Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 3 - Reaper of Idiots

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I could stomach the looks as well if the game below wouldn't be so... meh.
Being able to do everything at any point (once unlocked, which happens automatically), instead of having some kind of plan and actual character building, completely sucked the fun out of the game for me.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
:bounce: patch is out. i thought it would come simultaneously with the new season. No more bonus horadric cache bullshit so no more having to either do all 5 acts at once and the armory should be useful, even if cheapass blizzard won't let us actually store shit in there.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Is this an mmo? How many players can play together at once?

Honestly, I don't have a problem with the artstyle. It's just the terrible rpg system the game has.

That and the ridiculous number inflation.
Yeah, I could stomach the looks as well if the game below wouldn't be so... meh.
Being able to do everything at any point (once unlocked, which happens automatically), instead of having some kind of plan and actual character building, completely sucked the fun out of the game for me.

I agree on the not-very-rpg system requiring no planning or thinking. I really thought Leonard Bgiguiuygylski would have made them make it a decent system. Or at least an interesting one.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Is this an mmo? How many players can play together at once?

No, but halfwits seem to equate shared chat room as MMO, which is why this section is flooded by normal MP games. Player cap is 4 in game.

Norfleet

Given the other directions that Blizzard has taken with Diablo 3 (read: World of Diablocraft), I actually think the elimination of the concept of a "character build" is a good thing.

Consider: There are two possible outcomes if character building remains a thing: Either you optimize your character build for what you're doing, and thus, perform at full effectiveness, or you fuck up your build and your character is trashed (alternatively, you optimize your character build for what you're doing, and then BLIZZARD fucks up your character build by nerfing it, and your character is trashed). At that point you either A: Buy a respec, or B: junk your character. These are not exactly appealing options. At no point did you ever have a choice. You were either right, or you were fucked up. And sometimes you get the joy of being TOO right, so THEY fuck you up.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Consider: There are two possible outcomes if character building remains a thing: Either you optimize your character build for what you're doing, and thus, perform at full effectiveness, or you fuck up your build and your character is trashed
What about just building and planning for a character that you think will be fun to play? Sorry, I'm one of those people looking for fun in their games.
D2 offered many options to play all the characters. Sure, some would be more effective, but they were all at least good enough to get you through the game. And you would still be required to put at least some thought and planning into it and not just distribute points randomly.
That's all that I'm asking for.

D3 completely removed any need of thinking about anything. Just click on the enemy. No need to really look at health for potion swallowing even. I played through it shortly after it came out, and it felt like playing on autopilot. I still don't understand how I could manage to play through it even once.

Maybe in late game, you get to think about optimal loot, but I never reach late game in hack & slash games anyway, they always get boring after 20-30 hours.

abija

Prophet
Those people that play for 20ish hours and are looking for fun in their games are the whole reason for these changes. They get to experiment with probably 100-200h of equivalent D2 "builds".
But I guess you're one of those other people who delude themselves they are looking for depth (planning and character building) in a genre they never invested in.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
But I guess you're one of those other people who delude themselves they are looking for depth (planning and character building) in a genre they never invested in.
So because I do not invest hundreds of hours into games where the gameplay does not change one inch all the way through and all you'd be doing later on is basically playing excel dressed as a game* - I am lying to myself that I had no fun with D3 because of its nonexistent depth, while I had fun with D2 because it required some minimal thought and choices.

Maybe I should just play D3 again without pretending its complete lack of choices makes it boring as hell. I'm sure it would be lots of fun. :lol:
It's strange, though. I keep coming back to Path Of Exile for 10-20 hours a few times per year. And have fun :hahano: As if it did something better than D3...

Do you - at least occasionally - think before you post?

* Don't get me wrong. I realize some people have fun with that special form of autism. I just don't.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
So because I do not invest hundreds of hours into games where the gameplay does not change one inch all the way through and all you'd be doing later on is basically playing excel dressed as a game
Maybe I should just play D3 again without pretending its complete lack of choices makes it boring as hell.

D3 has plenty of choices, but you probably meant they're not as meaningful. For choices to be meaningful they need to have a cost. 'Paying' that cost is what you don't like about the genre.
You do not like repetitive gameplay, you do not enjoy being locked in a build. Yet when Blizzard made a game just for you (new abilities to experiment with every 20 mins or so) you complain it lacks the depth of D2 (PoE), depth you barely even scratched since you didn't actually play enough for your choices to matter.

Do you not see what's wrong with this?

Last edited:

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
From where I stand your alternative facts do not match with mine.

BERPDZN.png

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
D3 has plenty of choices, but you probably meant they're not as meaningful. For choices to be meaningful they need to have a cost.
That is true. D3 indeed has many choices, but as you said, they are meaningless. If you can at any point change any choice you made, it becomes worthless. I never even use respec in games that have it.

'Paying' that cost is what you don't like about the genre.
Thank you, Sigmund?

You do not like repetitive gameplay,
After a while, I don't, yeah. But until that point is reached, I can have loads of fun with it.

you do not enjoy being locked in a build.
:lol:
I embrace the builds I decided to lock myself into, enjoying to play them as I planned. Well, sometimes I restart if it is utter shit, but that probably hasn't happened in years.
To be fair, I could try to pretend to lock myself into a build in D3, too. But even if I'd manage to fool myself into it, only one of its many problems would have been solved.

since you didn't actually play enough for your choices to matter.
Right. Because playing a Trapsin is not completely different from playing an Assassin focused on claw mastery from the get-go all the way until the end.
The choices you talk about are minor late-game choices. Equipment optimization, (in the case of PoE) flask optimization, etc.
All the little things that in the end do not alter anything major about your character, just tweaking some values here and there, to end up being maybe 5% more efficient than before. After investing hours. Meh.

Seriously, a character having unlocked all important abilities at (I'm guessing the exact number here, memory's a bit foggy) around level 30-35 does not yield significant differences in gameplay from a level 90 character.*
Of course, it will deal more damage, be faster, etc. But those are little differences compared to the changes you see the first 40 levels.
Runes later on can spice things up a little more, but not enough to keep my interest.
And it's not that I haven't seen any late game characters. There are videos, you know? I watch them sometimes to decide on a build.
It's always exactly the same character that I have when I stop playing, just more efficient.

And as I said before, that kind of Excel gameplay is just not something I enjoy.

Do you not see what's wrong with this?
I do. It is you thinking you know anything about another person. Or games.

*This might actually be something PoE does better than D2, since you can alter how skills behave rather significantly with the support gems. But the repetitive gameplay does get to me before I reach that state.
Maybe I will eventually, though, if I do not restart a character once playing again and stick to the one I played last time...

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
Right. Because playing a Trapsin is not completely different from playing an Assassin focused on claw mastery from the get-go all the way until the end.
The choices you talk about are minor late-game choices. Equipment optimization, (in the case of PoE) flask optimization, etc.
All the little things that in the end do not alter anything major about your character, just tweaking some values here and there, to end up being maybe 5% more efficient than before. After investing hours. Meh.

Seriously, a character having unlocked all important abilities at (I'm guessing the exact number here, memory's a bit foggy) around level 30-35 does not yield significant differences in gameplay from a level 90 character.*
Of course, it will deal more damage, be faster, etc. But those are little differences compared to the changes you see the first 40 levels.
Runes later on can spice things up a little more, but not enough to keep my interest.
And it's not that I haven't seen any late game characters. There are videos, you know? I watch them sometimes to decide on a build.
It's always exactly the same character that I have when I stop playing, just more efficient.

You are so full of shit it's not even funny. Btw, the same logic was used when designing D3, they removed all the "little" things.
Also bonus points for copying builds while complaining about lack of depth. Guess they were right then, everyone reads on internets and dumps all stats into health anyway?

Last edited:

Varvarg

Educated
Seems like there arent that many players playing D3 anymore. For a while it was bigger than PoE, not those numbers have dwindled to nothingness. Mind you, I am only extrapolating from the twitch numbers. doubt many will return for le skellieguy. so many better alternatives now. and whole 6 new acts to PoE coming. holyhell

i did play it for a season or two. its mindless fun. but you get sick of it pretty fast.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
15 bucks is the best we could have hoped for. The most important part of a new expansion is the new class, and 10-15 bucks sounds about right. it's actually less of a ripoff than reaper of souls.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
I spent 3-4 hours running around with retards in Heroes of the Storm just to get those fucking kerrigan wings. why

:negative:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
necro is very entertaining (at least pre-70), running around with a huge army curb stomping motherfuckers. we'll see how sets screw that up (which i know they will).

Revenant

Also, the Rise of the Necromancer bundle is giftable, which means I can offer it to you with a Codexian discount. Contact me via PM if you don't feel like blowing €15 on it

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Why are all Blizzard games inane grinds? Do people legit find it fun to grind the same shit for weeks to upgrade from a Sword of Death Hellfire Fag Slayer +111000 to Burning Devil Rapier +111001? Or is it just like a sad drug addiction or something?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom