Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Brian Fargo plans to retire after Wasteland 3 is released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The fact that there is an identifiable genre of "Spector game" and "Fargo game" means that they did exert some sort of influence, however elusive it might be.
What are the qualities of a "Fargo game"? That distinction seems like a big stretch.

I would say ultra-violence, cults of madmen, an overall macabre pulp sensibility. Lots of minute instances of reactivity with a focus on trying to generate memorable "water cooler moments". These are things that Brian often talks about. He has a definite preference for post-apocalyptic settings, Mark Morgan music, and puts SINGING in his games whenever he gets a chance.

I'm not saying he invented that approach whole cloth. Everybody's influenced by other people. For example, Warren Spector's design philosophy was clearly formed through his collaboration with people from Looking Glass Studios throughout the 1990s.

But I think Brian already had a preference for those things when Fallout was created. It's silly that people overlook just how similar the game was to Wasteland. TBH, there's kind of a contradiction between the idea of Fallout as Tim Cain's underground personal project that he and his friends made without anybody knowing, and how obviously it was an attempt to flatter the CEO's sensibilities.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
If anything, people like Fargo shows how ignorant most gamers are, how easy you can take credit for other people’s work in the game industry.
This is just plain stupid, Fargo certainly had some important influence on Neuromancer, Wasteland or the Bard's tale series.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
(...) The only thing he actually did was approving the game, which was his obligation. His omissive behavior in ignoring Cain’s complaints about FO2 direction, and his megalomaniac projects that lead Interplay to the ground were an omen of what was to come. If anything, people like Fargo shows how ignorant most gamers are, how easy you can take credit for other people’s work in the game industry.
He is a sleazy guy but he's also rather passionate about games and I seriously doubt we would get such gems like Sacrifice, Giants: Citizen Kabuto, Messiah, MDK, Freespace, Shogo and other unique games that seemed very risky to develop if someone else was steering Interplay ship. Instead of going the easy way and making games for largest audience possible he allowed experiments which in the end destroyed his firm. But he gets a huge brofist from me for the games I've mentioned. Now add Fallout and Planescape: Torment into this and you have a guy who made a real difference in the gaming world.

But I think Brian Fargo already had a preference for those things when Fallout was created. It's silly that people overlook just how similar the game was to Wasteland.
I agree, I doubt that Fallout would look like it looked like if not for Wasteland.

Last edited by a moderator:

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
TBH, there's kind of a contradiction between the idea of Fallout as Tim Cain's underground personal project that he and his friends made without anybody knowing, and how obviously it was an attempt to flatter Fargo's sensibilities.

Didn't Tim Cain want it to be set in the Jurassic period initially? Post-apoc was someone else's idea iirc.

EDIT: Fallout Could've Been About Time-Traveling, Dinosaurs, and Monkey Murder

"You started in the modern world," Cain said. "You traveled back in time, you killed the monkey that would evolve into humans, you went through space travel, you went to the future, which was ruled by dinosaurs, you were exiled to a fantasy planet where magic took you back to the original timeline that you restored to full, and came back to the modern world to save your girlfriend."

Okay, so. As much as I love the idea of a fantasy planet that magically returns things to how they were, allowing you to save your girlfriend, I think my favorite part about this is that you "killed the monkey that evolved into humans." What?

"It's weird to hear me talk about it now," Cain said, "but we really were going to go with this. And I think one of the other producers kinda slapped me and said, 'There's no way you're going to get this storyline made, it's not going to get through, you could work on it for years and no one would ever do it.'

Regardless, what led to it being a GURPS emulation was definitely of Cain's making.

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
People tend to blindly idolize rockstar developers and vilify producers and publishers, when the reality is that in many cases those people are responsible for the end result being as good as it is.

Hell, if X-Com was left to Gollop brothers, it would've been shit and would've never been made. MicroProse producers not only went against a cancellation order, but also are the reason that the game is something more than Laser Squad 2. It was the publisher that demanded that they expand the scope and scale, which led to the addition of battlescape.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
He is a sleazy guy but he's also rather passionate about games and I seriously doubt we would get such gems like Sacrifice, Giants: Citizen Kabuto, Messiah, MDK, Freespace, Shogo and other unique games that seemed very risky to develop if someone else was steering Interplay ship. Instead of going the easy way and making games for largest audience possible he allowed experiments which in the end destroyed his firm. But he gets a huge brofist from me for the games I've mentioned. Now add Fallout and Planescape: Torment into this and you have a guy who made a real difference in the gaming world.

Who made a real difference in the gaming world were the developers, artists, programmers, etc., involved in these games, mostly people who you will never know, or don’t care to know, because you are too eager to give the credit to the car salesman that ruined the company. Fargo gave the green light to these games, because he green lighted everything, including cinematic games that led Interplay to the ground. The suggestion that the studio failed because it wasn’t able to move to consoles is just a euphemism for “We had a loom in charge”. Now he is doing the same thing at InXile and the result is less than stellar because he doesn’t has the talent, which just reinforces the notion that Interplay was great despite of him.

I agree, I doubt that Fallout would look like it looked like if not for Wasteland.

What made Fallout special was the use of skill/stat checks and the writing. The fact that people only talk about Wasteland because it is vaguely associated with Fallout is telling. Wasteland can die in a fire.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
The fact that people only talk about Wasteland because it is vaguely associated with Fallout is telling. Wasteland can die in a fire.
lol
I also prefer Fallout than Wasteland but Wasteland is exquisite and was ahead of its time. And Brian Fargo wasn't just a producer there:
Ken St. Andre said:
Brian Fargo jumped into the design process about midway thru. He wanted to set his stamp on somethings. The City of Needles is pure Brian Fargo work. To the best of my knowledge, that's all he did, but Needles is no small segment of the game, and it has some of the best puzzles in it. BF deserves his design credits. In addition, he was head honcho for the whole project--he sold the idea to Electronic Arts, paid the production team, reviewed work as it was done, cracked the whip to get more work done. kept me, and Stackpole, and Alan all hard at work. Fargo's an incredible guy with an amazing imagination, and he'll always have my respect.

And this is what Per has to say about Wasteland (and if you don't know who Per is then you should self-eject from the Codex):
Per said:
Need I introduce the game that everyone plays CONSTANTLY? Wasteland shows how darn right things go when PnP RPG design meets flawless computer game design. No 3D graphics. No little animated gibberlings that squeal as they slash at you. Just a low-res portrait of one of your foes, and the assurance that your 36 points of damage just made it explode in a shower of wheels and sprockets, or ground round as the case might be. "A silvery mountain of reptilian terror cocks its head, studies you for a moment, then attacks!" Those words put a more perfect image in my mind than any first-person polygon view. The design and interface were leagues ahead of anything that existed at the time, including that fantasy cousin The Bard's Tale. Oh, and the pervasive dark humour, the unforgettable scenario and sidetracks - but don't let me keep you, go back to playing Wasteland right

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I imagine that Wasteland comes across as unplayable and ridiculous if you played Fallout first, and groundbreaking and amazing (though not unflawed) if you played Wasteland first.

AMG

Arbiter
I would say ultra-violence, cults of madmen, an overall macabre pulp sensibility. Lots of minute instances of reactivity with a focus on trying to generate memorable "water cooler moments". These are things that Brian often talks about. He has a definite preference for post-apocalyptic settings, Mark Morgan music, and puts SINGING in his games whenever he gets a chance.

I'm not saying he invented that approach whole cloth. Everybody's influenced by other people. For example, Warren Spector's design philosophy was clearly formed through his collaboration with people from Looking Glass Studios throughout the 1990s.

But I think Brian already had a preference for those things when Fallout was created. It's silly that people overlook just how similar the game was to Wasteland. TBH, there's kind of a contradiction between the idea of Fallout as Tim Cain's underground personal project that he and his friends made without anybody knowing, and how obviously it was an attempt to flatter the CEO's sensibilities.

You're not wrong to link Wasteland and Fallout, but those are just two games. "Spector game" makes sense, since he was involved in a lot of games that took a smiliar approach to design in different directions. Whether he should be attributed with it is another matter, but the distinction makes sense.
But "Fargo game"? Sure Fallout was infulenced by Wasteland, but that's it. A thematic link between two games doesn't form a distinct design blueprint. And Fallout is more like a homage to Wasteland rather than a successor, the games are rather different.
Fargo was a producer on a lot of things, and from looking through the list on Wikipedia there is really no rhyme or reason to it.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Fargo was a producer on a lot of things, and from looking through the list on Wikipedia there is really no rhyme or reason to it.
After about 1990, his role/stature changed to the point where I wouldn't expect to see a heavy mark on things, but before that, there seems to be some theme of unusual settings -- Bard's Tale wasn't just generic fantasy, Wasteland, Neuromancer, even Tonetown... After that it just looks like the portfolio of a large 90s company.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Comparing Wasteland with Fallout is insulting to Fallout; comparing Brian Fargo with Warren Spector is insulting to Warren Spector; comparing Interplay with inXile is insulting to Interplay.

EDIT: I triggered Crooked Unicorn with this post. Achievement unlocked!

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I imagine that Wasteland comes across as unplayable and ridiculous if you played Fallout first, and groundbreaking and amazing (though not unflawed) if you played Wasteland first.
Bullshit. Wasteland is still pretty fun today, no matter you've played Fallout or not, and in no way unplayable nor ridiculous.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I was just trying to be nice to Lurker King. :(

That said, I still submit that aspects of WL don't hold up very well -- I've only played it for a little bit since the 80s, but there's all the silliness like attacking enemies with clips rather than weapons, or programming macros to rest, and it definitely lacks the narrative weight and accessibility of Fallout.

EDIT: To expand on this slightly, I guess what I'd say is that I'm skeptical that the game is very fun today unless you are able to engage in some kind of creative feat of imagination that you're playing it back in the 80s. Maybe I'm wrong, but to me there was a point in the mid-90s when games became consistently timeless, where as games older than that are pretty hit and miss. I would not call Wasteland timeless, though I would call it an amazing feat for its time.

Last edited:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Comparing Wasteland with Fallout is insulting to Fallout; comparing Brian Fargo with Warren Spector is insulting to Warren Spector; comparing Interplay with inXile is insulting to Interplay.

21096.jpg
upload_2017-3-24_20-45-41.png
SAYS:Wasteland has full party creation and better combat
upload_2017-3-24_20-43-25.png

DeepOcean

Arcane
The only thing he actually did was approving the game, which was his obligation.
Nope, the money guys have zero obligation or we would have incline games instead of CoD all years and with different names.
Okay, let's go full autist here:
List of Interplay games by release year:
Bard's Tale 1985
The Bard's Tale II: The Destiny Knight 1986
Battle Chess 1988
Wasteland 1988
Neuromancer 1988
Dragon Wars 1989
The Adventures of Rad Gravity 1990
J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, Vol. I 1990
Battle Chess II: Chinese Chess 1991
Battle Chess 4000 1991
Another World 1991
RPM Racing 1991
Castles 1991
Castles II: Siege and Conquest 1991
The Lost Vikings 1992
Alone in the Dark 1992
J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, Vol. II: The Two Towers 1992
Star Trek: 25th Anniversary 1992
Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space 1993
Dungeon Master II 1993
Clayfighter 1993
Rock 'N Roll Racing 1993
SimCity Enhanced 1993
Star Trek: Judgment Rites 1993
Blackthorne 1994
Earthworm Jim 1994
Earthworm Jim 2 1995
Loaded 1995
Boogerman 1995
Clayfighter 2 1995
Blood & Magic 1996
Normality Inc. 1996
Cyberia 1994
Descent 1994
J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, Vol. I 1994
Super Castles 1994
Star Reach 1994
Stonekeep 1995
Descent II 1996
Reloaded 1996
Casper 1996
Conquest of the New World 1996
Fragile Allegiance 1996
M.A.X.: Mechanized Assault & Exploration 1996
Mummy: Tomb of the Pharaoh 1996
Realms of the Haunting 1996
Shattered Steel 1996
Atomic Bomberman 1997
Carmageddon 1997
Dragon Dice 1997
Fallout 1997
The Forgotten Realms Archives 1997
The Lost Vikings 2 1997
Redneck Rampage 1997
Sand Warriors 1997
Fallout 2 1998
Hardwar 1998
Battlecruiser 3000AD v2.0 1998
Carmageddon II 1998
Baldur's Gate 1998
Heart of Darkness 1998
Die by the Sword 1998
M.A.X.: Mechanized Assault & Exploration 2 1998
FreeSpace 2 1999
MDK 1997
Waterworld 1997
Star Trek: Starfleet Academy 1997
Descent: FreeSpace – The Great War 1998
Of Light and Darkness: The Prophecy 1998
Rock & Roll Racing 2:Red Asphalt 1998
Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast 1999
Descent 3 1999
Earthworm Jim: Menace 2 the Galaxy 1999
Earthworm Jim 3D 1999
Kingpin: Life of Crime 1999
Y2K: The Game 1999
Planescape: Torment 1999
Star Trek: Starfleet Command 1999
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn 2000
Star Trek: Klingon Academy 2000
Giants: Citizen Kabuto 2000
Icewind Dale 2000
Sacrifice 2000
MDK2 2000
Messiah 2000
Soulbringer 2000
Star Trek: New Worlds 2000
Star Trek: Starfleet Command II: Empires At War 2000
Star Trek: Starfleet Command II: Orion Pirates 2001
Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal 2001
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2001
Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel 2001
Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising 2001
Icewind Dale II 2002
Run Like Hell (RLH) 2002
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II 2004
Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader 2003
Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel 2004

There were some crazy bets like HardWar, some strange games like light and darkness, some LoL like BattleCruiser but alot of incline on this list. If Fargo was a megalomaniacal asshole, at least he allowed some good games to be made. The decline only started for reals by 2001.
Article from CNN Money from 1998:
http://money.cnn.com/1998/03/31/technology/rho_interplay/
Although Interplay had revenues of $83.3 million, its losses amounted to $27.2 million for fiscal 1997. And of the $71.8 million to be raised, the company expects to use $27.5 million to repay amounts outstanding under a current bank line of credit. On top of that, it also expects to repay $6.1 million in subordinated secured promissory notes, and $1 million as an accrued bonus awarded to Brian Fargo, Interplay's chief executive officer, by the board of directors in 1994. Interplay also said it expects to use about $1.5 million to pay certain amounts due to Universal Interactive Studios under the terms of an existing distribution agreement.
While we're all for companies paying down their debts, it's apparent that Interplay is gearing up to do so with other people's money -- although one unnamed analyst says the company is hoping for a market capitalization at about 2-2.5 times revenues. If the market bites, then shareholders will have a healthy stake.
Survivors win

But the gaming industry is about fun, not numbers, right? Not exactly. In a sector where the quality of a single title can make or break a company, you're only as good as your last game -- and everyone is at the mercy of retailers. Merely surviving might be deemed success.
In that sense, Interplay is a winner. Mr. Fargo is himself a longtime gamer, and his company dates back to the early 1980s. Compared to startups that count themselves lucky to get a single game distributed, Interplay has a solid history. "Interplay has a good sense of what's appealing, of what will work and what won't," says PC Gamer's Mr. Vaughn. "They've been around a while and know the industry and aren't afraid to experiment." Recent experiments include Descent, a big hit back in 1996. Other titles include Fallout, Stonekeep, and Battle Chess. According to Mr. Lerner of Multitude, although Interplay didn't have much in terms of hits in 1997, "they're expecting a great year out of 1998."
And the gaming industry is a shelf-space business. "The more shelf space you have the more value you have," says Mr. Lerner. And while Interplay is the fifth largest in the business, to some, fifth may not be good enough for Wall Street. "The investment bankers see (the interactive gaming industry) as a giant battle for shelf space where the three finalists have already been chosen," explains Mr. Lerner. That said, he sees Interplay as less speculative than most because "they have real revenues, and depending on which quarter you look at, some strong earnings."
ut when we asked how many other gaming companies have gone public recently, Mr. Lerner responded, half in jest, "Listings? There have only been delistings for gaming companies."
What a living

Mr. Vaughn and Mr. Lerner agree that Interplay should be around for a while. Despite the competition and steady and relentless consolidation, the industry is still growing at an average of 20-30 percent, according to 1996-97 PC Data statistics. And Interplay had the foresight to set up its own distribution subsidiary, which insulates it from the uneven revenues that plague lesser gaming companies. As such, the market may view this IPO as slightly less risky in an industry where doom lurks around every Christmas retail season.

So, by the time Interplay was to launch some of their most known and codexian loved games, they had some problems but most people seen them as estable and being able to easily capitalize themselves. Their biggest problems were the lack of hits on 1997 that let them on the red. So, at that time Interplay was seen as less risky than other gaming companies.

However:
http://articles.latimes.com/1998/jun/18/business/fi-61024

Computer-game maker Interplay Entertainment Corp. is sharply scaling back the size of its initial public stock offering.

The Irvine-based company, which said in March that it hoped to raise about $72 million in a public stock sale, said it now plans to raise $27 million, according to documents filed Tuesday with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

The company said it expects to sell 5 million shares of common stock, down from an original 6.25 million. The stock is expected to be priced at about $6 per share, according to the filing.

Market watchers had expected Interplay to launch the public offering nearly two weeks ago. The delay, as well as Tuesday's adjusted figures, reflect both the difficult nature of the IPO market and the ongoing difficulties other game makers have encountered on Wall Street.

"It's a really horrible time to be a game company that wants to go public," said Tom Taulli, stock analyst with IPO Monitor. "The gaming industry lately has been under a lot of pressure from investors. And the IPO market is not very forgiving unless you're in a very specific--and hot--Internet market."

Video-game stocks have been a mixed bag throughout 1998. Industry powerhouse Electronic Arts Inc. has performed well, with its stock price rising 40% over the last 12 months thanks to surging profits and a stream of best-selling titles. But Broderbund Software Inc., which is responsible for two of the four best-selling games for PCs last year, has watched its stock plunge as much as 32% this year.

"This is a hit-driven industry," said Derek Brown, a multimedia analyst with Volpe Brown Whelan & Co. in San Francisco. "When you couple that with the rising development costs and the constant fight for retail shelf space, you're starting to see a split market with a very small group of people at the top."

Interplay officials, who have not said when the company will launch its IPO, declined to comment Wednesday.

According to the most recent filing, proceeds from the offering will be used to repay $25.4 million in debts and $1.5 million to distributor Universal Interactive Studios.

Universal is the company's biggest shareholder at 49.4%. Interplay founder Brian Fargo, 35, owns 44.9% of the stock, according to the filing.

So, they reduced the IPO from 71 million to 25.4 million and the reason was complete lack of interest, at that time you needed to have hits to attract the attention from investors, no hits, no money, unless you were on some hot internet company that would go bankrupt when the dotcom bubble exploded. 1998 to 2000 was the decisive time, Interplay needed hits but the only hit it achieved , at least on RPGs, was with Baldur's Gate 1 but DnD belonged to the Wizards of the Coast and alot of this money would go to pay for the licence. Alot of other Interplay titles from that era would become known as cult titles but I bet most didn't sell all that well.

So, while Fallout 1 and 2 and Planescape Torment were very good games, they weren't commercial hits. Without hits, Interplay had no way to get loans from investors, remember, you don't only need a game to go well and pay its production but go well enough to pay for the future games budget. There is a reason why publishers expect a game to sell at least the double it costed to make, actually more than the double to pay for the infraestructure overhead.

By 2000, the situation got much worse than 1997, as a barrage of Interplay titles underperformed, remember, Interplay was a publisher and had a HUGE overhead infrastructure to distribute all those games on boxes around the world and all of this needed to be fed by HITS, not small hits but big ones. For each Fallout there must be at least a Baldur's Gate but I bet that wasn't reality.

Ironically, guess which other game by 2001 was a big hit? Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance that sold more than 1 million copies. It was hits like this Interplay needed but again, it was a licenced title, guess where alot of the money gone?

I guess it was pretty obvious by 2001 that Interplay needed to be a whole different company to stay alive as a publisher, focusing mostly on consoles to get easier and quicker money than trying to get blood from stone on the PC but it was too late, they had no money anymore and couldn't do anything about it.

Remember that at that time, I can only bet but it makes sense, the logistic chain for PC games was breaking down, a brink and mortar store could have a PC box section or a console box section as the console market was exploding I bet most decided to stick to the less risky bet and gone with the console games section with the PC games being pushed out. There is a reason why there are dedicated console games stores nowdays and PC gamming depends on virtual stores like Steam.

I don't like all InXile games, they are shovelware and I have fun shitting on Fargo but I think it is unfair to put all the blame on the dude when Microprose, Borderbund, Infogrames and other publishers at that time all kicked the bucket too. I bet if the situation was like it is today, with digital distribution and internet available everywhere, the whole story for PC gaming would be different and this drives me crazy because there is room for publishers making incline games but no one is willing to do the risky bet, especially not Fargo, the nostalgia peddler, and the guy that was on the best position to do it but that is to expect too much from an almost 60 year old guy.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom