Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Underworld Ascendant Update #34: Vertical Slice Screenshots

Aenra

*throws glove on ground at Aenra's feet*

/throws a rose and humbly calls it a day. Not here to argue. Really :)

(Exci calls me a retard about twice a week, lol, we still 'talk' just fine. I only mind when people switch my words into something else. Can't have a discussion like that.)

Max Heap

Arcane
I like it.
I also like that it's colorful.

I only played UU for the first time recently and I think it really fits that style well.
UU was never all that gritty. Perhaps UU2 was, with its realistic faces and characters - but UU1 never seemed like it tried to deliver a super realistic visual rendition. It seemed a lot like early D&D illustrations.
You had marble floor tiles and goofy monsters and a lot of pretty diverse, colorful textures. In fact every floor had a very clear, recognizable color scheme. So from a visual perspective I'm absolutely down with what I see here tbh.
Maybe break up the blue & orange a bit. Bring in some more distinguishable color schemes and I have basically nothing to complain about.

Aenra

UU1 was like.. revelation to me. First time ever a monster was actually coming towards me! It, UU2, they're the ones that hooked me. Ever since, first person was the way to go. Sadly, excluding 4 more games, that just never happened. Been waiting for a fifth since 2002, lol

I'm gonna be so butthurt with this one.. just no fucking way they'll come close, i just know it :negative:

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I like it.

I only played UU for the first time recently and I think it really fits that style well.
UUW doesn't look like fucking play-doh, shut the fuck up. I like how the tryhards suddenly turned this entirely about the color palette because it's the only argument they can make.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Don't like this art style they going with, everything looks like it was made of clay with some low resolution filter over it.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Well, this is how I feel, the art style isn't that impressive especially when you have indie games like Legends of Grimrock 1 and 2 that look better than this.

Max Heap

Arcane
I like it.

UUW doesn't look like fucking play-doh, shut the fuck up.

Obviously it didn't.
Equivalently it had some goofy as fuck enemy designs though.

1992_-_Ultima_Underworld_The_Stygian_Abyss.png

That also includes the gazers, the goblins or the zombies.
Don't act as if these were super serious and gritty.
There is an entire area based around a pacman easteregg, filled with blue ghosts for christ's sake.
You can argue that Otherside must improve the roughness of their surfaces, but design wise the visuals seem a-ok to me.

Max Heap

Arcane
You are pretty dramatic over something as miniscule as shifted smoothness values in Unity's PBR materials.

Either way, you'll have a hard time finding that "crisp" style, that you seem to crave so much, on a game with handpainted textures using normal mapping.
On the other hand you'll have a hard time finding normal mapping and most other lighting related shenanigans in those old crisp games (unless you use some kind of mod like the graphics overhaul for Quake 2 - which is technologically impressive but aesthetically looks like garbage)

So... I don't fuckin know.
Who gives a shit man...

Inveigh

Novice
I funded this, and I can tell you, with each passing update the taste becomes more bitter. Slow updates, with no substance aside from constantly trying to prove themselves in the graphics department. I couldn't give less of a fuck about the justification of their art direction. Show us something else, already.

I ASK INANE QUESTIONS

ITZ NEVER STOPS COOOMING
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It looks very mediocre. Whoever made this tried his best to make something inspired but failed because he lacked experience. Also, going for a stylized look was a huge and terrible milkshake.
Also, ban Excidium II.

Some of the details in the art direction reminds me of Oblivion/Skyrim but I still like the look of it. It does capture some of that tabletop miniatures / clay / early fantasy look for me. I am just worried that their emphasis on game systems might follow a limited and repetitive pattern like those of Ubisoft games.

Speaking strictly about the visuals, I don't necessarily dislike how this looks.
Well, how the scenario looks, actually. I'm fully expecting these lizardmen (and everything else) to have dreadful animations, going by these woody models lifted directly from 2004.

When it comes to mechanics, all we have is dozen of previous blogs stressing the game will entirely rely on dynamic systems... Which is a great pitch, assuming they'll be able to deliver on that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom