if that was his favorite project, you can imagine the quality of the rest.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Charles Eli Cheese

Neckbeard Shitlord
Edgy Shitposter
It was a good first game, but they immediately shit the bed with torment. And I think the main issue with torment from a bidness perspective is indeed it turns out hiring a bunch of hipster faggots instead of simply some good coders, made for a disastrous development experience.

I was happy more or less with WL 2 if they went in same direction but more polished. But they basically just immediately went from old school developer to modern shit developer like obshitian that I have zero interest in, and which is also financially unviable.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Think how different gaming would be today if digital distribution had gotten big in the late 90's instead of the mid 00's. All the great PC developers that died or went full popamole because they were crowded out of retail by console games would have been able to sell directly to gamers, getting both wider distribution and a bigger share of the revenue.

Apexeon

Arcane
If ToN made a bucket of cash he would stay (ToN probably made a loss after all the bribes for 10 out 10 review scores).

There is nothing left on the interplay corpse for Brain to dig up and flog on Kickstarter.

Archibald

Arcane
After about 1990, his role/stature changed to the point where I wouldn't expect to see a heavy mark on things, but before that, there seems to be some theme of unusual settings -- Bard's Tale wasn't just generic fantasy, Wasteland, Neuromancer, even Tonetown... After that it just looks like the portfolio of a large 90s company.

Wasn't this more usual in early days? I haven't done any research obviously, but to me it feels like we reached fantasy singularity somewhere in the late 90s.

Delbaeth

Learned
So there's a war on Wasteland VS Fallout? Like the Fallout 1 & 2 VS Fallout 3 & 4?

Seriously?

What's next? The 'Akalabeth is crap compared to Skyrim' thing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom