Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
If you're saying that the 'logical' way of playing involves blocking both ring slots and not having fast roll, then I guess we can agree that 'logical', the way you're using that term (not sure why though) doesn't equal 'fun' or 'smart' or 'interesting' and that's it.

Also, what you're describing seems to lead to a really risk-averse style of gameplay. To come back to my previous example, to maximize miracle damage I use Gwyndolin's crown and RotSF. I risk being hit more but the increased damage output is worth it... for me, that's a personal preference. That using a certain setup trivialises the game for those people who like their game to be boring doesn't mean there's a real problem there.

And I think the game should offer a build like that, just for those players who hold a personal grudge towards some bosses who killed them hundreds of times.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Maybe "logical" wasn't the ideal word for describing what I was trying to say. I should used the word "optimal" instead. Using those both rings is not a problem since they're clearly ones of the best rings in the game due what they brings to the player. And as I said, the game brings you the possibility of using full havel armor set + your weapons and still having mid-roll, which is fast enough for avoid enemies and bosses attacks easily. In terms of balance of stamina regeneration, defense, poise and fastness of the roll is the best on the game by far. Is very easy to achieve, and can be used in any build. Furthermore, if you don't want to use so heavy armors like havel or the stone one set you can use lighter ones instead like elite armor set and have fast-roll with a good stamina regeneration and poise (And you still can use herb shield). Why will you use a light armor instead? There's no reason to do it, excepting Fashion souls. Sure, you can play naked if you want it or you consider it more fun (AS yo can play with heavy armors on Dark swords 3 if you consider it interesting or fun...). But that will not change that in this game heavy armors are more useful than lighter ones since you can use them having the benefits of a lighter ones (The opposite is what happens on DS3), far from being and ideal or perfect system. And yes, is good that bosses have their weakness on builds too. But one thing is having bosses that iare weak against magic and stuff like that and other thing is having bosses who can't do shit against you because you can survive easily in front of them smashing the attack button and drinking estus when you need it. In every boss of the game. And with some like Ornestein&Smough, 4 kings or Nito turned ino completely jokes. And in PvP. The legend never dies.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like they fixed Ornestein helmet adding the original red feather

http://i.4cdn.org/vg/1490325922526.webm

http://i.4cdn.org/vg/1490326222014.webm

1VkGJrO

(The old version)

:neveraskedforthis:

Elwro

Arcane
Well, I think I understand your point, but you keep mentioning PvP where my experience is directly opposite (guys in heavy armor usually lose).

Also, some lighter armors (lighter than Elite Knight) have benefits like better fire resistance, magic boost etc, while giving you fast roll.

praetor

Arcane
i spoiled myself by looking at the weapons and... is this DS or Final Fantasy? these are probably the most anime weapons in the entire series

Arnust

Savant
Is it only me? I'm growing back for real to the game. These recent patches that are a + to everything, and the DLC looks better at every snippet that goes through my spoiler ascetism.
It may be just not being really bileful about it, and going back to my prescriptions (only some minor anxiety ones, don't worry).

The stakes are higher than ever. They know that.

sullynathan

Arcane
I'll get back to playing souls 3 in the summer. I'll most likely buy the season pass and bloodborne DLC.

Please don't tell me they nerfed Dragonslayer great axe

Last edited:
The weapon arts of the DLC weapons gave me weebchills, holy shit, what were they thinking?

that edgy as fuck katana with flurry of slashes for WA :yeah: my Vergil cosplay will be finally complete :cool:

its last content for DS games so i dont mind them going overboard with new weapons. better that than another sword with C/C scaling, bastards sword moveset and self-buff as a WA.

cruel

Cipher
It seems they've released the DLC a little bit early. First impressions: not very good, unfortunately.

Environment is quite dull, some reused enemies, quantity instead of quality for challenge, and not giving you the chance to play patiently, because of a certain mechanic forcing you to run and dodge like an idiot. Hope that bosses will be better than this.

Last edited:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I've gotten all achievements and finished NG++. Will do the DLC this weekend. Been really getting into the lore in this playthrough, though. Dark Souls has always reminded me vaguely of William Blake's later poetry, what with all the theodicy and the demiurgic figures warring over the souls of man (or maybe it's just that Blake's later poetry would make a really awesome souls style RPG). You could throw in some gnosticism by way of Jakob Boehme too (Dark Soul's primordial darkness and the spark of light that appears to contrast against it, setting the cycle of the universe in motion, has always reminded me of Boehme's alchemic conception of how God births himself, and the universe along with him, via nothingness violently turning in on itself until it produces a spark). Not that any of this is a source, but the Souls games have always worked very well at a sort of mythic style of storytelling where all the characters seem as much allegory or stand ins for philosophical or theological ideas as they are characters. It's rare that games do that at all, but even rarer that they do it without coming off cheesy or pretentious.

The End of Fire ending was great, though.
The Firekeeper asking if the ashen one can still hear her voice after everything goes dark is one of my favorite moments from this whole series. I didn't think that I was all that emotionally invested in this game, but that unexpectedly gutted me.
Perfect end to the series. Can't wait to start the DLC.

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
The End of Fire ending was great, though. The Firekeeper asking if the ashen one can still hear her voice after everything goes dark is one of my favorite moments from this whole series. I didn't think that I was all that emotionally invested in this game, but that unexpectedly gutted me. Perfect end to the series. Can't wait to start the DLC.

Yeah, of all the endings, it's my favorite. Another thing I enjoyed was the bgm change at the Shrine, when you make the deal. It's the little details that make all the difference.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
So glad I avoided spoilers on this shit for ages before it came out so when I finally got a chance to play I can't actually explore anything because I need to dodge fucking infinite sky lasers 24/7.

Elwro

Arcane
So glad I avoided spoilers on this shit for ages before it came out so when I finally got a chance to play I can't actually explore anything because I need to dodge fucking infinite sky lasers 24/7.
wat

I finished the game months ago and don't remember shit like this. Have they patched something in?

Wolfe

Arbiter

Yep, I gave up for now because of that, the beginning of the DLC is absolute trash and I can't be bothered with it at the moment.

praetor

Arcane
you guys will love the beginning of the area after the first boss, lol (btw i agree, those AH-64 "Angels" are idiotic. and the area design is pretty bad up until TRC "proper" when it gets decent)

it is kind of ironic that final boss is
another big knight with sword
:lol: its probably the most anime fight in Souls games but damn its fun. easily on artorias - sir alone - champion gundyr level.

opening level is kind of meh and i am not big fun of that type of environmental hazards but first boss fight is pretty good. ringed city is probably one of the best looking areas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom