Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Describe your dream RPG by combining the setting of one game with the gameplay of another

CONTENT / WORLD - Caves of Qud
ENGINE - Shadowrun

This would obviously be transformed from a roguelike, into more of an open-world /non-linear sci-fi cRPG, possibly ? The questing content could be augmented, and the current CoQ lore, which is already quite rich, could also be added to and turn this into a superb cRPG title. I think it would mesh well with SR's skill and Karma system, as well. Oh well - dare to dream !

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Setting doesn't do much. Gameplay is a sum of individual systems and mechanics. In order to make my dream crpg I would have to mix and match systems and mechanics from various games - setting is mostly irrelevant unless there are specific systems tied to it such as implants in a sci-fi setting, magic in a fantasy setting, etc.

I would have to mix and match different systems and mechanics to make a dream crpg versus P&P rpg. Also, all the settings I can think of that I would like a game made from would require specific systems so you couldn't just switch gameplay into it.

skyst

Augur
Setting: Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

Gameplay: Fallout: New Vegas

A first person Arcanum RPG would be fucking amazing. I want to explore that world in first person. Dialogue and quest design should be the primary focus, which Arcanum already did well. Toss the damn quest markers. Borrow some aspects of the crafting and exploration from newer Fallout games.
Unleash a mixture of steel, magic and technology in battles. Suffering magical or technological failures from them disrupting each other in real-time FPS combat could be interesting. Stats and skills need to matter both in combat and out. It would be interesting to see your character build affect the FPS combat in ways other than damage done or mysteriously "missing" (Morrowind.), perhaps aiming hindrances/assistance, recoil adjustment, rate of fire, etc. There is a lot of opportunity left on the table for merging the RPG with FPS combat to put the player into the shoes of the character better than what we have now, much more than simply doing more damage with a better build.

I would gladly take a proper Arcanum game/remake with competent turn based combat any day, but it is a world that could be really compelling to explore in first person.

For example, there you are, enjoying your zeppelin flight in whatever part of the ship your background supports when you hear the racket of crude engines. Maybe you see them clearly from the deck with the well-dressed elite or maybe you just catch a glimpse of them through a mildewy porthole in the cargo hold, but either way, the fighters make short work of your blimp. The ship crashes all around you, but somehow you survive. Twisted metal, splintered wood and ravaged bodies are strewn across the dark landscape, pockets of burning rubble illuminate miles of wilderness in every direction. You quickly gather your senses and pick about your surroundings. Maybe you snuck a shoddy pistol aboard, or maybe you scavenge a steak knife from the crash. Or perhaps you feel confident in your ability to magically inflict harm, should the need arise. But before long, you spot the shimmering eyes of carnivorous wildlife, pressing in on the calamity...

Artyoan

Arbiter
Dragon's Dogma gameplay with a Might and Magic 6/7 style character party customization/progression in a Dark Souls style atmospheric game

deuxhero

Arcane
Setting: Arcanum but with Meiji era Japan as the base instead of industrial revolution
Gameplay: Jagged Alliance 2 with some game's crazy magic options.

Gameplay: A much better implementation of Jagged Alliance: Back in Action's RTwP(cos I don't know any other game which have RTwP combat with modern guns)

7.62 Hard Life

Doktor Best

Arcane
Arcanum with Underrail exploration+combat

Fallout with silent Storm combat. Or fallout with E5 combat.
Pretty much any RPG with guns must have either SS combat or combat from E5.
Or Inquisitor from Warhammer 40k with actual detective work.

What the fuck is E5? Those god damn obscure abbreviations are infuriating.

laclongquan

Arcane
Writing: either PST level (fantasy), or Bloodlines (urban fantasy) or Fallout New Vegas (SF). Morrowind-class is right the fuck OUT~

Art Asset and non-writing content: Morrowind

Game Engine: Something modern

I am in the mood for some beautiful Morrowind experience. minus the old text, mind. Fucking sophomoric.

Deleted Member 16721

Morrowind exploration and setting, yet with more dangerous areas and enemies spread out like Gothic/Gothic 2. Ruleset would be NWN mixed with Morrowind, heavily dice-based. Combat would NWN but in first-person, possibly with a 4 person party but you only control your character.

A RTwP Morrowind. That's probably the game I would make if I were to design an RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom